Familysearch and images

Joe Makowiec

Mar 11, 2020, 4:29:02 PM3/11/20
I've noticed in the past couple of days that many resources - the 1900 US
census comes to mind - which previously had images available at the
familysearch.org website now say "Images Available", but you have to go
to a family history center or affiliated library. Does anybody know
what's going on? Why are these resources less available?

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Steve Hayes

Mar 12, 2020, 2:57:30 AM3/12/20
On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 20:29:01 -0000 (UTC), Joe Makowiec
<mako...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>I've noticed in the past couple of days that many resources - the 1900 US
>census comes to mind - which previously had images available at the
>familysearch.org website now say "Images Available", but you have to go
>to a family history center or affiliated library. Does anybody know
>what's going on? Why are these resources less available?

Yes, I noticed that with the 1930 US Census too.

--
Steve Hayes
Web: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/

Denis Beauregard

Mar 12, 2020, 10:44:37 AM3/12/20
<mako...@invalid.invalid> wrote in soc.genealogy.computing:

>I've noticed in the past couple of days that many resources - the 1900 US
>census comes to mind - which previously had images available at the
>familysearch.org website now say "Images Available", but you have to go
>to a family history center or affiliated library. Does anybody know
>what's going on? Why are these resources less available?

Something weird ! I saved a lot of pointers to US census, using
a pointer from the search.

"United States Census, 1910," database with images, FamilySearch

then the link which I saved. Because the links are to the image
(and not to the content), most of these references are now lost.
But in some cases, the list of names in the census page is still
shown.

It looks like if you saved the link and go directly to a page,
you won't see it, but if you perform a search, then change the
link on the URL line of the web browser, you can view it sometimes.

On the other hand, now I see a lot of new records not available
previously. Like if their bandwidth is limited and they
need now it for the new records.

Denis

--
Denis Beauregard - généalogiste émérite (FQSG)
Les Français d'Amérique du Nord - http://www.francogene.com/gfan/gfan/998/

David Oseas

Mar 12, 2020, 12:33:03 PM3/12/20
On 3/11/2020 1:29 PM, Joe Makowiec wrote:
> I've noticed in the past couple of days that many resources - the 1900 US
> census comes to mind - which previously had images available at the
> familysearch.org website now say "Images Available", but you have to go
> to a family history center or affiliated library. Does anybody know
> what's going on? Why are these resources less available?

They still show up as unrestricted in the catalog. I've reported the
bug to the FS support staff. I'll let the group know when I hear back
from them.

Regards,
David Oseas

Researching:
HYMAN/HEYMAN/HEIMOWITS/CHAJMOVITS: Zemplen-Dobra, Hungary > New York
KLEIN: Satoraljaujhely (Ujhely), Hungary > New York > Los Angeles
OSEAS/OSIAS/OSIASI/OZIAS: Iasi, Romania > Chicago > Milwaukee > Los Angeles
SCHECHTER/SCHACHTER: Odessa, Ukraine > New York; SHERMAN: Iasi, Romania
> New York > Los Angeles; STECKER: New York > Florida
WICHMAN: Syczkowo (Bobruisk), Belarus > Milwaukee > Los Angeles

David Oseas

Mar 13, 2020, 11:58:57 AM3/13/20
On 3/12/2020 9:33 AM, I wrote:
> I've reported the bug to the FS support staff.  I'll let the group know when I hear back
> from them.

Heard back from my contacts: "This is an upgrade issue that has
disabled some collections. We are working to restore it, but it is a
very large issue affecting many collections and it’s going to take
several days to fix."

Ian Goddard

Mar 13, 2020, 8:11:53 PM3/13/20
On 13/03/20 15:58, David Oseas wrote:
> Heard back from my contacts:   "This is an upgrade issue that has
> disabled some collections. We are working to restore it, but it is a
> very large issue affecting many collections and it’s going to take
> several days to fix."

Another upgrade that breaks stuff. Has testing gone out of fashion?
(Rhetorical question)

Ian

Joe Makowiec

Mar 13, 2020, 10:10:54 PM3/13/20
On 13 Mar 2020 in soc.genealogy.computing, David Oseas wrote:

> Heard back from my contacts: "This is an upgrade issue that has
> disabled some collections. We are working to restore it, but it is a
> very large issue affecting many collections and itƒ Ts going to take
> several days to fix."

Thanks for the reply. The site currently reports:

Some features on FamilySearch may be unavailable as we make
improvements to the site starting Friday, March 13th at 8:00 pm
(UTC-04:00) and lasting about 60 hours. We apologize for the
inconvenience.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 14, 2020, 8:28:34 AM3/14/20
Speaking as a 92 year old man, am I supposed to be surprised that the
smarter we get the dumber we get?

Hugh

Denis Beauregard

Mar 14, 2020, 12:03:38 PM3/14/20
On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 00:11:52 +0000, Ian Goddard
<ia...@austonley.org.uk> wrote in soc.genealogy.computing:
I found this morning a page with the number of records available
on FamilySearch.

o Searchable names in records: 7.08 billion
o Searchable records: 4.77 billion
o Published record images: 3.06 billion

So we are lucky all this is available and the site is usually
working nicely ! At least, we know it is a bug that will be corrected.

David Oseas

Mar 14, 2020, 4:34:19 PM3/14/20
On 3/13/2020 5:11 PM, Ian Goddard wrote:

> Another upgrade that breaks stuff.  Has testing gone out of fashion?
> (Rhetorical question)

[off topic]
As a software developer for a tech company, I can state that with
today's multi-tier, distributed architectures, even the most rigorous
testing won't uncover every issue. The best you can hope for is to have
a good ready response team standing by to handle the fall out.

I used to dread rolling out customer-facing updates. However, with
modern system architecture, you can usually stage the rollout so that
only some of the customers are affected.

Unfortunately, with backend and infrastructure changes, you usually
don't have this option.
[/off topic]

I just checked & the 1900 Census images are now available to me. Don't
know if this is intermittent, or a permanent "fix".

Ian Goddard

Mar 14, 2020, 4:50:55 PM3/14/20
On 14/03/20 20:34, David Oseas wrote:
> On 3/13/2020 5:11 PM, Ian Goddard wrote:
>>
>> Another upgrade that breaks stuff.  Has testing gone out of fashion?
>> (Rhetorical question)
>
> [off topic]
> As a software developer for a tech company, I can state that with
> today's multi-tier, distributed architectures, even the most rigorous
> testing won't uncover every issue.

And as an antique sometime developer I can only offer this advice:
don't build what you can't test.

Ian

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 15, 2020, 8:38:07 AM3/15/20
That sounds like game, set, match to me.

Hugh