Royal Irish Constabulary

Eileen M. Patton

Jul 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/15/00
I recently purchased "The Royal Irish Constabulary: A Complete
Alphabetical List of Officers & Men, 1816-1922"
by Jim Herlihy ( a wonderful work) . If anyone out there has an ancestor
that served in the RIC & would like me to do a look up for that person,
I would be happy to do so. The names are arranged alphabetically, and
give the person's service number. The service number allows researchers
to cross reference the forty two volumes of the Royal Irish Constabulary
General Registers of Service and Officers Registers held at the Public
Record Office, Kew; the microfilmed records held by the LDS Family
History Libraries; the National Archives in Dublin; the Garda Museum &
Archives and the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland.
Please list your ancestor's name and approximate time period
(especially important for common surnames) that you are looking for and
I will list the service number, and microfilm/microfiche reel number
that corresponds to where you will be able to find the record.
As an aside to cropangel, there are those of us on the list that are
here because we are seriously interested in genealogy & happy to do what
we can to help others that come to the list. We are just not as vocal
as many others. Stay awhile & see if there is anything you might be able
to do to help someone else.

Eileen

Barry Metz

Jul 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/15/00
Thank you for your kind offer.
My GGG Grandfather Garrett FitzGerald seems to have been a Constable
immediately he arrived in the Colony of New South Wales. He was then quickly
posted to Black Bob's Creek near Berima NSW. These facts lead me to believe
that he had prior police training and experience(which he had to have gained
in Ireland) when he arrived in New South Wales. If you could look him up
for me I would appreciate it.
I suspect that he would have been RIC in the late 1840's or early 1850's
Eileen M. Patton <patton...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Lois

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
Eileen

I am not after a look up but to whole heartedly agree with your comments to
encourage people to stay awhile. I have had some marvellous help from this
group and it is usually from ones that keep pretty quite and just help
others in the background.

Lois in Western Australia

Eileen M. Patton <patton...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I recently purchased "The Royal Irish Constabulary: A Complete
> Alphabetical List of Officers & Men, 1816-1922"
> by Jim Herlihy ( a wonderful work) . If anyone out there has an ancestor
> that served in the RIC & would like me to do a look up for that person,
> I would be happy to do so.

<snip>

John & Marie Sampson

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
Hi Eileen,
May I take advantage of your wonderful offer? I am after Thomas O'BRIEN who
was born c 1840 ( in Kerry I think ) , joined the RIC about 1860 and served
in Corrofin where he met and married Sarah ROBERTS. He then came to
Australia where he joined the New South Wales police 1863. It would be great
to get at his records as I have never been able to find a record of his
marriage in Corrofin or his immigration into Australia.
Your offer is a real boost. Researching Ireland from afar is generally
disheartening, but you've rekindled my enthusiasm.
Marie Sampson
Western Australia

John O'Hara

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
I would be pleased if you could tell me anything about Edward O'Connor who
was born in 1877 and I think served with the RIC in Dublin, Many thanks,

John

ah...@world.std.com

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
See "The Royal Irish Constabulary; a Short History and Genealogical
Guide" by Jim Herlihy, co-founder of the Garda Museum, Dublin Castle.
You can also contact Jim Herlihy, Blarney Garda Station, Co. Cork,
Ireland, (E-mail: jher...@iol.ie).

Paperback #14.95/$27.50 plus postage and packaging. In USA it can be
obtained from International Specialized Book Services, Porltand, Oregon.
To order the book in North America, contact: ord...@isbs.com

Also: "The Royal Irish Constabulary: A Complete Alphabetical List of
Officers and Men 1816-1922" published by Four Courts Press, Dublin, 1999
ISBN 1-85182-502-9 Hardback, pp. xxxiv, 488; price #30.00 (in Ireland)

See: http://www.four-courts-press.ie
Four Courts Press

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/7900/museum.html
Garda Siochána Museum/Archives

http://www.ihaonline.com/cgi-bin/ihaonline/articles/viewarticle.cgi?IHA411
RIC Pamplet from the Irish at Home and Abroad

http://www.pro.gov.uk/leaflets/ri011.htm
Records Of The Royal Irish Constabulary at PRO

These, and other useful links, can be reached from the TIARA web site.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Dennis Ahern | The Irish Ancestral Research Association
Acton, Massachusetts | Dept. W, P.O. Box 619, Sudbury, MA 01776
ah...@world.std.com | http://www.tiara.ie

Patty Pickett

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
To go along with this Dennis Ahern's RIC message, here are the LDS film
numbers that go with the service numbers. There are 31 rolls of film.

Film number service numbers years covered
0856057 1-4000 1816-1840
0856058 4001-8000 1840-1846
0856059 8001-1200 1846-1848
0856060 12001-15890 1848-1852
0856061 15891-19640 1852-1855
0856062 19641-21530 1855-1857
0856063 21431-27200 1857-1861
0856064 27201-31000 1861-1865
0856065 31001-35000 1865-1868
0856066 35001-39000 1868-1872
0856067 39001-43000 1872-1877
0856068 43001-47000 1877-1881
0856069 47001-49000 1881-1882
0852088 49001-53000 1882-1888
0852089 53001-57000 1888-1895
0852090 57001-61000 1895-1902
0852091 61001-65000 1902-1909
0852092 65001-69000 1909-1917
0852093 69001-73000 1917-1920
0852094 73001-77000 1920
0852095 77001-81000 1920-1922
0852104 81001-83747
0852096 Index 1816-1817, 1868-1883
0852097 Supplemental film 1817-1883
0852098 Supplemental film 1884-1921
0852099 Supplemental film to V 48, 49, 51, not indexed
0852100 nominal returns by Co, 19th -20th C
volumes 52-54
0852101 Volumes 55-57
0852102 Volumes 58-60
0852103 Volumes 61, 62, legal decisions/ 63
0852110 Intelligence Notices in the 19th and 20th Century
0852104 1816-1922 misc.
There are also microfiche on the RIC which do not circulate to the FHC's -
6344743, 6344782
Hope this helps someone.
I have only one of them at my FHC. 0856060 which
covers 1848-1852, as there was a Michael Pickett on
it. He was not mine, but should you find a name in the
lookups being done and order the film you will find
interesting information on the individual.
A standard entry looks something like this -

12051 Jno Hartny, 21 years old, 5' 7 5/8"tall, of Waterford, Catholic,
Recommended by Sir Chas Shew, JP, was a laborer, enl 9-18-1848, assigned to
Depot, then Clare 1-8-1849, Discharged 9-1-1849 and paid a gratuity 8-1-1857
for 8 years 11 m of service,
18/8s/2d (sorry I can't remember how to make that pound sign to go with the
18 number)

or

12052
Pat Murphy, 20, 5' 73/4", of Tipp N, Catholic, married while in service
5-1-1861 to a woman from Wicklow, recommended by Caleb Goring, JP, was a
laborer, enl 9-18-1848, assigned to Depot, then Rosc 1-3-1849, Kildare
1-15-1852, Wicklow, ranks of P1SC 1-1-1850, PACon 12-1-1865, PCon 1-1-1867,
pensioned 3-20-1879 after 30 years 6 m of service, 71 pounds pension.

Jon Martin

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
Hi Dennis

<snip>
> Garda Sioch搖a Museum/Archives

>http://www.ihaonline.com/cgi-bin/ihaonline/articles/viewarticle.cgi?IHA411
> RIC Pamplet from the Irish at Home and Abroad

This website is not accessable - is there an error in it?

Cheers,
Jon Martin.

ah...@world.std.com

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
Jon Martin (J.Ma...@genetics.unimelb.edu.au) wrote:

: >http://www.ihaonline.com/cgi-bin/ihaonline/articles/viewarticle.cgi?IHA411

: > RIC Pamplet from the Irish at Home and Abroad

: This website is not accessable - is there an error in it?

Works for me, although it now asks for a fee to view the actual article
whereas previously it was viewable for free.

-dja

Siswomen

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
AM LOOOKING FOR MORE INFORMATION ON A JOHN TREACY #5410 TO DETERMINE IF HE IS
INDEED "OUR" JOHN TREACY. SPECIFIALLY DEATH DATE,WIFE NAME, WHERE PESNION SENT
TO AFTER HIS DEATH(WIFES NAME ETC I HAVE OTHER POSSIABLES BUT THIS IS MOST
LIKELY THANKS KATY SISW...@AOL.COM

Patty Pickett

Aug 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/26/00
I had an opportunity to review the LDS microfilm for this census the other
night at my local Family History Center. This is film number 0597735. I was
looking for the McGinniss family from Chamberstown. While reading the
various
pages (and naturally finding Chamberstown near the very end) I was struck by
some pieces of information found. The data that I found varied greatly,
from
census taker to census taker. Here is a small example of what I mean:

1821, Donaghmore, listed in the Townland of Donaghmore, Co Meath, PLU of
Navan:

Notes of the census taker/observations, or however they phrased the column

"About the center of this parish (Donaghmore) are the ruins of an old Church
with a burial grounds well enclosed with an iron gate and at the easta end
of the Church? not sure of the word station an old round tower in poor
preservation,
the entrance to which is a (sic) least 12 feet above the earth. "

I found the Matt McGinniss family in Chamberstown, age 45, a laborer, with
sons Patt 17, John 14, daughters Jane 11 and Mary 9. In the same place I
found the several Reilly's (Francis and Margaret and children Margaret and
Cath; Richard and Ann and children Margaret,Cath, Anne and Eliza). Also
several McInleer families - Pat McInleer 62 a farmer, Jane wife 55, David
18, Matth 16, Patt 14, Mary 25, Anne 22 and Jane 10, and next door to them
wass Margaret McInleer 40, widow, farmer, John 26, laborer, Chris son 20
James 11 son and Margaret Goggins, 17, House servant.

In nearby Ladyrath, Rathkenny, Lower Meath wass this family, # 6, Nicholas
Lamb 25, Margaret wife 26, James 4 son and Mary 1 daughter, and living with
them were Thomas Bartley 13, Joseph Bartley 10 and Christian Bartley female,
age 14, all "pauper children". I found many entries for paupers, living
here and
there in the county. There were other McInleer families nearby - # 11, John
McInleer 45, laborer, James 12, Michl 7, Chris 1, and dau Cath 9; # 12
James McInleer 45, Margaret wife 45, Chas son 15, Michael 14, John 12, James
4, Thomas 1, Catherine 13 and Margaret 10. Many families named
"Carry", and Trainor and Mohan. There were many other McGinniss families
and Tiernans. Also Powderly names and Plunkett, and Smyth and McCann.
One of my friends used this film and reported excitedly to me that she had
found a slew of Pickett names on it but they turned out to be Plunketts!!!!

Patt McGinniss married a Carry girl, Jane, and they came over in 1851.
Patt's brother in law was a Reilly. Some of the McG family ended up in
Wallingford and some of them headed off to Wisconsin. The Trainor girls
married McGinniss boys, and they came to Wallingford too. Bryan Reilly
did as well. As did the Tiernans, and the Patrick and Mary McInleer
family. I have an extensive family history done on this family. In my
attempt
to research all of my names (Kennedy,Lucas,Sullivan,Usher,O'brien, Pickett,
Flynn, Conlin, Radigan,Hester, Mann, Duggan, Donnelly, Cunningham)
I decided to work up histories of the Irish families from my home town to
see if any of my names intermingled. They did not, but as I said, I have
a very good history of the McInleer family if anybody is seeking them,
even down to a 90+ year old cousin in the family who is living in
California.
But none of this ever yielded my families. Ii really liked those McInleers
though.
The small town of Wallingford, VT, was mostly a farming community but there
were two small hand tool manufacturing plants that popped up in the 1800's -
the True Temper (made rakes, hoes, etc.) and American Manufacturing Co.
Some of my family members worked there.

All of my ancestors came from Ireland between 1840-1867. I have varying
amounts of data on each of my family names. Most of us know that we can't
really do justice to any of them if we try to research all at the same time,
and so for some time I have concentrated on my Pickett family from Cork.
I did not start doing this research until after my father had died, and
there
were none left in the family to ask questions of. In a small Catholic
parish
in Dorset VT I found a death record for Michael Pickett, who died in 1901,
the earliest Pickett that I can find, and it lists his parents are Michael
Pickett
and Marguerite/Margaret Flynn of County Cork. I have had contact with the
Mallow Heritage Center and Cloyne is out, and was advised to consider
Cork and Ross. To that end I have ordered and have on permanent loan
at the LDS the 14 available volumes in the O'Kief series. I extracted every
Pickett name on the list with the exception of a few very early ones. No
sign of them anywhere. I have tried to use the surname distribution report
from the Casey films for 1851 to pinpoint likely areas, and correlate them
any tidbits of data I have found, and still no luck. I was told that at the
time
of the Tithes there was a Michael Pickett in Cork, in the Mallow/Lodgee
area, but have not done anything yet with that, frankly for lack of knowing
how to proceed.

How I wish there was an 1821 census for Cork to use as I did this one.
I went to the LDS site and found there are snippets of Creagh, Aghadown,
Drinagh and Lismore that are listed as 1841 Cork remnants (did not quite
sound right and I did not check the locations out yet on Sean Ruad's site)
and then there is the Josephine Masterson (sp?) book with 1851 remnants.
I have yet to buy that. I dont say this to be negative about the book, but
wish that I could find the remnants available on microfilm so that I could
see it for myself. I guess I am a doubting Thomas unless I can confirm or
deny on my own.
Hope springs eternal, however, and maybe I will find Michael Pickett
eventually. In the meantime I will have learned a great deal of Irish
history,and
that is a wonderful thing for me.

Jorge Lopez

Aug 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/26/00
Patty,
The Masterson book you mention is available through the FHL, although not on
microfilm. Here's the info:

Title County Cork, Ireland, a collection of 1841/1851 census records
Stmnt.Resp. by Josephine Masterson
Authors Masterson, Josephine (Main Author)
Notes Includes abstracts from the 1851 census records of the Union of
Kilworth, consisting ot the parishes of Kilcrumper, Kilworth and portions of
Leitrim and Macroney, alphabetized by townland found on photocopy of a
transcription from the National Archives, Dublin, and abstracts from the
burnt fragments and other minor sources for the 1841 census of County Cork.
Subjects Ireland, Cork - Census - 1841 Ireland, Cork, Kilcrumper - Census -
1851 Ireland, Cork, Kilworth - Census - 1851 Ireland, Cork, Leitrim -
Census - 1851 Ireland, Cork, Macroney - Census - 1851
Call Number Location
941.95 X2mj FHL BRITISH Book
Format Books/Monographs
Language English
Publication [Indianapolis, Indiana : Josephine Masterson], 1993
Physical 125 p.
Subject Class 941.95 X2

Happy hunting,
Chris L.

Kathy Lott

Aug 27, 2000, 12:11:44 AM8/27/00
>From: pat...@sover.net (Patty Pickett)

>I decided to work up histories of the Irish families from my home town to
>see if any of my names intermingled.

>The small town of Wallingford, VT, was mostly a farming community but there

>were two small hand tool manufacturing plants that popped up in the 1800's -

Vermont has some real "hot beds" of Irish settlers. In Northfield the
headquarters for the Vermont Central RR was there in the the mid-1800s as well
as abandoned farms, slate quarries, and in nearby Barre, granite quarries.
There are 2 Catholic graveyards, one of them, the older, is full of Irish, a
great deal from Kerry, Cork, and Clare. Not only did Donahue brothers settle
there but Doherty sisters, McCauliffes, Lynch siblings, McCarty, McCarthy,
Kelly, Sploid (Sployd), Hurley, Flinn, Flood, Doney, to name just a few. The
thing that hurts is to see all the old marble markers, many which have parent
info and/or counties of birth on them being destroyed by the acid rain and the
information being lost. In the case of my family, in 20 years the info has
vanished - but we recorded it before it was gone. The gravestones are the only
thing we had that told us they had come from Glenflesk and connected one of the
brothers to the others (his parents were on the gravestone - not in the vital
records). All the oral history had become extremely distorted.

Kathy Lott

Pker...@cs.com

Aug 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/27/00
The mention of headstone information that may record the place of origin in
Ireland being in danger of destruction leads me to suggest that those in a
position to do so, might consider copying this data in a cemetery near them.
I have done this for St. Mary Cemetery in Norwich, CT, where my own Irish
emigrant ancestors are buried. I found that about 300 of the several thousand
stones contained this info-of county, parish or townland in Ireland. I plan
to do others, if possible. Admittedly, some cemeteries where many immigrant
Irish are buried are now in dangerous parts of larger cities and one would be
prudent to have a group effort copy these stones.
Paul Keroack, Stratford, CT

Patty Pickett

Sep 2, 2000, 9:59:30 PM9/2/00
For the month of September, and it includes obituaries. I did a quick run
through for 1995 and got the first 500 of over 2600 names and found
obits for Ireland based Irish men and women as well ass local ones.

http://www.boston.com/freearchives/

just in case this is of use to someone.

Patty Pickett

Sep 2, 2000, 10:01:37 PM9/2/00
Oops I am correcting that really bad typo from my first message and I
apologize profusely.
Patty

Sep 5, 2000, 11:34:57 AM9/5/00
ad.Colthirst (adcol...@sprint.ca) wrote:
: Yes, but you omitted to tell readers that one has to be registered with the
: Globe to read any archive.

From what I saw of it, the registration is free for September. Ordinarily,
you have to pay to access this archive. The deal is, you give them a
cookie, they let you milk their data.

-dja

ad.Colthirst

Sep 5, 2000, 8:55:59 PM9/5/00
Well, thhere is no such thhing as a "Free Lunch"

and thhat goes for photographs that are copyrighted!!

ah...@world.std.com

Sep 6, 2000, 5:29:33 PM9/6/00
ad.Colthirst (adcol...@sprint.ca) wrote:
: Well, thhere is no such thhing as a "Free Lunch"

: and thhat goes for photographs that are copyrighted!!

If you are suggesting that my recommendation of a website that had a nice
selection of photographs of Ireland was somehow tainted because they have
a copyright notice then you are barking up the wrong tree. I was not
suggesting to anyone that they ake those photos and use them on their
website, or in some commercial application. I simply said that I have
downloaded some of them to use as wallpaper on my desktop. That is the
electronic equivalent of cutting a pretty picture out of a magazine and
taping it on your wall.

As for the TINSTAAFL Boston Globe remark, if I can find something I need
during the time their archive is searchable for free, and it induces me to
later become a subscriber, then we have both won.

Got any other axes you'd like ground?

-dja

ad.Colthirst

Sep 6, 2000, 7:12:25 PM9/6/00
Yes ! indeed I do ( that was a good old song) the copyright on the
photographs stated
" All rights reserved", And the only stated exception to those rights were ,
words to this effect: " ...may be downloaded for Student use in homework
assignments...."; it did NOT state "... may be downloaded as " Wallpaper".
For someone such as you, who operates a "Non-Profit Association" then what
you did and "suggested" indirectly to others is contrary to the Copyright
statement, and copyright Law of the registered owner. It's as simple as
that - check it out with your Association's legal firm, if it has one.

ah...@world.std.com

Sep 7, 2000, 12:44:36 PM9/7/00
ad.Colthirst (adcol...@sprint.ca) wrote:
: Yes ! indeed I do ( that was a good old song) the copyright on the

: photographs stated
: " All rights reserved", And the only stated exception to those rights were ,
: words to this effect: " ...may be downloaded for Student use in homework
: assignments...."; it did NOT state "... may be downloaded as " Wallpaper".

But their web page DOES state:

"Users of this web site may use photos for personal travel planning
purposes and personal non-commercial educational projects."

which certainly falls within the category of my use. If I did not have a
pretty picture of Ireland on my desktop to remind me of where I plan to go
on my vacation, I doubt I could make it through the workday.

: For someone such as you, who operates a "Non-Profit Association" then what

: you did and "suggested" indirectly to others is contrary to the Copyright
: statement, and copyright Law of the registered owner. It's as simple as
: that - check it out with your Association's legal firm, if it has one.

I do not "operate a non-profit association". I happen to be the webmaster
for the website of the Irish Ancestral Research Association. I do not
speak for them in any official capacity, nor was I using the TIARA
signature block in the response in question. And if you want to try and
claim I am using the name of a trademarked character, i.e. "Dennis the
Menace", you'll have to speak to my mother because she swears that Hank
Ketcham got the idea from me in the first place.

Dennis [the Menace]