Re: Line of Pierre PREVOST to Marie PREVOST-PROVOST

Jack

May 28, 2006, 7:44:50 PM5/28/06
Greetings,
P.S.
I believe Abenaquis was a tribe and Algonquin was a nation made up of
several tribes .It is my understanding that in the marriage of Martin
Provost et Marie Oliver that on whould not be able to find the parents of
Marie as in the case of an Algonquin she would have taken a new last name
and not that of her Father.As was the custom of the Algonquins.
Any ideas??
a Bientot
Jack Langlois

May 29, 2006, 10:15:36 PM5/29/06
Hi: Here is what I have from the research made by one of my cousin..

Marie Olivie Sylvestre Manitouabewich born about 1624 died September 10 1665
in Quebec, QC
daughter of
Roch Manitouabewich and Koeou (Sauvagesse) Outchibahabanou

married
Martin Prevost (son of Pierre and Charlotte Vien) November 3, 1644 in
Quebec, QC

Roch Manitouabewich, born abt 1600 died unknown
married Koeou (Sauvagesse) Outchibahabanou about 1620
Koeou (Sauvagesse) born about 1602, died unknown

Yes, Manitouabewich and Manitouabich are among the different ways you will
find the name spelled.

raymond
""Jack"" <j1...@charter.net> wrote in message

Denis Beauregard

May 29, 2006, 11:30:40 PM5/29/06
On Mon, 29 May 2006 22:15:36 -0400, "Raymond" <can...@videotron.ca>
wrote in soc.genealogy.french:

>Roch Manitouabewich, born abt 1600 died unknown
>married Koeou (Sauvagesse) Outchibahabanou about 1620
>Koeou (Sauvagesse) born about 1602, died unknown

Please avoid inventing dates. Some people will think you have
find some lost record. Or try to find some mean to hide them
when you print a report.

As far as I know, the name of the mother is found in only one place,
the Jesuit relations, with no age, and Roch appears likely in two
places, the Jesuit relations and the daughter's marriage, also with
no age.

According to PRDH-RAB, the daughter is always called Marie
OLIVIER (except in one case where it is Marie Olivier Sylvestre
and an author proposed it was Sauvage and not Sylvestre). It is
not Marie Olivie Sylvestre Manitouabewich.

Denis

michel provost

May 30, 2006, 8:10:58 AM5/30/06
Hello Jack,

Marie Manitouabewich was an Algonquin (tribe) of the Abenaquis nation.

As you know there are no written record amongst the Indians but we are
lucky the the Jesuits Fathers kept such a record. That way we know that
the Jesuits named Marie's father: Roch (Rock) Manitouabewich and
Marie's mother: Ouchibahabanoukoueou!

But that as far as we could know. Roch Manitouabewich worked for the
French in Quebec as a guide. He learned French and became a
translator.The Jesuits then told him that he should have his children go
to French school and that's what he did with his daughter Marie who was
raised by a French family so that sho could go to the Nun's school .

Hope this help!

Adrien Provost
Saint-Calixte

Michel ;-))