Jehuda Leib Segal

TomK

Feb 21, 1995, 11:05:31 PM2/21/95
I am grasping at straws to try and locate an 18th century ancestor of my
GOTTSCHALK family from north Germany.
Family legend has it that Marcus Gottschalk was born in Gehrden,
presumably Gehrden bei Hannover. He died in Braunschweig, and his grave
inscription read Mordecai ben Eli August ha Levi Segal.
My interpretation of this is Marcus is the German equivalent of Mordecai,
Eli is the Hebrew equivalent of August i.e. the revered, and finally,
Gottschalk which translate to "God's male servant (Gott + Schalk) is
roughly the equivalent of Segal, the servant of the Synogogue, a Levite.

My great grand father was the first born son of Marcus's marriage. He
was Louis (Levi) Gottschalk, but his grave inscription read "Jehuda ben
Mordecai ha Levi."
Using patronymics Marcus's father might have been Jehuda.

I found a Jehuda Leib Segal in Gehrden. Is it too much of a stretch to
identify this Jehuda Leib Segal as the same individual as Eli August Segal?

I would appreciate help on this from someone familiar with Hebrew names.

Thank you
Tom Krakauer
krak...@nando.net

researching :GOTTSCHALK, MOLLING, BENJAMIN in Hannover
KRAKAUER FROM POSEN AND BERLIN AND BRESLAU
BUTTERMILCH from Landeshut