Re: Anyone interested in the Mezzojuso comune of Sicily?

mccurt...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2017, 10:37:32 AM3/27/17
On Saturday, May 24, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Sal Lagattuta wrote:
> [...]
> well over a millennium, and its name derives from the Saracen Arab "Manzil
> Jusuf," meaning "the village of Joseph," purportedly named after its native
> leader Yusuf Ibd Abd Allah, who became a reigning Emir of Sicily. After
> the Normans completely conquered the Arabs of Sicily in 1090, the town was
> given by the Norman king Roger II, in 1132, to the Monastery of Saint John
> of the Hermits in Palermo.
>
> In 1490, 48 Albanian soldiers and their families (under the command of
> Giorgio and Basilio Reres, sons of the governor of Calabria, Demitrios
> Reres, a relative of the Albanian king Giorgio Castriota "Skanderbeg") were
> granted permission by the Monastery to settle in Mezzojuso, which had
> become increasingly depopulated by the late 1400's. Then, in 1527, the
> Monastery handed over the village as a fief to the noble lord Giovanni
> Corvino of Pisa, and thereafter Mezzojuso was held as a feudal land by
> various nobles until 1832, upon the death of the last lord, Francesco Paolo
> Corvino Filingeri.
>
> So, the rulers of Mezzojuso were: Saracen Arabs, prior to 1090;
> Normans, 1090-1132; Monastery of Saint John of the Hermits, 1132-1527;
> various nobles (Giovanni Corvino to Francesco Paolo Corvino Filingeri),
> 1527-1832; local political leaders (prior to Italian nationhood),
> 1832-1860; politically elected officials (since Italian nationhood),
> 1860-present.
>
> Mezzojuso is one of about a dozen towns/villages in Sicily that thus has a
> quite pronounced Italo-Albanian/Arberesh heritage. In the main piazza of
> Mezzojuso are: on the western perimeter of the piazza, the Castello Vecchio
> of the former nobles; on the northern perimeter of the piazza, the Latin
> rite matriarchal church of Maria Santissima Annunziata (between the
> Castello Vecchio and the Italo-Albanian/Arberesh matriarchal church), and
> the Byzantine rite matriarchal church of San Nicola di Mira (of the
> Italo-Albanians/Arberesh). Both matriarchal churches are of the same
> Catholic faith, although of different rites.
>
> By long-standing Mezzojuso tradition, if the husband and the wife are of
> different rites, then the wife (and any children) will take on the rite of
> the husband. Some surnames in Mezzojuso, therefore, are more closely
> aligned with either the Latin rite or the Byzantine rite. This is
> important, genealogically, because family ancestry can be traced according
> to the parish records of the two matriarchal churches, with paternal lines
> nearly always following directly back in either the Latin or Byzantine
> rite/matriarchal church, but the maternal lines (and maiden surnames) may
> "cross over" from the opposite rite (if the wife's rite and sometimes
> surname ancestry is different than that of the husband).
>
> I would really like to hear from anyone who has ancestry from Mezzojuso, or
> is interested in similar Italo-Albanian/Arberesh concerns.

Hi !! My name is Rita and my paternal grandmother and her ancestors were from Mezzojuso. Thier names were Sprofero,Carnesi, Schiro and Bonomo. I have been doing research on line for a couple of years and getting very little info. I am traveling there in May and hope I have more success. I'm not sure if they lived in Piana degli Albanesi ai 1700's-early 1800's. very disappointing to not have records.The name Schiro(my great great GM) is Alberesh .

mccurt...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2017, 10:52:12 AM3/27/17

Free Flights to Italy NGO

Mar 27, 2017, 4:19:22 PM3/27/17
> On Saturday, May 24, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Sal Lagattuta wrote:
>> Hi, all:
>>
>> My name is Salvatore Lagattuta, and I am a member of a small group of
>> persons on the Internet, who have ancestry from, or are interested in, the
>> comune of Mezzojuso, in the province of Palermo in Sicily.

> Hi !! My name is Rita and my paternal grandmother and her ancestors were from Mezzojuso. Thier names were Sprofero,Carnesi, Schiro and Bonomo.

It is unlikely that he will read your reply, because the message was
written 20 years ago…

--
https://www.freeflightstoitaly.ngo/genealogy.html

chriss...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2017, 5:17:09 PM8/12/17
Hi- I'm Christopher Sciales, son of William Sciales,
son of John Sciales son of Carmelo Sciales who
was married to a LaGattuta. Carmelo came to
NY to the lower East Side around the 1880s.
I grew up in Queens, now in Jersey.
Today flying to Sicily to visit Mezzojuso.
Any info appreciated!!
Regards Chris Sciales

Free Flights to Italy NGO

Aug 13, 2017, 1:42:27 AM8/13/17
> Any info appreciated!!
> Regards Chris Sciales

What information do you need?

--
https://freeflightstoitaly.ngo

Frank Masi

Nov 8, 2022, 8:21:28 PM11/8/22
Hello,
My parents are from Mezzojuso and I am trying to track my ancestors. I was hoping you might have some information. Thank you

Frank Masi

My Father is Andrea Masi 1934-1989
Grandfather Giuseppe Masi 1901-1965
Grandmother is Carmela Bisulca 1903-1982

My Mother Antonina Barna 1940-Living
Grandfather Francesco Barna 1898-1984
Grandmother Maria Rita Raimondi 1898-1953