johnathan

knuttle

Jun 21, 2023, 5:48:17 PM6/21/23
Is there a German name that would be equivalent to the English name
Johnathan?

Am trying to trace an ancestor from one community to another.

The time period is in the late 1700's in central and western Pennsylvania.

To my knowledge there were many German and Swiss settlers in the area.

We have document signed with the German spelling of Miller (Mueller).
It is thought the transcribed first name is Johannes (best we can make
of the written signature. ) We have a Johnathan Miller in the other
location. Could these to people be the same person?

knuttle

Jun 22, 2023, 7:39:14 AM6/22/23
On 06/22/2023 4:02 AM, Martin Τrautmann wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:48:14 -0400, knuttle wrote:
>> Is there a German name that would be equivalent to the English name
>> Johnathan?
>
> Jonathan. The old Johnathan could be found as well. Variation Jonatan.
>
> <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_(Vorname)>
>
>> We have document signed with the German spelling of Miller (Mueller).
>
> or "Müller"
>
>> It is thought the transcribed first name is Johannes (best we can make
>> of the written signature. ) We have a Johnathan Miller in the other
>> location. Could these to people be the same person?
>
> At that time the baptised name could be very different to the name in
> daily use. So anything could be possible, since the boy only knew his
> name as e.g. Jon. However, Johannes and Johnathan are very different.
Thanks for helping me with my problem..

I had hoped that would lead to a new line of research for an old
problem. I guess I will have to look elsewhere.