Jansz from Rendsburg, Germany

Art M. Daane

Aug 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/6/99

In my search for the van Rensburg and/or the Janse van Rensburg family in
the Netherlands I have come to the conclusion that either name is alien in
the Netherlands. Neither has any person by the name of Janse, Jansz or
Jansen emigrated to the Old Cape in the early days.

On 1 June 1999, I received a letter from the Lutherian Church in Rendsburg,
Germany, confirming my father-in-law's story that they originally came from
a place in the north of Germany called "Rendsburg".
The person Nicolaas (christian name) Jansz (surname) emigrated as a single
person to South Africa and married the widow
of Marthinus van Staden, Aletta van der Merwe on 14 August 1708.. The
surname Van Rensburg has its origin in South Africa as a family name,
originally it was Jansz von Rendsburg. (Jansz from Rendsburg)
"Deutschen Auslandinstitut in Stutgart" database files,
"Die Deutsche Einwandering in die Niederlandische Kapkolonie 1652-1806"

Nicolaas Janse van Rensburg, probably from Rijnsburg (near Leiden) in the
Netherlands as stated in:
"Geslagsregisters van die Ou Kaapse Families", De Villiers and Parma, pages
768 - 775, is to my believe, and due to the research of the Lutherian
Church, incorrect.

The crest from Rendsburg can be used as the official family crest of the
"van Rensburg families", so we were told by the church officials in
Rendsburg.
Attached you'll find a copy (jpg) of the letter from the Lutherian Church in
Rendsburg.

--
Art M. Daane
Secr. Int. Harm. Org.