German surnames

William Frederick

Oct 12, 2020, 7:53:05 PM10/12/20
My grandparents on my father's side immigrated from Germany in the late 1800's My grandfather's last name was Goldmann. He later dropped the 2nd "n" from his name. My grandmother's last name was Diller. Records show my grandfather was Lutheran and my grandmother was Catholic. Yet growing up most people thought I was Jewish because of the last name Goldman. This caused problems because of derogatory insults I often received. In my early adult years, I dropped my last name Goldman in favor of my middle name which was Frederick. However, I still have lingering doubts about my ancestry. Does the last name Goldman always signify Jewish ancestry?

Günter Cottin

Nov 23, 2021, 5:23:14 PM11/23/21
William Frederick:
Hi William,
im a german. The name "Goldmann" is not ever jewish. In german we have
many familynames who go in to the professions back. Goldmann was a
jewelery.The name "Diller" cames from the southwest country. The german
citizens in this area are most "Schwaben", i dont know the english
translation. This area was in the history a area with people who works
with medal. Its a spezialised technicial area, build machines and cars
(Porsche, Mercedes). in the middelage works the people to find silver
and gold in the mountains. I think this is the german origin of the name
"Goldmann"
Cheers Günter