PAF on Linux via Wine?

Robert M. Riches Jr.

Jan 8, 2006, 9:27:36 PM1/8/06
Has anyone succeeded in using PAF on Linux, via Wine or some
other means? The times I have tried to install PAF under
Wine, the installshield has bombed out with a report that
the installer has dereferenced a null pointer. (Motivation
for the query is my house is a Microsoft-free zone, and my
wife is going to be taking a class on PAF that may
require/encourage homework using PAF at home.)

Thanks.

--
Robert Riches
spamt...@verizon.net

David A' Rebel

Jan 8, 2006, 10:53:36 PM1/8/06
Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

> Has anyone succeeded in using PAF on Linux, via Wine or some
> other means? The times I have tried to install PAF under
> Wine, the installshield has bombed out with a report that
> the installer has dereferenced a null pointer. (Motivation
> for the query is my house is a Microsoft-free zone, and my
> wife is going to be taking a class on PAF that may
> require/encourage homework using PAF at home.)
>
> Thanks.

I haven't managed to get it to work under wine either..Keep at it though
maybe a wine update will enable it to happen, in the mean time try out
Gramps which is a native linux genealogy program.

Robert M. Riches Jr.

Jan 8, 2006, 11:54:24 PM1/8/06

Thanks for the suggestion to try Gramps. We have already
been using it.

Denis Beauregard

Jan 9, 2006, 12:44:41 AM1/9/06
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:27:36 GMT, "Robert M. Riches Jr."
<spamt...@verizon.net> wrote in soc.genealogy.computing:

>Has anyone succeeded in using PAF on Linux, via Wine or some
>other means? The times I have tried to install PAF under
>Wine, the installshield has bombed out with a report that
>the installer has dereferenced a null pointer. (Motivation
>for the query is my house is a Microsoft-free zone, and my
>wife is going to be taking a class on PAF that may
>require/encourage homework using PAF at home.)

There is something called LAF (Linux Ancestral File), which was
supposed to be a PAF for Linux. But last time I checked, it
was more a dead project than anything else. Worse, someone
(a Linux addict and not a genealogist) found a very long list
of Linux genealogy softwares, but when I tried to find some of
them, most were vaporware.

Denis

Gary Garrard

Jan 9, 2006, 1:11:22 AM1/9/06
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:27:36 +0000, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

> Has anyone succeeded in using PAF on Linux, via Wine or some other
> means? The times I have tried to install PAF under Wine, the
> installshield has bombed out with a report that the installer has
> dereferenced a null pointer. (Motivation for the query is my house is a
> Microsoft-free zone, and my wife is going to be taking a class on PAF
> that may require/encourage homework using PAF at home.)

Take a look at <http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/linux/paf/>.

I haven't tried this, so I don't know to what extent it really works. But
it is worth a try.

> Thanks.

NHill

Jan 9, 2006, 4:56:36 AM1/9/06
I tried and failed as well.
Used Gramps for a while and Ftree both not bad, but I had been spoiled
by the choices in the MS environment.

I used SUSE Linux, great OS, everything available - for NO COST and
half and hour to an hour for a full install.

But no genalogy package would do everything that I was used to

So;

I eventually gave up and spent a frustrating day putting Windows back
on my PC because I want a good genealogy package.

Noela Hill

Robert M. Riches Jr.

Jan 9, 2006, 4:25:52 PM1/9/06

Thanks for the pointer. I'm off to give it a try.

David Rowell

Jan 14, 2006, 2:07:26 PM1/14/06
Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
> Has anyone succeeded in using PAF on Linux, via Wine or some
> other means?
Make a search on www.winehq.com for 'paf' (don't get fancy or you won't
find it) and follow along on the comments and bugs until something
begins to work.

> The times I have tried to install PAF under
> Wine, the installshield has bombed out with a report that

Right now the install works as McKnab says but the program doesn't function.

I'm afraid that your house will soon become MS contaminated! Take heard
- it doesn't take a lot of horsepower to run PAF - Win 98 is OK - you
could buy a cheap used box that would be fine. Maybe a notebook that
she could take with her to research sessions?

Hugh Watkins

Jan 14, 2006, 5:08:16 PM1/14/06
David Rowell wrote:

or find one in a dumpster