A CHAT WITH TAMIL ACTOR PRABHU

FARGOES

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
Talented actor awaits challenging roles

It has been a roller coaster ride for actor Prabhu, but he has survived and
made a name for himself. Sudha Umashanker talks to the star.

For actor Prabhu, living in the shadow of a father, whose larger- than-life
screen persona dominated the Tamil film industry for many decades, could not
have been so easy. But it is to Prabhu's credit that he has survived and
created his own niche in the celluloid world. Totting up a figure of 120 films
in 16 years, Prabhu has had his share of hits and misses. Though he has turned
in a good performance in the new release ``En Uyir Nee Thane,'' directed by S.
P. Rajkumar, Prabhu is waiting for a really big hit to bolster his career.
Launched into filmdom by director C. V. Rajendran, producer Devaraj, lyricist
A. L. Narayanan and ``guardian and mentor'' uncle V. C. Shanmugam, who had
produced films like ``Thangapadakkam'' and ``Vietnam Veedu'', Prabhu's entry
into films was not something thespian `Sivaji' Ganesan wanted.
An accomplished sportsperson, academics was not Prabhu's cup of tea and he quit
college. Under the watchful eyes of his uncle, he got into production as
executive producer but roughed it out with the workers. ``At times, my uncle
used to ask me to pull up a chair for the artistes, because he wanted us to
learn everything the hard way and be disciplined. My father would not bother
about us because he thought what my uncle did was right''. But with the film
offers that came his way, Prabhu's life took a new turn. He made his debut in
the Tamil film ``Sangili'' (remake of the Hindi film ``Kalicharan'') directed
by C. V. Rajendran, as a supporting hero cast in a character role mould.
``By the time my first movie was released, I had six films in hand including
``Thalaimagan'' and ``Pudiya Sangamam'' (directed by Charuhasan) and ``Kozhi
Koovuthu'', a love triangle, which proved to be my first major hit. It was a
musical romance, directed by Gangai Amaran and I played an MGR fan.''
Being `Sivaji' Ganesan's son had its advantages. ``No one else would have had
the kind of openings I had to start with,'' he says. It also had its flip side.
``My father is a phenomenon. It's like I am under a banyan tree. I am still
known as ``Sivaji's'' son. I am proud of it.''
After about 30 films, including 19 with his father (among which figure
``Sangili'', ``Sandippu'', ``Mridanga Chakravarthi'' and ``Needipathi''),
Prabhu says his career graph registered a drop which forced him to do some soul
searching.
``When I came into the industry, I did not know a thing about cinema. I did not
consciously choose subjects. Any offer that came was accepted. My father and
uncle never selected movies for me. They felt I should learn the ropes
myself.'' Slowly, realisation dawned and he decided to be more choosy about his
subjects. It also turned out that ever since, he has not acted with his father
with the exception of ``Pasumpon,'' directed by Bharathiraja in which there was
no combination per se with `Sivaji' Ganesan but just a flashback.
Making a fresh start, Prabhu signed up for ``Aruvadai Naal'' (directed by G. M.
Kumar) and ``Paalaivana Rojakkal'' with Sathyaraj (dialogues by M. Karunanidhi
and direction by Manivannan). Both proved successful, ushering in another phase
of hits like. ``Guru Sishyan,'' directed by S. P. Muthuraman, ``Agni
Nakshathram'' directed by Mani Ratnam, ``En Thangatchi Padichava''
``Chinnathambi'' and ``Sentamil Paatu'' by P. Vasu besides ``Manasukul
Mathappu,'' directed by Robert Rajasekharan and ``Chinna Mapillai'' by Santhana
Bharathi.
But the successful run did not last and he soon faced another slump. ``My last
film which did well was ``Panchalangurichi'', directed by Seeman. Subsequently,
``Thedinen Vanthathu'' did averagely and ``Iniyavale'' flopped.''
Though he has played both character roles in films like ``Raja Rishi'' directed
by K. Shankar and ``Palaivana Rojakkal'' and handled comedies too, he feels
people have loved him more in lighter vein roles as in ``Chinnathambi,''
``Sentamil Paatu,'' ``Chinna Mapillai,'' ``Guru Sishyan'' and ``Dharmathin
Thalaivan'' (both with Rajnikanth and directed by S. P. Muthuraman).
``But I cannot keep doing `Chinnathambi'-type of roles all the time. A lot of
my family-oriented roles have worked out very well as have the village-based
themes.'' Prabhu says he tries not to typecast himself and attempts something
new in each film. But the results have been mixed. ``We did something different
in ``Iniyavale'' in vain.''
``But when a film fails at the box-office, one has to accept it because it is
the audience's verdict. Today, with competition from the television, only if a
film is really good, people want to go to the theatres. If it is an average
movie they do not want to see it.''
What makes or mars a film is still a subject of mystery to most film persons.
``A successful director does matter because there is the initial hype. And we
do want to play safe at times by going in for established directors. We have
got to think business.'' Again today there are so many new directors coming in:
Ravichandran - ``Kannathire Thondrinal'', Agathiyan of ``Kadhal Kottai'' fame.
If you are confident about something, it is bound to succeed. But then, I think
films are a gamble. The least one can do is learn from one's previous films and
try not to be an utter flop, be open to feedback, try to incorporate good songs
and good comedy.''
How important is the co-star in the success of a film? ``A film is like a
football team. It is not enough if the hero and heroine are good. The music,
the co-artistes, the camera work, everything should be good. As a hero, I can
say that there are films where the co-artistes have turned in very good
performances and because of them my movies have done well. With artistes like
Radhika, Radha Ravi, Kartik and Sathyaraj who are really good, one has to be
careful. That is why my father always says that even when it is not your shot,
remain on the sets. Observing what the others are doing is very important. It
may be your scene and you may be acting well. But with just one shot or
reaction, the other person could steal the show.'' Certain pairs like Khushboo
and himself were considered lucky, he agrees. ``But when we keep acting in a
lot of movies together it becomes monotonous.''

Having done many dual hero films, Prabhu observes, ``At times you feel let down
when the other hero's role is better. With or without the director's knowledge,
scenes may not turn out in our favour. When that happens one has to go and
explain to the director the feeling of deprivation. Only if one is satisfied
with what one is doing, can dual hero films be a success.'' He acknowledges the
fact that in recent times a lot of committed youngsters have entered the field.
``They are very smart and know what to do.''

Where does he see himself, in the midst of superstars like Rajni and Kamal and
the younger crop like Vijay, Surya et al.

``If one's movie is good, it runs. There are producers who still believe in me.
I have not had good movies of late. But I have had average movies. Average
movies are not good enough in today's context. I need really good movies.
Nobody has doubts about my abilities. I think I have done my work well. When
you put in so much of effort and the movie does not run, the amount of work you
have done goes unnoticed. I have to ensure that the handful of pictures I have
are very good. My next release is S.S.K. Productions' ``Manam Virumbuthe
Unnai,'' directed by Sivachandran. It has comedy, action and sentiment. Kasturi
Raja's ``Gummi Paatu'', has a typical folk flavour in which I play an
anti-hero.''

Prabhu has the distinction of doing an English film titled ``Eli My Friend'',
direct by Murali Mandrayar. The other non-Tamil film he did was ``Kaalapani''.
There was so much cooperation from all the artistes and Mohanlal is the kind of
actor who if he thinks a scene is yours does not try to steal it.''

Does Prabhu talk about films to his father? ``Ever since my first film, if my
father is acting with me, he will show me what to do like he shows the other
artistes. Off the sets, we hardly talk about movies. If I want him to see a
movie of mine, I will see the print first and if its not good enough, I will
not call him at all. He will not express his feelings but I am sure he is
worried about what I am doing or not doing. He saw ``En Uyir Nee Thane'' and
liked it. If he does not like something he would not hesitate to say so and
would say I could have taken extra care. He has appreciated a few of my films
like Bharathiraja's ``Pasumpon'' and Ravichandran's ``Thedinen Vanthathu'',
which was a comedy - he loves comedy. After I broke my knee during the shooting
schedule I have put on a lot of weight and he told me I have to lose weight. I
have never been slim. I think it runs in the family. But that is not an excuse.
It has not come in the way of offers though.''

``I am in awe of my father. When I came into movies he was just my father.
After I became an actor, I respect him even more. He is a born artiste. I was
moulded into an artiste. I have so much to learn from his performances. I will
try to live up to his name.''

HC

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
1. I think you are in the wrong newsgroup. You should be posting this to
soc.culture.tamil.
2. There is hardly any talented actor/actress of any standing in the Tamil
movie world.

Rajini and Kamal are 'not' talented. They are made to look good in movies
by clever directors. Neither can they dance. Look at the no. of split moves
in Kamal's Bharatha Natyam (wonder how many re-takes) as compared with a
single continuous presenetation by Prabu Deva.

There is a very talented actress Vijayashanti but she is not seen much
nowadays.

Tamil movies (the good ones if any) take a long time to produce simply
because there have to be so many re-takes. If you had talented actors you
can easily produce pictures in half the time.

Talented movie actors usually move from stage to screen. This hardly
happens in the Tamil world. Sad but true.

FARGOES <far...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19981119214724...@ng27.aol.com>...

TelltheTruth

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
to HC
It's OK. Dr M reads this newsgroup....He learns from Tamil actors..

devt...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2016, 3:22:12 AM3/30/16
dear mr prabu
thanks for reading this letter
I am an old cottonian I am from Sri Lanka I was in boarding school with you I ran with you in the junior school relay team for just one year and you moved on to the senior team my name is Anthony please if can send me an email
my email address is devt...@gmail.com

rocket...@gmail.com

May 30, 2017, 9:36:26 AM5/30/17