Clonmel Assizes Records - 1832

TC

Feb 16, 2001, 5:19:02 AM2/16/01
My convict ancestor (James Cummins) was convicted at the Spring Assizes,
Clonmel Co Tipperary on the 19 March 1832. The trial was reported in the
Tipperary Free Press on the 24 March 1832.

Is it possible that records might still exists of this trial and if so can
somebody point me in the right direction to obtain these records.

Also, as the crime was committed in July 1831 and trial was not conducted in
until March 1832, and the ship which transported them to Australia (Eliza)
did not sail until 10 May 1832. I have a few gaps to fill in, can anybody
help with some ideas where the prisoners may have been kept in the time
between crime, trial and transprotation?

Maura

Feb 16, 2001, 6:33:38 PM2/16/01
Records for Clonmel are held within County Waterford, not Tipperary.

See the County Waterford page
http://community.webtv.net/waterfordroots/waterford

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Maura Petzolt mpet...@webtv.net
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
SHAMROCK ROOTS homepage

Helpful Hints for Successful Searching

Vicki Smith

Feb 16, 2001, 7:56:27 PM2/16/01
to TC
Like TC my ancestor (Cornelius Slattery and his brother Michael Slattery) were
tried at Clonmel but at the Summer Assizes in 1832 - on 25th October. The
sentence that they received - to be transported for 7 years - was published in
the Tipperary Free Press on 14Nov1833. My Cornelius and his brother Michael
together with Thady(alias Timothy Heany/ Heney - Michael, William and Jas Moylan
- Joseph Ryan - Edmond, Michael and Darby Loughan/Loughnane - were convicted of
Manslaughter.
Would love to find out details of their crime.
Where might I search to find these.
TIA
Vicki

steven smyrl

Feb 17, 2001, 7:49:41 AM2/17/01
Dear all,

Unfortunately, the vast majority of assize records were destroyed in the
fire that consumed the Public Record Office of Ireland in 1922. The records
themselves form part of the records of the offices of the Crown & Peace -
one office for each county. Because of the destruction, the most likely
source now existing that would give details about the cases held before the
criminal sessions of the Assize Courts are newspapers. One should always
check all newspapers from the area around the place one is interested in,
as newspapers (just like today) will give differing accounts.

Cheers,

Steven Smyrl APGI

TC <ttjjs....@bigpond.com> wrote in message

cecilia

Feb 17, 2001, 5:37:32 PM2/17/01
E.g., in this case, the Clonmel Chronicle

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 12:49:41 -0000, "steven smyrl" <sm...@indigo.ie>
wrote:

>.... details about the cases held before the

>criminal sessions of the Assize Courts
>are newspapers. One should always

>check all newspapers from the area ....

LOflaherty

Feb 23, 2001, 5:32:55 PM2/23/01
I don't know if this will be of help to those looking for convict info but its
something I received from Ireland-

"In the state papers office in Dublin Castle are a number of collections of
official papers dealing with convicts and transportation. They have been fully
described in three publications: The Irish Australians, edited by Richard Reid
and Keith Johnson- From Shamrock to Wattle, by Trevor McClaughlin and
Transportation, Ireland- Australia, 1798-1848 by Brandon MacGiolla Choille.
There is also a collection called Outrage Papers.

In the State Archives in Sydney, Aust there is a collection of material
relating to the various assisted passage schemes of the 19th century. With in
the collection is 62 boxes of Immigration Dept Correspondence for the period
1848 to 1869.
Maybe some of that would be of help.
Cheers
Louise

jackea...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2019, 7:22:50 AM7/7/19
My ancestor James Cummins, brother of Thomas. Trial details available British Newspaper Archives. Payment necessary except I managed most of the information with temporary access. May pay for the end part regarding Cummins defence. It was perhaps left off or on continuing page. They were kept n a hulk until they sailed to Port Jackson, NSW. Then as convicts one worked at Appin, the other at Penrith, NSW.
John Eastlake
Merimbula
NSW

Elias Jamieson Brown

Jul 26, 2021, 2:14:44 AM7/26/21
Hey John,

I'm also related to James Cummins - looks like he's my 3rd great-grandfather. I'm just wondering if you were able to access records of his trial and defence?