RA Yale tidbits

Nathan Murphy

Jul 12, 2020, 8:45:49 PM7/12/20
Yale descendant Prof. Mark Louden has brought to my attention baptismal records for gateway ancestor Thomas Yale [II] and his father Thomas Yale [I]:

Chester St Oswald, Cheshire parish register
--1616 May 6, Thomas Yale sonne to M’r Thomas Yale gentlm[an] bap’t 6

Lichfield St Michael, Staffordshire parish register
--1586 Apr 12, Thomas Yale filius Davidis Yale Doctoris legum baptizatus erat duodecimo die mensis Aprilis Anno d’ni 1586

These findings sparked new discoveries, see below. This is of course, the Yale family from whence Yale University derives it’s name (named after Elihu Yale [1649-1721], grandson of Thomas Yale [I]), though it’s unclear if it will retain this name, see #CancelYale Movement.

Additions to the Yale family account in RA:

Lichfield St Mary, Staffordshire parish register
--1584[/5] Jan 03, Doctor Yale & [blank] lloyd daughter of Doctor Lloyd [married]

Chester St Oswald, Cheshire parish register
--1613 Jul 14, Ann daughter to M’r Thomas Yale 14 July [bp.] [also came to New England]
--1614[/5] Jan 12, David sonne to M’r Thomas Yale bap’tus 12 [also came to New England]
--1616 May 6, Thomas Yale sonne to M’r Thomas Yale gentlm[an] bap’t 6 [Thomas II]
--1617 Jul 13, Frances Doughter to M’r Thomas Yale gent’ Bap’ta Julij decimo tertio [a sister to the immigrants who died as an infant:]
--1618 Jul 12, Frances Doughter to M’r Thomas Yale was buried the xijth of Julie
--1619 Nov 22, M’r Tho: yale Sep’tij 22 Novemb’ [father of the immigrants]

Chester St Oswald, Cheshire bishop’s transcripts
--1613 Jul 14, Ann Doughter to M’r Thomas Yale bap’ta 14 Julij [misindexed 1610 at findmypast/FamilySearch]
--1614[/5] Jan 12, David sonne to M’r Thomas Yale bap’tus 12 [David’s name misindexed ‘Dean’ at findmypast/FamilySearch]
--1618 Jul 12, Frances daughter to M’r Thomas yale was buried the xijth of Julie

Note: In the past, Thomas Yale [I], gentleman, of Chester St Oswald has been conflated with Thomas Yale, esquire, of Chester, who died prior to 27 August 1619, when his probate accounts were drawn up (NEHGR 53 [1899]:82-83). In contrast, Thomas of Chester St Oswald had not died by August, as he was buried 22 November 1619. I read through the probate paperwork of the esquire, now available on findmypast, and a daughter named Elizabeth Wright is mentioned. Thomas of Chester St Oswald is not known to have had a daughter by that name. The will of Thomas Yale, gent., father of the American immigrants, is published in TAG 20:30-33 (dated 15 October 1619, proved 27 March 1620), as well as this marriage license:

Chester Marriage Licences
--1612 Apr 13, Thomas Yale, son of David Yale, LL.D., Vicar-General of the Rt. Rev’d. Father in God George, by Divine Permission Lord Bishop of Chester, and Anne Lloyd, daughter of the said Bishop of Chester. Licence addressed to Thomas Mallorie, Clerk, B.D., Dean of Chester.
--Source: Wm. Fergusson Irvine, Marriage Licences Granted within the Archdeaconry of Chester in the Diocese of Chester, Vol. I: 1606-1616, Record Soc. of Lancashire and Cheshire 53 ([Chester,] 1907), 117, https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044098621378&view=1up&seq=131

In London, Thomas Yale II was apprenticed to Theophilus Eaton (his step-father, later first governor of New Haven Colony, Connecticut):

--Yale Thomas son of Thomas, Chester, Cheshire, gentleman to Theophilus Eaton 15 Jun 1636, Grocers' Company
(London Apprenticeship Abstracts, 1442-1850, findmypast)

The original apprenticeship binding should be on Family History Library film 1850808, but it is not available online, and inaccessible during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Guildhall Library has also closed it’s doors.

In Anderson’s The Great Migration Directory, Theophilus Eaton is stated to have emigrated in 1637 on the Hector (p. 102). Thomas Yale’s arrival in America is placed in 1638 (p. 389). Noting that Yale was Eaton’s apprentice, and had only been in his service for about a year, begs the question -- did they come to America together, rather than a year apart?

Additional parish register entries about the family of Dr. David Yale, father to Thomas [I]:

Lichfield St Michael, Staffordshire parish register
--1586 Apr 12, Thomas Yale filius Davidis Yale Doctoris legum baptizatus erat duodecimo die mensis Aprilis Anno d’ni 1586
--1588 Nov 18, Marie Yale the daughter of Doctor David Yale was baptized the xviijth day of November 1588
--1589 Dec 07, Georgius Yale filius Davidis Yale Doctoris legum baptizatus erat septimo die mensis Decembris 1589

Lichfield St Mary, Staffordshire parish register
--1584[/5] Jan 03, Doctor Yale & [blank] lloyd daughter of Doctor Lloyd [married]
--1587 Apr 06 Elizabeth yale d of David Yale Doctor [bp.]
--1588 Nov 18, [blank] Yale d of doctor yale [bp.]

Chester St Oswald, Cheshire parish register
--1590 Nov 10, David yale sonne to Doctor yale Chansler of Chester Bap’tus xmo die novembris
--1592 Jun 09, Elizabeth yale daughter to doctor yale Bap’ta 9no Junij
--1596 Oct 26, Elen yale daughter to M’r Doctor yale channsler Bap’ta 26 octobris
--1597 Oct 31, Hughe yale sonne to M’r Doctor yale chamsler [sic, one too many minims] of Chester Bap’tus 31 octobris
--1598 Dec 05, Richard yale sonne to David yale Chaunceler of Chester Bap’tus 5 dece:
--1601 Jun 25, Ales yale daughter to M’r Doctor yale baptisata xxvth of June
--1623[/4] Mar 02, M’rs Yale Sep’ta 2 March

Clarification of the identity of M’rs Yale in Chester St Oswald bishop’s transcripts:
--1623[/4] Mar 02, Frances Yale wife to M’r Doctor Yale Chancelor of Chester was buried in the Minster the second of March

Image of David Yale’s will:
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBPRS%2FCHS%2F748112552

I was working from indexes and images to Chester and Lichfield parish registers and bishop’s transcripts on findmypast/FamilySearch. I didn’t read through the entries year-by-year, but relied on their indexing to pull the references. A thorough reading might yield additional entries.

Nathan

wjhonson

Jul 14, 2020, 12:31:56 AM7/14/20
Not completely appropos, but just a tid, to let you know that Elizabeth (Yale) Wright was the wife of Edward /Wright/ of Bickley and Stretton, Chester; esq

They married at 2 Feb 1616 Oswestry, Shropshire (Batch M02071-1 wj)

Her father Thomas Yale of Plas-yn-Yale, esq was married firstly to Alice Roydon the elder co-heiress of Roger Roydon. By this union he also had a son, also named Thomas Yale esq who married Dorothy Bostock in 1619 Cheshire

Dorothy's parents were George /Bostock/ of Holt, co Denbigh and Dorothy /Calveley/

Just to place this person in their context.

celticp...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2020, 1:00:02 AM7/14/20
Great work, Nathan. Thorough job as usual.

DR

Nathan Murphy

Jul 14, 2020, 5:20:58 AM7/14/20
On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 11:00:02 PM UTC-6, celticp...@gmail.com wrote:
> Great work, Nathan. Thorough job as usual.
>
> DR

Thanks Doug. I hope you don't mind my sharing updates to your books in the news group. I think the additional detail is of interest to many people.

Cheers,

Nathan

Nathan Murphy

Jul 14, 2020, 5:22:32 AM7/14/20
Perfect. Thank you. I thought about looking into the identity of the other Thomas, but you beat me to it!

Cheers,

Nathan

John Higgins

Jul 14, 2020, 4:17:04 PM7/14/20
I'm not aware that this Thomas Yale had a second wife. He definitely isn't the Thomas Yale of Plas-Grono who married Anne Lloyd and was the grandfather of Elihu Yale and is referred to as Thomas Lloyd [I] in Nathan Murphy's post.

Who do you have as the 2nd wife of Thomas Yale of Plas-yn-Yale?

wjhonson

Jul 14, 2020, 7:46:50 PM7/14/20
This is reported in Burke's Landed Gentry

https://books.google.com/books?id=TJMWR99J89kC&pg=PA2061

By his first wife he had two daughters only

It was the second wife Margaret Puleston who was the mother of that Thomas Yale who m Dorothy Bostock

John Higgins

Jul 15, 2020, 12:38:12 AM7/15/20
Interesting...at least one of the various Welsh sources I saw cited did not show this 2nd marriage and made Alice Roydon the mother of the two daughters as well as Thomas.

Thanks for the BLG reference...