Closing of Rootsweb genealogy mailing lists

Steve Hayes

Jan 10, 2020, 9:46:00 PM1/10/20
I searched in vain for a public announcement or news report about the
closure of the Rootsweb genealogy mailing lists. It is being done
almost secretively. Members of lists without active moderators who
pass on the information will find themselves cut off without knowing
why.

I've therefore written a blog post, giving as much information as I
have at the moment, to try to let people know what is happening.

https://t.co/8Bhy5ya5AQ

Please help to let people know what is happening by posting links to
that post (and any news items you may find) on social media sites,
genealogy forums etc.

--
Steve Hayes
Web: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/

David Oseas

Jan 11, 2020, 1:19:30 PM1/11/20
On 1/10/2020 6:50 PM, Steve Hayes wrote:
> I searched in vain for a public announcement or news report about the
> closure of the Rootsweb genealogy mailing lists. It is being done
> almost secretively. Members of lists without active moderators who
> pass on the information will find themselves cut off without knowing
> why.

Ancestry supposedly Emailed "many users", but I was a long time RootsWeb
user & never received notification -- even though I have the same Email
address as when I first signed up.

I read about it on Dick Eastman's blog
(https://blog.eogn.com/2020/01/07/rootsweb-mailing-lists-to-be-discontinued/
)

Regards,

-David

Steve Hayes

Jan 11, 2020, 1:41:21 PM1/11/20
On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 10:19:27 -0800, David Oseas
<doseas{nospam}@usa.net> wrote:

>On 1/10/2020 6:50 PM, Steve Hayes wrote:
>> I searched in vain for a public announcement or news report about the
>> closure of the Rootsweb genealogy mailing lists. It is being done
>> almost secretively. Members of lists without active moderators who
>> pass on the information will find themselves cut off without knowing
>> why.
>>

>Ancestry supposedly Emailed "many users", but I was a long time RootsWeb
>user & never received notification -- even though I have the same Email
>address as when I first signed up.

They didn't email me about any of the list of which I am the "owner".

Charlie Hoffpauir

Jan 11, 2020, 3:25:44 PM1/11/20
On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 04:50:45 +0200, Steve Hayes
<haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>I searched in vain for a public announcement or news report about the
>closure of the Rootsweb genealogy mailing lists. It is being done
>almost secretively. Members of lists without active moderators who
>pass on the information will find themselves cut off without knowing
>why.
>
>I've therefore written a blog post, giving as much information as I
>have at the moment, to try to let people know what is happening.
>
>https://t.co/8Bhy5ya5AQ
>
>Please help to let people know what is happening by posting links to
>that post (and any news items you may find) on social media sites,
>genealogy forums etc.

Unfortunately I can't remember details as well as I once could, so
maybe someone else remembers what was "promised" by Ancestry when they
acquired Rootsweb. I have a vague recollection that some things were
promised.... but perhaps it's just wishful thinking. Now that they've
cancelled mail lists, will user web sites be the next to go?