Definition of Schnicklefritz

st...@cc.usu.edu

Jan 10, 1995, 5:17:22 PM1/10/95
I am looking for a definition or meaning of the endearment "Schnicklefritz" (I
don't know if I have spelled it correctly). But according to my father, my
great-grandmother who was from Germany, called him that often and now he calls
my second daughter that since she was given the middle name of Lucia after this
grandmother. Any help with the meaning or suggestions on where to look for the
meaning would be helpful. It will aid in writing of some of my family history.

Thank you.

Carolyn Butler Stahl
St...@cc.usu.edu

P.S. I've looked in a English-German/German-English dictionary and could not
find the word.

JVanDusen

Jan 11, 1995, 6:40:37 AM1/11/95
My aunt and grandmother called me this too, when I was a child. I'd be
interested in the definition also.

Judy Van Dusen
jvan...@aol.com

Richard F. Somer

Jan 12, 1995, 6:14:13 PM1/12/95

Somewhere I once ran across the definition of Schnicklefritz, but can't
recall where. It means something like a troublesome brat, I think, but with
a humorous tone. I know my older brother and I have often spoken of its
meaning, as my father always called me, the youngest child in the family,
Schnicklefritz. I look forward to further explanation too.

Richard F. Somer
rso...@hamilton.edu

Tom Lincoln

Jan 12, 1995, 11:33:29 PM1/12/95
In article <rsomer-12...@150.209.24.5>,

Richard F. Somer <rso...@hamilton.edu> wrote:
>In article <1995Jan10.1...@cc.usu.edu>, st...@cc.usu.edu wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a definition or meaning of the endearment "Schnicklefritz" (I
>> don't know if I have spelled it correctly). But according to my father, my
>> great-grandmother who was from Germany, called him that often....

I have friends (in their 70s) who use the term for the elf or gremlin in
the house who screws everything up -- hides the keys, etc.

They are of German extraction..

Must have some folktale origin..

Not as bad as the Kindlifresser in Switzerland!

Tom

J Heimerl

Jan 13, 1995, 4:28:01 PM1/13/95
This is in one Stanza of Schnitzlebank. A Schnicklefritz is a misbehaving,
mischievous kid. The Katzenjammer boys were Schnicklefritz's. John

Dick Schoenling

Jan 16, 1995, 10:15:37 AM1/16/95
In article <3f6r91$s...@usenetw1.news.prodigy.com>, UNF...@prodigy.com (J Heimerl) writes:
|> This is in one Stanza of Schnitzlebank. A Schnicklefritz is a misbehaving,
|> mischievous kid. The Katzenjammer boys were Schnicklefritz's. John

I can't believe my Grandfather would call me that, I was always such a well
behaved, polite and innocent child :-)!

But of course this leads to the following question,
What's in the rest of Schnitzlebank?

Regards,

Dick Schoenling
Internet: dtr...@bnr.ca
Raleigh, North Carolina USA

C Heimerl

Jan 17, 1995, 5:07:56 PM1/17/95
Ist das nicht eine Schnitzelbank? (Ja, das ist eine Schnitzelbank!)
*Schnitztzelbank is a whittler's bench.*
Kurz und lang? *short & long.
Hin und Her? *back & forth
Kreuz und Quer *Sawbuck. Cross and
Schiess Gewar?* Shotgun. Please watchthat i&e!!!
Wagen Rad? * Wagon Wheel
Krum & Grad?* Crooked & straight
Grosses Glass
Ochsen Blas. *Ox bladder. Old time toy
Haufen Mist *S@@t pile
Schnickel Fritz
Dicke Frau * Fat wife
Fette Sau * Fat sow
Langer Mann *Tall guy
Tannenbaum
Hochzeits Ring * Wedding ring
Gefarliches Ding! *You don't want to know!!!!
John enjoy~

allanst...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2014, 3:34:29 AM11/24/14
hi my grandmothers middle name was lucia as well and used to call my cousin, a girl shcnickelfritz. Grandmother was also german,i've looked the word up because I heard it used in an episode of criminal minds set in southern states usa.So we are all still in the dark.Shcnicklefritz Shickelgruber

Herman van der Woude

Nov 24, 2014, 3:45:46 AM11/24/14
This was an answer to a question, asked almost 20 years ago. I wonder
if it will be of much use to Ms Stahl today...

--
Mit freundlichem Gruß,
Herman van der Woude

Siegfried H.

Nov 24, 2014, 10:50:09 AM11/24/14
Am 24.11.2014 um 09:45 schrieb Herman van der Woude:

> This was an answer to a question, asked almost 20 years ago. I wonder if
> it will be of much use to Ms Stahl today...

This happens all the time, I'm also really tired about it. Maybe it's
better to just ignore those google group statements ...

Have a good day, Siegfried

be...@bereabuzz.com

Jan 5, 2015, 6:51:06 PM1/5/15
On Tuesday, January 10, 1995 5:17:22 PM UTC-5, st...@cc.usu.edu wrote:
> I am looking for a definition or meaning of the endearment "Schnicklefritz" (I
> don't know if I have spelled it correctly). But according to my father, my
> great-grandmother who was from Germany, called him that often and now he calls
> my second daughter that since she was given the middle name of Lucia after this
> grandmother. Any help with the meaning or suggestions on where to look for the
> meaning would be helpful. It will aid in writing of some of my family history.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Carolyn Butler Stahl

> P.S. I've looked in a English-German/German-English dictionary and could not
> find the word.

1- Schnickle Fritz a low quality item that is dressed up to look good
2- schnicklefritz (urban) Another term for marijuana

Ralf Lehmeier

Jan 8, 2015, 1:40:58 PM1/8/15
allanst...@gmail.com schrieb:
Google say : It´s a Family name and a Synonym for “little trouble maker”.

I found this Answer on
http://www.choosechicago.com/blog/post/2014/10/Chicago-Craft-Beer-From-Revolution-to-Evolution/1633/
.
Search in the Site to "fritz".

... Schnicklefritz (a German term of endearment meaning “little trouble
maker”) is an Americanized Kolsch ...

A further Link :
http://www.bookandreader.com/threads/whats-a-schnickelfritz.11955/

Kind Regards R.Lehmeier

prr...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2015, 11:34:06 AM2/16/15
> I found this Answer on
> http://www.choosechicago.com/blog/post/2014/10/Chicago-Craft-Beer-From-Revolution-to-Evolution/1633/
> .
> Search in the Site to "fritz".
>
> ... Schnicklefritz (a German term of endearment meaning "little trouble
> maker") is an Americanized Kolsch ...
>

> A further Link :
> http://www.bookandreader.com/threads/whats-a-schnickelfritz.11955/
>

> Kind Regards R.Lehmeier

The meaning might depend on context. My German ancestors settled in central Pennsylvania in the mid-1700s, in a region where almost all the neighboring families were also German. Over the years, the form they spoke evolved into "Pennsylvania Dutch"

Like many others at that time and in that region, my father learned Pennsylvania Dutch at home as his first language. When the family moved from the rural town to an industrialized city, the kids were forbidden to speak it, but my father never forgot it.

I heard schnicklefritz used frequently in that region, and interpreted it from context as an affectionate term for a mischievous, but lovable child. For example, my father used to call my wife's grandmother, who also spoke The Dutch, 'schnicklefritz'. He was about 75 at the time, and she about 85.

So "a term of endearment meaning "you little rascal" fits well.

-Paul

Olaf Barheine

Feb 16, 2015, 12:38:31 PM2/16/15
Hi!
There is also an explanation in Wikipedia: "Snicklefritz or
Schnickelfritz is a Pennsylvania Dutch term of affection usually for
young mischievous or talkative children."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snicklefritz

Best regards, Olaf

darla.r...@yahoo.com

Mar 20, 2017, 9:55:57 PM3/20/17
My grandfather, very german, used to call me this when I was little. I asked him once what it meant and he said troublemaker. And he loved me so obviously a term of endearment.

Herita...@sandyview.net

Mar 20, 2017, 10:48:50 PM3/20/17
to gen...@rootsweb.com
On 03/20/2017 08:55 PM, darla.r...@yahoo.com wrote:
> My grandfather, very german, used to call me this when I was little. I asked him once what it meant and he said troublemaker. And he loved me so obviously a term of endearment.

My experience is similar with that term.

--
Mona Houser
Herita...@Sandyview.net

Bernd J. Kaup

Mar 22, 2017, 6:10:30 AM3/22/17
Am 21.03.2017 um 03:48 schrieb Herita...@sandyview.net:
> On 03/20/2017 08:55 PM, darla.r...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> My grandfather, very german, used to call me this when I was little. I
>> asked him once what it meant and he said troublemaker. And he loved me
>> so obviously a term of endearment.
>
> My experience is similar with that term.

You may appreciate that there are many local, regional or dialect
expressions used when critzising a small child who does a thing it
should not do. The person saying so takes into account, that the child
may not know doing wrong, but should learn to avoid such behaviour in
the future.
The word mentioned shows roots in (south)-western Germany.
mfg
bjk

bobeth...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2017, 11:39:41 AM3/28/17

Thank you for contacting Mr PAMPHILE this gentleman who gave me a smile again by offering me a loan of 32,000 € and has two of my colleagues who have also received loans at his level without problems instead of getting you through Unwilling individuals, who take to work to defraud the innocent. If you need funding; Lending money or any project to achieve this man will help you achieve it and support you financially.
Here is his mail: phamphi...@hotmail.com

barbarag...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2019, 5:06:21 PM4/23/19
My grandfather called me that. It is a fond memory. I found a definition of a "lively, talkative child". No negative was attached to it. I was a happy well behaved little girl....with parents who expected us to BE well behaved! I loved my grandpa very dearly!!! Schnicklefritz....makes me smile!

Keith Nuttle

Apr 23, 2019, 5:23:38 PM4/23/19
On 4/23/2019 5:06 PM, barbarag...@gmail.com wrote:
> My grandfather called me that. It is a fond memory. I found a definition of a "lively, talkative child". No negative was attached to it. I was a happy well behaved little girl....with parents who expected us to BE well behaved! I loved my grandpa very dearly!!! Schnicklefritz....makes me smile!

It also sounds funny

My ancestors from both my parents families were children of German
immigrants. I am always amazed at the German constructed phrases and
German words that my parents and grandparents used.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

Michael McGannon

Jun 24, 2022, 4:10:14 PM6/24/22