Occupations [from Dutch in English]

Hweekhout

Jul 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/4/99
Hallo everyone,

Occupations in Dutch:
zaadmeter, stadskorenmeter, kalkmeter, sluiswachter, steendrukker.

Can someone translate the occupations into english please.

Many thanks,

Henri
week...@integritynet.com.au

Pete Jansen

Jul 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/5/99
Hi, I'm not sure of the first four but the last one I think is Stonemason
or brick layer.
Could the third one be Watchman for locks. These are on Canals and allow
boats to move up or down levels on a canal. Hope this helps. Maybe if you
tell me a little about each occupation I can translate better.
Bye for now.

Esther Perry

Jul 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/5/99
> Hi, I'm not sure of the first four but the last one I think is Stonemason
> or brick layer.

No, it's a lithographer.

Esther Perry
--
Groeten uit/Greetings from Beautiful British Columbia
Email: mailto:Esther...@bc.sympatico.ca

Pat Hanry

Jul 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/6/99
Hello Henri

I have come across the occupation "korenmeter". This was explained to me as someone who measures out grain (I don't know the equivalent English word; for the time being I use "grain measurer"). The grain in this case would have been used for making jenever (or other alcohol); or perhaps for milling into flour.

With this in mind, I would guess:
Zaadmeter = someone who measures out seeds
Stadskorenmeter = Korenmeter, but perhaps in some sort of official sense, for the city(?)
Kalkmeter = someone who measures out lime (for making mortar, etc.)

Hope this helps
Patricia
mi...@mail.ocis.net

Paul De Clerck

Jul 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/6/99
It is not a mason at all but he works with stones. Steendrukker is a
'drukker' (printer) using 'steen' (stone) to reproduce the printed
matter. The translation in modern english of 'steendruk' is
'lithography' and a 'steendrukker' is a 'lithographer'.
The first three are old functions:
- zaadmeter is (an official) measurer of seeds
- stadskorenmeter is the official corn-measurer for the city
(appointed by, and using standard volume measures approved by the
authorities of the city)
- kalkmeter is the same for lime or quick lime;
- sluiswachter is indeed a lockmaster, which still exists today.
--
Groetjes uit - Greetings from - Bonjour de
Leuven (Brabant - Belgium)

Pete Jansen <pete_...@bc.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> Hi, I'm not sure of the first four but the last one I think is
Stonemason
> or brick layer.

Frans Vandenbrink

Jul 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/6/99
Or " Lockkeeper"

"or...@lycosmail.com" wrote:

> The correct English term, or at least the one we use here
> in Canada is "lockmaster". This is the person who operates
> a lock, called a sluis in Dutch.
>
> Harm
>
> **** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

Fam. H. Koning

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
http://www.ufsia.ac.be/genealogy/pages/dutchocc.htm

is a site I came accross today on the internet which offers translations
into English of many occupations figuring in Dutch genealogies. Hope it
might be of help!

Else Koning