dutch ICE hockey?

S. Vanderkooy

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
i was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the professional
ice hockey situation in the netherlands. i'm a dual citizen (canadian/dutch)
and have only been to holland once. i'm wondering what levels of
professional ice hockey are available in holland as i would like to
inquire about playing when i am finished university.
if anyone can tell me: what sort of calibre/levels there are in
holland? what the league minimum salaries might be? how many teams exist?
or even anything about the dutch professional ice hockey league(s) i
would greatly appreciate it!
thanx in advance....
Steve Vanderkooy

Gert-Jan Caspers

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96

1. One level of professional ice hockey: low.
2. Low. I think most players are semi-professionals with some sort of
daytime job as well.
3. Fewer every year.

Ice hockey manages to get a negative press in the Netherlands again and again,
mainly because of the violence. And not on the ice, but amongst the crowd.
Ice hockey fans are regarded as soccer hooligans who have been banned from
the soccer games and now seek an alternative passtime.

But seriously, several Canadian/Dutch dual citizens play in the Dutch league.
They can only bring the level up. If you want to play here, see it as some
sort of developmental aid. Don't expect much of the level or the pay.

Gert-Jan Caspers
ger...@sci.kun.nl