Death of King Tribhuvan?

Thomas Lauer

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
I have tried to find out more about
King Tribhuvan's death in 1955 on the
web, but didn't succeed.

Anybody out there with a pointer or
(even better) some facts?

I am especially interested in knowing
the exact date and place. From my
research it might be Nepal or
Switzerland. All information
is appreciated.

Thx for any help

--

Thomas

thomasDOTlauerATvirginDOTnet
with DOT = . and AT = @ :-)

Codename Cyber-Fox

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
King Tribhuvan died in a hospital in Zurich, Switzerland. His dead body was brought back to Nepal in a coffin (which you can still see in Hanumandhoka museum). He was 48 when he died of heart attack. I have forgottern the exact date.

ashutos...@my-deja.com

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
The year of his death is 1955 or more accurately 2011 B.S.

I wonder though why the King went to Switzerland -- of all the
places -- in the first place for treatment in the 1950s. One
would think that England or America or even India, give Nepal's
diplomatic ties at the time, would have been more convincing
venues to undergo medical treatment.

Please correct me if my knowledge of economic geography is poor:
But Zurich was and is more famous for [clandestine] banking than
for world-class medical treatment facilities.

Pico Iyer, in his book, "Video Night in Kathmandu", gives the
impression that King Tribhuwan was a sybaritic fellow, and describes
him as someone who ordered fancy Western goods off the catalogs he
received in Kathmandu. The goods -- wines, automobiles and so
on -- would then be carried by porters all the way from
Nepal's borders to the Palace.

oohi
ashu

In article <81hp5t$is...@failsafe2.brunet.bn>,
"Codename Cyber-Fox" <cybe...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01BF370E.D3381100

> King Tribhuvan died in a hospital in Zurich, Switzerland. His dead

body =
> was brought back to Nepal in a coffin (which you can still see in =
> Hanumandhoka museum). He was 48 when he died of heart attack. I have =
> forgottern the exact date.

-=
> -------
>
> Thomas Lauer <thomas...@spam.no> wrote in message =

> > I have tried to find out more about
> > King Tribhuvan's death in 1955 on the
> > web, but didn't succeed.

> >=20

> > Anybody out there with a pointer or
> > (even better) some facts?

> >=20

> > I am especially interested in knowing
> > the exact date and place. From my
> > research it might be Nepal or
> > Switzerland. All information
> > is appreciated.

> >=20
> > Thx for any help
> >=20
> > --=20
> >=20
> > Thomas
> >=20
> > thomasDOTlauerATvirginDOTnet
> > with DOT =3D . and AT =3D @ :-)
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01BF370E.D3381100

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
> http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
> <DIV align=3Djustify><FONT color=3D#ff00ff
face=3DArial><STRONG>King=20
> Tribhuvan&nbsp;died in a hospital in Zurich, Switzerland. His dead
body =
> was=20
> brought back to Nepal in a coffin (which you can still see in =
> Hanumandhoka=20

> museum). He was 48 when he died of heart attack. I have forgottern

the =
> exact=20
> date.</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
> <DIV align=3Djustify>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV align=3Djustify>
> <HR>
> </DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Thomas Lauer &lt;<A=20
> href=3D"mailto:thomas...@spam.no">thomas...@spam.no</A>&gt;
wrote =
> in message=20
> <A=20

href=3D"news:383c2bb...@news.virgin.net">news:383c2bbf.222413@news.
v=
=
> From=20
> my<BR>&gt; research it might be Nepal or<BR>&gt; Switzerland. All=20
> information<BR>&gt; is appreciated.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Thx for any =
> help<BR>&gt;=20
> <BR>&gt; -- <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Thomas<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;=20
> thomasDOTlauerATvirginDOTnet<BR>&gt; with DOT =3D . and AT =3D @=20
> :-)</FONT></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01BF370E.D3381100--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Cyber-Fox

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
King Tribhuvan loved to live a luxurious life, as did many of his of his predecessors and successors. But then who doesn't? But he also wanted his "subjects" to have a good life. That's where his greatness lies.

As for the question why he went to Switzerland to have treatment instead of London or New York or New Delhi, I am also in the dark. Nepal's history books do not say regarding this. My personal view is that he was returning from London or Paris or some place, and on the way he fell ill and maybe Zurich was the nearest airport to land. But then I may be wrong. Do you know the date he died?

Thomas Lauer

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Thanks for the information.
This helped a lot.

Thomas Lauer

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
BTW he died on the 13 March 1955 according
to an obscure reference book in my local
library.

Thomas

GP

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
I am not interested in justifying King TBBS'S treatment at
a hospital in Zurich or he would have gone to India for better
Diplomatic relation. Its already 48years since he died, and
world has changed a lot. As a joke, I would rather believe
he went to Zurich because the world divided to East and
West (=left and right), and he probably wanted remain neutral
and thats why he opted Switzerland. How wonderful he was
to choose a neutral country to make Nepal theoretically
always Neutral. Is not it a more satisfactory reason...
looking at the time he died.......

Well, regarding buying things looking the european catalogs,
I don't think thats so bad. After 48 years of his death,
we can still see many Nepalis going to America by selling
their father's land why? Is it because America is today's
brand and I will ask you why did you use Harvad Catalog?
(Just joking: Apology if you find it offensive). Let it
be your choice and it was King TBBS' choice to buy
European things because he had access to resource, the
way many Nepalis going to America have access to resource
(their parental money.. land...). And, we (in SCN)
advocate democracy, opportunity and choice, why should we
be bothered with King TBBS's personal choices, being himself
a human why can't he buy the things of his capacity. He
should.....

Bye bye.
GP

--
"If you can't return a favor, pass it on." - A.
L. Brown

ashutos...@my-deja.com

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
Dear GPji,

You are missing the point altogether. In a spirit of stimulating
kura-kani, let me clarify a little bit by drawing an analogy, and
then explaining my position further:

Thomas Jefferson sired children with one of his his black female
slaves. Sure, you might argue that it was Jefferson's "personal
preference" to do so. OK. But why does any student of history care
about that fact 100-plus years after Jefferson's death?

That student cares because of Jefferson's stature in
American history. It's as simple as that. Jefferson was
no ordinary man as a visit to Monti Cello (highly
recommended) in Virginia makes that abundantly clear. And
that's why history is not only concerned about what he
preached, but how also how he lived.

Likewise, I'd say that to many of us young Nepalis, who grew up
reading government-produced pro-Panchayat textbooks in schools
across Nepal in the '80s, King Tribhuwan was always presented
as the ultimate paragon of democratic values. So much so
that even the Jan Andolan of 1990 has been billed as
"restoring" democracy -- the idea being restoring in 1990
what King Tribhuwan "gave" to the janata in 1951.

So, we have heard too much bhajan about King Tribhuwan.
But so little about the man himself. Why is this?
I don't know. But as someone who finds history very
exciting and intelllectualyu engaging, I'd like to
find out more.

For starters, as an informal student of history, I'd like to
know what the King's reaction was in when his "boxing guru" Dharma
Bhakta was hanged in 1941.

I'd also like to know how the King strove to reconcile, if at all,
his preferences for ordering stuff out of Sears Catalog or Harrods'
Catalog while worrying about his janata ko material poverty.

I'd like to know how he trained and educated his son, later to be
King Mahendra, to interpret Saat Saal ko Praja.tantra. I mean,
only ten years later, Mahendra clamped down on the democracy
and started his Panchayat rule.

Pico Iyer describes King Tribhuwan as the one with "plucked eywbrows,
and scented breath". Now, I know of fashion-models who pluck their
eyebrows and chew on mint . . . but the King of Nepal of doing
this in the 1950s? What does this mean? I don't know. Was plucking
eyebrows an "in" thing among Nepal's royalty?

I could go on. If we were talking about one ordinary Nepali,
maybe most of us wouldn't care about that Nepali's personal
life. But we are talking about King Tribhuwan. Panchayat had had
his fill to make us sing his bhajan for too long.

Now is the time for us to focus the searchlight of history -- in
the orm of questions even if those questions do not provide
easy, ready answers -- to the past and find out why we were
the way we were, and why our leaders were the way they were.

Please feel free to disagree.

oohi
ashu

<81lg4v$vej$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Net-oholic

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
Some history books say that King Tribhuvan was "deeply saddened" by Dharma Bhakta's hanging. But he was powerless do stop that as he had no executive power. But nobody really knows how he really felt. Maybe you should start doing a research on that.

King Tribhuvan did love to live a life of luxury as many of his predecessors and successors. He keenly followed the "fashion" of the 50s Europe. Just look at his picture when he was young. He used to sport a Hitler-style moustache, which was very popular in Europe during the 30s, 40s and the 50s. But there's nothing unusual about that because a lot of rajahs, maharajahs, nawabs and other royals in India did the same at that time. Also the Ranas shut him out of decision making or executive power, and he had nothing else to do except to ENJOY himself, and he did just that. His two wives were Indian princesses, so they may also have some influence on him.

King Mahendra loved to exercise power. He was autocratic to the core. Maybe he was more influenced by his Rana peers (all the Ranas are related to the royal family) than by his father. And since there was not much age difference between father and son (only 14 years), may be King Tribhuvan had little influence on his autocratic minded son.

But since we don't really know much about King Tribhuvan, you may be right. May be he wasn't what his image makes him out to be.

P.S. I don't care much about the royals.

ashutos...@my-deja.com

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
In article <81oqor$is...@failsafe2.brunet.bn>,
"Net-oholic" <neto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Some history books say that King Tribhuvan was "deeply saddened" by =

> Dharma Bhakta's hanging. But he was powerless do stop that as he had

no =

> executive power. But nobody really knows how he really felt. Maybe

you =

> should start doing a research on that.

I am not a trained historian -- just somebody who likes to read
history in his spare time -- while juggling, yes, are you listening
spnepali? -- ten different things :-). That reminds me, I have yet
to meet a Nepali student in the US who's pursuing history as
either an undergrad or a graduate student.

Maybe because we Nepalis know so little about our own various
histories -- that is, critical perspectives regarding our histories --
maybe that's why our level of public debate about politics,
history and society concerning Nepal is so awfully low.

Just a thought.

As the dean of Nepali historians Mahesh Chandra Regmi has written
in his latest book on Gorkhali Empire (and I paraphrase here):
Intrigues and stuff surrounding Nepali politics today were as
alive as they could be 200 years ago.

Let Regmi's insight be the lesson number one to any Chicken
Little who thinks --oh so falaciously -- that Nepal's present
political problems are UNIQUE to these times only.

oohi
ashu

Net-oholic

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Those who say that Nepal's present political problems are unique are ignorant. Most people who have very little knowledge of history talk like this. Things have always been the same, only the players (and sometimes the methods) are different. There have always been intriques, conspiracies and horse-trading in one form or another.

But then some older people like to say that their generation was better than ours. There's absolutely no truth in their claim. But then their fathers and uncles probably told them the same thing.

Like you, I am just someone who likes to read history in my spare time. It helps us to look at things in a different light. Keep it up.

nepali...@my-deja.com

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Greetings,
Its interesting to see the sudden rise of intellectual appetite for
learning more about our own country and history rather than Free Market
or Globalization.
I am not a student of history but I do have a deep interest in learning
about my country's past (does this qualify me to jump in this
discussion?)
Anyway, My grandfather worked in the palace for more than 60 years and
was close to Tribhuvan and his son Mahendra. I,as a little kid growing
up heard many "colorful" stories of king Tribhuvan's past.
Yes, KIng Tribhuvan lived his life like a real King. He, according to
my grand father spent 100000 on his hair alone, that he had Tattos all
over his body, was a playboy, was interested in getting things from all
over the world and was the most handsome man alive that time.
That's how he lived his life and I don't think there's anything good or
bad about it. That was his life, he had money to do anything and
everything with it (*where he got the money is a whole different story).
But, we can not forget his contribution to the Nepali people. Though
Ashu won't agree with me if I say he put his throne and status on stake
when he went to Delhi to throw the autocratic Rana regime. Although the
historians and politicians now agree whether or not that move was the
right thing or the *only thing* to do but I certainly believe that was
a good thing to do. Otherwise "saat saal" would have come a decade
later.
Talking about his reaction to the death of Dharmabhakta Mathema, I
remember hearing that he(King Tribhuvan) cried taht day and that day he
decided to go to any extreme to throw the Rana regime. After the tragic
incident, the relationship between the King and the Prime-Minister
Juddha Shumsher became really hostile and as a result juddha Shumsher
decided to resign from his post and went to Ridi to become
a "Rajarshi"(I don't know how to explain this term but you all being
intelligent folks , I leave it to your good selves to brain storm)
Those of you who are really interested in this topic (digging out the
past), There are some good books. There is a book called "With the King
on Clouds" (or something like that by a woman named Erica, who worked
in the palace for many years and it was her advice to go to Switzerland
instead of the US or England for Check Up. Other good books are "Ridi
dekhi ranchi Samma" "Shree teen maharaj harooko itti britti" (or
something like that) and "Tyas bakhatko Nepal" by Sardar Bhim Bahadur
Panday.
Keep up the good dicussion, inform, entertain and educate all of us.

"open for discussion"

Nepali Kancha

Net-oholic

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
I find it really difficult to subscribe to the view that Juddha Shumsher abdicated to be a "rajarsi" because of bad vibes with King Tribhuvan (whatever your father might have told you). He went because he wanted to escape from the constant "pressure" exerted by the ambitious and conspiratorial Mohan Shumsher and his brothers. Like father like son, that Mohan Shumsher was. Maybe, Juddha Shumsher was afraid that if he hung on to power too long, Mohan and his brothers would get him (read that as "kill him") in the end. Padma Shumsher, who took over from him, suffered the same fate. He was so afraid he would be assassinated that he just gave up. And that after proclaiming that he was the "servant of the people". Did you know that he cried in front of Nehru?

And also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with learning about Free Market and Globalisation. They are the order of the day. When you are going forward, don't forget to look at the rear mirror. But while you look at the rear mirror, don't forget to go forward.

P.S. I am not a professional historian. I am just someone who likes to read history in my spare time. May be if you read more history, you'll look at the emergence of free market and globalisation in a more favourable way. That's what history gives you - a different perspective. Believe me, most "extremists" (whether religious or political) are extremists because they don't really know history (their own and others').

mabi singh

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Good argument...Net-oholic, you should write more.
Would you mind if you do the postings in the plain-text. I have no problems viewing this but some one might have.
BTW..Do you know somebody called Cyberfox..just curious!!!
REGARDS
Mabi

mabi singh

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99

mabi singh

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99

Nepal2055

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
Nice topic for discussion and read. I wish we could get some more topics like
this and this site will be worth visiting. Thanks for all participating on the
discussion. Keep up. Dhanyabad.

Subas

GP

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
In article nepali...@my-deja.com wrote:
> Greetings,

>Though
> Ashu won't agree with me if I say he put his throne and status on
stake
> when he (Tribhuvan) went to Delhi to throw the autocratic Rana
regime.

(rest deleted>

> "open for discussion"
>
> Nepali Kancha

Hi! Kancha! nice to meet you again! (if you are the same
one in RBS's discussion forum during last G. election....)

Well, I am not satisfied with the blind interpretation of TriB.
going to Indian Embassy: there should be 2 possibilities:

1. He honestly left Palace to put Ranas in Problem
2. He went to save his own clan from the possibility of
assaissantion (check spl?) of whole family. The rumor of
leaving Gyanendra at Mamaghar was just because of not-having-
enough-time. Opposite to Panchayati Historians' interpretation.

Can someone locate an Internet site where I can find a
Picture of Young Tribhuvan (if any).

Thanks.
GP

--
"Finally, he impresses me as a man who knows himself well,
and who has sense of self-irony. He has burned all his bridges

Can we compare TriB.'s move with MG?

nepali...@my-deja.com

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
Hi! GP,
Well, I am not the same Nepali Kancha who participated in the
discussions on General elections. He is Nepali kancha and I am
nepalikancha (no space in between!).
I liked your comments GP. Maybe that was what really happened. Maybe
going to India was the only thing to save the entire Royal Family. But
I have read somewhere (I don't really recall where) that King
Mahendra , then the Crown Prince, was strongly against going to India.
He wanted to go to Gorkha instead and Bahadur Shumsher (*who later died
quite mysteriously in the Hyderabad House) was incharge of making an
air strip in Gorkha , so that the Royals could travel back and forth.
And, as far as the story goes, they (KT and KM) had a big discussion in
the Indian Embessy (sp?? and because of all the ptressure Mahendra had
to follow his father *uwillingly* to India.
This strong defensive nationalism of Mahendra was I think somehow
responsible for bringing in "satra Saal" but as I wrote in my ptrevious
posting we can not really get into the head of people and find out what
they are or were thinking (unless, one happens to be a psychic).
Sorry, GP I don't know where to find King Tribhuvan's picture. I myself
wanted the picture of King Mahendra for a class, quite a while ago but
couldn't find it anywhere.
Anyway , what's the new discussion ??? Why "SAATRA SAAL"

KALOPTIC

Feb 22, 2014, 3:39:15 PM2/22/14
This was indeed a good read. This discussion reminded me of something I use to think about a lot when I used to sit all night reading books on history of Nepal.I always wondered if they were the actual things that had happened. The participants- some polemic while others trying to lionize King Tribhuvan- should realize that we lack enough evidence to ascertain how the King then thought about death of his close friend or his love for prodigality. That said, we cannot debase the contribution that King Tribhuvan had in providing the much needed democracy( though it is more of a political-hegemony-cracy now) and the love we have for the royal family.
Jai Nepal
A Nepali Engineer

subodh...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2018, 10:34:14 PM6/24/18