BACKFIRE: 2nd Correction Made On Elizabeth Warren DNA Test Story, Warren Gets Mocked

Ubiquitous

Oct 16, 2018, 9:44:58 AM10/16/18
The Boston Globe had to issue a second embarrassing correction to
their story claiming that Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) is Native
American, admitting that the newspaper made "a math error."

Buried at the very bottom of the report, the newspaper issued the
following correction:

Due to a math error, a story about Elizabeth Warren
misstated the ancestry percentage of a potential 6th
to 10th generation relative. The generational range
based on the ancestor that the report identified suggests
she’s between 1/64th and 1/1,024th Native American.

The embarrassing report from Annie Linskey even noted that the
analysis of Warren's genetic ancestry was based not on Native
American DNA, but on Mexican, Peruvian, and Colombian DNA.

There will be another correction, because's that's not
what the test showed. It suggested she might be between
1/64th and 1/1024th Mexican, Colombian, or Peruvian.
https://t.co/dA2R4zk79j
— Sean Davis (@seanmdav) October 15, 2018

Even more embarrassing, a comprehensive study by geneticists
estimated that the average European-American has 0.18% Native
American DNA, which may be higher than Warren.

Warren's gamble of desperately trying to prove her Native American
ancestry appears to have backfired as she was widely mocked online.

James Woods was quick to brand her as "Señorita Warren":

“To make up for the dearth of Native American DNA,
Bustamante used samples from Mexico, Peru, and Colombia
to stand in for Native American.” #SeñoritaWarren
https://t.co/KJTj3uRev3
— James Woods (@RealJamesWoods) October 15, 2018

The bad news for #Pocahontas: she’s gotta swap the
headdress for a sombrero. #SeñoritaWarren
pic.twitter.com/XSzFWQ9pwj
— James Woods (@RealJamesWoods) October 15, 2018

Jim Messina, the campaign manager for President Obama’s 2012
campaign, was left confused by Warren's move:

Argue the substance all you want, but why 22 days before
a crucial election where we MUST win house and senate to
save America, why did @SenWarren have to do her announcement
now? Why can’t Dems ever stay focused???
— Jim Messina (@Messina2012) October 15, 2018

Rich Lowry, editor of National Review, noted:

Elizabeth Warren hasn’t dealt with a problem, she has
highlighted it and opened up other avenues for attack.
For Trump, 1/1024th will be priceless material
— Rich Lowry (@RichLowry) October 15, 2018

Donald Trump Jr. slammed Warren:

To show how in touch the Democrats are with the American
people Elizabeth Warren and staff actually thought it
would be good to show them that she likely got favorable
treatment for her whole life for MAYBE POSSIBLY being
1/1024th Native American. #NotWinning
— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) October 15, 2018

James Taranto, editor at the Wall Street Journal:

According to 23 and Me, I'm 0.1% Native American.
I wonder if Elizabeth Warren and I are related.
— James Taranto (@jamestaranto) October 15, 2018

Sports analyst Clay Travis:

Elizabeth Warren, who is, maybe, 1/1024th Native American,
received law review credit for being Harvard Law School’s
“first woman of color” to be hired as a professor.
https://t.co/SipnYHc86Z
— Clay Travis (@ClayTravis) October 15, 2018

Ann Coulter:

BREAKING: Cleveland Indians announce Elizabeth Warren not
even eligible to be a bobblehead.
— Ann Coulter (@AnnCoulter) October 15, 2018

Big deal. Elizabeth Warren percentage of Indian between
1/32 to 1/1,024th. I.e., the same percentage chance she
has of being elected president.
— Ann Coulter (@AnnCoulter) October 15, 2018

Michelle Malkin:

1/1024 "Native American" indirectly derived from South
American genetic markers is "proof" of Native heritage?

1/1024 of $1 million = $976.56.

President Trump should donate that amount in Monopoly
money, which is as genuine as Warren's claim.#Fauxcahontas
https://t.co/0Cf4a7NWBG
— Michelle Malkin (@michellemalkin) October 15, 2018

The Onion added:

Elizabeth Warren Disappointed After DNA Test Shows Zero
Trace Of Presidential Material https://t.co/YrpY1AYgqF
pic.twitter.com/u5OgHIKVYg
— The Onion (@TheOnion) October 15, 2018

"So today, baited by Trump’s gibes, Elizabeth Warren rushes headlong
into self-parody with a lavish rollout of a DNA test that suggests
that she may be (checks notes) 1/1,024 Native American," Charlie
Sykes wrote at the Weekly Standard. "The DNA test, notable for its
imprecision, suggests that Warren may have a Native American
ancestor somewhere “in the range of 6-10 generations ago.” (Which
reminds me that I have an ancestry report around here somewhere
suggesting that in addition to my Russian Jewish ancestors, I am
also descended from Scottish kings.)"

Cherokee Nation responded to Warren's DNA test result by noting that
"A DNA test is useless to determine tribal citizenship":

Cherokee Nation responds to release of Senator Warren’s
DNA test. pic.twitter.com/UUB8LSvmyo
— CherokeeNation (@CherokeeNation) October 15, 2018

A 2012 report from The Atlantic noted that Warren was not a citizen
of the Cherokee Nation, was not enrolled in the Eastern Band of
Cherokee Indians, and was not one of the United Keetoowah Band of
Cherokee, "Nor could she become one, even if she wanted to."

To qualify for the Eastern Band of the Cherokee, Warren would need
to be "at least 1/16 Cherokee to enroll -- and also to have "a
direct lineal ancestor" on 'the 1924 Baker Roll of the Eastern Band
of Cherokee Indians.'"

Warren is, at most, 1/64 Native American, thus she does not qualify.

To qualify for the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee, Warren would
need "a minimum blood quantum requirement of one quarter (1/4)
degree Keetoowah Cherokee blood."

Again, Warren does not qualify.

Warren's maximum 1/64 Native American would not appear to be a
barrier to her joining the Cherokee Nation, but she would be
disqualified based on her inability to name a direct ancestor. The
Atlantic reports:

And while many have pointed out that the current principal
chief of the Cherokee Nation, Bill John Baker, is only 1/32
Cherokee, his background is not like Warren's; he was "born
and raised in Cherokee County" and is a direct descendant of
"Nancy Walker Osage, an early Tahlequah business owner and
Cherokee Healer" listed on the Dawes Rolls.

The difference between him and Warren is he has a direct-
line ancestor clearly documented as a Cherokee whom he can
name. So far, Warren has only been able to point to family
lore.

Trying to own President Trump but then getting owned by
Cherokee Nation probably isn’t the way Elizabeth Warren
saw her day going...

— Britt McHenry (@BrittMcHenry) October 15, 2018

--
Kavanaugh is a gang rapist.
OK, not a gang rapist, but a serial rapist.