Spamers attack Genealogy Newsgroups

6 views
Skip to first unread message

Steve Hayes

unread,
Jun 7, 2021, 4:16:11 AMJun 7
to
Spammers have recently attacked several genealogy newsgroups,
intending to hijack them.

I've noticed a sharp incease in spam in soc.genealogy.ireland and
soc.genealgy.misc

Spammers who hijack a newsgroup flood it with spam and drive out the
regular users who find that 99% of the messages are off-topic
spam.They have done this with soc.history, posting message welcoming
people to the local dating group for Mobile, Alabama, or some other
town in the USA. It's a bit counterproductive, though, because, having
driven all the regular users out, there's bno one left to read their
spam except other spammers.

But one of the lessons to learn is, use it or lose it.

If people don't use the newsgroups enough, it's like an empty house,
and the squatters move in.




--
Steve Hayes
Web: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/
http://hayesgreene.blogspot.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/afgen/

Ian Goddard

unread,
Jun 7, 2021, 12:21:01 PMJun 7
to
On 07/06/2021 09:18, Steve Hayes wrote:
> Spammers have recently attacked several genealogy newsgroups,
> intending to hijack them.
>
> I've noticed a sharp incease in spam in soc.genealogy.ireland and
> soc.genealgy.misc
>
> Spammers who hijack a newsgroup flood it with spam and drive out the
> regular users who find that 99% of the messages are off-topic
> spam.They have done this with soc.history, posting message welcoming
> people to the local dating group for Mobile, Alabama, or some other
> town in the USA. It's a bit counterproductive, though, because, having
> driven all the regular users out, there's bno one left to read their
> spam except other spammers.
>
> But one of the lessons to learn is, use it or lose it.
>
> If people don't use the newsgroups enough, it's like an empty house,
> and the squatters move in.
>
>
>
>

Easily dealt with. Don't use mail versions of the groups. Don't use
Google Groups. Get a Usenet feed - your ISP might bundle this,
otherwise there are (or were last time I looked) free options and at
worst about a tenner a year - and a reader such as Thunderbird which
lets you ignore specific threads. These spammers seem to repeatedly
post to one or two threads. Ignore those threads and don't see any more
of the spam.

Steve Hayes

unread,
Jun 8, 2021, 2:51:27 PMJun 8
to
On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 17:20:57 +0100, Ian Goddard
<ia...@austonley.org.uk> wrote:

>On 07/06/2021 09:18, Steve Hayes wrote:
>> Spammers have recently attacked several genealogy newsgroups,
>> intending to hijack them.

>Easily dealt with. Don't use mail versions of the groups. Don't use
>Google Groups. Get a Usenet feed - your ISP might bundle this,
>otherwise there are (or were last time I looked) free options and at
>worst about a tenner a year - and a reader such as Thunderbird which
>lets you ignore specific threads. These spammers seem to repeatedly
>post to one or two threads. Ignore those threads and don't see any more
>of the spam.

The only time I go to Groogle Groups is to report the spam.

Unfortuntely they only let you do it one message at a time.

Graeme Wall

unread,
Jun 8, 2021, 2:55:44 PMJun 8
to
On 08/06/2021 19:54, Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 17:20:57 +0100, Ian Goddard
> <ia...@austonley.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 07/06/2021 09:18, Steve Hayes wrote:
>>> Spammers have recently attacked several genealogy newsgroups,
>>> intending to hijack them.
>
>> Easily dealt with. Don't use mail versions of the groups. Don't use
>> Google Groups. Get a Usenet feed - your ISP might bundle this,
>> otherwise there are (or were last time I looked) free options and at
>> worst about a tenner a year - and a reader such as Thunderbird which
>> lets you ignore specific threads. These spammers seem to repeatedly
>> post to one or two threads. Ignore those threads and don't see any more
>> of the spam.
>
> The only time I go to Groogle Groups is to report the spam.
>
> Unfortuntely they only let you do it one message at a time.
>
>

You are wasting your time.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Hawk

unread,
Jun 11, 2021, 12:38:32 AMJun 11
to
On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 17:20:57 +0100, Ian Goddard
<ia...@austonley.org.uk> wrote:

I use Agent as the news reader and use Eternal September as the Usenet
feed, both are free, though ES asks for donations. I hardly ever see
any spam, and even better I don't have to use Google Groups.

Cheers,
Henry
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages