Morriset/Morrissett/Morrissette

Helen Flagg

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
I am seeking information concerning my earliest American ancestor
Pierre MORRISET, who left London in 1700 for America, arriving in
James City, Va. later that year. He became a member of an early
Huguenot settlement near Richmond, Va. called Manakintowne.
He married Elizabeth Faure. He may have come directly from France to
embark, or he may have been a member of a Huguenot family which
left France earlier and resided in London or another country. I have not
been able to locate him in the Huguenot records of England.

I am told that there may have been two Morriset brothers who left France
because of the religious persecution prevalent then. I am also told that
the Morriset surname has been and may still be present in the LaRochelle
area, that its earliest existence stems from followers of St. Maurice (little
Maurice or Morris-et), who was a military leader of Theban soldiers
and a Christian martyr, and that this surname in its earliest form may have
been spelled MORRISSET/ MAURICETT. There is also an indication
from etymological books of French surnames that this surname is
originally from the Dauphine, Lyonnasi, Jura, or Savoie areas of France.

I would like to make contact with anyone in France who may have
information on the MORRISET/MORRISSETT surname and who might
possibly give me direction for further research.

Merci,

Helen Morrissette Flagg
Houston, Texas
USA

Guy Maes

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
Bonjour Helene... Morrisset can come from "Maure"=
"More, Maurisque" which means Arabs from Spain ( as
you know, this people ar named in french "Maure,
More", they 're the arab conquerors of Spain (600
A.D) and many people of this time were called
"Maure, More" when they came from south France which
has been muslim 20 or 25 years to finally being
liberated by Charlemagne. and "isset" i think mis a
diminutive Morrisset means the little More...

Denis Beauregard

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 23:09:31 +0200, Guy Maes <guy....@worldonline.fr>
wrote in soc.genealogy.french:
Le Wed, 16 Jun 1999 23:09:31 +0200, Guy Maes <guy....@worldonline.fr>
écrivait dans soc.genealogy.french:

>Bonjour Helene... Morrisset can come from "Maure"=
>"More, Maurisque" which means Arabs from Spain ( as

Actually, Maure means a dark color of skin. So,
it can also means a small person with dark skin.
By the way, nearly all name meaning is fictive.
If you don't use words existing at the time the
name was created, and in the area it was created,
you can get almost anything but the right origin.

Morrissette can also be a derivative of Mauricette,
that is the female form of Maurice (Morris in English).
By the way, St-Maurice was living in end of 3e century,
and the Islam exists since the 7th century. So,
if Maurice is derivated from Maur meaning an arab,
then someone is time travelling...

Denis

--
0 Denis Beauregard
/\/ Le genealogiste en action

Xenia

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99

Here are some Morissette/Morriset/etc. sites:

Association des Familles Morissette ---French and English
http://www.genealogie.org/famille/morissette/morissette.htm

http://genforum.familytreemaker.com/morrissette/

http://www.fun-move.com/Noella/biomoris.htm

There are some very helpful people on the first one who helped me find my
Morissette cousins - not a direct line and I do not recognize the names
you give so may be of different origins but you never know.

Bonne chance et a bientot,

Xenia Stanford (xen...@cuug.ab.ca)
l Stanford Solutions & l
l A.G.E. Ancestree Genealogical Enterprises l
l Suite 325, 300, 8120 Beddington Blvd. N.W.l
l Calgary, Alberta T3K 2A8 CANADA l

Morrissett John

Sep 24, 2020, 8:41:24 PM9/24/20
Hi Helen -- I realize that this thread is from 20 years ago, but curious if you ever found anything interesting? I'm related to Pierre Morriset too.

Thanks,
John Morrissett
Richmond, VA