News: Heroin scandal rocks Thai military as 18 officers probed

Songwut Apirakkhit

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
[ Author was AFP ]
[ Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 1998 8:43:48 PDT ]

BANGKOK, Sept 9 (AFP) - Eighteen middle-ranking Thai military
officers are being investigated for links to an international heroin
trafficking operation, the supreme commander of Thailand's armed
forces said Wednesday.
General Mongkol Ampornpisit said the officers had been
re-admitted into the military in the past two years and the scandal,
the latest in a series to rock the Thai military, had prompted him
to order that all recently re-admitted officers have their
backgrounds checked.
"I have submitted the names of all re-admitted officers for the
last two years to have their criminal backgrounds checked with the
police," General Mongkol told reporters, without elaborating on the
heroin trafficking allegations.
He said he hoped the move to vet officers would help contain one
of the biggest scandals to hit the Thai military establishment in
many years.
The revelation of the heroin investigation follows another
scandal involving an army captain at the centre of a murder probe,
who had previously served a jail term in Australia for drug
trafficking.
Mongkol conceded the military had been lax when re-admitting
Captain Patchara Prompao into the armed forces after he was fired
twice and convicted of narcotics trafficking.
Patchara is now in detention awaiting trial in a civilian court
after he surrendered to police on Monday to face charges that he
raped and then beat a male academic to death.
In June, amid a drive was to make the armed forces more
accountable, the government demanded the military disclose the
contents of secret bank accounts they had been allowed to keep.
Earlier this year the armed forces were accused by opposition
politicians of involvement in vast illegal logging operations in
northern Thailand.

--
Quote of 09/09/98: Every successful person has had failures but repeated failure is no guarantee of eventual success.

Johpa

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
Recently posted:

>Mongkol conceded the military had been lax when re-admitting
>Captain Patchara Prompao into the armed forces after he was fired
>twice and convicted of narcotics trafficking.
> Patchara is now in detention awaiting trial in a civilian court
>after he surrendered to police on Monday to face charges that he
>raped and then beat a male

Anyone know if this Capt. Patchara is yet another shining graduate of the Thai
University for Advanced Criminal Behavior alos known as Chulachomklao?

Johpa

Message has been deleted

John B. Slocomb

Sep 2, 2019, 6:39:09 PM9/2/19
On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 22:10:38 +1000, Henry Briggs <HJBr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 1/9/19 4:50 pm, patn...@outlook.com wrote:
>>  "I have submitted the names of all re-admitted officers for the
>> last two years to have their criminal backgrounds checked with the
>> police," General Mongkol told reporters, without elaborating on the
>> heroin trafficking allegations.
>

>LOL
>
>Best drugs and guns in Thailand - just see the boys in brown!

Out of curiosity do you make these "news blurbs" up? Your reference
indicates that you are quoting a news agency post of "BANGKOK, Sept 9
(AFP)" but a check of the Agence France-Presse (AFP) postings didn't
show any such news item..

But than, I suppose that AFP on the date line is more dignified than
"ITAL" (I told a lie ) :-)

--

Cheers,

John B.

Patnida Official

Sep 3, 2019, 8:14:36 AM9/3/19
I heard his news about heroin by myself in 1993. This is the true story that has already happened. Thammanat Prompao must accept the consequences of his past actions.
Thammanat was name Manat Bophlom in 1993. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/34047701/the_sydney_morning_herald/

John B.

Sep 3, 2019, 6:46:32 PM9/3/19
Yes, there are a great many things that have happened.

Thailand, for example, once selected a know dope dealer as prime
minister. A previous P.M. encouraged the Thai Government to sell a
very valuable piece of property to his wife (documents published in
the Bangkok Post - front page)

History it is called.
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

Sep 3, 2019, 7:01:04 PM9/3/19
On Tue, 3 Sep 2019 05:14:34 -0700 (PDT), Patnida Official
<Pat...@hotmail.com> wrote:

So, the question is, was he convicted?

I believe that under the remnants of English Common Law one is still
considered innocent until proven guilty... in a court of law not by
innuendo :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

Sep 3, 2019, 11:45:59 PM9/3/19
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 12:02:39 +1000, Henry Briggs <HJBr...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>That story wasn ot posted by me, John

I see. You made it up your self?
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

Sep 4, 2019, 12:05:14 AM9/4/19
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 12:03:49 +1000, Henry Briggs <HJBr...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Thai law John is corrupt. Forget English precedents.

Ah, but the story seems to about the appearance in court of four
lads, two Australian and two Thais. The court remanded the four until
"27 May", and there the story stops.

So what are you claiming? That the Australian court was corrupt?

That somehow, the Thai Courts, who apparently from the posted
reference, weren't involved at all, are also corrupt.

The reference seems to be a "clipping" from the April 16 1993 issue of
The Sidney Morning Herald.

Did, somehow, Thai Courts, become corrupted at long distance from
this single quote from a newspaper some 7,500 km away?
--
cheers,

John B.

Patnida Official

Sep 4, 2019, 9:44:40 AM9/4/19
I am a friend of his friend. I knew that the Royal Thai Army had helped him.

Schweik

Sep 4, 2019, 6:18:50 PM9/4/19
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 06:44:39 -0700 (PDT), Patnida Official
<Pat...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am a friend of his friend. I knew that the Royal Thai Army had helped him.

And I knew a guy that was cousin to a fellow who was sitting in a bar
on Sukumvit Rd. that said that the guy on the next stool said that it
was the Thai Navy that did it.
--
Cheers,

Schweik

John B.

Sep 4, 2019, 9:05:51 PM9/4/19
On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 10:18:38 +1000, Henry Briggs <HJBr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 4/9/19 1:45 pm, John B. wrote:
>> I see. You made it up your self?
>

>No.
>
>I didn't post the original story. Hard to get this through your head?
>
>Typing this really slowly so you can understand.
>
>And when you understand also how NNTP works, come back then?

NNTP?

Well I looked it up
https://www.allacronyms.com/NNPT
and apparently that it means "Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty"
I do believe that Thailand was a signature to the treaty... although
frankly I can't see the association of the NNPT and corruption in
Thailand. Unless, of course you are arguing that there was corruption
in Thailand signing the treaty.

Or maybe you just made something it up and called it NNPT. You very
own acronym to clutch to your heart .
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

Sep 5, 2019, 7:21:40 PM9/5/19
On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 18:41:44 +1000, Henry Briggs <HJBr...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Very inept of you John.
>
>First thing that comes up in Google
>https://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/NNTP
>
>Nice troll, or are you just plain stupid? Rhetorical question.

Ah Henry, you and the other computer nerds came along in about 1986
and wrote a news protocol and called it NNTP....

Apparent not knowing that the "term" was already in use by the Treaty
on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons and had been for some 20
years.

And now you claim it as your own? And slander others who don't know
about your Johnny-come-lately scheme?

Pitiful.
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

Sep 5, 2019, 7:23:02 PM9/5/19
On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 05:47:54 +1000, Henry Briggs <HJBr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 5/9/19 6:41 pm, Henry Briggs wrote:
>> On 5/9/19 11:05 am, John B. wrote:
>> Very inept of you John.
>>
>> First thing that comes up in Google
>> https://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/NNTP
>>
>> Nice troll, or are you just plain stupid?  Rhetorical question.
>
>LOL waiting John! <sound of crickets>

Over eager? Just can't wait?

See my reply before getting too excited.
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

Sep 7, 2019, 11:35:19 PM9/7/19
I see, as I pointed out above NNTP seems to have been used as an
acronym for "Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty" which if my sources are
correct was Opened for signature in 1968.

Then some computer nerds came along 18 years later and hi-jacked the
term and now it belongs to them?

So, apparently computer nerds don't know history, and are deemed to
repeat it, or perhaps will simply be viewed as the poorly educated
nerfs that they obviously are.)

So keep insisting, "NO! it is mine, It is Mine, It is Mine, and you
can't play in my sandbox any more!

A pity how the western education systems have
deteriorate in recent years.

John B.

Sep 8, 2019, 1:02:07 AM9/8/19
On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 12:18:29 +1000, Henry Briggs <HJBr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 6/9/19 9:21 am, John B. wrote:
>> And now you claim it as your own?
>
>LOL. Nice troll!

Ah Henry, I must confess to a small charade.

You see the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons was
never referred to as the NNPT.... it was referred to as the "NPT" and
every reference I find referring to the treaty clearly states that.

You see when one "meets" another on the Internet it is, perhaps, a bit
difficult to determine whether one is communicating with a normal
individual, or some perverted little twerp. So I usually propose some
slightly obscure example to try and determine whether my opposite is
an individual who actually tries to determine the truth of the matter
under discussion or just makes some grandiose statement in an
attempt, one might say, to overcome the opposition with bull shit (as
it were).

And you failed.

And your defense, rather than factual statements to prove your point,
is simply the cry "troll, troll".

Rather like the 3rd grader crying "They are MINE, MINE." "You can't
play with my toys!" "You can't play in my sand box!".

And you, with your so very obvious lack of knowledge are going to
educate us about the corruption in Thailand"?

Pitiful!
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

Sep 9, 2019, 2:37:46 AM9/9/19
On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 16:05:46 +1000, Henry Briggs <HJBr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 8/9/19 3:02 pm, John B. wrote:
>> And you, with your so very obvious lack of knowledge are going to
>> educate us about the corruption in Thailand"?
>

>John Boy
>
>Been on both sides of the fence in Thailand for nearly two decades; now
>thankfully out of the shithole; well qualified to what I have seen,
>seen documented, proven, etc.
>
>But if you are blinded by Thai pussy, good luck; to each his own.
>
>BTW just interested. In your opinion, no corruption in Thailand? If
>there is, to what extent?

Hardly. No, I haven't said that there was no corruption in Thailand,
or Australia, or the U.S. or anywhere else as it certainly does exist,
and based solely on my experience it exists everywhere.

To date I've lived in Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, Cambodia (short term),
Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia and the Good Old USA. And, strange as
it may seem to you I've found corruption in everyone of those
countries. And I would point out that corruption in the U.S. probably
out values, in dollar terms, any two or three, or maybe four,
countries in S.E.A.

So why single out Thailand? And why did you spend 20 years in a
country that you describe as a shithole (well unless you are a turd,
of course :-). Why not just get up on your hind legs and leave? Were
you in prison? Couldn't leave?

But, I suppose that this is your shtick. You are not much of an expert
on anything so you rant and rave about corruption. Oh! Look at me.
Look at me. (see, he reads the newspaper)

As I previously said, pitiful.
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

Sep 9, 2019, 6:34:30 PM9/9/19
On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 04:43:09 +1000, Henry Briggs <HJBr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 9/9/19 4:37 pm, John B. wrote:
>> And why did you spend 20 years in a
>> country that you describe as a shithole
>

>Well paid job etc.

And you couldn't get another job in a, to you, nicer place?

I find that strange as since I retired from the USAF, in 1972, I've
never had a problem finding a job, and (perhaps it was the economy)
but every one was at a higher salary than the previous. In fact I even
had folks "head hunting" me. A company in Bangkok contacted me while I
was on leave one year about managing their section that bid contracts
to the Thai Government (I think).

When I started asking about housing allowances and transportation
allowances, etc. I thought that they were rather reticent and I
finally got one of the so called "managers" to tell me what his base
salary was... I hadn't worked that cheap in ten years.

My supposition from that episode was that salaries in Thailand were
substantially lower than what I was used to in the oil business in
Indonesia. Certainly low enough that I would never take a job in the
Kingdom.

--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

Sep 9, 2019, 9:35:42 PM9/9/19
On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 10:33:37 +1000, Henry Briggs <HJBr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 10/9/19 8:34 am, John B. wrote:
>> And you couldn't get another job in a, to you, nicer place?
>

>You di tend to assume things John.

Not so, I read what you write and comment on it. You said that you
lived for two decades in a shithole and I asked you why and you said
because you had a well paying job, or words to that extent.

I than commented that I had looked at a job in Thailand and it paid
something like the salary I had received ten years earlier.

Then I asked you why you couldn't get a job somewhere that you
preferred over Thailand and you say I assume things"?

So what did I assume? I admit that I did assume that you were telling
the truth, but other than that....

But maybe I was wrong.
--
cheers,