Is this group still active?

Andrew Hatchett

Sep 16, 2022, 5:52:34 PM9/16/22
Trying to clean up my Groups

Robert Riches

Sep 16, 2022, 11:23:02 PM9/16/22
On 2022-09-16, Andrew Hatchett <agh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Trying to clean up my Groups

Best of luck cleaning up your groups. It has been rather quiet
here the past couple/few years. I think your post is the first
one I have seen in at least a couple of months.

--
Robert Riches
spamt...@jacob21819.net

Nigel Reed

Sep 19, 2022, 1:52:36 PM9/19/22
On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 14:52:33 -0700 (PDT)
Andrew Hatchett <agh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Trying to clean up my Groups

I don't think many groups are active any more but I keep them around
just in case.

Of course, you can always start a thread and see where it goes.

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Ian Goddard

Sep 20, 2022, 9:55:27 AM9/20/22
On 16/09/2022 22:52, Andrew Hatchett wrote:
> Trying to clean up my Groups

Does anyone have thoughts about posting useful source code here?

Dennis

Sep 20, 2022, 10:11:17 AM9/20/22
For example?

--

Dennis

Ian Goddard

Sep 21, 2022, 6:51:48 AM9/21/22
I have writtem for my own use, a program inspired by the old Windows
cardfile,exe. It can file text, tabular and image cards.

All can be created by pasting from the clipboard and all can be reading
files: .txt, .csv and various image formats such as .jpg & .png. Any
individual card can also be saved to a file of appropriate format. It
doesn't support mixed type of data on a single card but cards of
different types can be mixed freely.

Text and tabular cards can also be created blank for manual data entry.

The saved format for a collection of files is text, any images being
saved in base64. A saved file can be merged into the current file.

An extension also attempts to simplify entering text from PDFs with an
OCR layer. These notoriously have lines of original texxt fragments.
This will simply join t paragraph's worth of fragments back into a
single paragraph - it won't deal with misread characters or fragments
which hav got out of order.

It's developed in Lazarus/Free Pascal. Although it's developed on Linux
Lazarus is available for Windows & Macs as well.

Tony Proctor

Sep 24, 2022, 8:33:54 AM9/24/22
I always considered these groups to be Q&A, but I have published several items of free genealogical software, the most sophisticated being SVG-FTH
(https://parallaxviewpoint.com/SVG-FTG/), designed to produce a graphical depiction of your tree for the Web (using SVG), but also allow interaction
with your tree and the addition of custom functionality.

Although I have since left the world of public genealogy, this is still supported because I use it myself. :-)

Tony

Tony Proctor

Sep 24, 2022, 8:35:07 AM9/24/22

Joe Makowiec

Sep 24, 2022, 11:40:54 AM9/24/22
On 24 Sep 2022 in soc.genealogy.computing, Tony Proctor wrote:

> I always considered these groups to be Q&A, but I have published
> several items of free genealogical software, the most sophisticated
> being SVG-FTH (https://parallaxviewpoint.com/SVG-FTG/), designed to
> produce a graphical depiction of your tree for the Web (using SVG),
> but also allow interaction with your tree and the addition of custom
> functionality.

Thanks! That looks interesting. Having moved server a couple of years
back (!), I want to get my tree back up, and I still haven't found a
really adequate means to do so.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Nigel Reed

Sep 24, 2022, 4:08:21 PM9/24/22
On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 15:40:53 -0000 (UTC)
Joe Makowiec <mako...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 24 Sep 2022 in soc.genealogy.computing, Tony Proctor wrote:
>
> > I always considered these groups to be Q&A, but I have published
> > several items of free genealogical software, the most sophisticated
> > being SVG-FTH (https://parallaxviewpoint.com/SVG-FTG/), designed to
> > produce a graphical depiction of your tree for the Web (using SVG),
> > but also allow interaction with your tree and the addition of custom
> > functionality.
>
> Thanks! That looks interesting. Having moved server a couple of years
> back (!), I want to get my tree back up, and I still haven't found a
> really adequate means to do so.

Have you looked at the TNG genealogy software?

https://tngsitebuilding.com/

You can see a sample of it working with my tree with 10,000+
individuals.

https://family.sysadmininc.com

Tony Proctor

Sep 27, 2022, 4:10:35 AM9/27/22
In view of other software being mentioned here, I'll just add a few differentiators for SVG-FTG which may, or may not, be something specifically of
interest:

1) It's free but with lots of documentation and instructional videos
2) It can run online or offline
3) Files can be emailed to a recipient if internet privacy is required
5) Recipients do not require a subscription to any external site
5) It is extremely customisable, allowing functionality to be added to buttons on people/families

I had very specific requirements when I wrote this, but I appreciate that many people will want a product that just gives them all their options
straight out of the box, and that's great; I understand.

Tony

Steve Hayes

Oct 3, 2022, 7:51:00 AM10/3/22
On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 11:51:40 +0100, Ian Goddard
<ian...@austonley.org.uk> wrote:

>I have writtem for my own use, a program inspired by the old Windows
>cardfile,exe. It can file text, tabular and image cards.
>
>All can be created by pasting from the clipboard and all can be reading
>files: .txt, .csv and various image formats such as .jpg & .png. Any
>individual card can also be saved to a file of appropriate format. It
>doesn't support mixed type of data on a single card but cards of
>different types can be mixed freely.
>
>Text and tabular cards can also be created blank for manual data entry.

Can it print output on to cards?

There were a couple of programs available for older versions of PAF
that could do that, but they probably won't work with modern printers.

--
Steve Hayes
Web: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/

Martin B

Oct 3, 2022, 1:16:44 PM10/3/22
SVG-FTG looks very interesting and I intend to take a more detailed look at it. Topola Viewer - https://pewu.github.io/topola-viewer/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtvqVBhCVARIsAFUxcRsfh1IreaVO3QSke-6Ycy_MFtar2qOBo0E69Q6i_jNgo2RL4hs2nxUaArltEALw_wcB#/ does something similar but I am not enough of a programmer to use the code directly in my website - instead I embed the Topola Viewer webpage - see https://www.burnelluk.info/topola.html
An alternative to TNG is the open source Webtrees (fork of PHPGedView) which has an interactive chart - see https://burnelluk.info/burnelltree/index.php?route=%2Fburnelltree%2Fmodule%2Ftree%2FChart%2FTree&xref=I5

Martin

Ian Goddard

Oct 7, 2022, 9:16:56 AM10/7/22
On 03/10/2022 12:52, Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 11:51:40 +0100, Ian Goddard
> <ian...@austonley.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have writtem for my own use, a program inspired by the old Windows
>> cardfile,exe. It can file text, tabular and image cards.
>>
>> All can be created by pasting from the clipboard and all can be reading
>> files: .txt, .csv and various image formats such as .jpg & .png. Any
>> individual card can also be saved to a file of appropriate format. It
>> doesn't support mixed type of data on a single card but cards of
>> different types can be mixed freely.
>>
>> Text and tabular cards can also be created blank for manual data entry.
>
> Can it print output on to cards?
>
> There were a couple of programs available for older versions of PAF
> that could do that, but they probably won't work with modern printers.

The presentation is card-index like but the data it it presents can be
arbitrarily long text as well as tabular data and images. There would
be no guarantee that the data could be fitted onto a card format. As it
stands I haven't added a print function as that wasn't it's purpose

Having said that the program is modular with the intention that custom
card formats can be added so it wouldn't be impossible to change than.
In fact I had reading the vcard format (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCard ) in mind as a possible extra. I
wonder if anyone has considered adapting vcard as a genealogical record
format.