Balancing TABLE tags

Kees van den Doel

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
In article <tstG4.89$r25....@news.tufts.edu>,
Kirk Is <kis...@andante.cs.tufts.edu> wrote:

>Here's an idea for a project I'm thinking of trying... in my job I have to
>scriptify a bunch of Dreamweaver created HTML. Sometimes the table
>structures are pretty hairy... I often find myself wishing for something
>that does to TABLEs, TRs, and TDs what emacs does to parens and braces- or
>better yet a tool that can do that PLUS show me what TABLE a TR belongs
>to, and what TR a TD belongs to. For an interface I was thinking of cut
>and paste, all I need is an editbox and a program that can read in the
>text, has reasonable memory constructs to store the damn table layout, and
>can read and set the cursor position in the editbox. So you could put the
>cursor on any table element, find it's partner, and find its encompassing
>element. Does something that does this exist for free already? What
>languages have that cursor positioning ability? VB probably does,
>Javascript might not.

"Languages" with "cursor positioning ability"?

Perhaps MILITARY-ENGLISH: "PUT THAT CURSOR T H E R E YOU FILTHY MAGGOT
OR ELSE GIVE ME 100!!!!!!"?

>I've just seen what I think is the perfect physical object hack, but it's
>not trivial to describe accurately: basically, my teamlead at work is
>using one of those black binder paperclips to keep the plug for StarTac
>from falling through the desk. She has the plug threaded through that
>little "cable hole" in one corner of her desk. The trouble was the hole
>was a bit wider than the plug, so when the phone wasn't plugged in it was
>likely to fall through, and she was sick of retrieving, and having to ask
>for help (someone grabbing the plug as she pushed it up from under the
>desk) One of those black binder clips, with the big jaw hinge, and the
>wire handles that swingup to provide leverage, and swing back to lie
>against the paper...
>
>http://www.staples.com/images/products/catalog/products/271759_std.jpg
>
>...anyway, when the handles are together, there's plenty of room to put
>the StarTac plug in, but when they swing along the sides of the triangle,
>the remaining gap doesn't let the plug pass through. The binder clip is
>too big to pass through the hole for the cables, so the plug now stays on
>top of the desk.
>
>I like this hack- unlike a lot of other similar hacks, it's easily
>reversible, no glue or duct tape needed. It does the job in a fairly
>attractive way- my team lead was lucky the sizes of the three parts were
>so right. It just feels like it was "meant to be"

Interesting. It was not too difficult to figure out what on earth a
"StarTac" is (it's a brand of telephone) , though I first thought this
had something to do with the "StarTrek" TV show.

ObOldSomeoneelsesHack:
People kept getting wet rears when they sat down on their toilets,
unless they were really really fat . It's kinda difficult to describe
this exactly, without being, you know,..., *gross*. Anyways, one day a
smart farmer took the thingy from his plow-horse, which looks like the
punchline of this joke, which is why I can't be more explicit, le'ts
call it a HorseTac, and put it on top of his toilet and sat on it and
did his thing and did not fall through for once, and did not need to
suffer the embarassment of asking for help to retrieve himself.

Kees (And Timna was convicted scout 340 2 delen in evenredig is drying
it strictly speaking from a reproach and Swedish are generally a
Batens Christof 16 lessen te antwoorden, voorgesteld daar effe
niet Oeroeboeroe moet VEMEDEN worden.)

Kees van den Doel

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
In article <38eabfa3$1...@rcfnews.cs.umass.edu>,
H.Shrikumar <sh...@cs.umass.edu> wrote:

>I need something this time, hope you guys can help me. I need a 5
>gallon spring water bottle, plastic -- only, I want it to be
>fully colourless transparent and not tinted blue like all the
>ones I see here at the grocery are. Also I want them with as
>little ripples and roughings on the sides that affect clarity of
>seeing the fish inside.. since this is to build an
>aquarium-in-the-drinking-water hack.
>
>I promise I will describe the hack completely, with pictures, if
>you folks help me find three such bottles.
>
>(I know they must exist: they are to be seen in most TV shows)
>
>Do any of you know any spring watter suppliers in your area that
>uses such bottles ? Or any other sources ?

Sure no problem I got just what you need. I know you don't mind if the
three 4 gallon gasoline bottles I'll send you are tinted blue and have
some ripples and roughings on the sides that affect clarity of seeing
the fish inside.

ObHack:
Trained a monkey to flip hamburgers and used the same motion to get him
a job as a US judge wielding a hammer. Got him to say "ORDER IN THE
COURT" by pressing a button using some programming language that
supports monkeypaw input and Pavlovian conditioning, like standard US
legal training. (Inspired by Mr. Beavis and Mr Butthead.)

ObHackToo:
> a.out Oeroeboeroe < someText.ascii
main(int ac, char *av[]) {
int ch, istr = 0, wlen;
char out_ch;
if(ac != 2) {
fprintf(stdout,"usage: %s <text>\n",av[0]);
exit(0);
}
wlen = strlen(av[1]);
while( (ch = getc(stdin)) != EOF) {
if(isalpha(ch)) {
out_ch = av[1][istr++];
if(istr == wlen) {
istr = 0;
}
} else {
out_ch = ch;
}
putc(out_ch,stdout);
}
}

Kees (At least, so hacks come all smiled back Jim Garrison, jullie
PADVINDERS nu opgegeven voor Vranzje, Kees firm in isolatie zullen
komen.)

Eli the Bearded

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
In alt.hackers, Kees van den Doel <kvan...@xs4.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> People kept getting wet rears when they sat down on their toilets,
> unless they were really really fat . It's kinda difficult to describe
> this exactly, without being, you know,..., *gross*. Anyways, one day a
> smart farmer took the thingy from his plow-horse, which looks like the
> punchline of this joke, which is why I can't be more explicit, le'ts
> call it a HorseTac, and put it on top of his toilet and sat on it and
> did his thing and did not fall through for once, and did not need to
> suffer the embarassment of asking for help to retrieve himself.

And now Oeroeboeroeized:
Abcdef ghij lkmnopq rst uvwxy zabc defg hij lkmn op qrstu vwxyzab,
cdefgh ijlk mnop qrstuv wxyzab cde . Fg'h ijlkm nopqrstuv wx yzabcdef
ghij lkmnopq, rstuvwx yzabc, def ghij,..., *lkmno*. Pqrstuv, wxy zab c
defgh ijlkmn opqr stu vwxyza bcde fgh ijlk-mnopq, rstuv wxyza bcde fgh
ijlkmnopq rs tuvw xyza, bcdef gh ijl K mno'p qr stuv wxyzabcd, ef'gh
ijlk mn o PqrstUvw, xyz abc de fg hij lk mno pqrstu vwx yza bc de fgh
ijl kmn opqrs tuv wxy zab cdef ghijlkm nop qrst, uvw xyz abc defg hi
jlkmno pqr stuvwxyzabcd ef ghijlk mno pqrs tu vwxyzabc defghij.

> Kees (And Timna was convicted scout 340 2 delen in evenredig is drying
> it strictly speaking from a reproach and Swedish are generally a
> Batens Christof 16 lessen te antwoorden, voorgesteld daar effe
> niet Oeroeboeroe moet VEMEDEN worden.)

What program do you use to generate that pseudotext?

I found some interesting toys for text generation:
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/areas/nlp/nlg/fuf/>
(lisp)
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/areas/nlp/misc/foggy/>
{pascal}

Now, besides emacs, what are my choices under linux for lisp processing?

Elijah
------
lamehack: repairing unsightly auto bumper damage with a cable-tie

Kees van den Doel

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
In article <eli$00040...@qz.little-neck.ny.us>,

Eli the Bearded <*@qz.little-neck.ny.us> wrote:

>And now Oeroeboeroeized:
>Abcdef ghij lkmnopq rst uvwxy zabc defg hij lkmn op qrstu vwxyzab,
>cdefgh ijlk mnop qrstuv wxyzab cde . Fg'h ijlkm nopqrstuv wx yzabcdef
>ghij lkmnopq, rstuvwx yzabc, def ghij,..., *lkmno*. Pqrstuv, wxy zab c
>defgh ijlkmn opqr stu vwxyza bcde fgh ijlk-mnopq, rstuv wxyza bcde fgh
>ijlkmnopq rs tuvw xyza, bcdef gh ijl K mno'p qr stuv wxyzabcd, ef'gh
>ijlk mn o PqrstUvw, xyz abc de fg hij lk mno pqrstu vwx yza bc de fgh
>ijl kmn opqrs tuv wxy zab cdef ghijlkm nop qrst, uvw xyz abc defg hi
>jlkmno pqr stuvwxyzabcd ef ghijlk mno pqrs tu vwxyzabc defghij.

It's "Oeroeboeroe", not "Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz".

>> Kees (And Timna was convicted scout 340 2 delen in evenredig is drying
>> it strictly speaking from a reproach and Swedish are generally a
>> Batens Christof 16 lessen te antwoorden, voorgesteld daar effe
>> niet Oeroeboeroe moet VEMEDEN worden.)

>What program do you use to generate that pseudotext?

I call it "wo" (http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvandoel/wordmixer.zip).

Kees (The cop could you really get there.)

Eli the Bearded

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
In alt.hackers, Kees van den Doel <kvan...@xs4.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Eli the Bearded <*@qz.little-neck.ny.us> wrote:
> >And now Oeroeboeroeized:
> >Abcdef ghij lkmnopq rst uvwxy zabc defg hij lkmn op qrstu vwxyzab,
> >cdefgh ijlk mnop qrstuv wxyzab cde . Fg'h ijlkm nopqrstuv wx yzabcdef
> >ghij lkmnopq, rstuvwx yzabc, def ghij,..., *lkmno*. Pqrstuv, wxy zab c
> >defgh ijlkmn opqr stu vwxyza bcde fgh ijlk-mnopq, rstuv wxyza bcde fgh
> >ijlkmnopq rs tuvw xyza, bcdef gh ijl K mno'p qr stuv wxyzabcd, ef'gh
> >ijlk mn o PqrstUvw, xyz abc de fg hij lk mno pqrstu vwx yza bc de fgh
> >ijl kmn opqrs tuv wxy zab cdef ghijlkm nop qrst, uvw xyz abc defg hi
> >jlkmno pqr stuvwxyzabcd ef ghijlk mno pqrs tu vwxyzabc defghij.
> It's "Oeroeboeroe", not "Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz".

Well you didn't name the program, so I did not have a universal term
for it. Anyway, if you look closely it is not quite what your program
would output for 'Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'.

> >> Kees (And Timna was convicted scout 340 2 delen in evenredig is drying
> >> it strictly speaking from a reproach and Swedish are generally a
> >> Batens Christof 16 lessen te antwoorden, voorgesteld daar effe
> >> niet Oeroeboeroe moet VEMEDEN worden.)
>
> >What program do you use to generate that pseudotext?
>
> I call it "wo" (http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvandoel/wordmixer.zip).

Hmm. No makefile. Also for the same source text it always seems to
output the same output text.

> Kees (The cop could you really get there.)

Just as the net.cops could get you for not writing about hacks in
alt.hackers. I'm not sure about the constraints of the other groups
this is going to.

ObHack:
Needed to merge many pairs of sorted files, where one of each pair
resided on a different computer.

First I wrote a merge sorter tool that takes two files (with - for
stdin) on the comand line. Very simple.

Then I used 'nc' (network cat) to send the file on one side and
nc to read the file on the other.

machine1$ nc -l -p 4400 | merger access.log - > merge.log
machine2$ nc machine1 4400 < access.log

This didn't work so well, though, since after nc on machine1
finished writing, it waited for nc on machine2 to write back,
so neither nc exited. Putting in a '< /dev/null' on machine1
did not help.

So I wrote a 'scat' tool that does not suffer from this limitation.
It either sent of recieved, based on whether is was set up as a client
or a server.

machine1$ scat 4400 | merger access.log - > merge.log
machine2$ scat machine1:4400 < access.log

But then I realized that this would cause problems looping over
all the pairs of files I have. The receive side needed to be the
client, since it is sometimes going to take longer to process than
the send side. So I changed scat so it can send or receive from
the socket as either a client or a server.

machine2$ scat -s 4400 < access.log
machine1$ scat -r machine2:4400 | merger access.log - > merge.log

Then I looped over the files:

machine2$ for each in 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 ; do
scat -s 44$each < $each/access.log &
done
machine1$ for each in 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 ; do
scat -s machine2:44$each | merger $each/access.log - \
> $each/merge.log
done

This sets up a whole bunch of server 'scat's on machine2 each
with a file to send. The hack is that I use a different port
for each file, so that I can get all of the servers up before
the clients try to connect. Then the client side connects to
each in turn and reads the appropriate file.

Elijah
------
marging apache logs from mirrored servers

Kees van den Doel

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
In article <eli$00040...@qz.little-neck.ny.us>,

Eli the Bearded <*@qz.little-neck.ny.us> wrote:

>> >And now Oeroeboeroeized:

[WRONG Oeroeboeroeization deleted]

>> It's "Oeroeboeroe", not "Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz".

>Well you didn't name the program, so I did not have a universal term
>for it. Anyway, if you look closely it is not quite what your program
>would output for 'Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'.

The program name is not relevant but its COMMAND line argument is,
because it is Oeroeboeroe and anythihg else is just plain wrong. If you
don't believe me listen to http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvandoel and even order
a BierDoel CD if you like! HEARING IS BELIEVING!

>> >What program do you use to generate that pseudotext?

>Hmm. No makefile.

At least you're not asking me where to click to make it go.

Here's a makefile for you:
---BEGIN MAKEFILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!_____!!!!
wo: wo.cpp wo.h main.cpp
gcc -O4 -o wo main.cpp wo.cpp
---END MAKEFILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!_____!!!!

>Also for the same source text it always seems to output the same output
>text.

That's not true. I won't insult readers of alt.hackers by pointing out
that

>grep srand wo.cpp main.cpp wo.h

>wo.cpp:static void srand(unsigned int seed);
>wo.cpp:static void srand(unsigned int seed)
>wo.cpp: srand(no_sent);

shows what's goin' on.

>> Kees (The cop could you really get there.)

>Just as the net.cops could get you for not writing about hacks in

^^^

>alt.hackers. I'm not sure about the constraints of the other groups
>this is going to.

No! YOU! (Insert infinite "No! YOU!" loop.)

I think there are severe penalties for potsing to alt.dev.null. In
nl.scouting you can pots "any ideas you have for large programs"
according to their charter. "Large" means morethan 30 LOC in boyscout
arithmetic.

>ObHack:

Uhh..., reads like work to me. Very smart work, obviously. I guess I'm
unclear on the concept of what's a hack.

In the good old days an alt.hackers FAQ used to be potsted here every
week or so, indicating that potsing here is not good enough a hack to be
approved for potsing here and more self-referential stuff.

Kees (

\ / o _
\ / /\ |) /\ _ _ __
\ / | |//|_ /~\ |/~/ | \O O /
\ | / | /| | \ (~~~/| | | || | (__
\/ \/ | | | ) \_. | | | \_/| __)

Wilhelmus van Nassouwe Wilhelmus van Nassouwe
ben ik, van Duitsen bloed, I am of German blood,
den vaderland getrouwe The fatherland married
blijf ik tot in den dood. I will remain till death.
Een Prinse van Oranje A Prince of Orange
ben ik, vrij onverveerd, I am, free untransported by a ferry.
den Koning van Hispanje The King of Spain
heb ik altijd geeerd. I have honored always.

In Godes vrees te leven To live in Fear of Gods
heb ik altijd betracht, I have always attempted.
daarom ben ik verdreven, That's why I have been driven away,
om land, om luid gebracht. for land, for loud has brought.
Maar God zal mij regeren But God will rule me
als een goed instrument, like a good instrument,
dat ik zal wederkeren that I'll come back
in mijnen regiment. in my straightjacket.

Lijdt u, mijn onderzaten Suffer, my undersitters
die oprecht zijt van aard, who are upright by nature,
God zal u niet verlaten, God won't leave you,
zal zijt gij nu bezwaard. shall are you now made heavier.
Die vroom begeert te leven, Who lusts for living religiously,
bidt God nacht ende dag, prays God night and day,
dat Hij mij kracht zal geven, that He will give me strength,
dat ik u helpen mag. that I may assist you.

Lijf en goed al te samen Body and property together
heb ik u niet verschoond, I haven't washed you,
mijn broeders hoog van namen my brothers who have high names
hebben 't ook u vertoond: showed it also to you:
Graaf Adolf is gebleven Count Adolf has stayed
in Friesland in den slag, in Friesland in the battle,
zijn ziel in 't eeuwig leven his soul in the eternal life
verwacht den jongsten dag. expects the youngest day.

Edel en hooggeboren, Highly and nobly born,
van keizerlijke stam, from emperors trunk,
een vorst des rijks verkoren, a king of the empire chosen,
als een vroom christenman, like a devout male christen,
voor Godes woord geprezen before Gods word praised
heb ik, vrij onversaagd, I have, free and not sawed into pieces
als een held zonder vrezen like a hero without fears
mijn edel bloed gewaagd. risked my blood with a completely filled
electron shell

Mijn schild ende betrouwen My shield and the bemarrier
zijt Gij, o God, mijn Heer, are You, o God, my Lord,
op U zo wil ik bouwen, on You I want to build,
verlaat mij nimmermeer. leave me never.
Dat ik doch vroom mag blijven, That I may remain devout,
uw dienaar t'aller stond, your servant t'all stood,
de tirannie verdrijven the oppression drive away
die mij mijn hart doorwondt. who hurts me my heart through.

Van al die mij bezwaren From all who make me overweight
en mijn vervolgers zijn, and are my persecutors,
mijn God, wil doch bewaren my God, will nevertheless keep
den trouwen dienaar dijn, the faithful servant yours,
dat zij mij niet verrassen that they won't surprise me
in hunnen bozen moed, in their angry courage,
hun handen niet en wassen their hands not and wash
in mijn onschuldig bloed. in my innocent blood

Als David moeste vluchten If David had to flee
voor Sauel den tiran, because of Samuel the tyrant,
zo heb ik moeten zuchten so I have had to sigh
als menig edelman. like many noblemen.
Maar God heeft hem verheven, But God raised him up,
verlost uit alder nood, freed from allther need,
een konkrijk gegeven a kidom given
in Israel zeer groot. very large in Israel

Na 't zuur zal ik ontvangen After my vomit I will receive
van God mijn Heer dat zoet, from God my Lord the sweets
daarna zo doet verlangen after which so does longing
mijn vorstelijk gemoed: my kingly nature:
dat is, dat ik mag sterven that is, that I may die
met eren in dat veld, with honour in that field,
een eeuwig rijk verwerven to acquire an eternal empire
als een getrouwen held. like a faithful hero.

Niet doet mij meer erbarmen Not makes me suffer more
in mijnen wederspoed in my return-haste
dan dat men ziet verarmen than that one sees the impoverishment
des Konings landen goed. of the King's land's goodies.
Dat u de Spanjaards krenken, That you piss off the Spanish,
o edel Neerland zoet, o honorable sweet Netherlands,
als ik daaraan gedenke, if I think thereof,
mij edel hert dat bloedt. my noble heart that bleeds.

Als een prins opgezeten Like a prince sitting up
met mijner heires-kracht, with my gentlemen-strength,
van den tiran vermeten from the tyrant measured
heb ik den slag verwacht, I have been expecting the battle,
die, bij Maastricht begraven, that, buried near Maastricht,
bevreesde mijn geweld; was afraid of my violence;
mijn ruiters zag men draven my horsemen one saw running
zeer moedig door dat veld. very bravely through that field.

Ik meet de Spaanse leperd: I measure the Spanish leper:
Ik vind hem niet zo diets. I think he's not so dutch.
Hij eet de Spaansgepeperd He eats the with Spanish peppers
Acadiseerde Frites. and acacia's adorned fries.
Liever dan deze heel Rather than these quite
Minderverteerbare indigestible
Stukjes kwaadaardigheid pieces of maliciousness
Eet ik een fiets. I would eat a bicycle.

Zo het den wil des Heren If it had been the will of the Lord
op dien tijd had geweest, at that particular time,
had ik geern willen keren I'd very much would have liked to turn
van u dit zwaar tempeest. from you this heavy storm.
Maar de Heer van hierboven, But the Lord mentioned above,
die alle ding regeert, who rules all things,
die men altijd moet loven, who one always has to praise,
en heeft het niet begeert. and has not desired it.

Zeer christlijk was gedreven Very Christenlike was driven
mijn prinselijk gemoed, my pricely nature,
standvastig is gebleven steady has stayed
mijn hert in tegenspoed. my deer in bad times.
Den Heer heb ik gebeden The Lord I prayed
uit mijnes herten grond, from the soil of my deer,
dat Hij mijn zaak wil reden, that He will save my business,
mijn onschuld maken kond. my innocence makes an ass.

Oorloof, mijn arme schapen Eargrowth, my poor sheep
die zijt in groten nood, who have to go to the bathroom most urgently
uw herder zal niet slapen, your shepherd won't sleep,
al zijt gij nu verstrooid. even though all of you are absent minded
Tot God wilt u begeven, To God you want to collapse,
mijn heilzaam woord neemt aan, my healing word assumes,
als vrome christen leven, - like devout Christians to live, -
't zal hier haast zijn gedaan. The story here is almost done.

Voor God wil ik belijden For God I want to besuffer
en zijner groten macht, and his great power,
dat ik tot genen tijden that I until no time
den Koning heb veracht, have despised the king,
dan dat ik God den Here, then that I God the Lord,
der hoogste Majesteit, the highest Majesty,
heb moeten obedieren have had to obey
in der gerechtigheid. in the justiceness.

It was written between 1568 and 1572 and finally completed in 1993 by
Col. G. L. Sicherman. The early part is usually attributed to Marnix van
Sint Aldegonde, but others name Coornhert as the author.

The English translation was completed by Kees van den Doel, sometimes
referred to as DOELKEESVANDEN, in 1993.

De volgende info komt van Peter Smulders:

Peter Smulders
Rijksuniversiteit Groningen pe...@nvsf1.phys.rug.nl
NVSF, Nijenborgh 4, tel +31 50 634822
9747AG Groningen, The Netherlands fax +31 50 633471
The following is mostly paraphrased from ref (1).
The Wilhelmus is an acrostic. The first strophe begins with the letter W, the
second with an I etc. Combining the first letters of all strophes leads to the
name "Willem van Nassov". Unfortunately this property got lost in a recent
translation into English, by Kees van den Doel, published in SCN.(2)
It was written between 1568 and 1572. It is usually attributed to Marnix van
Sint Aldegonde, but others name Coornhert as the author. The melody is
derived from an old French song.
In the 19-th century the need for a national anthem arose in the Netherlands.
A competition was held, and it was won by the song "Wien Neerlands bloed
door d'adren vloeit" by Tollens. Although the text of this song is rather
bombastic and rightout racist (it hails the Netherlands' blood, "free from
foreign stains"), it became the national anthem.
Through the years there was a strong move to abandon this anthem and replace
it by the traditional Wilhelmus. However, it was only in 1932 that the Wihelmus
was given the official status of national anthem by the Dutch government.
Some people don't like the reminder in verse two of the German origin of Willem
van Nassau. There were indeed some attempts shortly after world war II to
change the word "Duits" into "Diets".
What I personally have never understood is the logic of the declaration of
loyalty to the king of Spain by the leader of the revolt against the Spanish
rule. For further lack of logic, refer to the translation mentioned above.
---
ref:
1) Gerard Oonk (eindred.), "Wie weet waar Willem Wever woont", deel 2,
1992, J.H. Kok Kampen, IBSN 90 242 6959 8.
2) "Wilhelmus, complete English version", 30 Apr 1993 23:07:46 -0700
);

Kees van den Doel

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
In article <eli$00040...@qz.little-neck.ny.us>,
Eli the Bearded <*@qz.little-neck.ny.us> wrote:

>ObHack:
>Wrote a shell script wrapper around 'cal' so that 'cal 11' tells
>me about November of the current year rather than 11 AD. Basically
>a one or two digit number is a month and a four digit number is a
>year and order doesn't matter.

Shame on you for not potsing a hack to alt.hackers!

The "ObHack" you quote is taught to 2nd year computer science students
from "THE UNIX PROGRAMMING ENVIRONMENT" by Kernighan and Pike who
authored the CAPITALS, and I quote through
O(ptical)C(haracter)R(ecognition):

5.1 Customizing the cal command
II

One common use of a shell program is interface to a program. As an
example of a ment, consider the cal( 1) command:

'33

to enhance or to modify the user program that could stand enhance-

$ cal
usage: cal fmcnth] year
* cal october 1983
Bad argument
* cal 10 1983
October 1983
S M Tu W Th F S
1
2345678
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
$
Good so far Not so good

Jt '5 a nuisance that the month has to be provided numerically. out, cal
10 prints out the calendar for the entire year 10, r current October, so
you must always specify the year to get single month. The important
point here is that no matter what interface tl provides, you can change
it without changing cal itself. You mand in your private bin directory
that converts a more con'~ syntax into whatever the real cal
requires. You can even cal, which means one less thing for you to
remember. The first issue is design: what should cal do? Basically, be
reasonable. It should recognize a month by name. With ti should behave
just as the old cal does, except for converti' into numbers. Given one
argument, it should print the month dar as appropriate, and given zero
arguments, it should month's calendar, since that is certainly the most
common UIC mand. So the problem is to decide how many arguments the them
to what the standard cal wants. The shell provides a case statement
that is well suited decisions: case word in pattern) commands pattern)
commands ;;

esac

The case statement compares word to the patterns from top ~ performs the
commands associated with the first, and only that matches. The patterns
are written using the shell's pattern slightly generalized from what is
available for filename matchil is terminated by the double semicolon ;
;. (The ; ; may be case but we often leave it in for easy editing.)

Anyways, customizing cal is something you do in your DIAPERS, not on
the newsgroup alt.hackers, GOD DAMMIT!

Kees (ZO ERG, EEN EINDE HEADERS Version: 1.9 Frequently Asked Questions
voordat Bier of contact us, een masker opgezet en mogelijkerwijze
ook meer vijanden moeten heten padvinders Oja de aanleiding zich
zal draaiorgels uitdrogen.)

Taneli Huuskonen

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
--
I don't | All messages will be PGP signed, | Fight for your right to
speak for | encrypted mail preferred. Keys: | use sealed envelopes.

surgeon

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00

Kees van den Doel <kvan...@xs3.xs4all.nl> schreef in berichtnieuws
8ch1j5$t1r$1...@xs3.xs4all.nl...

> [WRONG Oeroeboeroeization deleted]
>
> >> It's "Oeroeboeroe", not "Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz".
>
> >Well you didn't name the program, so I did not have a universal term
> >for it. Anyway, if you look closely it is not quite what your program
> >would output for 'Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'.
>
> The program name is not relevant but its COMMAND line argument is,
> because it is Oeroeboeroe and anythihg else is just plain wrong. If you
> don't believe me....

zal ik hier s n analiese oplos flateren?

> listen to http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvandoel and even order
> a BierDoel CD if you like! HEARING IS BELIEVING!

> >> I call it "wo" (http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvandoel/wordmixer.zip).

["knipped" :-)]

> >Just as the net.cops could get you for not writing about hacks in
> ^^^
> >alt.hackers. I'm not sure about the constraints of the other groups
> >this is going to.
>
> No! YOU! (Insert infinite "No! YOU!" loop.)
>
> I think there are severe penalties for potsing to alt.dev.null. In
> nl.scouting you can pots "any ideas you have for large programs"
> according to their charter. "Large" means morethan 30 LOC in boyscout
> arithmetic.
>
> >ObHack:
>
> Uhh..., reads like work to me. Very smart work, obviously. I guess I'm

> unclear....

;-)

> ..on the concept of what's a hack.

Like you hef a kloe.

> In the good old days...

Drollig Jugsentiment

> an alt.hackers FAQ used to be potsted here every
> week or so, indicating that potsing here is not good enough a hack to be
> approved for potsing here and more self-referential stuff.
>

> Kees (

["knipped" :-)]

Kun j n keer "hef ah naais dej" voor ons samplen, yankeedutchy?
Wy scheurden zowat uit onze rok.

Chirurgyn.

Kees van den Doel

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
In article <8csp1d$sl3$1...@news1.xs4all.nl>, surgeon <dok...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

>> Kees (

>["knipped" :-)]

:-)?

>Kun j n keer "hef ah naais dej" voor ons samplen, yankeedutchy?
>Wy scheurden zowat uit onze rok.

Uhhh,... huh?

Kees (It seems a heartless Padvinder world, and 1572 and tulippically
Dutch.)