leylines in new zealand

Jolisa Gracewood

May 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/26/97

In article <338B21...@netlink.co.nz>, cpr...@netlink.co.nz wrote:

> mark skelding wrote:
> >
> > i am interested in the mytyhs and traditions around land and travel.
> > the brits have ley-lines
[snip]
> > these share the concept of linking sites of cultural, social or
> > spiritual significance, and i don't rule out the idea that there
> > may be some parallel with the body meridians of acupuncture etc
[snipped by Cliff but restored by me]

> > and there seems to be little local knowledge about these in new
> > zealand. does anyone have any leads?
> >
> In New Zealand they are called "fault-lines". 8-)

And Cliff, don't forget the power-lines. It's really weird, and I know
there are some hard-core doubters out there (OK, Owen, come on man, I can
take it, my aura is a resilient shade of purple this week) but they do
seem to connect sites of cultural, social, or spiritual significance.
Like, cities, and towns and stuff.

No, really! I was a sceptic at first, but a physicist friend who is,
like, open to Other Ways of Knowing, explained that it was all about
electrical and magnetic fields, which come together at particularly
powerful points. Awesome! (Thanks, Richard - peace and love, big guy).

And you can, like, follow them all over the country. Just by swinging a
crystal, or meditating, or even just looking up every now and then for
signs in the skies. Cosmic! (I prefer to wear rubber gumboots when I'm
following the lines -- in pre-urban greenspaces there are some near ground
level that kick like a mule. Travel with a canine non-human companion
animal: they instinctively avoid the dangerous lines coz they're more in
touch with nature.)

There's probably even a map of the major lines somewhere, but I bet the
government fascists will charge you for a copy, if they don't just
suppress it altogether.

I personally have felt particularly excellent vibes from the line that
connects Benmore and Christchurch, but then it *was* winter and I did have
a waterbed. And my cat was healed of a tummy bug by sleeping on the bed
and tuning his purring to the current. (Damn, I miss him, but it's cool
'cos my spirit guide tells me he's been reincarnated as a tamagotchi on
the strength of it).

But like, Mark, if you want leads, man, then be really really careful not
to stick them straight in the wall socket.

Good vibes,

Jolisa,
going with the flow & wired to current alternative knowledges, in the Most
Enlightened Town in the USA: Ithaca, New York.

mark skelding

May 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/27/97

hi

i am interested in the mytyhs and traditions around land and travel.

the brits have ley-lines, the chinese dragonlines, the australian
aboriges have songlines, and i have heard talk of medicine lines in
the states.

these share the concept of linking sites of cultural, social or
spiritual significance, and i don't rule out the idea that there may

be some parallel with the body meridians of acupuncture etc.

and there seems to be little local knowledge about these in new
zealand. does anyone have any leads?

thanks.
mark

Cliff Pratt

May 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/27/97

mark skelding wrote:

> hi
>
> i am interested in the mytyhs and traditions around land and travel.
> the brits have ley-lines, the chinese dragonlines, the australian
> aboriges have songlines, and i have heard talk of medicine lines in
> the states.
>
> and there seems to be little local knowledge about these in new
> zealand. does anyone have any leads?

In New Zealand they are called "fault-lines". 8-)

Cliff

Tony Williams

May 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/27/97

In article <338B21...@netlink.co.nz>, Cliff Pratt

Off-topic for s.c.n-z, Telescum threads belong in nz.comp.
--
[Tony Williams, Ledbury, Herefordshire, UK.---Pagewidth=64-----]

Lyndon Watson

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

In article <338B78...@pec.co.nzZ>,
Frank van der Hulst <fra...@pec.co.nzZ> writes:

> Jolisa Gracewood wrote:
>> I personally have felt particularly excellent vibes from the line that
>> connects Benmore and Christchurch, but then it *was* winter and I did have
>> a waterbed.
>
> You have a vibrating waterbed?
>
>> Good vibes,
>
> I'll bet!

Frank, you've spending too much time lately in alt.tasteless (yes, the
Cabal^H^H^H^H^H Old Farts are watching).

Could be right, though, if it was the Cook Strait line. That one's DC
and a bit short on wavular emanations, like, and Jolisa would have to
make her own vibes. Not that I'm implying that Jolisa is AC or DC or
anything, or whether she needs a physicist to, like,

Beam me up, Scotty.

Lyndon Watson L.Wa...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz

Owen McShane

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

Jolisa Gracewood,jm...@cornell.edu,Internet writes:
> But like, Mark, if you want leads, man, then be really really careful not
> to stick them straight in the wall socket.
>
> Good vibes,
>
> Jolisa,

I always thought that a "lay line" was one that worked.

Owen

Frank van der Hulst

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

Jolisa Gracewood wrote:
> I personally have felt particularly excellent vibes from the line that
> connects Benmore and Christchurch, but then it *was* winter and I did have
> a waterbed.

You have a vibrating waterbed?

> Good vibes,

I'll bet!

Frank.

fra...@pec.co.nzZ (without the anti-email-spam Z, of course)
http://www.pec.co.nz/~frankv/
Frank van der Hulst, Software Engineer, Cardax, PEC(NZ) Ltd, Marton
"Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass; A good bookshop is just a genteel
Black Hole that knows how to read". Terry Pratchett, "Guards! Guards!"

Jolisa Gracewood

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

Frank van der Hulst <fra...@pec.co.nzZ> writes:
> > Jolisa Gracewood wrote:
> >> I personally have felt particularly excellent vibes from the line that
> >> connects Benmore and Christchurch, but then it *was* winter and I did have
> >> a waterbed.
> >
> > You have a vibrating waterbed?

Only when the cat rolled over or big trucks went past on Riccarton Rd. It
was Chch, not LA.

> >> Good vibes,
> >
> > I'll bet!

Sigh. The vile insinuations we alternative knowledge-workers are subject
to. Mock on, OK, but meanwhile, I'm listening to my crystals in Ithaca,
and trying to figure out if the lines that connect nuclear power stations
to each other make for better or worse meridians... I'm guessing better
vibes and worse karma, but my experiments are still in progress. Keep an
eye out for my paradigm-shifting, earth-moving paper in Leylines Rev. B.

Pass the Ben & Jerry's,

Jolisa,
dedicated to my research in Ithaca, NY.

Jolisa Gracewood

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

Owen McShane <omcs...@dt.netgate.co.nz> wrote:

> I always thought that a "lay line" was one that worked.

So, in answer to the original inquiry, we don't have them in NZ because we
don't need 'em. I mean, we're all such studly and warrior-princess types
that we don't need to work extra hard at picking people up, right?

But why, then, in the US (according to our original inquirer), are they
called medicine lines??

Jolisa,
writing from Prozac country, where the locals take drugs to make them feel
*normal*.

Jolisa Gracewood

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

Lyndon Watson <L.Wa...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> > Jolisa Gracewood wrote:
> >> I personally have felt particularly excellent vibes from the line that
> >> connects Benmore and Christchurch, but then it *was* winter and I did have
> >> a waterbed.

> Could be right, though, if it was the Cook Strait line. That one's DC

> and a bit short on wavular emanations, like, and Jolisa would have to
> make her own vibes. Not that I'm implying that Jolisa is AC or DC or
> anything, or whether she needs a physicist to, like,

... er, well, p'raps I'd better neither confirm nor deny anything at this
point, in the interest of preserving my resilient purple aura. But I must
say I've always found physicists to be particularly sympathetic to the
awesome potential of wavular emanations... not to mention spectral
perturbations and slow rolling approximations. Woooooorrrr!

But speaking of vibes and waterbeds and powerlines and faultlines, I once
heard a story about an earthquake (maybe the Edgecumbe one?) in which a
waterbed mattress was wavulated (cool word, Lyndon) to the point where it
flew out of its frame and through a window, and landed, intact but still
wobbling, on the front lawn. But I don't know whether or not anyone was,
er, vibing on it at the time, or what happened to them. Maybe aliens took
advantage of the confusion (and the powerful intersection of lines &
vibes) to snap up a few more experimental samples?

Angling for a scriptwriting gig for the X-Files, in Ithaca NY,

Jolisa

mark skelding

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

Well, it was a fairly straightforward question, and it has led the
newsgroup into some fascinating areas. Its good to see scepticism is
alive and well in this particular thread. I think its called
"flatland'....

however, jolisa gracewood seems to have picked up on a rich vein.
could it be that whilst the antipodeans get a lay, in the states its a
real tonic?

mark [the original inquirer}

Richard Easther

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

On Thu, 29 May 1997, mark skelding wrote: (re ley-lines)

> Well, it was a fairly straightforward question, and it has led the
> newsgroup into some fascinating areas. Its good to see scepticism is
> alive and well in this particular thread. I think its called
> "flatland'....

Man, be careful using words like "sceptical" and "flatland" - they are
charged with a negative vibes, and using them carelessly could really
disrupt the aura of someone reading this.

It is really groovy that you are seeking after knowledge, though. But,
after you have followed the power-lines that stretch across the curved,
nurturing body of Mother Earth you will appreciate that we are not living
in flatland. Even modern physics confirms the traditional wisdom here: it
tells us that space itself is curved, which really is a cosmic
coincidence.

Mark, get in touch with your power-animal, man, and go out and follow the
lines for yourself.

Richard, tuning his crystal-set.

Cliff Pratt

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

Jolisa Gracewood wrote:

> [snipped by Cliff but restored by me]

Fair go! I was kidding! 8-(

> > In New Zealand they are called "fault-lines". 8-)
>

> And Cliff, don't forget the power-lines. It's really weird, and I know
> there are some hard-core doubters out there (OK, Owen, come on man, I can
> take it, my aura is a resilient shade of purple this week) but they do
> seem to connect sites of cultural, social, or spiritual significance.
> Like, cities, and towns and stuff.

I make no comment on this except that I don't subscribe.

Cliff

Miche

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

In article <jmg24-28059...@cu-dialup-0081.cit.cornell.edu>
jm...@cornell.edu (Jolisa Gracewood) writes:

> But speaking of vibes and waterbeds and powerlines and faultlines, I once
> heard a story about an earthquake (maybe the Edgecumbe one?) in which a
> waterbed mattress was wavulated (cool word, Lyndon) to the point where it
> flew out of its frame and through a window, and landed, intact but still
> wobbling, on the front lawn. But I don't know whether or not anyone was,
> er, vibing on it at the time, or what happened to them.

Then there was the guy out fishing on Lake Manapouri when an earthquake
hit. The epicentre of the earthquake was right under the lake; the
dinghy was thrown straight up about 10 feet and landed in exactly the
same place!

(And you're right - wavulate is a brilliant word!)

Miche

--------------------
Miche Campbell
Remove <no-ads.> in address before emailing me.
My opinions are mine alone, not those of the University of Otago
BREAKFAST.COM Halted...Cereal Port Not Responding

Cliff Pratt

May 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/31/97

Jolisa Gracewood wrote:

> But why, then, in the US (according to our original inquirer), are they
> called medicine lines??

I'm not sure if you fishing or not. If so, I'll take the bait!

They are called medicine lines, because they were "heap big medicine"!

Cliff

hes...@oregontrail.net

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

In article <33901105...@actrix.gen.nz>,

Although I cannot access your newsgroup directly, I enjoy following many
of your threads, including this one, through the Deja News archive. I
found myself feeling a bit sad over this post. The rest, dealing with
hilarious puns on 20th century technologies, is so funny. I can tell you
that "medicine lines" is a con-line, spurious, imported and imposed.
"Heap big medicine" is a Hollywood-script-line, and one wanting in
understanding of and respect for pre-invasion cultures, let alone the
difficulties of conceptual translation, especially compounded by
interlanguage (linguistic) translation errors. I realize no one "meant
any harm". This is a way, however, in which intercultural misconceptions
are displayed and perpetuated. Best,

Marnia

David Frame

Jun 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/3/97

In article hes...@oregontrail.net writes:

> In article Cliff Pratt <cli...@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>> Jolisa Gracewood wrote:

>> > But why, then, in the US (according to our original inquirer), are they
>> > called medicine lines??

>> They are called medicine lines, because they were "heap big medicine"!

> hilarious puns on 20th century technologies, is so funny. I can tell

> you that "medicine lines" is a con-line, spurious, imported and imposed.
> "Heap big medicine" is a Hollywood-script-line, and one wanting in
> understanding of and respect for pre-invasion cultures, let alone the
> difficulties of conceptual translation, especially compounded by
> interlanguage (linguistic) translation errors. I realize no one "meant
> any harm". This is a way, however, in which intercultural misconceptions
> are displayed and perpetuated.

Cool. Just when I was beginning to think there were no more caricatures
of political correctness out there, you come along and restore my faith.
All I've been seeing lately on the caricature front are ``when I speak
spittle flies from my mouth'' libertarians of a Randian shade. Nice to
know there are still some people who have a sensational command of the
multiple-hypen-word, the dramatic prefix and the very handy interthingie
thingumijig.

Also, it's very cool how the thread was funny till the piss was taken
out of something _you_ liked. Nice touch.

Dave Frame

hes...@oregontrail.net

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

In article <1997Jun3.150030@cantva>,

David Frame <d.f...@phys.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> In article hes...@oregontrail.net writes:
> > In article Cliff Pratt <cli...@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

(Many snips re "heap big medicine lines")
(To which Dave Frame replies)

> Cool. Just when I was beginning to think there were no more caricatures
> of political correctness out there, you come along and restore my faith.
> All I've been seeing lately on the caricature front are ``when I speak
> spittle flies from my mouth'' libertarians of a Randian shade. Nice to
> know there are still some people who have a sensational command of the
> multiple-hypen-word, the dramatic prefix and the very handy interthingie
> thingumijig.
>
> Also, it's very cool how the thread was funny till the piss was taken
> out of something _you_ liked. Nice touch.
>
> Dave Frame

Delighted to oblige, Dave. Few folks are so quick on the pick-up,
especially in print (oops, "e-text"). I must pass on the compliment,
though. I'm well aware that I have no power to dispiss the truly funny.
By the by, enjoyed your book plug and links awhile back. Best, Marnia

hes...@oregontrail.net

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

In article <1997Jun3.150030@cantva>,
David Frame <d.f...@phys.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> In article hes...@oregontrail.net writes:

> >> They are called medicine lines, because they were "heap big medicine"!
>
> > hilarious puns on 20th century technologies, is so funny. I can tell
> > you that "medicine lines" is a con-line, spurious, imported and imposed.
> > "Heap big medicine" is a Hollywood-script-line, and one wanting in
> > understanding of and respect for pre-invasion cultures, let alone the
> > difficulties of conceptual translation, especially compounded by
> > interlanguage (linguistic) translation errors. I realize no one "meant
> > any harm". This is a way, however, in which intercultural misconceptions
> > are displayed and perpetuated.
>
> Cool. Just when I was beginning to think there were no more caricatures
> of political correctness out there, you come along and restore my faith.
> All I've been seeing lately on the caricature front are ``when I speak
> spittle flies from my mouth'' libertarians of a Randian shade. Nice to
> know there are still some people who have a sensational command of the
> multiple-hypen-word, the dramatic prefix and the very handy interthingie
> thingumijig.
>
> Also, it's very cool how the thread was funny till the piss was taken
> out of something _you_ liked. Nice touch.
>
> Dave Frame

Oh and by the by Jolisa no doubt knows. Here the lines of power and all
their spurs imported and imposed are only Pacific Power and Light. In
NY, are they not Con-(m)Edison?

Noeline McCaughan

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

Miche (michelle...@no-ads.stonebow.otago.ac.nz) wrote:

: Then there was the guy out fishing on Lake Manapouri when an earthquake

: hit. The epicentre of the earthquake was right under the lake; the
: dinghy was thrown straight up about 10 feet and landed in exactly the
: same place!

Ermm Pedant alert!! It was actually lake Te Anau, the gent himself was onshore
at the time but his boat was in the water. Otherwise you got the story
right.:-)

: (And you're right - wavulate is a brilliant word!)

I'll second that it so aptly describes the sort of flivvering that occurs in
such a situation.

Noeline.

Jolisa Gracewood

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

> Oh and by the by Jolisa no doubt knows. Here the lines of power and all
> their spurs imported and imposed are only Pacific Power and Light. In
> NY, are they not Con-(m)Edison?

Hmmm.. as far as I know, we get our vibes from the awkardly named NYSEG (I
think they went to the same acronym supplier as SLORC), which, come to
think of it, does sound like a nasty emetic medicine.

BTW, I don't quite know how the thread veered off onto John Wayne movie
Indian stereotypes - I thought the (not particularly covert) point of this
one was the generic loopiness of new age wanna-be-native types, who seem
to latch onto indigenous and/or ancient beliefs and practices as somehow
more authentic than their own. Not that they shouldn't be allowed to or
anything, but it often tends towards the credulous and/or neocolonialist
(I put that word in for Dave :).

It also seems to rest on locking one's idea of "natives" into a timeless
space of pure "nativeness," so their culture can be plundered for lovely
stories and drumming rituals and close-to-the-earth-ness, instead of being
recognized as the living, organic, changing, challenging and mutually
negotiated thing that "our" culture is allowed to be.

Witness the international coverage of the Spice Girls/haka thingy, in
which Willie Jackson was portrayed as some sort of cannibal chief
threatening the "Girls" with the stewpot treatment for demeaning his
"sacred dances." No mention was made of the more positive responses from
young Maori and Pakeha, or of Jackson's reponse on the Holmes show.
Instead, it was all about big globalized capital mass culture (in the form
of a multicultural bunch of singing women from London) hassling poor
little patriarchal natives.

We heard nothing about the big interesting questions, like how that
particular haka is part of a wider vocabulary of nationalism/ sporting
pride/ patrimony/ blokeness, or how there are haka for women and why Maori
women might have had different things to say about the whole thing, or how
local cultural politics in Aotearoa/NZ are being expressed via imported
musical forms like rap and hip hop and reggae, or how ... oh, I'll stop
there, so Dave or someone can hassle me for my postmodern cultural
constructivism.

Anyway, *are* there leylines in NZ?! Maybe connecting that silly Kaimanawa
wall-thingy with the Beehive or something?

Jolisa,

participant-observer in a town where at times the locals seem more tuned
in to commercially packaged spiritual aspects of Native American culture
than to the real-live politics of the Onondaga Nation up the road.

Cliff Pratt

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

hes...@oregontrail.net wrote:

> > > "Heap big medicine" is a Hollywood-script-line, and one wanting in
> > > understanding of and respect for pre-invasion cultures, let alone the
> > > difficulties of conceptual translation, especially compounded by
> > > interlanguage (linguistic) translation errors..

I haven't yet seen your original reply, Marnia, but it was my
intent to ridicule the "Hollywood tradition", by putting the
thing in quotes.

However I stand by my contention that they are called medicine
lines because they were powerful, and the Hollywood tradition
although not PC was based on fact. The Native American word
or phrase that is translated as "medicine" in the pigeon
language developed for communication between races, has
connotations that "power" and that is all that I meant.

Cliff

Miche

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

In article <noelin...@styx.southern.co.nz>
noe...@styx.southern.co.nz (Noeline McCaughan) writes:

> Miche (michelle...@no-ads.stonebow.otago.ac.nz) wrote:
>
> : Then there was the guy out fishing on Lake Manapouri when an earthquake
> : hit. The epicentre of the earthquake was right under the lake; the
> : dinghy was thrown straight up about 10 feet and landed in exactly the
> : same place!
>
> Ermm Pedant alert!! It was actually lake Te Anau, the gent himself was onshore
> at the time but his boat was in the water. Otherwise you got the story
> right.:-)

Thanks Noeline. I'll have to tell this to him as told me... :)

Cliff Pratt

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

Jolisa Gracewood wrote:

> BTW, I don't quite know how the thread veered off onto John Wayne movie
> Indian stereotypes - I thought the (not particularly covert) point of this
> one was the generic loopiness of new age wanna-be-native types, who seem
> to latch onto indigenous and/or ancient beliefs and practices as somehow
> more authentic than their own..

Via the question as to why "leylines" are called "medicine" lines in US
thence to a tongue in cheek complaint about the use of "heap big
medicine".

Its funny how threads mutate, innit!

Cliff

arachne

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

On Wed, 04 Jun 1997 14:23:54 -0400, jm...@cornell.edu (Jolisa
Gracewood) wrote:

>Anyway, *are* there leylines in NZ?! Maybe connecting that silly Kaimanawa
>wall-thingy with the Beehive or something?

Personally I reckon that one runs directly from Brian in Wellington to
Noeline (still) in Timaru.

mj
Women who strive for equality with men lack ambition.

Please note - to reply via email,
remove the ".nospam" from the end of my address.
http://www.communications.uci.edu/~inform/mj/arachne.html

hes...@oregontrail.net

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

In article <jmg24-04069...@cu-dialup-0022.cit.cornell.edu>,

jm...@cornell.edu (Jolisa Gracewood) wrote:

> In article <8654406...@dejanews.com>, hes...@oregontrail.net wrote:
>
> > Oh and by the by Jolisa no doubt knows. Here the lines of power and all
> > their spurs imported and imposed are only Pacific Power and Light. In
> > NY, are they not Con-(m)Edison?

(snip. Jolisa wrote)

> Indian stereotypes - I thought the (not particularly covert) point of this
> one was the generic loopiness of new age wanna-be-native types, who seem
> to latch onto indigenous and/or ancient beliefs and practices as somehow

> more authentic than their own. Not that they shouldn't be allowed to or

> anything, but it often tends towards the credulous (...)

Yo! Perzactly! Thought this was so well & widely understood as to be a
Given.

> It also seems to rest on locking one's idea of "natives" into a timeless
> space of pure "nativeness," so their culture can be plundered for lovely
> stories and drumming rituals and close-to-the-earth-ness, instead of being
> recognized as the living, organic, changing, challenging and mutually
> negotiated thing that "our" culture is allowed to be.

Yup. A con on a con. Also thought this was etc. Stereotypic notions of
"medicine=power" + above con tied laterally to electric utility lines
owned in NYC by Con-Edison=Con-(m)Edison. So what's the emoticon for
poker-face-with-wicked-gleam-in-eye? (Hyphens for Dave!)

Best from the Wallowas, home of the Nez Perce until Chief Joseph's War,

Noeline McCaughan

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

Miche (michelle...@no-ads.stonebow.otago.ac.nz) wrote:

: Thanks Noeline. I'll have to tell this to him as told me... :)

Funny that :-/ I was merely repeating what the Newspapers said at the time,
now you *surely* aren't going to tell me that a member of the news media got
it wrong?

\ /
0
/o\

\________/

'' '' ''
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Noeline.

Miche

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

In article <noelin...@styx.southern.co.nz>
noe...@styx.southern.co.nz (Noeline McCaughan) writes:

> : Thanks Noeline. I'll have to tell this to him as told me... :)
>
> Funny that :-/ I was merely repeating what the Newspapers said at the time,
> now you *surely* aren't going to tell me that a member of the news media got
> it wrong?

Nope. Not news media. Ex-boyfriend (and now good mate).

Miche

--------------------
Miche Campbell
ITS Tutor-Supervisor and Junior Screwdriver

Remove <no-ads.> in address before emailing me.
My opinions are mine alone, not those of the University of Otago

You say Chaos like it's a *bad* thing!

Lin Nah

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

Noeline McCaughan (noe...@styx.southern.co.nz) wrote:
: Finally there is the one that ends at my front door, I cannot see it myself
: but it draws quite a few folk from afar, they arrive with a famished look and
: hopeful expression.

8)
I hope they sometimes offer to walk the ferrets for you (if they can move
after the feast).

Lin

David Frame

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

In article jm...@cornell.edu (Jolisa Gracewood) writes:

> It also seems to rest on locking one's idea of "natives" into a timeless
> space of pure "nativeness," so their culture can be plundered for lovely
> stories and drumming rituals and close-to-the-earth-ness, instead of being
> recognized as the living, organic, changing, challenging and mutually
> negotiated thing that "our" culture is allowed to be.

This is a really good point, I reckon. It's one that always occurs to
me when people refuse to criticise anything Maori. Unless guarded
against, the arguments about acts needing to be judged within their
own cultural framework can rapidly degenerate into a sort of
patronising, uncritical praise. I think this is more common than the
advocates of cultural relativism acknowledge. Sort of a ``poor dears,
they don't know any better and they haven't read Foucault'' kind of
thing. Basically it's exactly the sort of patronising colonialism
(hope you don't mind if I drop the prefix - I've used my daily quota)
that they complain about.

> We heard nothing about the big interesting questions, like how that
> particular haka is part of a wider vocabulary of nationalism/ sporting
> pride/ patrimony/ blokeness, or how there are haka for women and why Maori
> women might have had different things to say about the whole thing, or how
> local cultural politics in Aotearoa/NZ are being expressed via imported
> musical forms like rap and hip hop and reggae, or how ... oh, I'll stop
> there, so Dave or someone can hassle me for my postmodern cultural
> constructivism.

No, I think you're right, these are interesting questions. I'm not
sure you and I would necessarily agree about them, but I do think
they're interesting.

Dave Frame

Noeline McCaughan

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

Miche (michelle...@no-ads.stonebow.otago.ac.nz) wrote:
: In article <noelin...@styx.southern.co.nz>
: noe...@styx.southern.co.nz (Noeline McCaughan) writes:

: > : Thanks Noeline. I'll have to tell this to him as told me... :)
: >
: > Funny that :-/ I was merely repeating what the Newspapers said at the time,
: > now you *surely* aren't going to tell me that a member of the news media got
: > it wrong?

: Nope. Not news media. Ex-boyfriend (and now good mate).

Er I meant my source not yours :-)

Noeline.

Noeline McCaughan

Jun 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/13/97

Brian Harmer (bha...@matai.vuw.ac.nz) wrote:
: On Mon, 9 Jun 97 21:14:58 +1200, noe...@styx.southern.co.nz (Noeline McCaughan)
: wrote:

: >Finally there is the one that ends at my front door, I cannot see it myself
: >but it draws quite a few folk from afar, they arrive with a famished look and
: >hopeful expression.

: Actually that one has been calling me for a while, but it never puts the ferry
: ticket in my pocket :-(

Sigh. Then why don't you just walk? It works for me, try it, you may be
pleasantly surprised.

It looks likw I'll just have to start out one day and start rolling it up from
my end.... I'm working on it.

Noeline.