Slaback family

Ed

Jul 20, 2002, 10:03:30 AM7/20/02
This is my first post so if I don't do it correctly, please forgive me. I am
researching the following names:

Slaback
Slayback
Slabaugh
Sleighboch

I have traced my lineage back to William Slaback born 10/05/1833 in Sheffeld
Township, Tippecanoe County, Inidiana, US.

Here is some additional info that I've discovered.

The record of the ship "The Pink Mary" and the passenger list in 1733 is
listed in the records! Also there's a record of David Slayback becoming a
United States citizen along with a man named Hammer who came over with
him on that ship from Rotterdam. Rotterdam is where they caught the ship
but as far as them having come from Holland that's not so, they were only
there long enough to catch the boat for America. They originally came from
Zwibrouken, Germany.... close to the French border of Alsace Lorraine and
Alsace is where David b. 1720 was born.

Any help would be appreciated.

Henning Boettcher

Jul 20, 2002, 12:24:48 PM7/20/02

"Ed" <esla...@yahoo.com> schrieb
Some similar names in Germany are Schlebach, Schlabach, Schlembach,
Schleibach. (German 'sch' is pronounced like English 'sh')
The German spelling of the town Zwibrouken is Zweibrücken.

--
Kind regards
Henning Boettcher

Ed

Jul 20, 2002, 2:24:31 PM7/20/02
From: Ed Slaback

Some members of the family believe that the name is Swiss. Slabaugh,
Slaybaugh, Schlappach and Schlapbach are variations. The first member of the
family to come to the United States was Johannes Schlabbach who was born
around 1695, lived in Cleeburg, married Maria Elizabeth in Zweibroucken in
1719 and died in Trenton, New Jersey. He arrived with his family in the
United States in 1733 on the ship Pink Mary from Rotterdam. He came to
Rotterdam from Zweibroucken (spelling?) in Alsace. I have been told that the
family originated in Switzerland and Alsace.

My father was born in Wisconsin and most of my aunts and uncles spoke
German. The family migrated from New Jersey to Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana and
then Wisconsin and then my father, Gustavus Carl Slaback, and my uncle
Marvin Slaback, moved to Longview in the eastern part of Texas around 1950.
I was born in Longview, Texas, in 1952.

"Henning Boettcher" <boet...@smile.ch> wrote in message

Henning Boettcher

Jul 20, 2002, 2:59:58 PM7/20/02

"Ed" <esla...@yahoo.com> schrieb

Other spellings in Germany are Schlapach, Schlabbach, Schlapbach.
In Switzerland you find Schlabbach (many) and Schlabach.

--
You can find the German phone directory at
http://www.telefonbuch.de/

For USA:
www.whitepages.com , www.switchboard.com
You must go back step by step: from your parents to your
grandparents, from the grandparents to the great grandparents and so
on. That is the only way to be shure about your ancestors.

Read 'Frequently Asked Questions FAQ' published monthly in
soc.genealogy.german by Jim Eggert
also to be found at
http://www.genealogy.net/gene/faqs/sgg.html

---
Kind regards
Henning Boettcher

Ed Slaback

Jul 20, 2002, 5:31:17 PM7/20/02
In article <ahci4j$rsblh$1...@ID-25674.news.dfncis.de>, boet...@smile.ch
says...
Thanks
--
Ed Slaback

chaplain...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2013, 10:46:15 PM7/27/13
Some people believe that the father of Johannes Schaback is Johan Schlappach born in 1661 in Eriz, Thun District, Switzerland. He married Verena Dutchi, born ca 1669. The family moved to Holland in 1711 and may have later settled in Alsace France. This information is from the book "The Kickapoo Quintet" written by Russell and Alice Williams. Alice was my grandmothers sister and she was the daughter of Mildred Slaback, the daughter of Albert Slaback, the son of William Slaback, the son of David Slaback, the son of Hohannes Schlabach, the son of Johan Schlappach.

madci...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2019, 10:14:48 PM9/20/19
If anyone knows how to get a copy or this book, please email me at dawnst...@yahoo.com. I'm borrowing it from the library, but I'd like my own copy!

Thank you, Dawn