Sicilian Church Records?

Amrap1

Dec 10, 2001, 9:25:54 PM12/10/01
Researching Marotta from Sant Agata, Messina. I have written to S.Agata
Archives and Messina Archives and received replies with alot of information.
When I wrote back to both, they said that was all the information they had.

I read that church records in Sicily were kept longer and more detailed.
If this is true, to whom do I write? Is there an "Archive" of church records
kept in Messina or in Sant Agata?

Hit the WALL,
Edward Marotta

pierre marie belbenoit-avich

Dec 11, 2001, 3:55:08 AM12/11/01

Amrap1 a écrit :

Hi,

When I was looking for my ancestors in Piemonte, I found quite a lot of
information in the local church where everything was kept since the Concilium of
Trente (XVI° century); but you have to find the good church ! Otherwise you can
also write to the religious local archives which are called Curia Vescovile.
Sometimes they have ancient records.

Pierre Marie

Steve Della Rocchetta

Dec 11, 2001, 9:58:48 PM12/11/01
Hi
I understand that there is records in Sicily and other parts of southern Italy
called "The State of the Family" Someone from this group listed the
details about it but I some how have lost it. Maybe that person will read this
response and publish it again. As I remmeber it the church would yearly do a
survey of the parish and the records where then kept some of the question would
of been. Has anyone passed on any children born how many people live here etc.
When I was a kid I remmeber that being done in the city of Philadelphia from
Saint Donato's Church.

Ciao Steve Della Rocchetta

Paula Nigro

Dec 15, 2001, 12:42:10 AM12/15/01
amr...@aol.com (Amrap1) wrote in message news:
<20011210212554...@mb-cn.aol.com>...

> Hit the WALL,
> Edward Marotta
---
See what is available at the State Archives for your town.
http://www.maas.ccr.it/PDF/Messina.pdf

Read all about Sicily Records here...
http://www.arduini.net/tools/tools01.htm

Did you ever write for the Military records, etc ?
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html

Or after the Holidays, try again! Write to the Civil Records Office
in the comune and request a: "Stato di Famiglia storico" (Historical
State of the Family)
In many places they are not complete for records before 1911 but I
have heard of comuni sort of creating ones from available records and
then going back to the 1750/1800s.

I couldn't find an active Church for Sant'agata, if there never was
one they might have used another one in the area. See if you can out
the name of the church your ancestors used.
If it isn't on the records you already received go to the LDS Mormon
Center Library and look up the records on the comune. They show that
they have the microfilms on the Census but they probably have other
records too
[Topic Italy, Messina, Sant'Agata - Census]
[ Titles Riveli di beni e anime, Faro Superiore (Messina), 1714-1748
Sicilia]

Use these tips when writing to the Church (if you find the name) or
the Bishop if you write him to request the name of the church for
Sant'agata :
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/Davids_form_letters.html

Diocese address for Messina:
MESSINA - (Regione Ecclesiastica Sicilia)
Arcivescovo: MARRA GIOVANNI
Via Garibaldi, 67
98100 MESSINA

Tel. 090/661747 - 090/672179
http://www.diocesimessina.net/

Best wishes,
Paula Marie Nigro
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/index.html

Amrap1

Dec 20, 2001, 8:06:37 PM12/20/01

Merry Christmas and thanks for the replies!

I have a postcard sent to me of a church possibly in Sant'Agata. It's called
"Duomo S. Maria Del Carmelo". I also have an older picture of the same church.
Do you have any information on this church?

Edward Marotta