Rub - dol!

Yevgeny (Gene) Kilman

May 31, 1993, 11:42:30 AM5/31/93
$1 = 1024 rub! ( but the phone call is 15 kop. ... )

Y.K.

cs461139

Jun 1, 1993, 9:59:28 AM6/1/93
In article <C7wEA...@fiu.edu> kilm...@fiu.edu (Yevgeny (Gene) Kilman) writes:
>$1 = 1024 rub! ( but the phone call is 15 kop. ... )
>
>Y.K.

Finally it's going to be easy to recalculate the russian money using
simple computer terms: $1 = 1024 rub = 1 Krub, $1,000 = 1 Mrub, etc.
I got really tired of dividing by 960.

Zak.

Olli-Jukka Paloneva Tkkk

Jun 1, 1993, 11:44:23 AM6/1/93
In <1ufnc0...@umbc4.umbc.edu> cs46...@umbc.edu writes:

Does anybody knows the exchange ratio between Ukrainian coupon and R Rouble?

Olli-Jukka>

Yury Smirnov

Jun 1, 1993, 3:42:09 PM6/1/93
In article <1993Jun1.1...@abo.fi>, OPAL...@FINABO.ABO.FI (Olli-Jukka Paloneva Tkkk) writes:

|> > Finally it's going to be easy to recalculate the russian money using
|> > simple computer terms: $1 = 1024 rub = 1 Krub, $1,000 = 1 Mrub, etc.
|> > I got really tired of dividing by 960.
|> >
|> > Zak.

Dear Zak,
Pretty soon you'll be tired of deviding it by something like 1765 or
even 2345, but be courageous, don't shirk of arithmetic difficulties.
As forecased $1 soon will be equal to a kilo of roubles.

|> Does anybody knows the exchange ratio between Ukrainian coupon and R Rouble?

The last rate was $1 = 3000 Ukr.coupons. You can guess the ratio of rouble to
coupon. The market price of one kilo of cherries is 35,000 coupons which is
comparable with a month salary.

|> Olli-Jukka>

Yury S.

cs461139

Jun 1, 1993, 4:37:55 PM6/1/93
In article <C7yK2B...@cs.cmu.edu> sm...@CS.CMU.EDU (Yury Smirnov) writes:
> Dear Zak,
> Pretty soon you'll be tired of deviding it by something like 1765 or
> even 2345, but be courageous, don't shirk of arithmetic difficulties.
> As forecased $1 soon will be equal to a kilo of roubles.

Yeah, I know, it reminds me of an old joke:

Q. What's the correspondence between a pound, a dollar, and a ruble?
A. A pound of rubles is worth a dollar.

The scary thing about it is the fact that I've heard this joke when the ratio
was still 1:6 (about 10 years ago).

> The last rate was $1 = 3000 Ukr.coupons. You can guess the ratio of rouble to
> coupon. The market price of one kilo of cherries is 35,000 coupons which is
> comparable with a month salary.

I think this is a little outdated also. But then - maybe not. Anyway,
based on what I hear, there's no real need to exchange dollars for coupons,
because people of Ukraine like american money just fine.

Dmitri Galter

Jun 1, 1993, 4:55:06 PM6/1/93
In article <1993Jun1.1...@abo.fi>, OPAL...@FINABO.ABO.FI (Olli-Jukka Paloneva Tkkk) writes:
> In <1ufnc0...@umbc4.umbc.edu> cs46...@umbc.edu writes:
>
> Does anybody knows the exchange ratio between Ukrainian coupon and R Rouble?
>

> Olli-Jukka>

According to the recent TV news reports it is about 1 to 3 in favor
of the ruble, i.e $1 = 3000 Ukr. coupons. (CTV News, few days ago).

Dmitri.

Olli-Jukka Paloneva Tkkk

Jun 1, 1993, 6:18:49 PM6/1/93
In <1ugen3...@umbc4.umbc.edu> cs46...@umbc.edu writes:

> In article <C7yK2B...@cs.cmu.edu> sm...@CS.CMU.EDU (Yury Smirnov) writes:
> > Dear Zak,
> > Pretty soon you'll be tired of deviding it by something like 1765 or
> > even 2345, but be courageous, don't shirk of arithmetic difficulties.
> > As forecased $1 soon will be equal to a kilo of roubles.
>
> Yeah, I know, it reminds me of an old joke:
>
> Q. What's the correspondence between a pound, a dollar, and a ruble?
> A. A pound of rubles is worth a dollar.
>
> The scary thing about it is the fact that I've heard this joke when the ratio
> was still 1:6 (about 10 years ago).

In the late October 1988 the ratio was 1:6 (1:5.5 - 1:6) in December it
skyrocketed into 1:8 and in spring 1989 it was something like 1:11. In
the Golden days of Brezhnev the rate was stabile 1:4.

Illegal holdings of more than USD 150 meant 5 years in prison
> 1500 8

Olli-Jukka Paloneva

PS. Also Pshznaja vodka used to be of good quality, made of US
imported wheat.

ro...@renews.relcom.msk.su

Jun 1, 1993, 6:20:06 PM6/1/93
wrote:

>$1 = 1024 rub! ( but the phone call is 15 kop. ... )
Heh!
Phone call is 1 roub...
V.Sh.

Greg Landsberg

Jun 1, 1993, 11:32:18 PM6/1/93
In <C7wEA...@fiu.edu> kilm...@fiu.edu writes:

> $1 = 1024 rub! ( but the phone call is 15 kop. ... )
>
> Y.K.

Looks like they finally were clever enough to express it in binary system.
Next will be 2048.

Greg

Bohdan Rekshynskyj

Jun 2, 1993, 10:02:11 AM6/2/93
Greetings, June 2nd, 1993

Currently, the Russian ruble is approx 1024 to a dollar.
The Ukrainian Karbovanets is 3000 to a dollar.
Ergo, the ratio has declined to approx. 1:3

Regards,

Bohdan Petro Rekshynskyj

Michael Ratner

Jun 2, 1993, 6:21:30 PM6/2/93
In article <1ugen3...@umbc4.umbc.edu> cs46...@umbc.edu (cs461139) writes:
>In article <C7yK2B...@cs.cmu.edu> sm...@CS.CMU.EDU (Yury Smirnov) writes:
>> Dear Zak,
>> Pretty soon you'll be tired of deviding it by something like 1765 or
>> even 2345, but be courageous, don't shirk of arithmetic difficulties.
>> As forecased $1 soon will be equal to a kilo of roubles.
>
>Yeah, I know, it reminds me of an old joke:
>
>Q. What's the correspondence between a pound, a dollar, and a ruble?
>A. A pound of rubles is worth a dollar.

Here's another good one:

What's the difference between a dollar and a ruble ?

a dollar.

-- Mike
| Michael B. Ratner |
|_____________________|

King Banaian

Jun 7, 1993, 8:18:01 PM6/7/93
In article <1v0a5k$v...@cismsun.univ-lyon1.fr> ( ) writes:

>> Does anybody knows the exchange ratio between Ukrainian coupon and R Rouble?
>>

>> Olli-Jukka>
>It s easy 1 R ROUBLE costs 3 coupons
According to Commersant and Moscow News, the coupon now goes for 4.25-4.5
karbovnets to one R rouble.
--King "Sparky" Banaian |"Bad logicians have
kban...@pitzer.claremont.edu |committed more involuntary
Dept. of Economics, Pitzer College |crimes than bad men have
Claremont, CA 91711 |done intentionally."
Latest 1993 GDP forecast: 2.4% | --Pierre S. du Pont
| (25 September 1790)

Vladimir F. Yamshchikov

Jun 7, 1993, 9:59:09 PM6/7/93
In article <1v0a5k$v...@cismsun.univ-lyon1.fr>, ( ) wrote:

> > Does anybody knows the exchange ratio between Ukrainian coupon and R Rouble?
> >

> > Olli-Jukka>

> It s easy 1 R ROUBLE costs 3 coupons

It's already old info. It's 1:4 now.

Vladimir

Peter in Amiland

Jun 14, 1993, 12:24:18 PM6/14/93
In article <1v0a5k$v...@cismsun.univ-lyon1.fr> ( ) writes:
>(Olli-Jukka Paloneva Tkkk) wrote:

>> > Finally it's going to be easy to recalculate the russian money using
>> > simple computer terms: $1 = 1024 rub = 1 Krub, $1,000 = 1 Mrub, etc.
>> > I got really tired of dividing by 960.

Is 1 Rub still equal to $1024? How does the official differ from the black
market values?

>> > Zak.
>> >
>> Does anybody knows the exchange ratio between Ukrainian coupon and R Rouble?
>>

>> Olli-Jukka>

>It s easy 1 R ROUBLE costs 3 coupons

Does anyone know roughly (approximate) salaries/income of typical Russian
workers/families currently? I am looking for rough ideas about low/middle/
upper class workers, and what they make on a monthly basis. Is there a large
difference between, say Russians living in northern Russia, and Russians in
Moskow, (income wise)...

Anyone know the approximate population of Murmansk, and approximate population
of Moskow?

Any and all info/help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thank you in advance...

Peter

*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*
* pdi...@epx.cis.umn.edu (Internet, immer/always) Walter Computer Lab Mngr *
* pdi...@mermaid.micro.umn.edu (Internet, immer/always) Consultant EE/CSCI *
*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*

King Banaian

Jun 14, 1993, 2:45:28 PM6/14/93
In article <C8MDM...@news.cis.umn.edu> pdi...@staff.tc.umn.edu (Peter in Amiland) writes:
>From: pdi...@staff.tc.umn.edu (Peter in Amiland)
>Subject: Re: Rub - dol! Ukr coupon INFO?
>Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1993 16:24:18 GMT

>In article <1v0a5k$v...@cismsun.univ-lyon1.fr> ( ) writes:
>>In article <1993Jun1.1...@abo.fi>, OPAL...@FINABO.ABO.FI
>>(Olli-Jukka Paloneva Tkkk) wrote:
>>>
>>> In <1ufnc0...@umbc4.umbc.edu> cs46...@umbc.edu writes:
>>>

>Is 1 Rub still equal to $1024? How does the official differ from the black
>market values?
>

>>It s easy 1 R ROUBLE costs 3 coupons

The rate is currently about 4.25 coupons/ruble. However, last I saw,
Ukrainian Central Bank was still selling $1 at about 3500 karbovnets. The
latest rate on rubles from the Moscow Interbank Currency Exchange was 1102
rubles to the dollar. So the best buy for rubles seems to be to buy coupons
in Moscow, bring them to Kiev and get dollars. (Looks like about a 15%
profit.) Is there a currency control out there that keeps you from making
this deal?

>Does anyone know roughly (approximate) salaries/income of typical Russian
>workers/families currently? I am looking for rough ideas about low/middle/
>upper class workers, and what they make on a monthly basis. Is there a large
>difference between, say Russians living in northern Russia, and Russians in
>Moskow, (income wise)...

The median income of Russian workers last year was about R4800. The poverty
level was estimated to be about R3200. Less than 1% made over R10,000. (
Data from Goskomstat, 11/92.) If you're interested, I have some income
distribution data I can email.

I don't recall seeing data on differences across the regions. I'll check
again.

Data are from Kommersant and Moscow News.

Dragon Fly

Jun 14, 1993, 2:59:32 PM6/14/93
In article <kbanaian.61...@bernard.pitzer.claremont.edu> kban...@bernard.pitzer.claremont.edu (King Banaian) writes:
>In article <C8MDM...@news.cis.umn.edu> pdi...@staff.tc.umn.edu (Peter in Amiland) writes:
>>Is 1 Rub still equal to $1024? How does the official differ from the black
>>market values?
>>
>>>It s easy 1 R ROUBLE costs 3 coupons
>
>The rate is currently about 4.25 coupons/ruble. However, last I saw,
>Ukrainian Central Bank was still selling $1 at about 3500 karbovnets. The
>latest rate on rubles from the Moscow Interbank Currency Exchange was 1102
>rubles to the dollar. So the best buy for rubles seems to be to buy coupons
>in Moscow, bring them to Kiev and get dollars. (Looks like about a 15%
>profit.) Is there a currency control out there that keeps you from making
>this deal?

Actually you can make even higher profit by buying and selling
bucks directly in Moscow, without endangering yourself and
your money by travelling to Kiev. The difference in dollar/ruble
exchange rate in commercial bank in Moscow reaches 50 roubles/dollar,
even when the banks are across the street from each other.

Serega

King Banaian

Jun 14, 1993, 7:21:42 PM6/14/93
In article <1993Jun14.1...@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> viz...@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Dragon Fly) writes:

>>The rate is currently about 4.25 coupons/ruble. However, last I saw,
>>Ukrainian Central Bank was still selling $1 at about 3500 karbovnets. The
>>latest rate on rubles from the Moscow Interbank Currency Exchange was 1102
>>rubles to the dollar. So the best buy for rubles seems to be to buy coupons
>>in Moscow, bring them to Kiev and get dollars. (Looks like about a 15%
>>profit.) Is there a currency control out there that keeps you from making
>>this deal?
>
>Actually you can make even higher profit by buying and selling
>bucks directly in Moscow, without endangering yourself and
>your money by travelling to Kiev. The difference in dollar/ruble
>exchange rate in commercial bank in Moscow reaches 50 roubles/dollar,
>even when the banks are across the street from each other.

The 50 rub/$ difference sounds about normal in an imperfectly informed
market; I noticed small differences in exchange rates in Paris in the 70s.
I'm talking about earning three times that much. Is "highway robbery" such
a big problem there that these differences reflect the risks in going from
Moscow to Kiev?

Dragon Fly

Jun 14, 1993, 7:44:51 PM6/14/93

Sure. Will you carry a suitcase full of banknotes in US ?
Besides, when travelling from MSK to Kiev you will be robbed
by custom officials on both sides. Agree, that carrying a bag
of banknotes across the street is much more safe and reliable
way in this situation. That how I know some people earn money
in Moscow. But there is a risk too: you have to operate with
large sums of money in order to get a tangible profit, but as soon
as you do, the exchange rate in the banks involved smoothes out...
There are no easy money...

Serega

Dmitri Galter

Jun 15, 1993, 3:24:25 PM6/15/93
In article <kbanaian.61...@bernard.pitzer.claremont.edu>, kban...@bernard.pitzer.claremont.edu (King Banaian) writes:
> The median income of Russian workers last year was about R4800. The poverty
> level was estimated to be about R3200. Less than 1% made over R10,000. (
> Data from Goskomstat, 11/92.) If you're interested, I have some income
> distribution data I can email.
>
> I don't recall seeing data on differences across the regions. I'll check
> again.
>
> Data are from Kommersant and Moscow News.

I have a strong feeling that these data are a bit outdated to say the least.
With a current rate of inflation of approximately 20% a month half of the
population would have died from starvation if these figures still hold.
The actual income (I am talking face values) doubled if not trippled since
November 1992.

Dmitri.

King Banaian

Jun 15, 1993, 5:49:55 PM6/15/93
In article <C8oGK...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca> dga...@neumann.uwaterloo.ca (Dmitri Galter) writes:
>In article <kbanaian.61...@bernard.pitzer.claremont.edu>, kbanaian@

bernard.pitzer.claremont.edu (King Banaian) writes: >> The median income of
Russian workers last year was about R4800. The poverty >> level was
estimated to be about R3200. Less than 1% made over R10,000. (>> Data from
Goskomstat, 11/92.) If you're interested, I have some income >>
distribution data I can email.>
>I have a strong feeling that these data are a bit outdated to say the least.
>With a current rate of inflation of approximately 20% a month half of the
>population would have died from starvation if these figures still hold.
>The actual income (I am talking face values) doubled if not trippled since
>November 1992.

They've at least doubled. In fact, another source listed median income for
the year of 1992 (presumably centered on June/July) at 3600. So clearly
these income levels have gone up. Since the first of the year, monthly
inflation rates have been 27%, 24%, 17%, 16%, and 19%.

Timur Kadyshev

Jun 15, 1993, 1:02:31 PM6/15/93
>Actually you can make even higher profit by buying and selling
>bucks directly in Moscow, without endangering yourself and
>your money by travelling to Kiev. The difference in dollar/ruble
>exchange rate in commercial bank in Moscow reaches 50 roubles/dollar,
>even when the banks are across the street from each other.

Commercial banks usually announce exchange rates as of before
intereset charged. As soon as they charge the interest (or tax, or
whatever), the difference in buying rate in one bank and selling
rate in another is hardly positive. And if so, it's negligible anyway,
so you should operate with really huge pile of money to get any
significant profit.

-- Timur.

Timur Kadyshev

Jun 15, 1993, 1:18:33 PM6/15/93

First of all, you don't mention that the numbers you give refer to
MONTHLY income. Then, inflation last year was around 2500% (not sure,
but above 2000% - definitely). As far as I remember in October median
income of Russian worker was over R10,000 (per month again), and if
you mean industrial workers only, their median income was well over
R20,000, dollar exchange rate was around $400. Now median income of
industrial workers is for sure well above R50,000, I guess something
like R70-100k. Don't know about overall average income, probably
something like R25-30k.

Two weeks ago there was a seminar in Harvard with Grigory Javlinsky
as speaker. He said, that in May Russian government made a great
achievemnt in slowing down the inflation: it appeared to be only
17%/month -- in April it was 30%. Really great! ;)

-- Timur.

King Banaian

Jun 16, 1993, 3:30:06 PM6/16/93
In article <1vl099$3...@senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU> ti...@athena.mit.edu (Timur Kadyshev) writes:
.>In article <kbanaian.61...@bernard.pitzer.claremont.edu> kbanaian@

bernard.pitzer.claremont.edu (King Banaian) writes:
>>The median income of Russian workers last year was about R4800. The poverty
>>level was estimated to be about R3200. Less than 1% made over R10,000. (
>>Data from Goskomstat, 11/92.)
>First of all, you don't mention that the numbers you give refer to
>MONTHLY income.

Yes, quite right. That was sloppy of me, and I apologize to anyone so
mislead.

>Then, inflation last year was around 2500% (not sure,
>but above 2000% - definitely). As far as I remember in October median
>income of Russian worker was over R10,000 (per month again),

That number would not jibe with the data Goskomstat is giving. Do you have
a source for it? (We have reasons not to trust Goskomstat, after all ;-)

As to inflation, on November 1992 the wholesale price index was 5,137 based
on December 1991 = 100. The consumer index given in Ekonomika i zhizn 51
reports consumer prices for that period of 2084, again based on 12/91 =
100. A worker's wage index over the same period has wages rising only to
927 versus 100 over an identical period. The data from Goskomstat also
includes the farmers, who typically have far lower wages.

(I have an appointment with a library to see the PlanEcon reports tomorrow.
If you have sources, again, please send them to me. I can use these in my
work.)

and if
>you mean industrial workers only, their median income was well over
>R20,000, dollar exchange rate was around $400. Now median income of
>industrial workers is for sure well above R50,000, I guess something
>like R70-100k. Don't know about overall average income, probably
>something like R25-30k.

Industrial workers make much more than farmers, so an overall index is going
to come in lower than one done just for industrial workers.>

>Two weeks ago there was a seminar in Harvard with Grigory Javlinsky
>as speaker. He said, that in May Russian government made a great
>achievemnt in slowing down the inflation: it appeared to be only
>17%/month -- in April it was 30%. Really great! ;)

Wholesale prices rose 16% in April and 19% in May (from Kommersant.) Are
you reporting consumer prices? So they are doing even better? ;-)

Timur Kadyshev

Jun 17, 1993, 3:37:40 PM6/17/93

>>Then, inflation last year was around 2500% (not sure,
>>but above 2000% - definitely). As far as I remember in October median
>>income of Russian worker was over R10,000 (per month again),
>
>That number would not jibe with the data Goskomstat is giving. Do you have
>a source for it? (We have reasons not to trust Goskomstat, after all ;-)

Well, the major source is myself. I left Moscow in the end of November, so
I know ther order of inflation rate just because I used to visit shops for
food and some other staff. Seriously, I think the most reliable source
is "Commersant", which I used to read. Do not pay much attention to
Goskomstat data.

>100. A worker's wage index over the same period has wages rising only to
>927 versus 100 over an identical period. The data from Goskomstat also
>includes the farmers, who typically have far lower wages.

Again, don't pay much attentiion to Goskomsat data, they just collect
reports ("otchety") that has nothing to do with real life. I don't
know much about farmers income, except of workers of collective farms
(kolkhoz) usually receive major part of their income by illegal
selling kolkhoz' production. Another way is natural exchange. These
incomes are not reflected in any documents and Goskomstat just "doesn't
know" about them.

>Industrial workers make much more than farmers, so an overall index is going
>to come in lower than one done just for industrial workers.>

Agree.

>>Two weeks ago there was a seminar in Harvard with Grigory Javlinsky
>>as speaker. He said, that in May Russian government made a great
>>achievemnt in slowing down the inflation: it appeared to be only
>>17%/month -- in April it was 30%. Really great! ;)
>>

>Wholesale prices rose 16% in April and 19% in May (from Kommersant.) Are
>you reporting consumer prices? So they are doing even better? ;-)

Probably Kommersant data are more reliable, though GJ spoke about
inflation - probably he meant just money issue rate, not wholesale
prices. You could also pay some attention on dollar exchange rate, which
correlates to inflation quite close (take into account "interventions"
of Gosbank though).

-- Timur.