cafe des philosophes

Srikanth Bandi

Feb 18, 1994, 3:01:26 AM2/18/94

Somebody told me that 'cafe des philosophes' in Lausanne is
so named because philosophers of Enlightenment used to visit
this place. Who were these philosophers? I know Voltaire
lived in Switzerland (I think a place called Ferney) almost
till his last days, but it appears unlikely that he could have
come to Lausanne for a cup of coffee. Rousseau might have
visited since he was from Geneva and wandered here and there.
But otherwise much of philosophical action took place in France.
So I am just curious about historicity of this place.

-Srikanth

Olivier BYRDE

Feb 18, 1994, 7:41:38 AM2/18/94
In article <2k1skm$k...@disun1.epfl.ch>, ba...@di.epfl.ch (Srikanth Bandi) writes:
|> Somebody told me that 'cafe des philosophes' in Lausanne is
|> so named because philosophers of Enlightenment used to visit
|> this place. [stuff deleted]

Ha ha ha... Now it is called "Ma~nana" and they serve expensive Mexican food and
drinks!

Olivier

Sandra Hilber

Feb 18, 1994, 8:44:01 AM2/18/94

--
from hil...@uni2a.unige.ch
No clue about the philosopher customers but one thig is sure: ferney is in

jean...@watson.ibm.com

Feb 18, 1994, 10:17:47 AM2/18/94

Marc Duvivier

Feb 18, 1994, 1:30:17 PM2/18/94
I don't know the one in Lausanne, but there is a wonderful cafe by
that name in Geneve which has the best steak tartare I've had. Could
that be it?

marc

In article <2k1skm$k...@disun1.epfl.ch>, ba...@di.epfl.ch (Srikanth Bandi) writes:

--
Marc Duvivier
Morgan Stanley
du...@is.morgan.com

Florence Adam

Feb 18, 1994, 6:54:21 PM2/18/94
Le cafŽ des philosophes est devenu le Ma~nana et le bar Cactus au sous-sol
!! Ah, la place PŽpinet É These are all the things one misses when far from
it, none of that here in Chicago (other cool things though!!!).

C'est marrant d'entendre parler des endroits que je connais (je suis de
Lausanne), il me tarde de rentrer en Suisse pour dŽguster une bonne vraie
fondue, de la viande sŽchŽe, ou une crožte au fromage É

Florence
flo...@merle.acns.nwu.edu

Felix Vagabond

Feb 20, 1994, 2:55:35 PM2/20/94
Olivier BYRDE (by...@imhfhp32.epfl.ch) wrote:

: Olivier

Olivier,
Is this for real?
I have not been there for long time, and I wonder what become of Chez
Mario, Nelson, and all the nice place at Ave de Ouchy, and near rue de ?
I forgot what is called!
Oh how sad when you have been living for too long far away from home!
Things don't change, but also disappear as well.
They become living memory, and from time to time I take trip in my mind
and wonder what become of my places, things, roads, little villages, and
most of all the state of mind.
Today I recall the long ride from Luasanne to Bern every single day, to
study in Bern and live in Ouchy.
Just wondering! This is Sunday and nothing else but to relax and read,
and imagine, what yesterday was like.
I guess I'm Homesick.
Sorry for this trouble.
Ciao.--
( No memorial can ever exhibit or impart the holocaust of SIX MILLION Jews)

VIGILANS.ET AUDAX.SEMPER PARATUS.

Yvan Dufour

Feb 20, 1994, 4:53:34 PM2/20/94
Je pene que le cafe de Philosophes n'est pas si vieux. Je me souviens que dans les annees 60, il restait ouvert tres tard ce qui nous permettait de finir nos parties "au Philosophes". Si je me souviens bien, la specialite de la maison etait une eau-de-vie servie dans une bouteille qui contenait une vipere preservee dans l'alcol....

Yvan Dufour CSIRO MArine LAbs
duf...@ml.csiro.au Hobart, Australia

Richard Parratt

Feb 21, 1994, 10:06:41 AM2/21/94

And was the "Treissiemme Siecle" (excuse my spelling) a famous nightclub during the 13th century.

Richard Parratt

Boris Borcic

Feb 23, 1994, 9:42:14 AM2/23/94
In article <hilber-18...@129.194.43.35>, hil...@uni2a.unige.ch
(Sandra Hilber) wrote:

> No clue about the philosopher customers but one thig is sure: ferney is in
> France although it is a border town to Geneva

Further bit: although Voltaire did live in Ferney for sure, he also
stayed in Geneva. His former house is now a museum (happens to be just
under my windows) and gave its name to the street - "Les Delices".

Boris