Struggling to Identify Town Name in Donegal

Sarah Jessop

Dec 15, 2020, 11:20:05 PM12/15/20
Hi there,
I have an ancestor, Patrick Duggan, who we've struggled to track back to Donegal (born between 1881-1883). There's one clue we've been trying to crack and have had no luck yet. On his WWII US Draft Registration, Patrick lists his home town as what looks like "Fiedlanity" or "Ciedlanidty." I have the .jpeg of the registration and it's in his handwriting.

We don't have many other clues. We have his parents' names: Neil Duggan and Mary Harrison. Although I've tried looking at NLI Parish Records, and done extensive searches through Family Search / Ancestry, as well as some hunting via DNA logic trees, I haven't been able to find them.

Does this spelling look or sound like any town or village names in Donegal (~ 1880) in Irish? Patrick spoke Irish and English.

Thanks,
Sarah

Trish Loughman

Feb 9, 2021, 4:30:34 AM2/9/21

Looking at the card on ancestry, it looks to me like it is the word Ireland written over the word County.

Trish