HAULAND - its meaning?

Daryl Povey

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

While researching my ancestors from the village of NEKLA, 30 km east of
Posen, I have noticed that many village names are followed by the word
HAULAND, i.e. the village of NEKLA is often referred to as the village of
NEKLA-HAULAND. Could someone please explain the meaning or significance of
the word HAULAND when used in this way.

Thankyou in anticipation

Daryl Povey <po...@sebas.vic.edu.au>

gmer...@zycor.lgc.com

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97
to gmer...@zycor.lgc.com

In article <1.5.4.16.1997011...@mail.sebas.vic.edu.au>,

Daryl,

I have SCHENDEL, HOHERZ, and SOMMERFELD ancestors from an area NW of
Posen (Kreis Wongrowitz & Gnesen). One of my great-grandmothers was born
in Golun Hauland. I asked the same question about a year ago and got two
replies. Here's my query and the two responses:

My query:

I've often seen "hauland" (as best as I can deciper) after a village or town
town name in Posen, Prussia. My dictionary defines hauland as a clearing or
recently cultivated field. Is there a particular meaning when used with or
as part of a village or town name.

Glenn Merkord
gmer...@zycor.lgc.com
Austin, Texas

First reponse:

>>> yes, the meaning being that the place was cleared from unsttled land
and started from scratch with no prior history.
Virgin land
--
*************** Adalbert Goertz *******************************
retired in Waynesboro PA (65 miles from Baltimore/Washington DC

Second response:

There is some scholarly dispute over the origins of the term "Hollandry"
as it applies to villages in Posen and other parts of Prussia and
Congress Poland. Some suggest it comes from the Dutch "Hollander".
Others say it comes from the German "hauen" - to chop down. Regardless
of the origin, it came to describe a form of village government with
elements of early democracy. It stood in contrast to a Schulzendorf
where the Schulz either bought or inherited his position. In the
Hollandry, the Schulz was elected. The term Hollander also became an
occupational or status title, describing "a farmer who was settled and
who gave his word that he would take wasteland and make it fertile and
because of this he would receive certain privileges (according to Kremner
and Dalchow)".

This info, (excepted for issue of disputed origins) from: Hollandrys in
Posen by Max Grossart, The Weichsel Warthe, 1955, pages 119-122 (translation
by Ewald Wushke in Wandering Volhynians, September 1995)

Jerry Frank
jfr...@cadvision.com (please ignore header address)

If you have web access go to http://www.dejanews.com and select "Power Search",
then "Create a Query Filter" using "soc.genealogy.german" as your newsgroup.
Search for "hauland" and you will find your two of your posts, my post, and the
three (one is a duplicate) replies to my post.

I would like to hear from any one else researching the names SCHENDEL, HOHERZ,
and SOMMERFELD in Posen, as well as MERKORD and LIMBERG in Lippe-Detmold, and
WESSELS in Oldenburg.

Glenn Merkord
Austin, Texas
gmer...@zycor.lgc.com

Jerry Frank

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

Daryl Povey <po...@SEBAS.VIC.EDU.AU> wrote:

>While researching my ancestors from the village of NEKLA, 30 km east of
>Posen, I have noticed that many village names are followed by the word
>HAULAND, i.e. the village of NEKLA is often referred to as the village of
>NEKLA-HAULAND. Could someone please explain the meaning or significance of
>the word HAULAND when used in this way.

According to Walter Maas, Posen at one time had 569 Hollandrys, a variant
spelling for Hauland. Some Polish authorities suggest the word derives from the
German word "hauen" because the farmers had to cut down trees to make the land
useful. The more popular and more likely origin is literally "Holland". The
Dutch, in particular Mennonites, settled in the area as early as 1555. They
established a village form and government known as Hollandry. While the
government style was not democratic in today's sense, it was one of the earliest
forms of democracy in eastern Europe.

If you are interested in an 8 page article on Hollandrys and Schultzendorfer,
order the September 1995 back issue of Wandering Volhynians. Details at the
FEEFHS web site: http://feefhs.org
Enter "Volhynia" in their internal search engine to find the Wandering Volhynian
page.

Joel Streich

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97
to Daryl Povey

Daryl Povey wrote:

> While researching my ancestors from the village of NEKLA, 30 km east of
> Posen, I have noticed that many village names are followed by the word
> HAULAND, i.e. the village of NEKLA is often referred to as the village of
> NEKLA-HAULAND. Could someone please explain the meaning or significance of
> the word HAULAND when used in this way.
>
> Thankyou in anticipation
>
> Daryl Povey <po...@sebas.vic.edu.au>

Dear Daryl,

Right now I'm reading Walther Maas's book:

Sieldungen an Obra, Bartsch, Prosna und obere Warthe,
im Lesauer und Tshcenstochauer Land sowie in den Kreisen
Bromberg und Wirsitz Herder Institut Marburg/Lahn

In the book Maas makes extensive use of the word because it describes
a settlement in a rich historical context. Maas uses three categories
to group villages and settlements in Posen.
1) Villages of the Middle Ages
2) Haulander and related settlements
3) Kolonien--Colonies

Maas explains that grouping the villages in this way corresponds
not only to specific time periods, but also to the type of land
upon which the village lies, the social-political factors leading
to the development of the village, and even the shape-ie. layout-
of the village. For example, Maas cites the introduction of
the Deutschesrecht into Poland in the 13th century as leading to the
first large wave of emigration of Germans into Posen. These
immigrants settled in existing villages of the Middle Ages that
were long established on the richest soil. The next wave came in
the 17th and 18th Centuries and this wave led to the Haulander
settlements. Maas goes on to explain how the settlements developed
as they did. They were new settlements that were built on less
favorable land that had not been priviously been farmed (or had
been once farmed in the Middle Ages and then abandoned). The
Haulaender settlements coincided with the change to cash rent.
Maas makes the point that the land barrons were in great need of
cash following the Swedish wars in the 17th century, and that by
paying only a cash rent and otherwise being free to keep surpluss
crops was an indispensible incentive that the settlers had to have
to put in the hard work of clearing the forests and brush from
the land. Furthermore, Maas goes on to explain that most of
the Haulaender villages were laid out as a row of houses along
one or both sides of a street. He explains how the fields extended
as long strips from the back of the houses and how each farmer
had the use of two other fields a little more distant from town;
this was part of the three-field rotation that also characterized
the Haulaender......

Well, that's it for now. I'm quite enjoying the book. I'm
interested in books of this kind. If you come across any titles,
please pass them along.

Regards,
Joel Streich
streic...@jpmorgan.com