German words to Lutheran Doxology

Anita Stuever

May 29, 2001, 5:40:31 AM5/29/01
I hope this is not too far off-topic. I am looking for the
German-language version of the Lutheran Doxology (Praise God from
Whom all blessings flow, praise him all creatures here below. Praise
Him above Ye, Heavenly Host. Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
Amen.) I tried using the Internet translation services and the
results were laughable (Heavenly Host came out Central Processor!).
Can anyone help?
Thanks for reading,
Anita

HCALTMANN

May 29, 2001, 11:00:01 AM5/29/01
From: AnitaS...@voyager.net (Anita Stuever)

> I am looking for the
>German-language version of the Lutheran >Doxology

You are looking for the "Apostolisches Glaubenbekenntnis." Here it is:

Ich glaube an Gott, den Vater, den Allmaechtigen, den Schoepfer des Himmels und
der Erde, und an Jesus Christus, seinen eingeborenen Sohn, empfangen durch den
Heiligen Geist, geboren von der Jungfrau Maria, gelitten unter Pontius Pilatus,
gekreuzigt, gestorben und begraben, hinabgestiegen in das Reich des Todes, am
dritten Tag auferstanden von den Toten, aufgefahren in den Himmel. Er sitzt
zur Rechten Gottes, des allmaechtigen Vaters. Von dort wird er kommen zu
richten die Lebenden und die Toten. Ich glaube an den Heiligen Geist., die
heilige christliche Kirche, die Gemeinschaft der Heiligen, die Vergebung der
Suenden, die Auferstehung der Toten, und das ewige Leben. Amen.

From: Evangelisches Gesangbuch; Karlsruhe: Evangelischer Presseverband, 1987;
p. 8.

HCAl...@aol.com (Heinz Altmann)

"I have no desire to win, only to get things right." A.J.P. Taylor

HCALTMANN

May 29, 2001, 11:10:16 AM5/29/01
From: AnitaS...@voyager.net (Anita Stuever)

> I am looking for the
>German-language version of the Lutheran Doxology (Praise God from

>Whom all blessings flow ...

I have searched the Evangelisches Kirchen Gesangbuch and have not found
anything like the above. I now wonder if it is Lutheran, as you claim.
Perhaps it has its roots in Calvinism: Presbyterian, Methodist or Baptist?

- Heinz

Paul Clinkscales

May 29, 2001, 11:52:33 AM5/29/01
<*>

In the two previous replies to your query, I believe one of the persons
gave you the Apostles Creed. I think what you are looking for is usually
sung to the tune "Old 100th".
I have a German Gesangbuch from 1887, but it doesn't have the tunes, only
the lyrics.
One hymnal I have shows Old 100th to be from the Genevan Psalter arranged by
Louis Bourgeois in 1551, but it is in English.

You might do better by asking a Lutheran Pastor.

Paul in Fort Worth

"Anita Stuever" <AnitaS...@voyager.net> wrote in message

Gert Schmiechen

May 29, 2001, 12:14:02 PM5/29/01

Anita Stuever schrieb:

I dont think, that it is from Martin Luther. Also may not be german.
Perhaps it is english translation from a doxology of Franciscus of
Assisi,
perhaps a part of his song to the sun?.

mona_...@juno.com

May 29, 2001, 1:33:17 PM5/29/01
It's not strictly Lutheran, though Lutherans certainly sing it now. I
have a 1928 Lutheran hymnal, the first English one that my grandparents
used, and the Doxology is not in it.

Mona Houser

On 29 May 2001 15:10:16 GMT hcal...@aol.com (HCALTMANN) writes:
> From: AnitaS...@voyager.net (Anita Stuever)

> > I am looking for the
> >German-language version of the Lutheran Doxology (Praise God from

> >Whom all blessings flow ...

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

mona_...@juno.com

May 29, 2001, 1:34:22 PM5/29/01
The "Apostolisches Glaubenbekenntnis." is the Apostles Creed, which isn't
the same thing as the song Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow.

I don't have a German hymnal, so I can't help you out. Sorry.

Mona

On 29 May 2001 15:00:01 GMT hcal...@aol.com (HCALTMANN) writes:
> From: AnitaS...@voyager.net (Anita Stuever)
>
> > I am looking for the
> >German-language version of the Lutheran >Doxology
>

> You are looking for the "Apostolisches Glaubenbekenntnis." Here it
> is:
>
> Ich glaube an Gott, den Vater, den Allmaechtigen, den Schoepfer des
> Himmels und
> der Erde, und an Jesus Christus, seinen eingeborenen Sohn, empfangen
> durch den
> Heiligen Geist, geboren von der Jungfrau Maria, gelitten unter
> Pontius Pilatus,
> gekreuzigt, gestorben und begraben, hinabgestiegen in das Reich des
> Todes, am
> dritten Tag auferstanden von den Toten, aufgefahren in den Himmel.
> Er sitzt
> zur Rechten Gottes, des allmaechtigen Vaters. Von dort wird er
> kommen zu
> richten die Lebenden und die Toten. Ich glaube an den Heiligen
> Geist., die
> heilige christliche Kirche, die Gemeinschaft der Heiligen, die
> Vergebung der
> Suenden, die Auferstehung der Toten, und das ewige Leben. Amen.
>
> From: Evangelisches Gesangbuch; Karlsruhe: Evangelischer
> Presseverband, 1987;
> p. 8.

Paul Clinkscales

May 29, 2001, 5:40:21 PM5/29/01
<*>

Anita,

Just one more remark, as I see you now have plenty of input but no
translation.

Look at this site: http://www.umr.org/SFhym501.htm

Paul

A. John Birkholz

May 29, 2001, 5:43:16 PM5/29/01
Good day Anita,

The following information will not give you the German-language version but will
give you authentic history of the "Doxology" to which you refer and some
examples of usage. You will have to go to the websites for the rest of the
details as I did not copy the entire webpage in the interest conserving space.

http://www.ccel.org/a/anonymous/luth_hymnal/tlh644.htm

"Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow"
by Thomas Ken, 1637-1711
Text From:
THE LUTHERAN HYMNAL
(St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1941)

Notes:
Hymn #644 from _The Lutheran Hymnal_
Text: Psalm 150:1
Author: Thomas Ken, 1695
Tune: "Old Hundredth"
1st Published in: _Genevan Psalter_, 1551
-------------
Baptist Hymnal 1975 edition
http://www.friendshipbaptistministries.com/hymnal.html

You are welcome,

A. John Birkholz broth...@imt.net
963 McIver Road
Great Falls, MT 59404

Andrea

May 29, 2001, 6:21:21 PM5/29/01
Hello Anita,

there are three text versions in my older German Lutheran Hymnal.

"Herr Gott, Dich loben alle wir" by Philipp Melanchthon (1497-1561)
and Paul Eber (1561) is a German version of the Latin hymn "Dicimus
grates tibi". I guess that's the hymn you are looking for:
The last verse is:
"Lob, Ehr sei Gott im höchsten Thron,
desgleichen Christo, seinem Sohn,
und auch dem Tröster in der Not,
dem dreifaltigem Einen Gott."
(10 verses all in all).

The other hymns are written by Nicolaus Hermann (1562): "Ein wahrer
Glaube Gott's Zorn stillt" and by Gerhard Tersteegen (1745): "Brunn
alles Heils, Dich ehren wir"
(5th verse of 5:
"Gott, Vater, Sohn und Heilger Geist,
oh Segensbrunn, der ewig fleußt,
durchfleuß Herz, Sinn und Wandel wohl,
mach uns Dein's Lobs und Segens voll."

There might be more versions in older Hymnals.

Hope this helps.
Andrea

ŷǷ§

May 30, 2001, 12:32:03 AM5/30/01

"Anita Stuever" <AnitaS...@voyager.net> wrote in message

I will call my MOMMY tomorrow, she speaks German and then I will post, if no
one else has. BTW, it the post has a ton of German spelling errors, don't
blame me it has been a long time since HS German Language classes (I have a
hard enough time with English LOL)

As far as I know, The Doxology you quoted has always been used by the
Lutheran Church, although it roots may not be directly from the Lutheran
church.

Later
--
Anthony
Use this address if replying to me directly.

---

Ian Zuiring

May 30, 2001, 8:15:06 PM5/30/01
I don't know if it's Lutheran or not, but German-Russian Mennonites still
sing this song before meals. I've even heard it referred to as the
"Mennonite National Anthem."

TomKerth

May 31, 2001, 4:36:02 PM5/31/01
This hymn is in the Lutheran hymnal, and was in the Protestant Geneva Psalter
of 1551.
___
Thomas Kerth, Stony Brook, New York
"Nun, o Unsterblichkeit bist du ganz mein!" (Kleist)

Martha Oskvig

May 31, 2001, 6:15:04 PM5/31/01
About "Doxology" -- also known as "Praise God, from Whom All Blessings
Flow":

According to "The Service Hymnal" (Hope Publishing Company of Chicago, 1941)
and "The Celebration Hymnal" (Word/Integrity, 1997),
the text was written by Thomas Ken, and the traditional harmonized
hymn-style tune was by Louis Bourgeois.

According to "Psalter Hymnal" (CRC Publications of Grand Rapids, 1987),
"Praise!" (Singspiration, 1977), and "The Hymnal for Worship & Celebration"
(Word, 1986), Thomas Ken (1637-1711) wrote this text in 1709; the
traditional tune appeared in 1551 for the Genevan Psalter (attributed to
Bourgeois and also known as "Genevan 134" and "Old Hundredth").

According to "Songs We Love" (Rod & Staff Publishers, 1999), Thomas Ken
wrote the lyric but the tune was said to be from the Genevan Psalter and
attributed to Guillaume Franc.

The words have appeared with different melodies and modern harmonizations,
especially in the past thirty years. "Doxology" has been used as a
congregational response by many Christian denominations. For example it was
not only used in Lutheran congregations but also for decades was the
congregational response following collection of Sunday morning monetary
offerings for Dutch Reformed Church of America gatherings. Evangelical Free
Church of America congregations in Midwest USA still often sing it without
instruments as a prayer before church potluck meals.

Sorry, in these and other titles of my small hymnbook collection, I couldn't
find any German text or evidence that "Doxology" was originally written in
anything other than English. Interestingly, it is not included in
"Sondagsskolbok" (Lutheran Augustana Book Concerns, 1903).

Sing on, Martha Oskvig in Iowa

> ______________________________

HCALTMANN

May 31, 2001, 8:21:37 PM5/31/01
From: "Ian Zuiring" ianzu...@hotmail.com

>I don't know if it's Lutheran or not, but German-Russian Mennonites still
>sing this song before meals. I've even heard it referred to as the
>"Mennonite National Anthem."

Mennonites are not Lutherans. The origin of their faith is Calvinist.

-- Heinz

HCALTMANN

May 31, 2001, 8:24:55 PM5/31/01
From: tomk...@aol.com

>This hymn is in the Lutheran hymnal, and was in the Protestant Geneva Psalter
>of 1551.

The Protestant Geneva Psalter of 1551 is not Lutheran, but Calvinist. Back
then, Luther and Calvin were theological enemies. I know. One of my ancestors
"fought" on Luther's side against the Wiedertaeufer.

If the Doxology is in a modern Lutheran hymnal, that does not make it Lutheran.

Maureen Shelly

May 31, 2001, 10:41:50 PM5/31/01
Isn't this the Apostle's Creed?

Jun 2, 2001, 11:30:36 AM6/2/01
Paul, I don't often see this name. It is one of mine. My GGGgrandmother was
Mary "Polly" CLINKSCALES born 31 Jan in Mecklenburg County, VA and died 18
Feb 1850 in Carroll County, MO. I have quite a lot of family information at
home, but I'm in Carrollton, MO until around 1 July.

Leslie (Bridges) Kohler
P.O. Box 276
Carrollton, MO
64633-0276

Leslie (Bridges) Kohler
P.O. Box 8137
Glendale, AZ
85312-8137

<><> Leslie <><>

Jun 2, 2001, 1:26:37 PM6/2/01
Apologies all around. My CLINKSCALES message was to have gone only to Paul.

Anita Stuever

Jun 8, 2001, 6:10:37 AM6/8/01
I got a tremendous response to my request for the German words to the
Lutheran Doxology. (I also learned a lot about the topic in the
process!) Genealogists are such helpful people. Thank you all!
Anita

heidi....@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2018, 2:04:29 PM1/4/18
This is many years after your inquiry, in case you or anyone else is looking, here are the words for the Doxology in German:

Preist Gott, von dem all Segen fliest!
Preist ihn, was hier auf Erden ist!
Ihr Engel auch im Himmel, (preist)
den Vater, Sohn und Heilgen Geist!
Message has been deleted

Paul Welk

Apr 15, 2023, 1:13:52 PM4/15/23
Hi All,
I too was looking for a German version of "Praise God, from whom all blessings flow ..."
But I did not find any that I liked, so I made up my own.
Here it is:
Lobt Gott den dreieinigen Geist!
Lobt Gott den Vater und den Sohn!
Lobt Gott den Schöpfer aller Ding’!