Nam Ngum 2 hydropower plant in Laos may start operations four months earlier than scheduled

DKJ

Oct 7, 2008, 9:31:57 AM10/7/08
The Nam Ngum 2 hydropower plant in Laos may start operations four
months earlier than scheduled in an attempt to earn more income to
offset the unexpected rise in construction costs, said South East Asia
Energy Co (SEAN), the project operator.

See the latest photos from the site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nn2dam/2917218981/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nn2dam/

The overseas energy unit of Thailand's second-largest construction
firm, SET-listed Ch. Karnchang Plc, has completed 65% of the 615-
Megawatt power plant since work began in 2005.

It said the remaining work at the site would cost about 30% more than
originally estimated.

The plant's operator and the Electricity Generating Authority of
Thailand (Egat), the power buyer, had agreed on a selling price years
ago in a power purchasing agreement (PPA).

''That fixed price was definitely unable to cover spiking costs, as we
calculated at that time based on steel prices at 18 baht per
kilogramme and diesel at 18 baht per litre, but steel is now at 23.50
baht and there is no need to discuss diesel,'' said Egat governor
Sombat Santijaree.

''We are trying to make it fair for all parties, though some pacts can
be reviewed to reflect actual rising costs and some just cannot.''

Egat allowed some project operators to revise their power prices
earlier, but because the 31.6-billion-baht Nam Ngum 2 had already
secured financing from Krung Thai Bank, TMB Bank and Siam City Bank,
it is too late to review its PPA.

In an attempt to generate additional income to offset those rising
costs, SEAN has been accelerating the project's construction and
expects to start operations in August 2010, four months earlier than
planned.

Egat has agreed to buy output generated as soon as the project is
complete, Mr Sombat said.

He said power policy planners were revising the 15-year power
development plan (PDP) to match the delay of new hydropower plants in
Laos and the country's power demand, expected to drop in line with the
economy.

The projects where construction has been delayed for one year include
the hydropower plants Nam Ngiep, Nam Ngum 3, Nam Theun 1, Nam Ou and
the coal-fired Hongsa Lignite plant, with a combined output of 2,336
MW.

The existing PDP is based on economic growth and power demand
projections of 5% to 5.5% per year. Demand dropped 0.08% in the peak
summer season ending in May, but a year earlier it rose 7.23%.

dkj

ລາວພວນ ລາວຮັກຊາດ

Oct 7, 2008, 11:24:01 AM10/7/08
On Oct 7, 6:31 am, DKJ <dkj.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Nam Ngum 2 hydropower plant in Laos may start operations four
> months earlier than scheduled in an attempt to earn more income to
> offset the unexpected rise in construction costs, said South East Asia
> Energy Co (SEAN), the project operator.
>
> See the latest photos from the site:http://www.flickr.com/photos/nn2dam/2917218981/sizes/o/http://www.flickr.com/photos/nn2dam/

I thought it's only one Nam Ngum river in Laos, show us the site
location map please..

thanouxay

Oct 7, 2008, 11:52:45 AM10/7/08
Lao Phouan,
You may wish to click here to note that our Muang Phouan will be also
a great beneficiary of those hydro-dam:

http://www.poweringprogress.org/energy_sector/projected_hydropower_plants.htm

Sok di

On Oct 7, 10:24 pm, ລາວພວນ ລາວຮັກຊາດ <phet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 7, 6:31 am, DKJ <dkj.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > The Nam Ngum 2 hydropower plant in Laos may start operations four
> > months earlier than scheduled in an attempt to earn more income to
> > offset the unexpected rise in construction costs, said South East Asia
> > Energy Co (SEAN), the project operator.
>

> > See the latest photos from the site:http://www.flickr.com/photos/nn2dam/2917218981/sizes/o/http://www.fli...

> location map please..- Hide quoted text -

ລາວພວນ ລາວຮັກຊາດ

Oct 7, 2008, 6:14:43 PM10/7/08
On Oct 7, 8:52 am, thanouxay <thanou...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Lao Phouan,
> You may wish to click here to note that our Muang Phouan will be also
> a great beneficiary of those hydro-dam:
>
> http://www.poweringprogress.org/energy_sector/projected_hydropower_pl...

Thank Thanouxai, hardly to believe that our motherland
that we love became a super power country overnight…
No I didn’t mean a super power country from having
high tech or nuclear weapon, she’s a super power from
having thousand of megawatt of clean air-electricity.
Viva Laos, Viva LPDR...

laohaklao

Oct 7, 2008, 8:42:46 PM10/7/08
           ສະບາຍດີ ພີ່ນ້ອງເພື່ອນຮ່ວມຊາດ.
 Accounting side:
 (a)This  is the area where I support  PDR  government wholeheartedly.
It is good long term investment. We do the right thing. If you plug that data
into the function of  infinite series (Calculus) denoted by sigma and
let t = life time of a dam say 95 years and i = interest earning from this
investment project  say 7%
. Life time earning hypothesis (Total Social Benefit [TBS])
from these particular investments would be  IMMEASURABLE.
External benefit (non -accounting side)
 (
b) Beside we can earn money by selling this electricity to our neighbors , we can also use
water for irrigation, fish conservation, water recreation , to control flood, to promote biological
diversity just to name you a fews. This is what economist refers to as EXTERNALITIES  (cost and benefit).
 When you add (a) + (b), one  will see on the data sheet that the benefit would be outweighed the cost.
 In the final report of benefit-cost analysis, the  project would be highly recommended.
 ******************This could be one of the long term solutions to our economy. **************
To make long story short, electrical power industry  can help CONDITION our country
to speed up ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT...and ..then.................INDUSTRIALIZATION.
  Hakpeng, Laohaklao 1954 ( I am too busy watching presidential debate)....

ລາວຣັກລາວ

Oct 7, 2008, 11:02:18 PM10/7/08
On Oct 7, 7:42 pm, laohaklao <laohaklao1...@yahoo.com> wrote:

http://media.imeem.com/m/6WV_H4PB6D"

ລອງສື່ໆເດີ...

laohaklao

Oct 7, 2008, 11:13:25 PM10/7/08
ລາວຣັກລາວ wrote
                       http://media.imeem.com/m/6WV_H4PB6D"

                    Just a
test. Please, ignore it.

the Fucking Boudha

Oct 9, 2008, 3:24:47 AM10/9/08
will Lao sell electricity to Cambodia ?

n Oct 7, 8:31 pm, DKJ <dkj.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Nam Ngum 2 hydropower plant in Laos may start operations four
> months earlier than scheduled in an attempt to earn more income to
> offset the unexpected rise in construction costs, said South East Asia
> Energy Co (SEAN), the project operator.
>

> See the latest photos from the site:http://www.flickr.com/photos/nn2dam/2917218981/sizes/o/http://www.flickr.com/photos/nn2dam/

thanouxay

Oct 9, 2008, 6:03:10 PM10/9/08
Yes, the transportation along road No. 13 already reached the border
and is awaiting for the connection and agreement (PPA).
Sok dee

On Oct 9, 2:24 pm, the Fucking Boudha <voivodv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> will  Lao sell  electricity to Cambodia ?
>
> n Oct 7, 8:31 pm, DKJ <dkj.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > The Nam Ngum 2 hydropower plant in Laos may start operations four
> > months earlier than scheduled in an attempt to earn more income to
> > offset the unexpected rise in construction costs, said South East Asia
> > Energy Co (SEAN), the project operator.
>

> > See the latest photos from the site:http://www.flickr.com/photos/nn2dam/2917218981/sizes/o/http://www.fli...

> > dkj- Hide quoted text -

thanouxay