Scotch vs. Scottish

La N

May 7, 2008, 10:04:01 AM5/7/08
Are both terms acceptable when referring to things/people of Scotland? Or
is "Scotch" considered pejorative. I thought of that when I was looking in
my pantry today for lunch ideas and came across Scotch broth (which I like).
I don't like Scotch the drink.

- nilita

Cory Bhreckan

May 7, 2008, 10:18:41 AM5/7/08
La N wrote:
> Are both terms acceptable when referring to things/people of Scotland? Or
> is "Scotch" considered pejorative.

They only pretend to be offended. Next time you run into a Scotsman,
call him 'a Scotch poof'. After a hearty laugh he will thank you.

--
"For the stronger we our houses do build,
The less chance we have of being killed." - William Topaz McGonagall

La N

May 7, 2008, 10:21:52 AM5/7/08

"Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

> La N wrote:
>> Are both terms acceptable when referring to things/people of Scotland?
>> Or is "Scotch" considered pejorative.
>
> They only pretend to be offended. Next time you run into a Scotsman, call
> him 'a Scotch poof'. After a hearty laugh he will thank you.

Okay ... :)

James Hogg

May 7, 2008, 10:46:08 AM5/7/08
On Wed, 07 May 2008 14:04:01 GMT, "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Neither did my Uncle Frank. He was teetotal. One of my most vivid
childhood memories is my Uncle Frank's reaction to an Irishman who
called him "Scotch": "Scotch is the name of a drink. I'm Scottish."
This is an example of what the OED calls "the Scotsman's supposed
dislike of" the word Scotch.

The dictionary says it all better than I could:

"The three forms of the adj., Scotch, Scottish, Scots, are still
current, with some difference in use, which, however, is somewhat
unsettled. Down to the middle of the 16th c. the only form used in
southern English was Scottish; but in the dialect of Scotland (and in
that of the north of England in the 14th and 15th c.) the form was
Scottis (cf. Inglis = English), subsequently contracted to Scots. So
far as our quotations show, the contraction of Scottish into Scotch is
not recorded before 1570 (in the compound Scotchman), though the
colloquial pronunciation which it represents may well be much older;
instances of Scotch cap, Scotch jig occur in 1591-99, but the adj. did
not become common in literature until the second half of the 17th c.
From that time until the 19th c. Scotch has been the prevailing form
in England, though Scottish has always been in use as a more formal
synonym. In Scotland, the authors who wrote in dialect (down to Ramsay
and Fergusson early in the 18th c.) used Scots, while those who
anglicized adopted the form Scottish. But before the end of the 18th
c. Scotch had been adopted into the northern vernacular; it is used
regularly by Burns, and subsequently by Scott; still later, it appears
even in official language in the title of the ‘Scotch Education
Office’. Since the mid 19th c. there has been in Scotland a growing
tendency to discard this form altogether, Scottish, or less frequently
Scots, being substituted. At the beginning of the 20th c., while in
England Scotch was the ordinary colloquial word, the literary usage
prefered Scottish in applications relating to the nation or the
country at large or its institutions or characteristics. Thus it was
usual to speak of ‘Scottish literature’, ‘Scottish history’, ‘the
Scottish character’, ‘a Scottish lawyer’, ‘the Scottish border’. On
the other hand, it would have sounded affected to say ‘a Scottish
girl’, ‘a Scottish gardener.’ Although ‘the Scottish dialect’ is now
the usual designation, it is seldom that Scottish is used as a n.
instead of Scotch. Recent usage favours Scots in ‘Scots law’, and it
is now almost universal in historical references to money, as ‘a pound
Scots’.
In the 20th c. the word Scotch has been falling into disuse in
England as well as in Scotland, out of deference to the Scotsman's
supposed dislike of it; except for certain fixed collocations, (such
as ‘Scotch mist’, ‘Scotch whisky’) Scottish (less frequently Scots) is
now the usual adjective, and to designate the inhabitants of Scotland
the pl. n. Scots is preferred (see Gowers/Fowler Mod. Eng. Usage
(1965))."

If my Uncle Frank had been Welsh he would probably have said: "Welsh
means to fail to keep a promise. I'm Cymric."

I don't know what women from Lesbos do in this situation.

James

La N

May 7, 2008, 11:01:18 AM5/7/08

"James Hogg" <Jas.H...@SPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message

> > c. Scotch had been adopted into the northern vernacular; it is used
> regularly by Burns,

That settles it! If it's good enough for Burns .... ;)

James Hogg

May 7, 2008, 11:11:25 AM5/7/08
On Wed, 07 May 2008 15:01:18 GMT, "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Aloe gel is also good for Burns.

But I must warn you that Burns is long since dead, and during that
time the value of words can have changed.

Uncle Frank has left us too, so you're safe enough from him, but there
are others who might (pretend to) take offence if you call them
Scotch. Innocent foreigners like yourself could be forgiven, but if an
Englishman dares to use the S word it's at his own stupid risk.

James

Cory Bhreckan

May 7, 2008, 11:47:25 AM5/7/08

Cory Bhreckan

May 7, 2008, 11:48:43 AM5/7/08

A fat lot of good it did him, he died at age 37.

Fred J. McCall

May 7, 2008, 11:54:03 AM5/7/08
James Hogg <Jas.H...@SPAM.gmail.com> wrote:
:
:I don't know what women from Lesbos do in this situation.
:

They remain very quiet until the lawsuit is settled between the Isle
of Lesbos and the European Gay and Lesbian Alliance over who gets to
be a 'lesbian'...

Or perhaps they just all move to Yorkshire.

--
"Well, I met a girl in West Hollywood. I ain't naming names.
She really worked me over good. She was just like Jesse James.

James Hogg

May 7, 2008, 12:01:42 PM5/7/08
On Wed, 07 May 2008 08:54:03 -0700, Fred J. McCall
<fmc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>James Hogg <Jas.H...@SPAM.gmail.com> wrote:
>:
>:I don't know what women from Lesbos do in this situation.
>:
>
>They remain very quiet until the lawsuit is settled between the Isle
>of Lesbos and the European Gay and Lesbian Alliance over who gets to
>be a 'lesbian'...

I didn't know about that. Thanks to Cory for the link.

I did know that there are classical scholars who write about
Lesbianisms in Homer and even hyper-Lesbianisms in Alcaeus,
and do so with a perfectly straight face.

James

The Highlander

May 7, 2008, 12:07:52 PM5/7/08
On May 7, 8:48 am, Cory Bhreckan <coryvrec...@nospam.verizon.net>
wrote:
> La N wrote:
> > "James Hogg" <Jas.Hogg...@SPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> regularly by Burns,
>
> > That settles it! If it's good enough for Burns .... ;)
>
> A fat lot of good it did him, he died at age 37.

Ah, but what a way to go - too much whisky and sexual exhaustion...

The Highlander

May 7, 2008, 12:12:07 PM5/7/08
On May 7, 9:01 am, James Hogg <Jas.Hogg...@SPAM.gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 May 2008 08:54:03 -0700, Fred J. McCall
>
> <fmcc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >James Hogg <Jas.Hogg...@SPAM.gmail.com> wrote:
> >:
> >:I don't know what women from Lesbos do in this situation.
> >:
Lesbos is called Lesvos in Greek and the inhabitants call themselves
Lesviots.

allan connochie

May 7, 2008, 12:24:41 PM5/7/08

"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

The term is generally disliked within Scotland itself, though I don't think
anyone would be overtly offended by its use, unless it is being used
specifically to offend :-)
Allan

Cory Bhreckan

May 7, 2008, 12:29:00 PM5/7/08

I want to shot by a jealous spouse at the age of 98.

James Hogg

May 7, 2008, 3:03:48 PM5/7/08

If they call themselves Lesviots, that rather spoils their case
against the Lesbians.

James

allan connochie

May 7, 2008, 3:46:04 PM5/7/08

> On Wed, 07 May 2008 15:01:18 GMT, "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"James Hogg" <Jas.H...@SPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> regularly by Burns,
>>
>>That settles it! If it's good enough for Burns .... ;)
>
> Aloe gel is also good for Burns.
>
> But I must warn you that Burns is long since dead, and during that
> time the value of words can have changed.

Has anyone actually heard anyone say "Scots Wha Hae"? I'm used to Scots
dialects but it still sounds weird. It's suggested that Burns perhaps
sometimes didn't want his work to appear ungrammatical to a wider English
speaking public so in this instance he used the Scots words but abandoned
Scots grammar.

Allan

James Hogg

May 7, 2008, 4:04:09 PM5/7/08
On Wed, 07 May 2008 19:46:04 GMT, "allan connochie"
<connc...@noemail.com> wrote:

>"James Hogg" <Jas.H...@SPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 07 May 2008 15:01:18 GMT, "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"James Hogg" <Jas.H...@SPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>>That settles it! If it's good enough for Burns .... ;)
>>
>> Aloe gel is also good for Burns.
>>
>> But I must warn you that Burns is long since dead, and during that
>> time the value of words can have changed.
>
>Has anyone actually heard anyone say "Scots Wha Hae"? I'm used to Scots
>dialects but it still sounds weird. It's suggested that Burns perhaps
>sometimes didn't want his work to appear ungrammatical to a wider English
>speaking public so in this instance he used the Scots words but abandoned
>Scots grammar.

Aye. I wrote about that here back in September:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/soc.culture.scottish/msg/ee3d014ee545f798

I had to back up my arguments later in the thread.

Even less Scottish is the line
Scots, wham Bruce has aften led

I mean, who says "Wham" unless it's followed by "Last Christmas"?

Even Wikipedia gets this right:
"a calque on the English Scots Who Have; the traditional Scots idiom
would be Scots That Haes"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_Wha_Hae

James

Joe Makowiec

May 7, 2008, 5:33:37 PM5/7/08

To some extent it's generational. My m-in-law, born Lowell,
Massachusetts USA in 1913 to Scottish-Canadian parents, always referred
to herself as 'Scotch'. Her parents were from the Antigonish, Nova
Scotia area; we've visited there a number of times in recent years, and
in that area I've heard the term used to refer to a person of Scottish
ancestry. Many of the ancestors of the Scots in Nova Scotia came there
in the first half of the c19. Much as they've retained the Gaelic and
fiddle styles from that era, it's not an unreasonable assumption to guess
that the use of the word Scotch to describe a Scot came with them, too.

That said - I gather that contemporary Scots consider it offensive, so I
don't use it other than to describe whisky.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

allan connochie

May 7, 2008, 6:21:11 PM5/7/08

> On Wed, 07 May 2008 19:46:04 GMT, "allan connochie"
> <connc...@noemail.com> wrote:
>
>>> But I must warn you that Burns is long since dead, and during that
>>> time the value of words can have changed.
>>
>>Has anyone actually heard anyone say "Scots Wha Hae"? I'm used to Scots
>>dialects but it still sounds weird. It's suggested that Burns perhaps
>>sometimes didn't want his work to appear ungrammatical to a wider English
>>speaking public so in this instance he used the Scots words but abandoned
>>Scots grammar.
>
> Aye. I wrote about that here back in September:
>
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/soc.culture.scottish/msg/ee3d014ee545f798
>
> I had to back up my arguments later in the thread.
>
> Even less Scottish is the line
> Scots, wham Bruce has aften led
>
> I mean, who says "Wham" unless it's followed by "Last Christmas"?

Or as we'd say in this neck of the woods..................Wake iz up afore
ee gan gan!

Allan

Fred J. McCall

May 7, 2008, 11:30:34 PM5/7/08
Joe Makowiec <mako...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

:On 07 May 2008 in soc.culture.scottish, La N wrote:
:
[...]

Or tape.

Or perhaps as a synonym for 'penurious'.

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
-- Charles Pinckney

sandy58

May 8, 2008, 4:34:11 AM5/8/08
On May 7, 4:54 pm, Fred J. McCall <fmcc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Nope, Fred. They all live in the Northern Bar, George Street,
Aberdeen!! :-(

Josiah Jenkins

May 8, 2008, 5:55:01 AM5/8/08
On Wed, 07 May 2008 15:01:18 GMT, "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Only problem is that he's been dead since July 1796 . . .
when the crowd on the other side of the pond were 'colonials' !!!

Cory Bhreckan

May 8, 2008, 9:07:46 AM5/8/08

The Canadians were, but not the ones further south.

La N

May 8, 2008, 9:17:20 AM5/8/08

"Josiah Jenkins" <josiah-jenkins@somewhere_else.com> wrote in message

I'm always swayed by a good poet; that's the problem. However, since the
poet Mr. Hogg is still alive and kicking and entertaining the masses, I
shall pay attention to his bon mots. As for Corey's suggestion, that his
fellow Scots would appreciate being called "Scotch poufsters", I dunno ...

- nilita

Adam Whyte-Settlar

May 8, 2008, 10:41:43 AM5/8/08

"Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> La N wrote:
>> Are both terms acceptable when referring to things/people of Scotland?
>> Or is "Scotch" considered pejorative.
>
> They only pretend to be offended. Next time you run into a Scotsman, call
> him 'a Scotch poof'. After a hearty laugh he will thank you.

You see? That's an excellent example of how usefull ng's can be when used
properly.
You just can't find that quality of information in the tourist brochures.

The Highlander

May 8, 2008, 11:55:34 AM5/8/08
On May 8, 7:41 am, "Adam Whyte-Settlar" <none@none> wrote:
> "Cory Bhreckan" <coryvrec...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

In terms of useful information, you and the late Dr. Josef Goebbels
have so much in common!

Cory Bhreckan

May 8, 2008, 6:04:28 PM5/8/08

I've always wondered why they never get that part right.

Josiah Jenkins

May 8, 2008, 9:27:58 PM5/8/08
On Thu, 08 May 2008 13:07:46 GMT, Cory Bhreckan
<coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>Josiah Jenkins wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 May 2008 15:01:18 GMT, "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>> "James Hogg" <Jas.H...@SPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> That settles it! If it's good enough for Burns .... ;)
>>
>> Only problem is that he's been dead since July 1796 . . .
>> when the crowd on the other side of the pond were 'colonials' !!!
>>

>The Canadians were, but not the ones further south.

OK . . . he was born in 1759 when ALL of the crowd
on the other side of the pond were still 'colonials' !!!

or

In his lifetime, ALL of the crowd on the other side
of the pond were still 'colonials' !!!

Happy now ???

conwaycaine

May 9, 2008, 9:33:09 AM5/9/08

"Josiah Jenkins" <josiah-jenkins@somewhere_else.com> wrote in message

No.
The Native Americans certainly were not colonials.

Cory Bhreckan

May 9, 2008, 9:38:49 AM5/9/08

My dear boy, I was never unhappy. But I like watching you back peddle.

Cory Bhreckan

May 9, 2008, 3:39:52 PM5/9/08
Cory Bhreckan wrote:
> Josiah Jenkins wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 May 2008 13:07:46 GMT, Cory Bhreckan
>> <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>>> The Canadians were, but not the ones further south.
>>
>> OK . . . he was born in 1759 when ALL of the crowd
>> on the other side of the pond were still 'colonials' !!!
>>
>> or
>>
>> In his lifetime, ALL of the crowd on the other side
>> of the pond were still 'colonials' !!!
>>
>> Happy now ???
>
> My dear boy, I was never unhappy. But I like watching you back peddle.

That should be 'pedal'.

La N

May 9, 2008, 4:09:06 PM5/9/08

"Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

btw, I meant to tell you Scotch poofs that a couple days ago I was driving
behind my car around town for a bit following an auto that featured a
couple decals on the back bumper. One featured a cartoon of an insolent
Scot, giving "us" the finger and saying, "Up yer kilt!". Another decal
said, "It's hard to be humble when you're Scottish!"

It was a senior blue haired lady driving the car in question.

- nilita

Cory Bhreckan

May 9, 2008, 4:33:05 PM5/9/08

How do you drive behind your car? Can I try?

> for a bit following an auto that featured a
> couple decals on the back bumper. One featured a cartoon of an insolent
> Scot, giving "us" the finger and saying, "Up yer kilt!". Another decal
> said, "It's hard to be humble when you're Scottish!"
>
> It was a senior blue haired lady driving the car in question.
>
> - nilita

Fred J. McCall

May 9, 2008, 6:56:02 PM5/9/08
Cory Bhreckan <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

:

That rather depends on just what kind of line he's trying to sell,
doesn't it?

--
"Adrenaline is like exercise, but without the excessive gym fees."
-- Professor Walsh, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

La N

May 9, 2008, 7:19:31 PM5/9/08

"Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

Shoot. Sick the 'flu and not making much sense ...;(

Josiah Jenkins

May 10, 2008, 6:49:46 AM5/10/08

Ah wur talkin' about the white folks . . .

Josiah Jenkins

May 10, 2008, 6:56:54 AM5/10/08
On Fri, 09 May 2008 13:38:49 GMT, Cory Bhreckan
<coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>Josiah Jenkins wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 May 2008 13:07:46 GMT, Cory Bhreckan
>> <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>>> The Canadians were, but not the ones further south.
>>
>> OK . . . he was born in 1759 when ALL of the crowd
>> on the other side of the pond were still 'colonials' !!!
>>
>> or
>>
>> In his lifetime, ALL of the crowd on the other side
>> of the pond were still 'colonials' !!!
>>
>> Happy now ???
>
>My dear boy, I was never unhappy.
>But I like watching you back peddle.

Not back-peddling at all.

It's just extremely difficult to express a point when
restricted to one and two syllable words in order
that some of the ex-colonials who hang around
here can understand a concept.

However, we do our best to raise the education
standards of the average Murkin by explaining
in greater detail when required.

It does work in some cases . . . look what we've
done with Conway's perceptions of Skatland !

Josiah Jenkins

May 10, 2008, 7:03:10 AM5/10/08
On Fri, 09 May 2008 20:09:06 GMT, "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

<snip>

>btw, I meant to tell you Scotch poofs that a couple days ago I was driving
>behind my car around town for a bit

Brings a whole new meaning to "rear steer" !!!

> following an auto that featured a couple decals on the back bumper.
> One featured a cartoon of an insolent Scot, giving "us" the finger and
>saying, "Up yer kilt!".

I bought one of those in Tronno many years ago.

>Another decal said, "It's hard to be humble when you're Scottish!"

And why shouldn't a bumper sticker proclaim the truth ?

>It was a senior blue haired lady driving the car in question.

Probably a 'Gers fan !

conwaycaine

May 10, 2008, 9:18:02 AM5/10/08

"Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

Doc is a Scot.
"Peddle" will do nicely.

conwaycaine

May 10, 2008, 9:20:31 AM5/10/08

"Josiah Jenkins" <josiah-jenkins@somewhere_else.com> wrote in message

Yes indeed!
My experiences 'round here have become one of the more notable success
stories of a successful Scottish brain washing.

conwaycaine

May 10, 2008, 9:21:29 AM5/10/08

"Josiah Jenkins" <josiah-jenkins@somewhere_else.com> wrote in message

Ah!
(I've got to do something about me sensitivity)
(Or use more smiley faces)

Paul C

May 10, 2008, 4:14:22 PM5/10/08

The term "Scotch" tape has its origins in alleged Scottish parsimony.

The Highlander

May 10, 2008, 7:56:53 PM5/10/08
On May 7, 9:29 am, Cory Bhreckan <coryvrec...@nospam.verizon.net>
wrote:
> The Highlander wrote:
> > On May 7, 8:48 am, Cory Bhreckan <coryvrec...@nospam.verizon.net>
> > wrote:

> >> A fat lot of good it did him, he died at age 37.
>
> > Ah, but what a way to go - too much whisky and sexual exhaustion...
>
> I want to shot by a jealous spouse at the age of 98.
I doubt that by that time he will have any reason to shoot you.

Key Word: "Viagra".

The Highlander

May 10, 2008, 8:49:09 PM5/10/08
On May 7, 8:30 pm, Fred J. McCall <fmcc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

How about the term "Scotch-Irish" used to describe the Scottish-Irish
immigrants from Northern Ireland who settled Appalachia? I use it, as
it is a commonly accepted ethnic marker.

I might also mention Benjamin Disraelis' constant use of the the
phrase "The Scotchman, Brown" in reference to Queen Victoria 's
personal servant, who habitually addressed Her Majesty as
"Wumman!" (Woman) when chiding her and generally treated her as his
not-too-bright companion. Whether or not they were lovers is a matter
than has never been conclusively settled, although there is no doubt
that she adored him - he did after all save her from a potential
assassin by throwing himself between the supposed bullet and Her
Majesty. and it would be a rare Victorian-era lady who would not
thereafter have thought of him as "My Hero!"

(The assassin turned out to be a demented boy whose pistol carried no
bullet nor powder. but Brown's willingness to sacrifice his life for
her was not dismissed on that account and she rewarded him with a
medal and an annuity.)

The last vestige of the Victorian era that made any impression on me
as a child was the dress of my great-grandmother, who in the Victorian
manner wore black from head to foot, including black lace hanging from
her hat over her eyes as she was widowed. She died in the late 1940s.
The only thing I can remember her saying was how pleasant it was to be
served Darjeeling tea, given wartime rationing - my mother had pulled
out all the stops to ensure that the visit was a success. In my mind
she was like a visitor from the Middle Ages! In those days in the
Highlands, all widows wore black. and elderly men always wore their
medals pinned to their jackets.
I remember walking in Evanton, where AWS was brought up and being
slightly confused as to where I was.
One of the elderly gentlemen was sitting outside his cottage with his
medals on and being a polite little boy, I said, "Maduinn
Mhath!" (Good morning!) I was instantly reminded that I was not in
Gaelic Scotland, as the old man pursed his lips and hissed "Shit!!" I
fled. I mention this encounter as a possible reason for Adam's superb
command of the more unusual words so frequently encountered in Easter
Ross... Aye, coffi gadgie! (a local traveller greeting commonly heard
from non-travellers).

Josiah Jenkins

May 10, 2008, 8:56:08 PM5/10/08

Just a small something in return for all the Mormons with Murkin
accents who come knocking on our door.

"Sorry, I'm a Satanist", seems to put them off their stride !

deem...@aol.com

May 10, 2008, 9:03:04 PM5/10/08
On May 10, 9:20 am, "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> "Josiah Jenkins" <josiah-jenkins@somewhere_else.com> wrote in message

> > On Fri, 09 May 2008 13:38:49 GMT, Cory Bhreckan
> > <coryvrec...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

Versus a successful Scotch brain washing?

Lesley Robertson

May 11, 2008, 5:25:19 AM5/11/08

> Just a small something in return for all the Mormons with Murkin
> accents who come knocking on our door.
>
> "Sorry, I'm a Satanist", seems to put them off their stride !

"Sorry, I'm a scientist" has much the same effect.
Lesley Robertson

Joe Makowiec

May 11, 2008, 6:42:34 AM5/11/08

Maybe they're confusing you with Tom Cruise and Kirstie Alley? <gdr>

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe
Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

conwaycaine

May 11, 2008, 10:10:32 AM5/11/08

"Josiah Jenkins" <josiah-jenkins@somewhere_else.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 10 May 2008 09:20:31 -0400, "conwaycaine"
<Snip>

>>> It does work in some cases . . . look what we've
>>> done with Conway's perceptions of Skatland !
>>
>>Yes indeed!
>>My experiences 'round here have become one of the more notable success
>>stories of a successful Scottish brain washing.
>
> Just a small something in return for all the Mormons with Murkin
> accents who come knocking on our door.
>
> "Sorry, I'm a Satanist", seems to put them off their stride !

Don't try that approach with a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses.

conwaycaine

May 11, 2008, 10:11:15 AM5/11/08

"Lesley Robertson" <l.a.ro...@tnw.tudelft.nl> wrote in message

You guys.
No creativity whatsoever.
"I'm an Evolutionist" works the best.

conwaycaine

May 11, 2008, 10:12:13 AM5/11/08

<deem...@aol.com> wrote in message

****************

One sip of Talisker and I was off Scotch for life.
It's now Black Bush for me.

conwaycaine

May 11, 2008, 10:14:21 AM5/11/08

"Paul C" <pa...@thersgb.net> wrote in message

> On Wed, 07 May 2008 20:30:34 -0700, Fred J. McCall
>>:That said - I gather that contemporary Scots consider it offensive, so I
>>:don't use it other than to describe whisky.
>>:
>>
>>Or tape.
>>
>>Or perhaps as a synonym for 'penurious'
>
> The term "Scotch" tape has its origins in alleged Scottish parsimony.

Perhaps now you will go on to explain the origin of the term "English" which
is used in shooting pool (that's "Pool", not "Billiards")?

Fred J. McCall

May 11, 2008, 1:13:44 PM5/11/08
"conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

:
:"Lesley Robertson" <l.a.ro...@tnw.tudelft.nl> wrote in message

:

Personally, I've always preferred "I'm a druid".

Mormons aren't that hard to get rid of. Just tell them you're not
interested. That works fine here and we've got more Mormons than
anyplace outside of Utah.

--
"The supreme satisfaction is to be able to despise one’s
neighbour and this fact goes far to account for religious

Cory Bhreckan

May 11, 2008, 5:17:02 PM5/11/08

I ask them to spell 'Mormon' and then act surprised that there are two 'm's.

Josiah Jenkins

May 12, 2008, 12:12:05 AM5/12/08

Is that a 'bent shot' ?

conwaycaine

May 12, 2008, 9:27:26 AM5/12/08

"Fred J. McCall" <fmc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> :
> :"Lesley Robertson" <l.a.ro...@tnw.tudelft.nl> wrote in message
> :news:4-OdnduCnYj...@infopact.nl...
> :> "Josiah Jenkins" <josiah-jenkins@somewhere_else.com> wrote in message
> :> news:itgc24pcgp3r7j0r3...@4ax.com...
> :>>
> :>> Just a small something in return for all the Mormons with Murkin
> :>> accents who come knocking on our door.
> :>>
> :>> "Sorry, I'm a Satanist", seems to put them off their stride !
> :>
> :>
> :> "Sorry, I'm a scientist" has much the same effect.
> :> Lesley Robertson
> :
> :You guys.
> :No creativity whatsoever.
> :"I'm an Evolutionist" works the best.
> :
>
> Personally, I've always preferred "I'm a druid".
>
> Mormons aren't that hard to get rid of. Just tell them you're not
> interested. That works fine here and we've got more Mormons than
> anyplace outside of Utah.

I agree.
Three JWs think all others are bound for hell.
I think the Mormons cut the Methodists some slack on this issue.
Of course all believe horticultural Ozzies what wear funny looking hats are
in for a hot time.

conwaycaine

May 12, 2008, 9:29:28 AM5/12/08

> conwaycaine wrote:
>> "Lesley Robertson" <l.a.ro...@tnw.tudelft.nl> wrote in message
>>> "Josiah Jenkins" <josiah-jenkins@somewhere_else.com> wrote in message

>>> "Sorry, I'm a scientist" has much the same effect.
>>> Lesley Robertson
>>
>> You guys.
>> No creativity whatsoever.
>> "I'm an Evolutionist" works the best.
>
> I ask them to spell 'Mormon' and then act surprised that there are two
> 'm's.

Since when?

conwaycaine

May 12, 2008, 9:45:52 AM5/12/08

"Josiah Jenkins" <josiah-jenkins@somewhere_else.com> wrote in message

If one cues the ball in a lower quadrant (considerable skill needed here),
the ball will spin in a curved path, enabling the Hustler to go around an
obstacle ball and strike the object ball. More of a trick shot than a game
shot.

Cory Bhreckan

May 12, 2008, 10:15:53 AM5/12/08

Since I just thought of it. Why do you ask?

Josiah Jenkins

May 12, 2008, 7:48:56 PM5/12/08

Ooops, it's that cultural language problem again !
What's the difference between a Dutch hoe and a Dutch ho ?

Actually, I did know what it was . . . it's amazing what terms you
learn when you've got a pool game on your PC !

The phrase I used is not so much PC as PI.
And that's not a reference to the occupations of either :
Thomas Magnum (Tom Selleck) or Jim Rockford (James Garner)
more on the lines of 'Politically Incorrect'.

It's a derogatory term for a homosexual male.
(it may be that it's local to Glasgow ?)
Hence my suggestion of an *nglish connection.

conwaycaine

May 14, 2008, 2:18:07 PM5/14/08

> conwaycaine wrote:
>> "Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

>>> I ask them to spell 'Mormon' and then act surprised that there are two
>>> 'm's.
>>
>> Since when?
>>

> Since I just thought of it. Why do you ask?

Good point especially since I just took AWS to task for spelling slags.

conwaycaine

May 14, 2008, 2:19:40 PM5/14/08

"Josiah Jenkins" <josiah-jenkins@somewhere_else.com> wrote in message

Sometimes I feel so totally inadequate around here.

Cory Bhreckan

May 14, 2008, 6:36:06 PM5/14/08

It wasn't a slag, it was a flame. Must I teach you everything? Besides,
what does that have to do with this thread?

conwaycaine

May 15, 2008, 1:07:03 PM5/15/08

"Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

A bit of information for our resident bluebelly.
A slag is a slag is a slag..............

(Did you really write "what does that have to do with this thread"?)

Cory Bhreckan

May 15, 2008, 1:28:03 PM5/15/08

Of course it's not, you toothless, illiterate oaf.

> (Did you really write "what does that have to do with this thread"?)

deem...@aol.com

May 15, 2008, 1:52:59 PM5/15/08
On May 15, 1:28 pm, Cory Bhreckan <coryvrec...@nospam.verizon.net>
wrote:
> conwaycaine wrote:
> > "Cory Bhreckan" <coryvrec...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

> >> It wasn't a slag, it was a flame. Must I teach you everything? Besides,
> >> what does that have to do with this thread?
>
> > A bit of information for our resident bluebelly.
> > A slag is a slag is a slag..............
>
> Of course it's not, you toothless, illiterate oaf.
>

> > (Did you really write "what does that have to do with this thread"?)

You two play nice or, uh, or......aw, forget it.

conwaycaine

May 15, 2008, 3:36:32 PM5/15/08

> conwaycaine wrote:
<Snip>

>>> It wasn't a slag, it was a flame. Must I teach you everything? Besides,
>>> what does that have to do with this thread?
>>
>> A bit of information for our resident bluebelly.
>> A slag is a slag is a slag..............
>
> Of course it's not, you toothless, illiterate oaf.

One out of three is not bad.

(Did you really write "what does that have to do with this thread"?)

Anyway, read this and then decide who is the illiterate oaf.

****************************
Webster Dictionary

Main Entry:
3slag
Function:
transitive verb
Inflected Form(s):
slagged; slag·ging
Etymology:
probably from 2slag
Date:
1971
chiefly British : to criticize harshly

****************************
Wiktionary
[edit] Verb
Infinitive
to slag
Third person singular
slags
Simple past
slagged
Past participle
slagged
Present participle
slagging

to slag (third-person singular simple present slags, present participle
slagging, simple past and past participle slagged)

1.. (transitive) To make slag.
2.. (transitive) To talk badly about someone; to denigrate someone.

conwaycaine

May 15, 2008, 3:37:40 PM5/15/08

<deem...@aol.com> wrote in message

******************

Play nice with a yankee?
They'll come get my full color lithograph of Robert E. Lee.

La N

May 15, 2008, 3:50:30 PM5/15/08

"Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

For some reason I can't get the song (and visual) Dueling Banjos out of my
head .....

Cory Bhreckan

May 15, 2008, 3:59:01 PM5/15/08

I'm the guy with the guitar, Conway's the sport with the banjo.

La N

May 15, 2008, 4:01:12 PM5/15/08

"Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

http://youtube.com/watch?v=esl2NNOtHQE

Yup. That seems about right ....

- nilita

Cory Bhreckan

May 15, 2008, 4:29:49 PM5/15/08

Maybe Conway was the guy dancing.

La N

May 15, 2008, 6:36:14 PM5/15/08

"Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

I had him pegged as Adam coming to America for a visit ....

Cory Bhreckan

May 15, 2008, 7:22:10 PM5/15/08

Ah, Whyte-Settlar dancing. Like Morris dancing without the sticks.

conwaycaine

May 16, 2008, 8:35:51 AM5/16/08

"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

He's a yankee, Nilita.
He wouldn't know a Banjo if I whopped him over the head with it.

conwaycaine

May 16, 2008, 8:36:39 AM5/16/08

"Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

> La N wrote:

>>> I'm the guy with the guitar, Conway's the sport with the banjo.
>>>

>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=esl2NNOtHQE
>>
>> Yup. That seems about right ....
>>
>> - nilita
>
> Maybe Conway was the guy dancing.

You ever seen me dance?
Not a pretty sight.

Fred J. McCall

May 16, 2008, 11:13:38 AM5/16/08

:> La N wrote:
:>> "Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
:>>>>>
:>>>> For some reason I can't get the song (and visual) Dueling Banjos out of
:>>>> my head .....
:>>> I'm the guy with the guitar, Conway's the sport with the banjo.
:>>>
:>>
:>>
:>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=esl2NNOtHQE
:>>
:>> Yup. That seems about right ....
:>>
:>> - nilita
:>
:> Maybe Conway was the guy dancing.
:
:You ever seen me dance?
:Not a pretty sight.

:

Isn't the word 'dance' unnecessary in your self-characterization,
above?

--
"Adrenaline is like exercise, but without the excessive gym fees."
-- Professor Walsh, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Cory Bhreckan

May 16, 2008, 1:12:41 PM5/16/08

I bet I play better claw hammer style than you.

conwaycaine

May 16, 2008, 1:21:02 PM5/16/08

> "conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> :
> :"Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> :news:131Xj.12216$jk1.3172@trndny05...
> :> La N wrote:
> :>> "Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> :>>>>>
> :>>>> For some reason I can't get the song (and visual) Dueling Banjos out
> of
> :>>>> my head .....
> :>>> I'm the guy with the guitar, Conway's the sport with the banjo.
> :>>>
> :>>
> :>>
> :>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=esl2NNOtHQE
> :>>
> :>> Yup. That seems about right ....
> :>>
> :>> - nilita
> :>
> :> Maybe Conway was the guy dancing.
> :
> :You ever seen me dance?
> :Not a pretty sight.
> :
>
> Isn't the word 'dance' unnecessary in your self-characterization,
> above?

Perhaps but "Lurch and stumble" seems a bit demeaning,

conwaycaine

May 16, 2008, 1:22:04 PM5/16/08

"Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

Probably do.
I never quite mastered the Clawhammer style.
But then I never quite mastered the three finger style either.

Cory Bhreckan

May 16, 2008, 4:56:08 PM5/16/08

I haven't played in 30 years or so. Did you notice on that "Deliverance"
clip that the mutant was playing clawhammer in the beginning of 'Dueling
Banjos' but the soundtrack switched to three finger when they started
playing together?

Josiah Jenkins

May 16, 2008, 7:58:04 PM5/16/08
On Fri, 16 May 2008 08:36:39 -0400, "conwaycaine"
<conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"Cory Bhreckan" <coryv...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>> La N wrote:

>>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=esl2NNOtHQE
>>>
>>> Yup. That seems about right ....
>>>
>>> - nilita
>>
>> Maybe Conway was the guy dancing.
>
>You ever seen me dance?
>Not a pretty sight.

Why have 'dance' in there ???
It makes sense without it !

conwaycaine

May 17, 2008, 2:35:00 PM5/17/08

> conwaycaine wrote:
<Snip>

> I haven't played in 30 years or so. Did you notice on that "Deliverance"
> clip that the mutant was playing clawhammer in the beginning of 'Dueling
> Banjos' but the soundtrack switched to three finger when they started
> playing together?

That one got by me.
BTY, the author of "Dueling Banjos", Arthur Smith, is from Charlotte.

conwaycaine

May 17, 2008, 2:36:12 PM5/17/08

"Josiah Jenkins" <josiah-jenkins@somewhere_else.com> wrote in message

You really know ho to hurt a guy, don't you, doc?
Are there no laws in Britain to protect the rhythm impaired?

Fred J. McCall

May 17, 2008, 3:48:00 PM5/17/08
"conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

:
:"Fred J. McCall" <fmc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

:

Well, I've always believed that dancing is women's work. Much more
fun to watch them than do it than to do it oneself.

Probably even more fun to watch them lurch and stumble than to dance
oneself. :-)

Fred J. McCall

May 17, 2008, 4:32:40 PM5/17/08
Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins@somewhere_else.com> wrote:

:On Fri, 16 May 2008 08:36:39 -0400, "conwaycaine"

:

Quite late with that sentiment. I already expressed it...

territory."
--G. Behn

Jeffrey Hamilton

May 18, 2008, 1:12:03 PM5/18/08

"conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Never, ever, reveal where you have it stashed.

Oh by the way conway, is it dated before or after, Appomattox ?

cheers....Jeff

conwaycaine

May 18, 2008, 4:11:19 PM5/18/08

"Jeffrey Hamilton" <bbere...@cogeco.ca> wrote in message

> "conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
<Snip>

>> ******************
>>
>> Play nice with a yankee?
>> They'll come get my full color lithograph of Robert E. Lee.

> Never, ever, reveal where you have it stashed.
>
> Oh by the way conway, is it dated before or after, Appomattox ?

After.
He was much too busy running yankees all over northern Virginia to have time
to sit for a portrait before Appomattox..

deem...@aol.com

May 18, 2008, 4:16:53 PM5/18/08
On May 18, 4:11 pm, "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> "Jeffrey Hamilton" <bberesf...@cogeco.ca> wrote in message

> > "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> <Snip>
>
> >> ******************
>
> >> Play nice with a yankee?
> >> They'll come get my full color lithograph of Robert E. Lee.
>
> > Never, ever, reveal where you have it stashed.
>
> > Oh by the way conway, is it dated before or after, Appomattox ?
>
> After.
> He was much too busy running yankees all over northern Virginia to have time
> to sit for a portrait before Appomattox..

Does it have the big "L" on his forehead? :-)

conwaycaine

May 19, 2008, 10:34:10 AM5/19/08

<deem...@aol.com> wrote in message

***************

He didn't lose.
The Southern economy lost.
The South could never have won a sustained war against the north.
Its only hope was a few bold strikes followed by some sort of settlement.

deem...@aol.com

May 19, 2008, 10:39:04 AM5/19/08
On May 19, 10:34 am, "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote in message

Then he should've stayed loyal to his oath and led the Union armies
to victory.

Fred J. McCall

May 19, 2008, 11:38:07 AM5/19/08
"deem...@aol.com" <deem...@aol.com> wrote:

:On May 19, 10:34 am, "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
:> <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote in message

:>
:> He didn't lose.

:> The Southern economy lost.
:> The South could never have won a sustained war against the north.
:> Its only hope was a few bold strikes followed by some sort of settlement.
:>
:
: Then he should've stayed loyal to his oath and led the Union armies
:to victory.

:

He did stay loyal to his oath. People were citizens of States first.
His honour compelled him to go with his State and fight for a cause
that he really didn't believe in.

--
"Life passes. Honour remains."
-- Kurdish proverb

Jeffrey Hamilton

May 20, 2008, 12:48:47 AM5/20/08

"conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

That must have been him chasing them from Gettysburg then, well I am pleased
that he eventually got a chance to sit and pose for the litho you have.
Elsewise you'd have a blank space on the wall.

cheers.....Jeff

deem...@aol.com

May 20, 2008, 6:20:53 AM5/20/08
On May 19, 11:38 am, Fred J. McCall <fmcc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "deemsb...@aol.com" <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> :On May 19, 10:34 am, "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote::> <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote in message
>
> :>
> :> He didn't lose.
> :> The Southern economy lost.
> :> The South could never have won a sustained war against the north.
> :> Its only hope was a few bold strikes followed by some sort of settlement.
> :>
> :
> :   Then he should've stayed loyal to his oath and led the Union armies
> :to victory.
> :
>
> He did stay loyal to his oath.  People were citizens of States first.
> His honour compelled him to go with his State and fight for a cause
> that he really didn't believe in.

I must've missed the oath he made to Virginia.

Fred J. McCall

May 20, 2008, 6:32:22 AM5/20/08
"deem...@aol.com" <deem...@aol.com> wrote:

:

You indeed must have.

It's part of that whole 'citizenship' thing...

deem...@aol.com

May 20, 2008, 6:39:55 AM5/20/08
On May 20, 6:32 am, Fred J. McCall <fmcc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "deemsb...@aol.com" <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> :On May 19, 11:38 am, Fred J. McCall <fmcc...@earthlink.net> wrote::> "deemsb...@aol.com" <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> :>
> :> :On May 19, 10:34 am, "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote::> <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote in message
> :>
> :> :>
> :> :> He didn't lose.
> :> :> The Southern economy lost.
> :> :> The South could never have won a sustained war against the north.
> :> :> Its only hope was a few bold strikes followed by some sort of settlement.
> :> :>
> :> :
> :> :   Then he should've stayed loyal to his oath and led the Union armies
> :> :to victory.
> :> :
> :>
> :> He did stay loyal to his oath.  People were citizens of States first.
> :> His honour compelled him to go with his State and fight for a cause
> :> that he really didn't believe in.
> :>
> :
> :   I must've missed the oath he made to Virginia.
> :
>
> You indeed must have.
>
> It's part of that whole 'citizenship' thing...

I'm pretty sure the oath he took upon graduating West Point didn't
have an asterick.

Fred J. McCall

May 20, 2008, 7:07:16 AM5/20/08
"deem...@aol.com" <deem...@aol.com> wrote:

:

Well, that *is* why he resigned his commission and all. Conflicting
oaths and all that...

deem...@aol.com

May 20, 2008, 7:18:20 AM5/20/08
On May 20, 7:07 am, Fred J. McCall <fmcc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "deemsb...@aol.com" <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> :On May 20, 6:32 am, Fred J. McCall <fmcc...@earthlink.net> wrote::> "deemsb...@aol.com" <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> :>
> :> :On May 19, 11:38 am, Fred J. McCall <fmcc...@earthlink.net> wrote::> "deemsb...@aol.com" <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote:
> :>
> :> :>
> :> :> :On May 19, 10:34 am, "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote::> <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote in message
> :> :>
> :> :> :>
> :> :> :> He didn't lose.
> :> :> :> The Southern economy lost.
> :> :> :> The South could never have won a sustained war against the north.
> :> :> :> Its only hope was a few bold strikes followed by some sort of settlement.
> :> :> :>
> :> :> :
> :> :> :   Then he should've stayed loyal to his oath and led the Union armies
> :> :> :to victory.
> :> :> :
> :> :>
> :> :> He did stay loyal to his oath.  People were citizens of States first.
> :> :> His honour compelled him to go with his State and fight for a cause
> :> :> that he really didn't believe in.
> :> :>
> :> :
> :> :   I must've missed the oath he made to Virginia.
> :> :
> :>
> :> You indeed must have.
> :>
> :> It's part of that whole 'citizenship' thing...
> :>
> :
> :  I'm pretty sure the oath he took upon graduating West Point didn't
> :have an asterick.
> :
>
> Well, that *is* why he resigned his commission and all.  Conflicting
> oaths and all that...

I have no problem with him resigning his commission....it's the
taking up arms against that oath which is treason.

Fred J. McCall

May 20, 2008, 10:42:08 AM5/20/08
"deem...@aol.com" <deem...@aol.com> wrote:

:

Poppycock! You can't commit treason against a nation which you are no
longer a part of.

deem...@aol.com

May 20, 2008, 11:30:10 AM5/20/08

> :>
> :
> :   I have no problem with him resigning his commission....it's the
> :taking up arms against that oath which is treason.
> :
>
> Poppycock!  You can't commit treason against a nation which you are no
> longer a part of.

I'm sure that would've been a viable defense for Washington,
Jefferson, etc if the British won the American Revolution.

It is loading more messages.