Vichy Catalan in the UK?

Axel

Aug 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/3/98
Is there where I can buy Vichy Catalan in the UK.

andy roberts

Aug 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/3/98
ax...@dialup.white-eagle.co.uk (Axel) posted to uk.food+drink.misc :

>Is there where I can buy Vichy Catalan in the UK.

Is it water? Someone wanted to know why Vichy bottled water was no
longer available and I noticed some at the weekend in Sainsbury,
Ilford. My favourite is Badoit which also disappears from the shelves
quite frequently, but you could probably make up your own Vichy water
using Thames tap water and soap :)

I stopped in Vichy once, dreadful place full of ill people with piped
music in the streets.

Andy R
--
For earlier replies mail me at andyrobts AT zetnet d0t co d0t uk.

Axel

Aug 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/4/98
andy roberts (andy...@aol.com) wrote:
: >Is there where I can buy Vichy Catalan in the UK.

: Is it water? Someone wanted to know why Vichy bottled water was no

Yes.

: longer available and I noticed some at the weekend in Sainsbury,

: Ilford. My favourite is Badoit which also disappears from the shelves
: quite frequently, but you could probably make up your own Vichy water
: using Thames tap water and soap :)

: I stopped in Vichy once, dreadful place full of ill people with piped
: music in the streets.

Do you attribute their plight to the piped music or the water?

andy roberts

Aug 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/4/98
ax...@dialup.white-eagle.co.uk (Axel) posted to uk.food+drink.misc :

>: I stopped in Vichy once, dreadful place full of ill people with piped

>: music in the streets.
>
>Do you attribute their plight to the piped music or the water?

To be serious, it's an awful exploitation racket that seems to happen
all over the catholic world. Somebody in an otherwise dead-end town
wonders how to drum up more trade and invents a story about seeing an
apparition or a miracule cure after bathing in the water and then
millions of superstitious or desperate people make pilgimages there.
All sorts of service industries then spring up and rely on
perpetuating the original myth. Other examples I have passed through
are Fatima in Portugal and Knock in Ireland.
I expect the tea shops in Mecca do pretty well too.
Similar tourism ploys also exist that have nothing to do with
religion, such as the longest place name in Wales, Cornish Cider
and , um , well I expect you can think of some yourelves.

Axel

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
:>And a good draught of Cornish (or Somerset) Cider on a hot summers day must be
:>one of the nearest things to heaven we're likely to see this side of the
:>tribulation!

: Very much on topic for uk.food+drink.misc, ( The original question
: about Vichy water was X-posted to soc.culture.spanish for some reason)

Because Vichy Catalan comes frfom Catalonia, Spain - someone there might
have known about a UK source.

: I like good draught cider very much, when I can find it. Westons of
: Much Markle seem to be the only people who distribute the genuine

I quite like cider, especially in the hot weather. I have never seen
this make - is it restricted to the West country?

A lot of bars in Madrid serve draught cider, which is not the case in
Barcelona - although it is possible to find a couple of bars which serve
very good bottled cider (bottled like wine rather than the usual UK
crap).

andy roberts

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
ax...@dialup.white-eagle.co.uk (Axel) posted to uk.food+drink.misc :

>Because Vichy Catalan comes frfom Catalonia, Spain -

I see, or at least I think I do, if it's Catalan water then does it
have anything at all to do with Vichy , France?

>: I like good draught cider very much, when I can find it. Westons of
>: Much Markle seem to be the only people who distribute the genuine
>
>I quite like cider, especially in the hot weather. I have never seen
>this make - is it restricted to the West country?

No, it can be found in some supermarkets and pubs in London at least.
Most JD Wetherspoons have the bottles and some have draught "Old
Rosie" , the finest . Tesco had the flaggons on special offer last
week.

>A lot of bars in Madrid serve draught cider, which is not the case in
>Barcelona - although it is possible to find a couple of bars which serve
>very good bottled cider (bottled like wine rather than the usual UK
>crap).

I've never seen this in Spain, but then I've never been to Madrid. I
did try quite a bit of Normandy Cider, Perry and Calvados but never
aquired the taste for it.

Axel

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
andy roberts (andy...@aol.com) wrote:
: I've never seen this in Spain, but then I've never been to Madrid. I

: did try quite a bit of Normandy Cider, Perry and Calvados but never
: aquired the taste for it.

Yes, calvados can be a rather harsh drink. Have you tried German
Apfelkorn - it's not as strong as calvados and has a very apple-like
taste.

Andrew Marshall

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
In article <tv0pq6...@dialup.white-eagle.co.uk>, Axel
<ax...@dialup.white-eagle.co.uk> writes

Somerset Cider Brandy Co's 'Kingston Black Apple Aperitif' (Somerset
cider brandy mixed with KB apple juice to 18%vol., rather as the French
make Pineau des Charentes by mixing cognac with grape juice) is IMHO
also well worth a try. For Apfelkorn, the local Lidl sells 'Apfel mit
Weizenkorn' (20% vol.) which I find quite pleasant.

Regards,
Andrew.
--
Andrew Marshall.
Unsolicited advertising matter unwelcome. Offenders may be blacklisted.

Dave Atkinson

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
In article <jjgmq6...@dialup.white-eagle.co.uk>,
Axel <ax...@dialup.white-eagle.co.uk> writes

>A lot of bars in Madrid serve draught cider, which is not the case in
>Barcelona - although it is possible to find a couple of bars which serve
>very good bottled cider (bottled like wine rather than the usual UK
>crap).

I'm off to Ibiza in September - will I have much trouble getting cider
in the bars there? How about Apple Schnapps?

Please replace "nospam" with "kynson" when replying
--
Dave Atkinson E-Mail : rec...@kynson.demon.co.uk
WWW : http://www.kynson.demon.co.uk/recipes/

Axel

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Dave Atkinson (rec...@nospam.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: I'm off to Ibiza in September - will I have much trouble getting cider

: in the bars there? How about Apple Schnapps?

Never been there so don't know about cider in bars. There is probably a
fairly good chance of finding Apple Schnapps in a supermarket or
similar. Also in a bar, especially if it is a German theme bar.

Dave Atkinson

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <gl9rr6...@dialup.white-eagle.co.uk>,
Axel <ax...@dialup.white-eagle.co.uk> writes

Thanks - I have never been able to get Apfelkorn in the UK so I may well
bring back a case and declare it. It would be worth it to get my hands
on a year's supply :)

Andrew Marshall

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <PJjmBLA5...@kynson.demon.co.uk>, Dave Atkinson
<rec...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>Thanks - I have never been able to get Apfelkorn in the UK

My local Lidl store sells 'Apfel mit Weizenkorn' apple schnapps (20%
vol).

Regards.

FDomi10178

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
SI QUIERES VENDER ALGO, BUSCA OTRO SITIO.
FERNANDO

Dave Atkinson

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <XTLFqAA2...@g8bur.demon.co.uk>,
Andrew Marshall <and...@g8bur.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <PJjmBLA5...@kynson.demon.co.uk>, Dave Atkinson
><rec...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>>
>>Thanks - I have never been able to get Apfelkorn in the UK
>
>My local Lidl store sells 'Apfel mit Weizenkorn' apple schnapps (20%
>vol).

Really? Where at?

Andrew Marshall

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <h9KtcRAe...@kynson.demon.co.uk>, Dave Atkinson

<rec...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>In article <XTLFqAA2...@g8bur.demon.co.uk>,
>Andrew Marshall <and...@g8bur.demon.co.uk> writes
>
>>In article <PJjmBLA5...@kynson.demon.co.uk>, Dave Atkinson
>><rec...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>
>>>Thanks - I have never been able to get Apfelkorn in the UK
>>
>>My local Lidl store sells 'Apfel mit Weizenkorn' apple schnapps (20%
>>vol).
>Really? Where at?

Welwyn Garden City. If I remember, I'll nip in there tomorrow evening
and check that they still stock it - they did a couple of months ago -
and maybe buy a bottle - I do like a drop myself occasionally.

Regards,

Axel

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Dave Atkinson (rec...@nospam.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Thanks - I have never been able to get Apfelkorn in the UK so I may well

: bring back a case and declare it. It would be worth it to get my hands
: on a year's supply :)

If you buy it in Spain (and I am assuming that Ibiza is not one of those
funny tax free places like the Canaries) you won't need to declare it at
customs as long as it's for you own personal use. The guidelines say 10
litres, above which you would have to justify the amount you are
bringing in, but in practice you will be limited by the amount you can
carry - assuming you are travelling by air.

Dave Atkinson

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <duktr6...@dialup.white-eagle.co.uk>,
Axel <ax...@dialup.white-eagle.co.uk> writes

10 litres? wow, I'd never read the liquor section, I knew beer was
"unlimited", but I thought there was still a 1 or 2 litre limit on
spirits.

Axel

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Dave Atkinson (rec...@nospam.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: 10 litres? wow, I'd never read the liquor section, I knew beer was

: "unlimited", but I thought there was still a 1 or 2 litre limit on
: spirits.

And 90 bottles of wine (as long as tax has been paid on them somewhere
in the EU).

venkatsri...@googlemail.com

May 1, 2017, 6:53:08 AM5/1/17
On Monday, August 3, 1998 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Axel wrote:
> Is there where I can buy Vichy Catalan in the UK.

No luck finding that Vichy then?

Peter Jones

Nov 8, 2021, 12:19:55 PM11/8/21
Darling you were replying to a thread nearly 20 years old