MKO ABIOLA ON CBS & '60 MINUTES'

Kale Oyedeji

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
Just as Teju Olaniyan found the peice below of great interes on Monday 19
August 1996, I fing most interesting today.

'Kale Oyedeji

id AA27724; Mon, 19 Aug 96 00:46:08 EDT

(LSMTP for OpenVMS v1.1a) with SMTP id <15.E2...@VMS.DC.LSOFT.COM>;
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 23:46:04 -0500

with

NJE id 5488 for NAIJ...@MITVMA.MIT.EDU; Mon, 19 Aug 1996
00:37:01

-0400

V1.2b/1.8b) with BSMTP id 2141; Mon, 19 Aug 1996 00:36:40 -0400

TCP; Mon,

19 Aug 96 00:36:39 EDT

19 Aug

96 0:37 EDT

Aug

1996 00:37:04 -0400

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 00:37:04 -0400

Sender: Nigerian Information network <NAIJ...@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>

From: Tejumola Olaniyan <to...@UVA.PCMAIL.VIRGINIA.EDU>

Subject: MKO ABIOLA ON CBS & '60 MINUTES'

To: Multiple recipients of list NAIJANET <NAIJ...@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>

Dear good folks,

I was going through microfilms of old Nigerian newspapers recently

when I came across the article below by MKO Abiola. As a

historical document, I find it infinitely interesting on several

fronts. I hope you do too.

Teju Olaniyan

-------------------------

>From THE PUNCH, Tuesday January 3, 1984, p.7.

"C.B.S. DOCUMENTARY ON NIGERIA:

'60 MINUTES OF PURE FICTION' M.K.O replies American T.V. Producer"

[in italics] Recently CBS, an American Television organisation

ran a documentary on Nigeria, on its popular Programme "60

minutes". To Chief M.K.O. Abiola, Chairman of Concord Press of

Nigeria Limited and numerous other Nigerians who watched the

programme on American Television, it was nothing but an imaginary

tale of all things negative about Nigeria and her Peoples. Chief

Abiola consequently wrote a rejoinder to the Producer of the

programme, alluding to Western media bias not only against Africa

but also the entire third world.

Here we publish a copy of the letter. [end italics]

I am a 46-year-old Nigerian and a regular viewer of your "60

minutes" programme. I saw the programme on Nigeria today, and

strenuously object to the inaccurate impression you gave to the

American public through exaggerations, half truths and falsehoods.

You have also done a greater disservice to the journalism

profession as a whole and the many hard-working journalists who try

to give an accurate account of the facts, which pain me greatly as

a publisher of newspapers of mass information. The job of a

journalist is to inform the uninformed but it appears that your

programme took advantage of the limited knowledge of the average

American viewer on Nigeria.

It appears to me, however, that the American public is much

brighter and much more questioning than you give them credit for as

evidenced by the excellent article on the December 12, 1983 edition

of Time Magazine entitled "Journalism Under Fire". It was notable

in that article, which probed the low esteem in which the Press was

held in the United States and illustrated the dramatic reduction in

confidence in the Press from an already low just under 30% in 1976

to 13.7% in 1983, singled out your programme "60 Minutes" as one

which promotes the "posture of perennial mistrust".

I do not intend to dwell at too great a length on the general

inaccuracies, exaggerations and half-truths which you have spewed

out to an unsuspecting public. I rather want to comment on some

specifics. When you infer that uninterrupted power supplies for

computer systems is unique to Nigeria because of our unreliable

power supply, you are wrong. All large computer systems in the

United States and throughout the world also are powered by

uninterrupted power supplies. As any engineering student is aware,

the entire memory of a computer can be lost through just a

momentary power interruption so they are powered through a battery

to an inverter. The battery is not an automobile battery which you

so incorrectly stated but a large capacity industrial battery.

Which of your viewers would have believed that the batteries you

pictured were "automobile" batteries?

To infer that all of Nigeria's modern telecommunications

equipment were housed in the NET (Nigerian External

Telecommunications) building is totally wrong. That building

houses only one of the present two gateway switches for connection

to the outside world. The other is in Kaduna. Within the Lagos

metropolitan area alone, there are fourteen local telephone

exchanges none of which is located in the NET building. By the

way, the NET building was not the headquarters of the Ministry of

Communications and did not house the office of the Honourable

Minister as you reported. The highest ranking official having

offices there was the NET Managing Director. The NET Chairman

might have had an office there, but he was not intended to be a

full-time Chairman.

You talked of our Lagos traffic and our famous "go-slows"

giving as an example the airport to downtown Lagos. This may be

true occasionally but is certainly not the usual condition. Most

people can travel between the airport and Victoria Island, which,

as you know, is beyond downtown Lagos, in under one hour except for

the morning rush hour and even then it rarely takes more than one

and a half hours. I find traffic in New York or Washington during

the morning and evening rush hours to be worse than Lagos.

To state that businessmen carry attache cases full of one

hundred dollar bills which they hand out to get things done is the

height of inaccurate reporting. I do not doubt that some

unscrupulous businessmen, especially expatriate ones, give this

form of "dash" but such a practice, not only being illegal in both

my country and yours, would be most foolhardy considering the

increasing incidents of armed robbery. What better target for

robbers than an attache case full of cash, in hundred dollar bills!

A statement such as this sounds more like expatriate bar-room talk

at the Eko Hotel than reality.

Likewise your comments about housing rents. Most certainly

the rent for housing in the Lagos area is exorbitant by any

standards, driven up in the past several years by expatriate firms

operating with a gold-rush, construction-camp mentality but your

statements about the magnitude of the rents is pure fantasy.

Possibly a few very large houses with special features may rent for

the equivalent of $150,000 per year with the rent paid three years

in advance as you stated but the average house, even on Victoria

Island, rents for the equivalent of Naira 50,000-55,000 per year

(which is the equivalent of $68,000 to $74,000 per year) with the

rent paid two years in advance. Apartments average $40,000 to

$50,000 per year. These rents are high enough without your gross

exaggeration and if correctly reported would have accomplished your

purpose without leaving your comments open to question. Maybe some

rents are paid to foreign bank accounts as you reported but if so

it would be only the rare exception - not the rule. This is a very

foolish and illegal act which could have severe repercussions for

both parties to such an arrangement. I head two companies which

together employ 300 expatriates and we have never been asked to pay

nor have we ever paid any rents to a foreign bank account.

As you reported, Mr. Dele Giwa is the editor of one of my

newspapers, the "Sunday Concord", a member of the Concord Group of

Newspapers. He is, of course, entitled to his opinion. I take

issue, however, with his comments on corruption. I agree that

there is corruption within our government and that it is one of our

biggest problems but again as with most of the information in your

programme, the comments exaggerate the truth. To say that

ministers receive tens of millions of Naira, or even dollars for

that matter and that anyone stealing less than one million Naira

feels that it is too small to even talk about is just not only

ridiculous but unreal. For that matter, who are those who would be

foolish enough to talk about money they stole or received

illegally. If Mr. Giwa has firm evidence of misdoings of this

magnitude, it is his duty as a responsible journalist and a

patriotic Nigerian to bring it to the attention of the public and

not to accuse unnamed officials by innuendo. I know that Dele Giwa

has enough courage, if he has the facts, to name names and give

details. One wonders why he did not do so on "60 minutes" or

elsewhere since.

You failed completely in your task of informing the American

public of our problems, and we certainly do have many. For

example, your programme was silent totally on the near-total

dominance of foreign companies in the Nigeria economy, an unhealthy

situation. These problems are not necessarily unique to Nigeria,

as you seem to infer, but are applicable to other developing

countries which have permitted their economies to be dominated by

a single product the market for which fell apart. These problems

are also caused by expatriate businessmen who adopt a hit-and-run

approach to their business in Nigeria. Or, expatriate firms who,

not content with the millions they make as "consultants" also play

the double role of "contractors", usually on the same jobs. They

may use different names, at times, but in some cases, they are so

confident that they use the same name in both activities. This

pork-barrel situation is found in several Ministries and hundreds

of millions of Naira get drained away by the process. "60 Minutes"

did not investigate these glaring cases of graft probably because

the principal actors are foreigners or because they did not make

many headlines in our local papers. An in-depth analysis of that

subject must go behind the headlines to get the full facts of the

situation. It is sad but true that most Nigerians do not know the

full facts about the devils that haunt our beloved country. The

point I am making is that the real "deals" in Nigeria are

masterminded by foreigners, who later turn round to give a nasty

impression of "corruption in Nigeria" - a case of the pot calling

the kettle black.

It is these same expatriates who drive the price of properties

to the roof. To ensure privacy, they take whole houses "at any

cost" although they live in them no more than one month in the

year. For the rest of the year, the posh "guest houses", as they

are called, are used as perks by their Nigerian accomplices for all

manners of things. Some expatriates take longish long-term leases

in hotels although they hardly occupy the suites. They largely

cause the high prices they complain about. Yes, these double-

dealers ride on the back of a few unpatriotic Nigerians, often

former top civil servants and greedy politicians, but most of the

windfall are carted away by these sharp foreign operators thousands

of miles from our shores. Because former top civil servants are

involved, that guarantees the ready "co-operation" of their former

junior colleagues still in the service at various levels, including

the Central Bank and Ministry of Finance. These expatriates of all

lines are the purveyors of corruption in developing countries. It

is sad that "60 minutes" made no mention of these sources of

corrupt practices in our Society.

The effects in Nigeria are magnified because of our large and

growing population - one of every four Africans is a Nigerian. But

you missed completely the excellent opportunity which you had to

explore this situation, how it came about and what corrective

efforts are being taken or can be taken. Instead you dealt in

sensationalism which accomplished nothing. What can be gained by

giving the American public an inaccurate view of Nigeria?

Certainly, we have problems, our economy is in shambles and

corruption - although not as bad or blatant as you pictured it -

does exist. I, and other thinking Nigerians do not condone this

but look at our pluses. In the 23 years since independence and 14

years since the end of a disastrous civil war, the military

government voluntarily turned over the reins to a freely elected

civilian government. Despite glaring, generally partisan electoral

malpractices which I am, by no means, glossing over, we can still

make some claim to be the largest democracy in Africa with a multi-

party system. Unlike some other countries in the third world,

Nigeria will never have a "Life President". We have a Press that

is constitutionally as free as any. In the past 8 years, we have

dramatically improved our highway system, enlarged and modernised

our ports, expanded our telephone network five fold, expanded our

power system four fold, built three refineries and are well on our

way towards establishment of our own steel industry and

industrialisation. Most of these have been done haphazardly, but

some progress has been made. Yes, several projects have been

mismanaged; yes, we have spent more than needed on other projects

and yes, some projects may have been unnecessary but wasn't the

same true in the United States not only during the industrial

expansion after your own civil war but even now with the multi-

billion dollar defence expenditure, which merely go to worsen the

U.S. budget deficit from one year to the other to the detriment of

the entire world financial structure? We recognise our excesses,

which were really excesses of a handful of people, to whom the good

name of Nigeria does not appear to mean much, and who, at the

appropriate time, will be dealt with, by the Grace of God.

The sad thing, however, is that their expatriate accomplices

always get away scot-free with their loot. We do not excuse them

and in time these will be corrected but we also recognize our

accomplishments and have every reason to hold our heads high.

END

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Kunle

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
I said recently that the west (America especially) did not want Abiola
as
president of Nigeria. Someone said I was talking rubbish. I sincerely
hope
those still saying he (Abiola) was not forced to "step down" will start
open their minds with more information like this coming in.

Thanks, Mr. Oyedeji, for posting this.

Kunle Adegboye.

Marta Wiliams

Feb 4, 2024, 11:46:14 PMFeb 4
✅🔴▶️▶ Really Amazing ️You Can Try This ◀️◀️🔴✅

✅▶️▶️ CLICK HERE Full HD✅720p✅1080p✅4K✅

WATCH ✅💻📺📱👉https://co.fastmovies.org

ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ ✅📺📱💻👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

✅WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

💚WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

💚 Really Amazing ️You Can Try This💚WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>
🔴ALL>Movies>ALL>TIME>HITE>Save>LINK👉https://co.fastmovies.org

💚CLICK HERE Full HD>720p>1080p>4K💚WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>
🔴ALL>Movies>ALL>TIME>HITE>Save>LINK👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴💻ALL>Movies>WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org