Searching SCHMIDT

arne moen

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96

GEORG MATTIAS SCHMIDT from Clausthal, Hartz
Born 1675 died 1728 Årdal Norway
"Uberstiger" Årdal Kopperverk 1709-1728.
Did come to Norway ca. 1702.
ANTONIUS HARTONG from Hartz ??
Born ? died in Årdal around 1749?
"Garmaker"Årdal Kopperverk 1700-1730
Can Anyone tell me were Clausthal is ??? and Hartz ???
if you also give me a hint about the nearest place to start searching
the 2 above i would be very gratefull

am...@oslonett.no

Jim Eggert x6127

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96
In article <4ckj2v$f...@hasle.sn.no> am...@oslonett.no (arne moen) writes:
> GEORG MATTIAS SCHMIDT from Clausthal, Hartz Born 1675 died 1728
> Årdal Norway "Uberstiger" Årdal Kopperverk 1709-1728. Did
> come to Norway ca. 1702. ANTONIUS HARTONG from Hartz ?? Born ?
> died in Årdal around 1749? "Garmaker"Årdal Kopperverk
> 1700-1730 Can Anyone tell me were Clausthal is ??? and Hartz ???

Clausthal-Zellerfeld is in the Oberharz (upper Harz) region of the
former East Germany. You should be able to find it in any reasonable
atlas.
--
=Jim Eggert egg...@ll.mit.edu http://maceggertj.atc.ll.mit.edu/

Lis

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96
Subject: Searching SCHMIDT
From: arne moen, am...@oslonett.no
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 1996 01:26:01 GMT

In article <4ckj2v$f...@hasle.sn.no> arne moen, am...@oslonett.no writes:

>GEORG MATTIAS SCHMIDT from Clausthal, Hartz
>Born 1675 died 1728 Ardal Norway
>"Uberstiger" Ardal Kopperverk 1709-1728.

>Did come to Norway ca. 1702.
>ANTONIUS HARTONG from Hartz ??
>Born ? died in Ardal around 1749?
>"Garmaker"Ardal Kopperverk 1700-1730

>Can Anyone tell me were Clausthal is ??? and Hartz ???
>if you also give me a hint about the nearest place to start searching
>the 2 above i would be very gratefull
>
> am...@oslonett.no

Hei Arne,

It may interest you that Clausthal and the Oberharz region are
traditional mining areas. There was a lot of technology and manpower
exchange between the Harz region and the Aardal region.
Clausthal-Zellerfeld has a famous mining museum, displaying a 2000 year
tradition of predominantly copper and silver mining. People in that area
are very aware and very proud of their mining-tradition, so you should
have no problem finding help with your research

Clausthal and Zellerfeld used to be two independent cities, that are now
merged to one (quite touristy place). They used to be in West-Germany.
It's the Unterharz that was East-German (und thus was way less effected
by excessive tourism).

Lis

Arthur Teschler

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96
On Sat, 06 Jan 1996 01:26:01 GMT arne moen (am...@oslonett.no) wrote:

: GEORG MATTIAS SCHMIDT from Clausthal, Hartz
: Born 1675 died 1728 Årdal Norway
: "Uberstiger" Årdal Kopperverk 1709-1728.

: Did come to Norway ca. 1702.
: ANTONIUS HARTONG from Hartz ??

: Born ? died in Årdal around 1749?
: "Garmaker"Årdal Kopperverk 1700-1730

: Can Anyone tell me were Clausthal is ??? and Hartz ???
: if you also give me a hint about the nearest place to start searching
: the 2 above i would be very gratefull

: am...@oslonett.no

Clausthal-Zellerfeld
GKZ : 03 1 53 004
County : | | +---- Goslar [GS]
RegBez : | +------- Braunschweig
Land : +--------- Niedersachsen
ZIP : 38678
Inhab : 16155
Locat : 51d48m N 10d20m E
Maps : TK25 4228 Riefensbeek
TK50 L4328 Bad Lauterberg im Harz
Euro Lc38

As far as I know they have the only university in Germany where you can
study mining. Might Uberstiger be Obersteiger? A mining engineer?

--
Arthur....@uni-giessen.de

Jim Eggert x6127

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
In article <EGGERTJ.96...@moses.ll.mit.edu> egg...@moses.ll.mit.edu (Jim Eggert x6127 ) writes:
> Clausthal-Zellerfeld is in the Oberharz (upper Harz) region of the
> former East Germany. You should be able to find it in any reasonable
> atlas.

Oops! This is incorrect. Clausthal-Zellerfeld was never part of East
Germany. It lay about 16 km west of the former border. Sorry, and
thanks to Heinz for the correction.