Mona Fandey, hubby and assistant hanged (The Star)

Ahmad Sayuthi

Nov 3, 2001, 2:57:24 AM11/3/01
The Star (www.thestar.com.my)
Saturday, November 3, 2001

Mona Fandey, hubby and assistant hanged

PETALING JAYA: Mona Fandey, her husband and their assistant Juraimi Husin
ate a KFC meal each before they were taken to the gallows early yesterday
and hanged for the gruesome killing of Batu Talam assemblyman Datuk Mazlan
Idris eight years ago.

Family members were allowed to visit Mona, Mohd Affandi Abdul Rahman and
Juraimi, who were in individual cells in Kajang Prison, on Thursday night.
About 12 members of Mona’s family were there to bid their farewells.

Mona, 45, Affandi, 44 and Juraimi, 31 were sentenced to death by the
Temerloh High Court on February 9, 1995, for killing Mazlan between 10 pm
on July 2 and 12 midnight on July 18, 1993, in Kampung Peruas, Ulu Dong,
Raub in Pahang.

Mazlan’s widow Datin Faridah Zainuddin said over a cellular phone: “I can
finally bury the past behind me although it happened eight years ago.”

Faridah, 34, who declined to say where she was, said she hoped now to carry
on living her life with her children without the painful memories.

The remains of Mazlan, who had gone missing on July 2, 1993, were found
buried 1.8m beneath the storeroom of an uncompleted house on July 22. The
body had been hacked into 18 parts.

The trio’s trial, which saw 59 witnesses for the prosecution, gripped the
nation for 65 days.

The Federal Court rejected their appeals on April 13, 1999. The Pahang
Pardons Board also rejected their application for clemency.

While Mona and Affandi were buried in Kajang soon after the hanging,
Juraimi was buried at the Telok Gong Muslim cemetery in Port Klang in the
afternoon.

Villagers, relatives and close friends visited the home of Juraimi’s
parents in Kampong Datok Sanad, off Jalan Telok Gong, from 10am onwards to
pay their last respects after the body was brought from the prison at 9am.

Juraimi’s father Husin Jamaluddin, 59, thanked the prison officers for
taking care of his son while in prison.

He also thanked the many villagers, friends and neighbouring village folks
who came to pay their last respects.

Husin said that when he met Juraimi the night before, his son did not say
anything and was calm.

Husin said he accepted the whole episode as part of life and hoped people
would pray for his son that his soul would rest in peace.

Juraimi’s counsel Karpal Singh said that adequate time should be given to
condemned persons to prepare before they are executed. He said Juraimi’s
father only found out at about noon on Thursday that his son would be
executed yesterday morning.

“No doubt Juraimi has to pay his debt to society by facing the hangman but
a prisoner condemned to death does not lose all his residual rights.

“Husin should have been given adequate notice so that he could meet his son
before he was hanged.

“I have confirmed with the Kajang prison authorities that the father did
not have the opportunity to meet his son for the last time although some
other family members met him late on Thursday,” he said.

Karpal Singh said while there was no law in Malaysia which stated that a
condemned person be told when his death sentence would be executed, the
prisoner should be given reasonable notice to make a will, wind up his
affairs and arrange to see his loved ones before his execution.

X-Men

Nov 3, 2001, 11:14:20 AM11/3/01
padan muka!

"Ahmad Sayuthi" <wri...@tm.net.my> wrote in message

DJ AtomBong

Nov 3, 2001, 10:00:18 PM11/3/01
> The Star (www.thestar.com.my)
> Saturday, November 3, 2001
>
> Mona Fandey, hubby and assistant hanged
>
> PETALING JAYA: Mona Fandey, her husband and their assistant Juraimi Husin
> ate a KFC meal each before they were taken to the gallows early yesterday
> and hanged for the gruesome killing of Batu Talam assemblyman Datuk Mazlan
> Idris eight years ago.

Mona Fandey incident happened when I was in Form 4 back home and
surprisingly I can still remember them.....probably coz I wasnt smoking the
herb back in the days..... I wonder though if they asked for some booze,
lobster, oyster and some gudang garam ciggys, if the authorities could
oblige them? Or is there some budget on their final meal? KFC????? LOL!!

Ahmad Sayuthi

Nov 4, 2001, 2:07:19 AM11/4/01
"DJ AtomBong" <djato...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Mona Fandey incident happened when I was in Form 4 back home and
> surprisingly I can still remember them.....probably coz I wasnt smoking
> the herb back in the days.....

Ah, now we know your age:)
That was my first year as a journalist too, having abandoned the teaching
profession. And the newspapers, especially the tabloid Harian Metro, were
real laku due to that shocking and brutal murder.

> I wonder though if they asked for some
> booze, lobster, oyster and some gudang garam ciggys, if the authorities
> could oblige them? Or is there some budget on their final meal?
> KFC????? LOL!!

Yes, actually. They do have a budget for a last meal. I dunno about the
booze though...