Dr Ng shocked by Roselan’s mindset

fairplay

May 24, 2004, 9:10:12 PM5/24/04
The Star Online > Nation

Tuesday May 25, 2004

Dr Ng shocked by Roselan’s mindset

KOTA KINABALU: The Umno division leader here who made a callous remark
about rape victims has come under scathing attack for his insensitivity.

Wanita MCA chairman Datuk Dr Ng Yen Yen said she was shocked by
Roselan Juhar’s mindset, adding that it was preposterous to link his
comment to Confucius.

She said Roselan was “confused” because the Chinese philosopher did
not have such a saying attributed to him, adding that Roselan should
apologise to rape victims and women. Dr Ng said Roselan had insulted
Confucius who preached compassion, love and respect.

Women’s Aid Organisation said the statement by Roselan was
misogynistic, insensitive and trivialises the very suffering,
degradation and horror experienced by rape survivors.

Executive director Ivy Josiah said public officials should be made
more aware of the nature and effects of rape before expressing their views.

Chief Minister Datuk Musa Aman wants to meet Roselan, the Kota
Kinabalu Umno pro tem committee chief, over his remarks about rape that
has outraged women’s groups.

“What Roselan has said is unacceptable,” Musa said on Sunday.

Musa said he would advise Roselan, who had announced his intention to
contest for the Kota Kinabalu Umno division chief post, to be careful
with his words in future.

Roselan, who was quoted on Saturday as saying that “if you cannot
fight rape, better lie down and enjoy it,” has since apologised for his
remarks which he said had been misconstrued.

“The remarks could have been in bad taste but I did not mean it to
sound like that,” a local newspaper quoted him as saying in a statement.
He also said sexual offences were heinous crimes and that such offences
deserved stiff penalties.

Sabah women leaders including Deputy Minister of Housing and Local
Government Datuk Azizah Mohd Dun and state Umno Wanita chief Datuk
Dayang Mahani Ahmad Raffae have demanded that Roselan retract his remarks.

Related Stories:
Furore over remark on rape

© 1995-2003 Star Publications (Malaysia) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)

ignoramus

May 25, 2004, 1:14:57 PM5/25/04
On Mon, 24 May 2004 20:10:12 -0500, fairplay <fair...@hiwaay.net>
wrote:

>The Star Online > Nation
>
>Tuesday May 25, 2004
>
>Dr Ng shocked by Roselan’s mindset

She expresses shock only?

Why don't she call for Roselan's resignation?

Mr_Magoo

May 25, 2004, 10:15:37 PM5/25/04
ignoramus <remove_me...@freeonline.com> wrote in message news:<3vu6b058hh31uib58...@4ax.com>...

> On Mon, 24 May 2004 20:10:12 -0500, fairplay <fair...@hiwaay.net>
> wrote:
>
> >The Star Online > Nation
> >
> >Tuesday May 25, 2004
> >
> >Dr Ng shocked by Roselan?s mindset

> She expresses shock only?
>
> Why don't she call for Roselan's resignation?

Cannot ler... Same boat mah. Even the shock expression might just be a
ploy for damage control. Or else she would have come out with a much
stronger statement. :)

Rgds,

Mr Magoo

Alex

May 25, 2004, 11:02:54 PM5/25/04
Aiya... calling for someone's resignation is the 'trademark' of the
oppositions and not the ruling party ma... they are abang-adik what?

Cheers,
Alex

jay

May 26, 2004, 1:18:45 AM5/26/04

time for the politicans to call a spade a spade. roeslan's comments
were very offensive to victims of rape. what is pak lah's reaction?
hangat hangat tahi ayam ke?

ignoramus

May 26, 2004, 11:38:02 AM5/26/04
On Wed, 26 May 2004 11:02:54 +0800, "Alex"
<alex_rem...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Aiya... calling for someone's resignation is the 'trademark' of the
>oppositions and not the ruling party ma... they are abang-adik what?
>
>Cheers,
>Alex

Ini perbuatan ahli politikus yang melampau. Tak kira abang ke atau
adik, hentam sajalah.