SCHWARZ, MARKMANN

Nancy Boon

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

Hi:

We would like information on the Schwarz and Markmann family. We do not
know where these towns were.

My husband's great grandparents, Charles Gottfried Schwarz and Louise
Sophia Marie Markmann, came from Germany in June 1876. They settled in St.
Louis. His brother Alfred also came to the US. and his descendants
supposedly also lived in the St. Louis area.

Alfred Schwarz was born and died in Germany. He was the father of Charles
Gottfried Schwarz who was born 12/14/1840 in Morgenfeld, West Prussia,
Germany. He was the 3rd of 7 children. He was a millwright. He worked his
trade in Grauenhagen, Mechlinburg and Priepet. He married Louise Sophia
Marie Markmann on June 22, 1871. Louise Markmann was born December 5,
1846 in Mechlinburg, Germany. She died in Nebraska in 1936 at age 90. Her
father was William Markmann and her mother, D. Penning. William Markmann
owned a windmill in the village of Priepet and was a miller by trade. She
had a brother William who came to the U.S. and a brother Herman may have
also.

Charles first came to the US in March of 1873. He traveled to Hamburg and
then took a sail and steam ship to NY. the storm was damaged in a storm
and drifted three months. It was towed by another ship to NY.

He later returned for his family. They left Hamburg June 1, 1876, travel
by Channel steamer to Hull, England, across England to Liverpool by train,
and crossed the Atlantic on a steam ship and landed in Philadelphia during
the Centennial Fair.

I would like to know what ships they may have sailed on from Hamburg.
Charles and Louise had 10 children, five of whom lived to adulthood. The
oldest daughter, Martha Schwarz was born July 4, 1872 in Priepet, Germany
and died June 4, 1874 in Priepet, Germany. The oldest son, Conrad Herman
Alfred Scwharz was born August 5, 1873 in Priepet Germany. He died in the
U.S. at age 105. I have the lines worked down on all of them. My
husband's grandmother was the 10th child. Charles and Louise lived in
Reamsville, KS. (Town site now deserted. We have been there several times.)
He built a huge mill and ground grain from about 1883 to 1923. I have a
small booklet printed by his son Conrad about the mill and their life.

I have been told that a niece of Louise Markmann lives in Germany. Her
name is supposedly Gesela Berges Hauer and she is married to a Heinz Hauer.
She had four children, who would be in their 50's probably. Some of the
Schwarz family sent care packages to this family which resided in East
Germany during the Cold War. After the Cold War ended they supposedly
emigrated to West Germany.

Thank you. I hope to hear from you soon.

Nancy Boon
ab...@ltec.net