Warning - Travel to and in Cambodia

1 view

Robert White

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
the following was posted on the Lonely Planet site at
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/seamain/xtt.htm

This is the second post on this topic on TT from this source.
Probably means they had to again loan money to some Aussie who
met a local with an AK. I feel sure few of you will be running
out to get your medical evacuation insurance but don't laugh the
rest of it off.
IN PARTICULAR, take the boat Siem Reap-PP, the road ain't safe.
Hope to see you there next month.

--------------------------------
Travel to and in Cambodia
This topic was created by Robyn Preston, Consular Officer,
Australian Embassy, Phnom Penh (robyn....@dfat.gov.au)
[Fri 12 March, 16:05 Tasmanian Standard Time]

While travel in Cambodia is always fascinating and usually
rewarding, there remain various safety and health concerns which
travellers should take into account.
It is strongly recommended by the Australian Department of
Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) that travellers take out
comprehensive travel insurance (including the provision for
medical evacuation) before travelling to Cambodia. On arrival in
Cambodia travellers are urged to register with their Embassies in
Phnom Penh.
One-month tourist visas are available at Cambodian embassies or
at the Pochentong International airport, Phnom Penh. Visa
applicants require three passport-size photos and sufficient
clear passport pages (at least two) for the visa stamp.
DFAT strongly advises against crossing the Arrayaprathet-Poipet
border between Cambodia and Thailand. The north-west of Cambodia
is still a volatile, isolated area where there are undisciplined
military forces and groups of armed bandits. The Australian
Embassy, Phnom Penh has had several reports of foreigners being
robbed whilst travelling from the border to Siem Reap (Angkor
Wat) by taxi. Shooting incidents are not uncommon in Sisphon town
(on the route to Siem Reap).
Entry to Cambodia from Thailand throughthe port of Koh Kong is
possible but is also not recommended due to the uncertainty of
safe onwards travel to Sihanoukville or Phnom Penh. Air travel
direct to Phnom Penh or Siem Reap remains the best method or
entering the country.
Travel by river in fast, modern vessels between Phnom Pneh and
Siem Reap is possible. However, travellers should be aware that
the boats may not be fitted with safety equipment for passengers;
boat travel in stormy weather conditions can be unpleasant, if
not dangerous and is not recommended. The journey between Phnom
Penh and Siem Reap should not be undertaken by road in any
circumstances.
Attacks on trains by armed groups have occurred very recently
and travel by rail should not be undertaken in any circumstances.
Travel between Phnom Penh adn Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam by us
orTaxi is only advisable in daylight hours (ie between 06.00am
and 16.30pm). Travellers wishng to undertake this journey should
have th correct entry and exit visas for Vietnam and Cambodia.
The Australian Embassy, Phnom Penh provides consular assistance
to Canadians under the Consular Sharing Agreement.

Robert
Richly Travel Centre Next to the Train Station! - Bangkok
http://login.samart.co.th/~richly/

Lumier

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:03:21 +0700, "Robert White"
<ric...@samart.co.th> wrote:

>the following was posted on the Lonely Planet site at
>http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/seamain/xtt.htm
>
>This is the second post on this topic on TT from this source.
>Probably means they had to again loan money to some Aussie who
>met a local with an AK. I feel sure few of you will be running
>out to get your medical evacuation insurance but don't laugh the
>rest of it off.
> IN PARTICULAR, take the boat Siem Reap-PP, the road ain't safe.
> Hope to see you there next month.

Thanks Rob you have just made my day!.

My last job I was responsible for my companies back-up services in
Thailand and Vietnam. I take up a new post at the end of this month
and have been given five countries to provide back-up services to.
Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Burma and Cambodia,

Any words of wisdom on Laos and Burma???

Lumier

Robert White

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
Lumier wrote

>Any words of wisdom on Laos and Burma???

Lao has been very quiet, only one report of the police setting up
some opium smokers for a fine and no violence reported or
rumored.
Burma seems safe although the army/police will try extortion if
they
think they can get away with it.

Several good reports on Cambodia, too, main thing is armed
robbery in
the capital at night and on some roads. Lots of people are going
through
safely but you Do have to be aware hot spots. Check with your
hotel in
PP they should know.
Rob

Robert White

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
A bit more on Cambodia.
This is forwarded from Georges at Flamingo Travel in Phnom Penh
who seems to be the only one with email - flam...@mabacom.com
and he says a website is coming.
---------------
Some advices from the Australian Embassy in Phnom Penh seem
useful (comprehensive travel insurance), but I would like to give
some information about the entry to Cambodia from Thailand
through
the port of Koh Kong. The consular officer lacks information when
he writes "uncertainty of safe onwards travel".
1- The speed boat service from Koh Kong to Sihanoukville has
existed for 5 Years. It's a daily service for Cambodian people
because the sea is the only way to get to Koh Kong. 2 speedboats
leave Koh Kong daily: one for Sihanoukville and one for Sre
Ambel. So thousands
of journeys occurred already. We never deplored any incident.
2- The company is a Malaysian one, the capitaine is a Malaysian
one. I guess he doesn't want to lose his boat in the sea or to
have any trouble, so he manages his business with wisdom. Last
september, I stayed one full day in Koh Kong because it was
impossible to
travel due to the storm. The capitaine did not try to go. If the
boat leave the port, it means thet it's 100% safe.The boats on
the sea are 10 times better than the boat from PP to Siem Reap.
3- Last year I was the only foreigner to travel via Koh Kong, now
we are 20 every day. Ask them. I did the journey every two weeks
and I still enjoy it. It's very comfortable.
4- Since 2 weeks, the company bought 2 new speed boats. The seats
are very comfortable and the porthole convenient to have a nice
view on the deserted islands.
5- From Sihanoukville to PP, since the road is the new one made
by the US in 1994 we never deplored any incident.
6- Travelling from Sihanoukville to PP is very cheap and
convenient (bus or collective taxi).

Please note:
Cambodian visas are not available at this border (open from 7 am
to 5 pm).
From the border to Koh Kong, you have to take a taxi (10 minutes,
30 Baht)
then a tiny boat shuttle (2 minutes, 30 Bahts).
It's very easy to sleep overnight in Koh Kong (150 Bt with fan,
250 Bt with AC).
IT'S POSSIBLE TO HAVE A NICE MEAL IN Koh Kong (I often heard the
opposite):
the Thai restaurant close from the Independance monument (Koh
Kong Kitchen).
As usual in Cambodia, choose the fish and not the chicken.
I have organized the trip for the people who need help for $50
but you can also do it yourself.
Cheers,
Georges
--------------
Rob

Robert White

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
Lumier,
your loxley email bounced twice.
I have some more stuff you may find useful.
Rob

Lumier

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99

I have sent you my Email address.

Thanks

Lumier

jo426ho...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
In article <7ci9sr$4gh$2...@chatta.samart.co.th>,

"Robert White" <ric...@samart.co.th> wrote:
> Lumier,
> your loxley email bounced twice.
> I have some more stuff you may find useful.
> Rob
>
> rob hope you get this. am interested in any info about safty in cambodia
esspecially info on badtambang.email me to confirm contact.