Marienwerder, West Prussia

Ed Rice

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

I have been trying to locate where my grandfather was from in
Marienwerder, West Prussia. I have only recently learned that
Marienwerder was a district and not a town and never was able to
locate it on a map. Can anyone describe where The Marienwerder
District was on a map of Germany or know where I could locate an
historical atlas or map that shows Marienwerder?

Many thanks,

--Ed Rice
edr...@deltanet.com

W. Fred Rump

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

edr...@deltanet.com (Ed Rice) wrote:

>I have been trying to locate where my grandfather was from in
>Marienwerder, West Prussia. I have only recently learned that
>Marienwerder was a district and not a town and never was able to
>locate it on a map. Can anyone describe where The Marienwerder
>District was on a map of Germany or know where I could locate an
>historical atlas or map that shows Marienwerder?

I don't have a map handy but I'm pretty sure that marienwerder was
both a Kreis (county) and a town. It was part of the land of former
Westprussia which was given to Poland after the arrangements of
Versailles. That is it became part of the infamous Polish Corridor
which separated East Prussia from Germany proper. It was south of
Danzig.

Fred

W. Fred Rump fr...@k2nesoft.com
26 Warren St. fr...@compu.com
Beverly, NJ
609-386-6846 http://www.k2nesoft.com/~fred

Norbert Brieske

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

>I have been trying to locate where my grandfather was from in
>Marienwerder, West Prussia. I have only recently learned that
>Marienwerder was a district and not a town and never was able to
>locate it on a map. Can anyone describe where The Marienwerder
>District was on a map of Germany or know where I could locate an
>historical atlas or map that shows Marienwerder?

Marienwerder is a small town in the former West-Prussia,that is
now Polish.Today all places have polish names.
In the following URL you will find an old map of West-Prussia
inclusive Marienwerder.The actuell Polish name I don't know.

http://www.feefhs.org/~feefhs/maps/gere/ge-wprus.html

A short description of Prussia's history is at:

http://tally.tally.com/bhp/packnet/prussia.html

Norbert

_______________________________________
Norbert Brieske
MTA am
Max-Planck-Inst.f.Molekulare Genetik
e-mail : bri...@mpimg-berlin-dahlem.mpg.de
Tel. ( Lab ): 030 / 8413 1280
Tel. (Priv.): 030 / 831 26 60
_______________________________________

Stalder-Kim, Paul

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97
to fr...@k2nesoft.com

W. Fred Rump wrote:

> I don't have a map handy but I'm pretty sure that marienwerder was
> both a Kreis (county) and a town. It was part of the land of former
> Westprussia which was given to Poland after the arrangements of
> Versailles. That is it became part of the infamous Polish Corridor
> which separated East Prussia from Germany proper. It was south of
> Danzig.

Marienwerder was a Regierungsbezirk (administrative district with
17547,02 km²) and a Kreis (county with 951,13 km²) and a city.

Regards

Paul Stalder-Kim

Gunthard Stuebs

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97
to fr...@k2nesoft.com

W. Fred Rump <fr...@k2nesoft.com> wrote:
> =

> edr...@deltanet.com (Ed Rice) wrote:
> =

> >I have been trying to locate where my grandfather was from in
> >Marienwerder, West Prussia. I have only recently learned that
> >Marienwerder was a district and not a town and never was able to
> >locate it on a map. Can anyone describe where The Marienwerder
> >District was on a map of Germany or know where I could locate an
> >historical atlas or map that shows Marienwerder?
> >

> =

> I don't have a map handy but I'm pretty sure that marienwerder was
> both a Kreis (county) and a town. It was part of the land of former
> Westprussia which was given to Poland after the arrangements of
> Versailles. That is it became part of the infamous Polish Corridor
> which separated East Prussia from Germany proper. It was south of
> Danzig.

Fred,
I have not much knowledge about West Prussia, but I thought that =

Marienwerder kept German after 1918 and was not a part of the Corridor.
The Marienwerder region kept?/was a Regiergunsbezirk and came to =

East Prussia for the subsequent time up to 1945.

Who is wrong? You or me? =

Gunthard
-- =

* Gunthard St=FCbs * e-mail: Gunthar...@uni-konstanz.de *
* Konstanz, Germany * *

W. Fred Rump

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

Gunthard Stuebs <Gunthar...@uni-konstanz.de> wrote:

>> I don't have a map handy but I'm pretty sure that marienwerder was
>> both a Kreis (county) and a town. It was part of the land of former
>> Westprussia which was given to Poland after the arrangements of

>I have not much knowledge about West Prussia, but I thought that

>Marienwerder kept German after 1918 and was not a part of the Corridor.
>The Marienwerder region kept?/was a Regiergunsbezirk and came to

>East Prussia for the subsequent time up to 1945.
>
>Who is wrong? You or me?

Gunthard,
mea culpa, mea culpa - it is I. :-)

That's what one gets for a quick post without checking the facts.
Marienwerder came to be a part of the westernmost pocket (like a bulge
into the corridor) of the Regierungsbezirk Westpreussen in the
province of East Prussia from 1922-1939. I should know as my hometown
of Elbing was in the same territory but since Marienwerder was so far
into the middle of Westprussia I thought for sure it was cut off and
put into Poland.

Lukasz Bielecki

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

Gunthard Stuebs wrote:

> W. Fred Rump <fr...@k2nesoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > I don't have a map handy but I'm pretty sure that marienwerder was
> > both a Kreis (county) and a town. It was part of the land of former
> > Westprussia which was given to Poland after the arrangements of
> > Versailles. That is it became part of the infamous Polish Corridor
> > which separated East Prussia from Germany proper. It was south of
> > Danzig.
>
> Fred,
> I have not much knowledge about West Prussia, but I thought that
> Marienwerder kept German after 1918 and was not a part of the Corridor.
> The Marienwerder region kept?/was a Regiergunsbezirk and came to
> East Prussia for the subsequent time up to 1945.
>
> Who is wrong? You or me?

Fred is...
Marienwerder (whose Polish name is Kwidzyn) belonged to West Prussia
before 1919. In the 19th century it was a capital city for a district
and a Regierungsbezirk. The latter comprised more-less the southern half
of W. Prussia. It may be interesting that the area around Marienwerder
(not the whole Reg.Bezirk but three districts only) didn't belong to
Poland before 1772 (as the rest of West Prussia) but to Prussia Proper
(formerly Ducal Prussia). Due to administrative regulations in 1815,
this region was incorporated into West Prussia while the formerly Polish
region of Ermland (around Allenstein /Olsztyn/) was included into East
Prussia (becoming a Catholic enclave in this Protestant province).

In Versailles, the Polish delegation claimed the entire province of West
Prussia but finally, as you know, the districts on the East bank of
Vistula remained part of Germany (which was however in accordance with
the ethnic criterion, as this region was German-speaking, with exception
of a small area around Stuhm). It was apparently to small to retain the
identity of the province of West Prussia so was incorporated to East
Prussia as its fourth Regierungsbezirk called "Westpreussen in
Ostpreussen". i don't remember what town was the capital of this Bezirk.
Of course after 1945 this entire region became part of Poland.

Regards

--
Lukasz Bielecki

Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences
Noskowskiego 12/14, PL-61-704 Poznan, phone: +48 61 528503 ext. 154
mailto:biel...@ibch.poznan.pl http://www.man.poznan.pl/~bielecki

Ceterum censeo monarchiam esse restituendam....

Gunthard Stuebs

Feb 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/14/97
to Lukasz Bielecki

Lukasz Bielecki wrote:

> In Versailles, the Polish delegation claimed the entire province of West
> Prussia but finally, as you know, the districts on the East bank of
> Vistula remained part of Germany (which was however in accordance with
> the ethnic criterion, as this region was German-speaking, with exception
> of a small area around Stuhm). It was apparently to small to retain the
> identity of the province of West Prussia so was incorporated to East
> Prussia as its fourth Regierungsbezirk called "Westpreussen in
> Ostpreussen". i don't remember what town was the capital of this Bezirk.

As far as I know Marienwerder kept the seat of the government. But what
I would like to ask: You wrote that "this" region was German-speaking.
What was the official language, which was spoken in West-Prussia between
1772 and 1919 - Polish? Where there differences between different parts
of this province?
If there was a difference between the official and colloquial language
what was the latter one?

Regards,
Gunthard
--
* Gunthard Stübs * e-mail: Gunthar...@uni-konstanz.de *

douglas...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2018, 4:28:53 AM8/2/18
my family also come from Marienwerder and I am trying to find church records from the mid 1600s to the mid 1800s. I have also tried to google the church which is ir was the Evangelische Kirche. Dom (Niederungs) Kirche Marienwerder without any luck.I think another name for it is Evangelische Kirche Gros Nebrau (Kr. Marienwerder). Parish Gross. What does all this mean? Two different churches and where is this church? I am looking for Schmidt family records.
Many thanks Helga

Bernd J. Kaup

Aug 4, 2018, 4:47:32 AM8/4/18
Am 02.08.2018 um 10:28 schrieb hel...@live.com.au:
> my family also come from Marienwerder and I am trying to find church records from the mid 1600s to the mid 1800s. I have also tried to google the church which is ir was the Evangelische Kirche. Dom (Niederungs) Kirche Marienwerder without any luck.I think another name for it is Evangelische Kirche Gros Nebrau (Kr. Marienwerder). Parish Gross. What does all this mean? Two different churches and where is this church? I am looking for Schmidt family records.
> Many thanks Helga

It is very common that a protestant church is only referred to as
Evangelische Kirche+town/village. So if you search for "evangelische
Kirche" you will find numerous entries which do not really help.Like
your finding in the county of Marienwerder (Kreis Marienwerder).
In your a case there is a former roman catholic Dom Kirche (church of a
bishop), which is normally on a hill and a Niederungs-Kirche (in the
lower part of the town) which is built for the citizens wheras the Dom
Kirche was for clerical personell of the church.
The two physical churches in most cases do not form independent
communities, but there is only one parish. Thus the records most likely
will be kept in the Domkirche.
Have you tried the microfilms of the Saints of the Last Days, which may
be available in your local library?

mfg
bjk

watchm...@hotmail.com

Aug 1, 2019, 10:59:54 AM8/1/19
On Wednesday, 5 February 1997 04:30:00 UTC-3:30, Ed Rice wrote:
> I have been trying to locate where my grandfather was from in
> Marienwerder, West Prussia. I have only recently learned that
> Marienwerder was a district and not a town and never was able to
> locate it on a map. Can anyone describe where The Marienwerder
> District was on a map of Germany or know where I could locate an
> historical atlas or map that shows Marienwerder?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> --Ed Rice My wife, Irmgard Kirschke was born in the town of Marienwerder, actual town in the county of Marienwerder. The town was renamed in 1945 to Kwidzyn. I have seen the house in which she was born.
> edr...@deltanet.com

Bernd J. Kaup

Aug 2, 2019, 12:24:01 PM8/2/19
Hail, you answered on an answer of 2018 to a question, which was
referring to an answer of 1997 and extended the scope by using the
reference to a town of 50.000 inhabitants.
mfg
bjk

Daniel Kisielewski

Mar 12, 2021, 2:23:55 PM3/12/21
Hej

I'm with Kwidzyn (Marienwerder) any questions ? :)

J K

Jul 24, 2021, 7:59:39 AM7/24/21
Hi there
My family came from Rospitz, a suburb of Marienwerder, (and also from Danzig), Lutheran faith and spoke German language, to Australia about 1890, but did not have German sounding surnames, Salomon, Sanewski, Wilschefski, Kemsky, Brotkowski, Blum This area is now called Rospidzeny in Poland. They came to Queensland Australia through a deal with the Lutheran church of Germany and the government to clear land and thereby qualifying for ownership etc. My question is what happened to the people there in and around Marienwerder after 1945? Did they leave or got pushed out?