YEOMAN AND CO. PHOTOGRAPHERS

D&J Hutchison

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

I'm looking for anyone who knows where the photographers Yeoman and Co. of
Royal Arcade had their business. The photo that I have was probably taken
around the early 1900's.
Many thanks
Jeanette Hutchison
hu...@ois.net.au

----------
> From: Andrew Billinghurst <billin...@slim.agvic.gov.au>
> To: D&J Hutchison <hu...@ois.net.au>
> Subject: Re: Aust.&NZ Newsgroups
> Date: Wednesday, June 04, 1997 5:58 AM
>
> On 3 Jun 97 at 16:30, D&J Hutchison wrote:
>
> > Andrew all it actually says in a box that pops up is This message
could
> > not be sent an error has occurred.
> >
> > Should I contact the internet service they we deal through?
> > Jeanette
> >
> Jeanette,
>
> Let's go through this in parts to isolate the problem then and also
> to get your message out.
>
> 1) Mail your post for GENANZ to me and I will forward it to the list.
> Do not put any mention of me in the post, just make it
> exactly as you want it posted. If I receive it, I will forward it
> directly to the list without opening so it should appear with your
> name on it. Just in case though, be sure to clearly identify
> yourself in the message.
>
> This should check to see whether it was the message itself.
> Regards Andrew

Greg Munro

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

D&J Hutchison wrote:

> I'm looking for anyone who knows where the photographers Yeoman and Co. of
> Royal Arcade had their business. The photo that I have was probably taken
> around the early 1900's.

Can you give me more info about the photo please?
- R.Yeoman was at 169 Bourke St East Melbourne 1885-1899
- Yeoman and Co. were at 139 Clarendon St South Melbourne 1882-89 (This
was John Yeoman)
- Yeoman and Co. were also at 47 Chapel St Prahran 1884-91.
- There was also a Royal Arcade run by Grouzelle and Vanheems at 57
Burke St Melbourne 1884-87

Suggest you try the book "Dating Family Photos in Australia 1850-1920" -
by Leonora Frost I think. There is also a comprehensive list of
Australian Photographers and when and where they worked in another book,
the name of which escapes me now. Ask at your local library genealogy
section.

Regards,

Greg Munro
mailto:g...@acay.com.au

Michael Saclier

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

Greg Munro wrote:
>... There is also a comprehensive list of

> Australian Photographers and when and where they worked in another book,
> the name of which escapes me now. Ask at your local library genealogy
> section.
A book called _The Mechanical Eye_ was published by the Macleay Museum
at the University of Sydney some years ago - but I can't find it at the
NLA or remember its author's name. This is probably the one you are
thinking of since it lists the early photograpers and their studios. I
also came across a reference to another book called _The Mechanical Eye
in Australia: Photography 1841-1900_ by A Davies and P Stanbury,
Melbourne 1985.

Mike Saclier
--
Michael Saclier (from home)
Visiting Fellow email: Michael...@anu.edu.au

Robyn Anne Hukin

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

hu...@ois.net.au (D&J Hutchison) wrote:

>I'm looking for anyone who knows where the photographers Yeoman and Co. of
>Royal Arcade had their business. The photo that I have was probably taken
>around the early 1900's.

>Many thanks
>Jeanette Hutchison
>hu...@ois.net.au

Jeanette,

According to "The Mechanical Eye" by Davies and Stanbury, there was a
photography business: Arthur Yeoman, 1899-1900 in Namurkahl; Charles
Yeoman (various dates from 1894-1900, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, and
Geelong, Victoria); John Yeoman and Co (Various address in Melbourne
from 1882-1900) and Richard Yeoman (1882 Emerald Hill, 1895 various
addresses in Melbourne).

Hope this helps. If you want further info please let me know.

Robyn Hukin
WA