Richard Aylett d 1660 Killencrott/Killenowt, co Cavan

Ruth Aylett

Apr 12, 2021, 7:13:30 AM4/12/21
I am looking for information on a Richard Aylett, cited in the 15th Report of the Records or Ireland (1825) which has a 1667 entry reporting the remarriage of his widow Jane at Killencrott, co Cavan to an Abraham Clement. The index to prerogative wills also names him as of Killenowt, co Cavan, for a 1660 will.

Neither place name comes up in current lists and the variants suggest transcription problems - does anyone know where they might refer to? I assume the will may no longer be extant; the 1667 ref suggests Aylett's heir was a nephew, John Martin.

I assume Richard may have been part of Cromwell's army - he is likely to originate in Essex, which was mostly Parliamentarian. Looking for any further data: the marriage to Jane (which may have been in Ireland and possibly in the 1650s), any possible sources for when he acquired the land in question, and burial.

Patrick Griffith

Sep 15, 2021, 4:07:16 PM9/15/21
Can't really tell you anything about Richard Aylett.

Abraham Clements, prob. b. at Ansley, Warwickshire, married first, Elizabeth _____, who d. and was buried October 1656 at Coventry, Warwickshire. Abraham died 5 April 1677.

Jane (_____) Aylett Clements m. third, Walter Burton of Ballinagauron (???), co. Cavan.

Killencrott/Killencratt appears to refer to Kilnacrott, Parish of Crosserlough, co. Cavan. (https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/castlerahan/crosserlough/kilnaleck/kilnacrott/)

See: Clement, Percival Wood, Ancestors and Descendants of Robert Clements of Leicestershire and Warwickshire, England, First Settler of Haverhill, Massachusetts, Vol. I (Philadelphia: Paterson & White Co., 1927): https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/281709