Re: Barriers to asylum.

David Dalton

Oct 7, 2023, 10:43:38 PM10/7/23
On Oct 5, 2023, Corey White wrote on alt.magick
(in article<dca8caa9-1a1e-4e6f...@googlegroups.com>):

> The proposition of erecting a barrier between the
> United States and Mexico carries a spectrum of adverse
> implications and consequences. Firstly, it bears the
> potential to strain the diplomatic rapport between these
> two neighboring nations. The physical act of constructing
> such a divide can be interpreted as a hostile gesture,
> fostering an atmosphere of distrust and possibly
> precipitating disputes, particularly in realms such as
> trade and security cooperation.
>
> From a humanitarian vantage point, the presence of a wall
> may dissuade individuals seeking refuge or attempting to
> traverse the border to escape violence, persecution, or
> dire economic circumstances. This raises apprehensions
> regarding the curtailment of access to safety and sanctuary
> for the most vulnerable members of society.
>
> In a symbolic context, a border wall may be construed as
> a manifestation of division and isolationism, potentially
> conflicting with the historical ethos of the United States,
> characterized by principles of openness, inclusivity, and
> diversity. It runs the risk of projecting a message of
> exclusion to the global community, with potential
> implications for the nation's standing on the international
> stage.
>
> A border wall may project an unfavorable representation of
> the United States onto the global canvas. This portrayal
> could be seen as incongruous with American ideals of
> liberty and opportunity, potentially influencing the
> nation's international reputation and relations.
>
> In the complex debate surrounding immigration and border
> security between Mexico and the United States, a compelling
> alternative emerges-a focus on breaking down the linguistic
> barrier rather than constructing a physical wall. This approach
> offers numerous advantages, rooted in diplomacy, cooperation,
> and a recognition of shared interests.
>
> One of the most immediate benefits is improved
> communication. A language barrier inherently restricts
> dialogue between individuals on both sides of the
> border. Removing this barrier creates an environment
> where open and productive conversations can flourish.
> This newfound communication channels can foster
> cooperation on critical issues such as trade, security,
> and environmental concerns. When two nations can
> effectively communicate, they are better equipped to find
> mutually beneficial solutions to common challenges.
>
> Eliminating the language barrier fosters a deeper cultural
> understanding between Mexicans and Americans. Language is
> a gateway to a culture's values, history, and traditions.
> Breaking down linguistic walls can lead to increased
> tolerance, empathy, and a more harmonious coexistence
> between the two nations.
>
> From an economic perspective, removing language barriers
> offers substantial benefits. It opens up new markets,
> encourages cross-border investments, and facilitates trade.
> Bilingualism can become a competitive advantage for businesses
> [...]

Good article, Corey, and I have added some groups
where it might be of interest.

"And the cart is on a wheel; And the wheel is on a hill
And the hill is shifting sand; And inside these laws we stand” (Ferron)