Inflation News + Question

1 view

Andrei Cazaco

Mar 20, 1995, 12:52:57 PM3/20/95

The monthly inflation rate slowed to 1.4% in February, down from
2.0% in January. Year-on-year inflation was 50.6%. 1994 inflation was
61.7% and 1993 was 300%. Source: National Statistics Board and Reuters.

Does anybody in our newsgroup know how reliable the statistics published
by the NSB are? Have there been any doubts about their accuracy?

Alexander Bossy

Mar 24, 1995, 9:14:02 PM3/24/95
Andrei Cazaco (and...@humnet.ucla.edu) wrote:

: The monthly inflation rate slowed to 1.4% in February, down from

I don't know how reliable the NSB is generally prceived to be, but the
figures you have posted are in line with those that the IMF has calculated.

Alexander

ZODIAN ANDREI

Mar 25, 1995, 4:27:24 PM3/25/95

I'm not sure on this one, but I remember reading somewhere (possibly this
newsgroup) that Romania was forced to ask for a loan from IMF. As usual,
they came with a set of tough measures, and in this case they targeted
inflation.

Along this line, does anybody have info on the foreign debt (size, rate
of changing, percentage of GDP)?

--
_ _ _ | Andrei Zodian | "In fact, nothing is
/_\ _ _ __| |_ _ ___(_) | University of Toronto | said that has not

Andrei

Mar 26, 1995, 1:22:52 PM3/26/95
alxa...@panix.com (Alexander Bossy) wrote:

> I don't know how reliable the NSB is generally prceived to be, but the
> figures you have posted are in line with those that the IMF has calculated.
>
> Alexander

The problem is that the IMF uses statistics provided by its
member-countries as its primary source of economic data. In other words,
it is possible that by confirming NSB data by using IMF data, one
simply compares NSB numbers to themselves. I'm sure, however, that the
IMF does subject the data it receives to some sort of scrutiny, so an
IMF validation is worth something.

Andrei

Andrei

Mar 26, 1995, 1:30:12 PM3/26/95
zod...@ecf.toronto.edu (ZODIAN ANDREI) wrote:

> Along this line, does anybody have info on the foreign debt (size, rate
> of changing, percentage of GDP)?

At the end of 1994, foreign debt amounted to $4.42 billion. It has
been growing rapidly, but from a very low level. More than half of it
is owed to international lending agencies, such as the IMF and the
World Bank.

Andrei