An ignorant question about hispanic/spanish geneology

Steve

Aug 3, 2003, 4:08:46 PM8/3/03
Hi;

I live in the washington dc metro area and have recently moved to a
very ethnically mixed area with a lot of hispanics.

I've become curious about the genealogy of hispanics and spaniards.

I've read that most spaniards and latin americans with money are of
caucasian/european stock. Is this true?

Are there many native brown skinned people in Spain? Are they the
result of proximity to nothern africa?

Almost all of the hispanics I have met have been brown skinned people.
Some have caucasian looking faces, many others have wide faces with
high cheekbones and small eyes. Is the later group the result of
native american genetics?

Does south america still have a visible/significant native american
population.

I have also noticed that many hispanics in my area are of very small
stature.
Is this a genetic thing or the results of poverty.

No offense to anyone, I am just literally ignornant of these things
and legitimately curious.

Steve

Jean René Yharrassarry

Aug 3, 2003, 5:29:03 PM8/3/03
Hy Steve,

Christopher Colombus was not a tall man. South inhabitants of Europa
where generally not tall and with skin which is adapted to sunny country
that means, skin become brown under the sun. But as any rule, this one
has execption as Andalusia people has blue eies inherited from Vandal
people originating from Germany. The most important migrations in Europe
took place from north to south and even the muslim warriors which
occupied Spain where for some part children of this northern migrants.

When they arrived in America, the spanish and portuguese navigators get
spouses or concubines in the local population (named Indian) originating
from Asia. Depending on the following unions, the european or the asian
blood dominated.

Do you know why hispanic mexican women do not shave her legs? To show
that they have natural hair that indian women do not have !

As power and money was in the hand of hispanic part of population, they
prefered mary together, but objective was not allways obtained so that
hispanic children where born with mongolian mark.

This events took place principay in central america, in south america an
other mixing took place with african slaves.

J.R. Yharrassarry

Steve a *crit :

--
Jean-René Yharrassarry
pour m’écrire, 100 s’écrit en lettres

Luckyjoe

Sep 4, 2003, 11:16:26 AM9/4/03

Steve, not all hispanics have brown skin. I am a fifth generation
Mex-Am and have fair skin, but because I live in the south gets tanned
in the summer months. My son is very fair complexion, but two of my
sisters did not inherit the light skin from my mom. If you travel to
Mexico, even a border town such as Tijuana, you will see many women
with blonde hair, green/hazel/blue eyes. Many times in San Diego you
may be next to a woman you thought was caucasian and it turns out
she's Mexican. The Spanish took up wives from the local women (Aztec,
Maya, or Inca populations), so yes you could say there is european
blood in Mexicans/Latin Americans, but not all Spaniards were fair
skin. Take a trip to Mexico, you might surprised that beautiful blonde
you've had your eye on is Mexican. And fair skin in Mexico does not
always equate to fortune. You could rich or poor, genes have no
favor.

Esteban Trento

Sep 9, 2003, 10:50:19 AM9/9/03

> >I've read that most spaniards and latin americans with money are of
> >caucasian/european stock. Is this true?

This is partially true. It depends on many things. During the late
19th Century to the 1930s, when racists theories where at its peak,
many whealthy Hispanic Americans married European immigrants, esp. if
they were of Northern European stock (or if they look like it). But
not all did, and Genetics are quite umpredictable sometimes.

> >Are there many native brown skinned people in Spain? Are they the
> >result of proximity to nothern africa?

Not at all. Most of what you may see nowadays are immigrants.
In two or three generations, you wouldn't notice a difference of 1/8
or 1/16 of native blood, and immigration from the Americas to Spain
was very rare; the oposite was the most common.

> >Almost all of the hispanics I have met have been brown skinned people.

Maybe they were the only ones you noticed that were hispanics. Many
others probably passed as American.

> > Some have caucasian looking faces, many others have wide faces with
> >high cheekbones and small eyes. Is the later group the result of
> >native american genetics?

There are many theories regarding the origin of native Americans. If
you have the opportunity to see real aborigins you'll notice a lot of
differences among them.

> >Does south america still have a visible/significant native american
> >population.

It depends on the country you are talking. And sometimes even the
region or province.

Some natives were very aggresive, esp. those who lived in the plains,
and do not merge with Spanish settlers. In those areas, such as
Central Argentina and some parts of Colombia, the ethnical Spaniards
were known as "criollos". Most of their grandchildren remained white.

Besides, many natives died out of deseases or extermination. For
instance, in Argentina most indians were exterminated in the second
half of the 19th Century.

At the same time that natives were anhilated, the Government looked
for European immigrants everywhere. Nowadays, between 60% and 80% of
Argentinians descend from these immigrants.

> >I have also noticed that many hispanics in my area are of very small
> >stature.
> >Is this a genetic thing or the results of poverty.

Both. Food composition is one of the causes of small stature, e.g.
Japanese people -either rich or poor- used to be very small until the
end of World War II when Japan fully opened to foreign culture.
Besides, in Southern Europe people tend to be of smaller stature than
in Northern Europe, but this is changing with globalization.

Regards,

Esteban

Monifa

Sep 9, 2003, 11:55:54 PM9/9/03
FYI, there are Hispanics so fair they consider themselves white (I've met a
few). And then there is myself, not a Hispanic but a descendant of a Puerto
Rican and I am African American. My own Puerto Rican grandfather appears
Negro, save his "brownish" skin. His hair was soft but rather curly. There
is no "set definition" of races anymore my friend. As the world grew and we
mingled with each other, the colors of our children, the texture of their
hair, and yes even the length of their legs vary. Alas, the thickness of
your bankbook today, in may corners of the world, depends not on the color
of your skin. I know dirt poor white people, wealthy Hispanics and middle
class Russians all living on the same island and this is just a small
community.

My advice: television promotes stereotypes. Read and immerse yourself as
much as possible amounts different cultures. The truest way to know a
people is to live amongst them.

m~

"Luckyjoe" <luckyjoe711_@yahoo_.com.nospam> wrote in message

CMT...@aol.com

Sep 10, 2003, 8:01:02 AM9/10/03
I don't know where the concept of Hispanic became that of a race. Hispanic
is a culture, the speaking of a language. African American is also a culture
in my book, a heritage not a race. Races, as far as I was taught, refers to
the look, the bone structure of a group of "people". Japaneese American or
Chineese American would not be considered a race, i don't think. They do however
share in physical makeup. I always heard of Negroid as a race with common
physical structure and caucasian as a race. That all of these races are mixing
is a fact, however, the cultures that go along with where a person was born,
the language they speak and the social activities they share are the culture to
which they belong.

My husband and I consider ourselves Spanish American since both our families
hail from Spain. Because Spain invaided most of the Americas, the native
peoples either mixed with them or adopted many of their customs as well as their
language. We have convieniently grouped all of this into Hispanic. My husband
and I consider ourselves of the Caucasian Race but the Hispanic culture.
There are Negros who are Hispanic, there are Asian or Orientals who are Hispanic,
in fact, the largest Japaneese population ourside of Japan lives in Peru, but
are Hispanic.

I think we (Americans) have confused Race with Culture.

Thanks for letting add my 2 cents.

CucoLloren

Jul 9, 2004, 6:56:04 PM7/9/04
in article 6f8cb8c9.03080...@posting.google.com, Steve at
steves...@yahoo.com wrote on 8/3/03 1:08 PM:

Hi Steve,

hispanics are spaniards, some hispanics are mixed race, but some hispanics
are caucasian spaniards(not mixed race).

yes for the most part, most spaniards and latin americans with money are of
causcasian/european stock.

yes there are many native brown skinned people in spain. yes you might say
that is it the result of proximity to northern africa. most of the brown
skinned people in spain are of moorish decent. the moors had control of
southern spain for about 700 years. in modern times many north african
people have imigrated to spain, especially the decendants of the moorish
people.

most of the hispanics you have met are of mixed-race and have brown skin;
but not all mixed-race hispanics are brown skinned, some look like any other
caucasian-spaniard. most brown skinned hispanics are the result of
caucasian spaniards intermarriage with the various tribes of "indians" in
the "new world," including north and south america. some "indian" tribes in
the carribian islands are also part of the mixing of races to produce brown
skinned hispanics. most of the brown skinned hispanics in the united states
are mexicans.

no most of south america's native population had died of diseases brought
from europe by the spanish and portuguese. there are a few native tribes in
most south american countries.

hispanics of low stature are the result of short european spaniards and
short native americans intermarriage, some of the result of poor nutrition.

Cuco

Message has been deleted

alberto.gui...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2013, 10:00:13 PM4/30/13
Hi Steve, think about two race, spanish race and indian native americans, and more than five hundred years of fusion between those race, in Latin America are several types of people,those who are mixed, with many generations of ancestors or "mestizos" and the decendants of "crioyos" the sons of pure blood spniardas who were born in America; most of the countries of Latinoamerica have the elit groups or families they are the dsendants of the crioyos and control most of the wealth, almost all the countries have this phenomenon, most of the peolpe called mestizos are very poor, and exploited by the white elit, thats is cause your country are full with immigrants whit brown skin black her , they want a better life, but not all the white people are from the elite thre is to middle class and are many caucasian people like my family, don't sorprice if you see a whit latin american or brown latin american, there is not race of latin america only a culture, if you want to know how looks like pure blood spniardas see the actual people from Spain, they are very different of the Latin american people, by the way, the "Latin" and "Spanish" were two races different, Latins were Romans who conquer almots all europe and Hispania, thas because the spanish lenguage it's a latin lenguage, but the real latin race where from Italy, the spanish blood are a mixture of Visigoths, from Gothland sweeden, Vasque from Hispania, Vandals from germany, Romans from Italy, Iberians from spain and one of the most ancient tribe.

I hope this will answer your question

mikha...@aol.com

Apr 30, 2013, 11:29:46 PM4/30/13
to gen-hi...@rootsweb.com
You should know your own history!

>From 1580 to 1836 European Spanish Conquistadors and Colonial Spanish settlers came to New Spain, Mexico ore republic. These were Anglo/fair skinned looking people and usually from money because you had to fund your own passage there. The Spaniards were also very specific about mixing bloodlines it was against the Catholic Church. So there were great pains taken to keep Spaniards separate in all things. First off the Indian population was not christianized. It was not until the late 18th century that the church recognized them, they still kept separate books for all things birth, marriage, death etc. The Indian and Spanish mix was called a Mestizo which eventually became Mexico when they became a republic.

Thats only one mix, there are many other branches that resulted in a mix of other nationalities such as Puerto Ricans are Spanish and African, Cubans mostly Spanish, you also have Asian Spanish which is where the Phillipines and Phillipinos come from.

Those resulting mixes are more specific to locality but represent a small percentage of the Spanish influence around the globe. That is not even speaking to the South American or Brazilian/ Portuguese populations.

It's generally understood that the lighter the skin tone the more European Spaniard, the Darker the skin tone the more indigenous Indian blood.

Take a look at The Genealogy of Mexico for a global look at those years from 1585 to see when some if those first settlers arrived.

The height is very closely related to place if Origen lots of Central American Indian tribes are very short have prominent noses like the Mayans do on all carvings. Just the way they have always been. Has nothing to with social status or money it's genetic.

Natural American Indians are also dark skinned by nature. There is also a Carribean factor that has it's own set of dynamics. You would assume they were African and they speak fluent Spanish, so there are lots of branches.

There is a very rich culture when you really get to know the diversified ethnographic distinctions between the groups.

I have Spanish, Aztec, Sephardic Jewish lines that have roots here up to 1585 then all go back to Spain.

There are a lot of ways to discover it, and it's amazingly diverse.

The LDS Library has much you can search to find out more!

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 30, 2013, at 8:20 PM, alberto.gui...@gmail.com wrote:

marcc...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2019, 8:46:31 AM1/22/19
You poor so you need to back to school and educate yourself on this subject. I will help you with this there is no pure race in the world and in America the more generations of American you are the more black blood and other blood you have. A genetic Prof onece stated that 15-30% black blood are those with more than 2-3 generation in America.