BREAULT ???

Agnes Breault

Sep 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/3/99
Just starting to research my family tree. What is the origin of the name
BREAULT. My grandparents were born 1890-1920 in Massachusetts. I can not
go any further back. Does this name originate in France or French Canada?

Thanks in Advance
Agnes Breault

Robert L Quinnett

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
Agnes,

If you would list your grandparents' names with more specific dates and
places, I feel rather confident that someone will grab onto you.

You are embarking on an interesting chase of an Acadian family that also
became a Québecois family and a Cajun family. You will find it spelled in
many ways, so don't disregard it if it isn't spelled the same way your
family name is. You will run across Bro, Brau, Breau, Breaux, Brault, and
Breault
They came from France, first to Acadia (Acadie) which today is Nova Scotia
and New Brunswick. Some genealogists say they came from the French province
of Poitou. When the British decided to kick the French Acadians out of
Acadie in 1755, they were sent to a lot of places: to the English colonies,
to England, and eventually to France. Some escaped to Québec. Some managed
to evade the redcoats. Some went to Louisiana from some of the other
places. It was all a lot more serious and complicated than I have pointed
out here, but I can't present a subject here about which many books have
been written.

You might want to start by looking at a few Breaus at
http://www.genealogie.com/dgaa/dgaa-b5.html which is part of Denis
Beauregard's offering on Acadie. Denis is co-owner of this newsgroup. Also
look at his website at http://www.cam.org/~beaur/gen/welcome.html.

Happy hunting, Agnes. Give us something to work with, going back from you
with as much information as possible.

Bob dit Lomfou [8th great-grandson of René Breau, believed to have been born
about 1590 in La Chaussée, Loudun, Poitou (Vienne), France]

Agnes Breault <abre...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

leclerc

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
to Agnes Breault
Hello Agnes,

The Brault came from France and got established in New France (French Canada)
My grand parents married in Fall Rivers, Massachusetts. If you are interested
please send me a private e-mail.

Yours truly
Lise

Denis Charest

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
Breault is a Canadian surname and the first ancestor born circa 1669
in France was married in Montreal in 1697. Other spelling also in BRAULT

Denis Charest

Robert Brault

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Bonsoir Agnes,

"Agnes Breault" <abre...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Just starting to research my family tree. What is the origin of the name
>BREAULT. My grandparents were born 1890-1920 in Massachusetts. I can not
>go any further back. Does this name originate in France or French Canada?

Please do contact me via email as I have a huge database on
Breaults and can surely help you with this family name. And you may
surely help me with the more recent generations.

I am pretty convinced that your Breaults from MA originated
from Quebec either from the acadian line of Breaults or from one of
the two Quebec Breaults lines.

My email address is: robert...@ens.csaffluents.qc.ca
////
(-o-o-)
( o )
___oOOo___________________oOOo
Robert Brault
email: robert....@ens.csaffluents.qc.ca
École Internationale
Commission scolaire des Affluents

Robert Brault

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Bonsoir Sheldon,

>And Brou and Braud and Braux.

Brou and Broux is another family found in Louisiana and they
are not related to the Braud and Breaux of Louisiana.

Au revoir.

Robert Brault

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Bonjour Denis,

dech...@pandore.qc.ca (Denis Charest) wrote:

The Breault is only one of the three lines of Breaults; the
line of the Breault dit Lafleur. There are two ther lines of Breaults:
the Breault dit Pominville and the acadian Breaults.

Au revoir

jshe...@acadiacom.net

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Robert Brault wrote:

> Bonsoir Sheldon,
>
> >And Brou and Braud and Braux.
>
> Brou and Broux is another family found in Louisiana and they
> are not related to the Braud and Breaux of Louisiana.

Oh, I have seen families that started as Brou and are now
Breaux.

--
http://www.st-charles.net

Sithgrani

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
>Oh, I have seen families that started as Brou and are now
>Breaux.

The name spellings were anything but standardized. Many "Anglecanized" their
names or changed the name to the direct English translation of their name. I
have run across "White"s that were originally "Lablanc"s, and know of many
"Boadways" in Northern New york that were originally "Beaudoin". Also you will
run into "SOME" French that didn't have an "x" on the end of their name until
the Englich conquered their area and started keeping records (one Genealogy
instructor of mine accredited the "x" in SOME names to the English mis-reading
the tail of an overly fancy "U" from the learned French scribes).

The original name "Choret" (Tanguay's spelling) is now Charette, Charest,
Charate, Charrette (and those are only the few that i have found, I'm sure that
there are a couple of dozen).
Touch not the Cat whose claws are bared.

HEA...@webtv.net

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Hi Agnes,
They came from France, then through Acadia, then Massachusetts. Go to
this website:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/6106 Look in the part about
Acadian Exiles in the Colonies (1755). Then go to which ever colony is
nearest your area. I think Massachusetts was one of them. Tons of
Breault (Breau, Braut, Brault, Brot, Bro, Breaux) in this website.

I have and can find other websites for you. Also, you might also
consider joining the ACADIAN-CAJ...@rootsweb.com Just write
subscribe in the body, and no subject in the subject line. Lots of
Breaux (that's how we spell it in Louisiana) descendants are on this
list, in fact, I am one myself, I think, from way, way back (Mom's
side). Then my father is 100% Acadian descent, as far as I know, and I'm
sure there is Breaux on his side as well, it is one of the most
prodominant Acadian names, besides LeBlanc, Landry, and Hebert. So, nice
to meet you, cousin!!
Heather LeCoq

HEA...@webtv.net

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
>Robert Brault wrote:
Bonsoir Sheldon,
And Brou and Braud and Braux.
                Brou and Broux is
another family found in Louisiana and they are not related to the Braud
and Breaux of Louisiana.
Au revoir.
===================================

Hi Robert,
I'm sure you know alot more about this family than I do, but, are you
sure that the Brou and Broux families are not related to the Breaux
families? I think they probably are. You see, at the time of the
Deportation until the early 1800's, Louisiana had a Spanish government,
and the record takers were mostly Spanish. They recorded people's names
the way that they sounded,(and some did a poor job at spelling!:-)) and
that is how we came to have so many spelling variations, and I have seen
some that are atrocious!! I live in Acadiana, near Lafayette, and I've
never seen this spelling here before, but maybe in other parts of LA
there are some, and I would assume that these are of Acadian descent
also, simply because they all are pronounced the same.

Heather

Denis Beauregard

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
On Sun, 05 Sep 1999 06:41:33 -0500, jshe...@acadiacom.net wrote in
soc.genealogy.french:
Le Sun, 05 Sep 1999 06:41:33 -0500, jshe...@acadiacom.net écrivait
dans soc.genealogy.french:

>Robert Brault wrote:
>>
>> Bonsoir Sheldon,
>>
>> >And Brou and Braud and Braux.
>>
>> Brou and Broux is another family found in Louisiana and they
>> are not related to the Braud and Breaux of Louisiana.
>

>Oh, I have seen families that started as Brou and are now
>Breaux.

This is one trend: think the name that may look like another
is the same as this other one. Then, the name is changed to
be the same as the other one.

For example, JARRET is the original name in my line.
In St-Constant, far from the Jarret mainland (i.e. where they
concentrated), the name changed for CHARRET and that family
kept it after moving to USA (but later changed it to SHARREY
and SHAREY).

Likewise, some BEAUGRAND changed for BEAUREGARD, so each
BEAUREGARD dit CHAMPAGNE is actually a BEAUGRAND dit CHAMPAGNE.

So, some BROU thought they were BREAUX or BRAUD and changed
there name.

Denis

--
0 Denis Beauregard
/\/ Le genealogiste en action

Robert Brault

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Bonjour,

>> Brou and Broux is another family found in Louisiana and they
>> are not related to the Braud and Breaux of Louisiana.
>
>Oh, I have seen families that started as Brou and are now
>Breaux.

Are you sure that they were Brou and not Brau ? The Louisiana
Breaux (or Braud) are from acadian origin, either they came directly
from the New England colonies after the deportation or from France in
the 7 ships of 1785 where they established in Louisiana.

The "real" Broux were not of acadian origin but came directly
from France. There might be some spelling mixup in Louisiana but
climbing the ladder of ancestors will help differenciate the family
lines.

Au revoir,

JTho199837

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
This subject is very interesting. I've been trying to locate info on my family
name that is similiar.There are a variety of spellings for it as you can see:
Breau/Brehio/Brion/Bro/Brault
Susan

Robert L Quinnett

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Agnes,

Normally I don't run a check on my suspense file until a week has passed,
but since I may not be available tomorrow I just thought I would go ahead
and do it today. I hope you won't mind.

Did you ever see my message to you dated 4 September, same subject? I'll be
glad to repeat all of that information I sent if you wish.

Bob dit Lomfou

Agnes Breault <abre...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Just starting to research my family tree. What is the origin of the name
> BREAULT. My grandparents were born 1890-1920 in Massachusetts. I can not
> go any further back. Does this name originate in France or French Canada?

Robert Brault

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
Bonjour Susan,

jtho1...@aol.com (JTho199837) wrote:

Breau/Bro/Brault can be linked together as the same origin bur
Brehio and Brion I have never seen as being member of that same family
in my 15 years of research on the Br(e)aults ...

JTho199837

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
Bonjour Robert,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. This is one line I can't seem to get far
with.
Merci,
Susan

Paul C Newfield

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
U.S. Senator John Breaux (D. La.) is probably your cajun cousin.

Paul Newfield
+++++++++++++

Robert Brault

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Bonsoir Susan,

jtho1...@aol.com (JTho199837) wrote:

>Bonjour Robert,
>Thanks for taking the time to reply. This is one line I can't seem to get far
>with.

If you are able in the future to continue the line, fell free
to contact me again in order to be able to help you.

Austin Guerin

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Where exactly are you looking for "Breault"?

If it's strictly in the US then I can't be of help, but in Quebec,
there's a slight possibility. At least I can point you to references that
will be helpful.

: In soc.genealogy.french JTho199837 <jtho1...@aol.com> wrote:

: > This subject is very interesting. I've been trying to locate info on my family
: > name that is similiar.There are a variety of spellings for it as you can see:
: > Breau/Brehio/Brion/Bro/Brault
: > Susan

--
|Austin Guerin...@torfree.net--Toronto, ON, Canada |

Robert Brault

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
Bonsoir Austin,

an...@torfree.net (Austin Guerin) wrote:

>Where exactly are you looking for "Breault"?
>
>If it's strictly in the US then I can't be of help, but in Quebec,
>there's a slight possibility. At least I can point you to references that
>will be helpful.

Any Breaults in your family ? If so, I would be very
interested in hearing about them as I have a big database of validated
and linked Breaults.

Au revoir,

JTho199837

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
Bonjour Robert,

> If you are able in the future to continue the line, fell free
>to contact me again in order to be able to help you.

Thank You for the offer.You have been very nice.
Susan

JTho199837

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99

Hi Austin,

>Where exactly are you looking for "Breault"?
>
>If it's strictly in the US then I can't be of help, but in Quebec,
>there's a slight possibility. At least I can point you to references that
>will be helpful.

I've traced this line to the New England area. But I believe they came from the
province of Quebec.I'm trying to locate a marriage record.With all the variant
spellings it makes it hard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Susan

Robert Brault

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99
Bonsoir Susan,

>I've traced this line to the New England area. But I believe they came from the
>province of Quebec.I'm trying to locate a marriage record.With all the variant
>spellings it makes it hard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you given me the line before ? Sorry if you have and I
have forgotten; i'm emailing to so many persons that I loose track on
some of these lines. There is a VERY good chance that your line from
New England does in fact come from Quebec, especially if they were in
those states in the beginning of this century or end of the last one.

You can send me the line via email if you want so that I may
help you.

Au revoir,

////
(-o-o-)
( o )

Robert Brault
e-mail: robert....@ens.csaffluents.qc.ca
Robert à André, à Gaston, à Agapit, à Louis,
à Louis-Joseph, à Joseph, à Joseph, à Joseph,
à Pierre, à Vincent

jayef...@gmail.com

May 31, 2020, 2:25:39 AM5/31/20
Need to know more about the Breaux side of my family.. I'm the 10th generation and my kids are the 11th..I have tons of info of the family but would love to learn more or meet more of my family.. Thanks!