What is the difference between Lao Loum food and Hmong food

legends1228

Dec 2, 2002, 6:37:34 PM12/2/02
Can somebody tell me what is considered to be the etnic food of Lao
Loum and Hmong?

I always considered dish like Laub and Tum Mak Hounng to be the food
of Lao Loum. I went to a Hmong new year and they have this area where
they show off their food. There was this one Hmong girl all dress in
her traditional clothe showing the food to this one reporter that was
there. The dish that the reporter was sampling was what else, Laub and
Tum Mak Hounng. Was this Hmong girl misguided to belive these were
some of her ethnic food?

Message has been deleted

Michael

Dec 3, 2002, 10:14:39 AM12/3/02
Hmong in the US should be ashamed of themselves for taking others
culture mainly from the Lao and claimed as theirs. This past summer my
friends and I went to an Asian festival, we heard a Lao music but then
it was translated to Hmong and the dancers were all dressed in Lao
tradition clothing. The weird part was they were (Hmong Association)
and said it was a Hmong, I guessed they got no Hmong pride and tried
to brainwash others as Hmong instead of Lao. But all the Asians mainly
the Laos and Thais were just laughing to their silly performances. I
went to a Hmong New Year with my friends from school once, I noticed
the same thing the food, music, and dance were all Lao. I asked my dad
about this and he told me the Hmong and Lao doesn't eat the same thing
in Laos. When my dad used to live in Laos, he went to a Hmong village
and nothing was like this. He said Hmong started to eat like Lao
people when they migrated to Lao cities, to Thailand, and to the US.
There is no need to worry that Hmong took our culture and food because
as long as we know is ours. Even my Thai internation student friends
said laarp and sticky rice is Lao and all the Essan people in the
northeast of Thailand. One of my Hmong friends said to me at the Hmong
party, "There is no such thing as a Hmong food, music, dance, etc they
all took from the Thais and mainly from the Laos."

Noiy

Dec 3, 2002, 10:43:08 AM12/3/02
legen...@yahoo.com (legends1228) wrote in message news:<cbf51980.02120...@posting.google.com>...

Legends:

Tum Mak Houng and Larb have always been two of many popular dishes in
Laos. Any Laotian be it in Laos or abroad still loves these dishes,
although some may not like Tum Mak Hung. Therefore, we should be proud
that the girl dressed in Hmong beautiful dress had the courage to
proudly show the reporter her ethnic food, and that is from Laos. You
know that more and more young people, including those from Laos,
forget their traditional dishes and instead prefer "junk food", i.e.
hamburger and the likes.

Hak Pheng

Noiy

Fisherman

Dec 3, 2002, 1:43:35 PM12/3/02
Sabaidee Michael,

Michael wrote:
> Hmong in the US should be ashamed of themselves for taking others
> culture mainly from the Lao and claimed as theirs.

I disagree. There is nothing wrong with adapting what is good of others'
to be yours. That's how we enrich our cultures. Americans adapt music
styles from South America, Africa, India, Japan, etc., Thais adapted Lao
folk songs (Saravan, Tangvai, Kubtoom, etc.). The Hmong are Laotians.
It's perfectly OK for them to present what is good of Hmong, Lao,
Taidam, Mien, etc. to the world. In fact, that only helps to improve the
awareness of the American people of our cultures and language.

At Lao festivals, we do exactly the same thing. We show off the
beautiful colorful costumes, folk songs, dances, musical intruments of
our multi-ethnic people as many as we know and have available.

No, we should not be ashamed to adapt what's good of others'. On the
contrary, we should do constant research of the good things of others,
adapt and preserve them, and improve them with modern technologies, be
it music, folk songs, languages, or foods.

That's my two cents worth.

Hakpheng,

Fisherman

Mongshee

Dec 3, 2002, 5:48:50 PM12/3/02
Legend and all:

Isn't it the way for Hmong to assimilate into Lao Loum's culture so
they can be accepted by Lao Loum?

As a Hmong, I would say that we should inform the public anything is
borrowed from other culture as an adoptive or borrowed.

We happen to love many of Lao traditions that may of us are trying to
adopt or borrow them so hard. Next time any one of you, Lao Loum, see
such ambarassing act just jump in to help. I am sure those involve
will appreciate.

regards,

ms

SmokeThis!

Dec 3, 2002, 6:27:45 PM12/3/02
Michael:

You seem to be forgetting traditions evolve and keep involving that is
the way of life. I have no problem about Lao-Hmong and Lao-Lum
inter-mixing. "Seen pi pa ma." Hmong this, Lao that... who point
fingers had never taste Hmong foods. I happen to be one who love
Hmong foods because most of my dad's best friends happen to be Hmong.

Yes, here is one Laotian who love Hmong dishes and absolutely there
are some Lao-Hmong that likes Lao-Lum dishes as well.

Lao-lum have change and borrow many Chinese dishes specially stir fry.
And on this topic go figure this out, most Vietnamese love to eat
pa-deak more that Lao-lum. Oh yes, Pho (fer) is never Lao-lum dish
but Vietnamese's and even kao-pun is eaten by many Vietnamese.

My point is you can not live close by each other without inter-mixing
of traditions, cultures, foods and way of life. So never jump in any
conclusions of finger pointing.

sibtham

Dec 3, 2002, 7:10:48 PM12/3/02
Some of these postings insinuated anger and animosity toward Hmong for
very weak reason. The two dishes in question were only a pretext to
open a new round of insult. The Lao people should be happy and feel
more proud that even Hmongs love these dishes and indeed they do. The
food's origin will be always recognized and there is absolutly no
reason to make a case out of it. Nowaday, food has become serious
business and famous dishes around the world have gained popularity in
the international scene. Hmong would simply claim these dishes as
American would claim Italian's pizza as American food, and this is
just one example. Those who try to make fun of Hmong, don't laugh so
loud because you are not better than Hmong. Sibtham.

Pao

Dec 3, 2002, 8:51:32 PM12/3/02
Michael_Sayavon,

You must too young to understand what is meant to be "Lao".
MOst Hmong in the US are khum Lao and you must be happy that they are
still eating lao food, play Lao music and so on. Some Hmong are even
more Lao than many ethnic Lao. So... they are still trying keep the
lao custom alive!

Laos is a multi-ethnic society and you will find hybrid of food,
culture, music, clothing and customs - but they are all Lao - or
rather khum Lao but different ethnic (xeuat xat) groups. Even many
chinese and vietnamese lao-born are more Lao than some ethnic Lao. You
just have to attend a Hongkong Chinese party and a Lao-chinese party
and you can see the real different.

I am really proud to see that despite being refugees and resettled in
a different country, many lao-born people, regardless of their
ethnicity, still trying hard to retain as much of their laoness as
possible. But sometimes it is das to see that many aspect of the Lao
culture is disapearing and at some functions, you only see remnants of
bits and pieces... but at least they have the gut to exhibit whatever
they can retain. Even those youngs who are born outside Laos are
being taught some thing about about the laoness. For example, my
youngest daughter, age 11 years old, can dance natasin as good as any
one else - Ouiphone pimay, Dokchampa, lao kase dances ect... and she
is Australian born! but because she has a Lao-born Hmong father,
lao-born chinese mother and lao-born Lao teacher but growing up with
Australians only.

Many things in any culture is a hybrid or borrow. For example, the
Baci ceremony is a Hindu ceremony but now it has adopted as a national
traditional Lao ceremony and even the ethnic groups have also adopted
as well as being part of lao custom.

More later...

Pao

casalao

Dec 3, 2002, 9:40:34 PM12/3/02

"sibtham"

just a few misguided souls i suppose. i am very cranky at pointless
ignorance.

casalao

otdevien

Dec 4, 2002, 12:41:11 AM12/4/02
legends and micheal,
there is nothing wrong with sharing cultures and ideas. in fact, it is
an essential process of elvolution. just as laotians borrowed
buddhism from india, written language from cambodia and government
from soviet(bad choice), lao-hmongs are exposed to more main stream
stuff. i think this is a complement. someone is actually interested in
our way of life. you should want to share it not being stingy about
it. we are better for most of the before mentioned things.
furthermore, how can anyone own a culture or want to prevent someone
from being exposed it? always take the high road.

Legends

Dec 4, 2002, 1:31:53 AM12/4/02
otdevien,

I have nothing against sharing. Civilizations influence each other and
people influence one another. If you copy someone elses work and claiming
it to be your that is wrong.

Sok Di

"otdevien" <otde...@mailandnews.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Fraidy-Cat

Dec 4, 2002, 10:09:19 AM12/4/02
"Legends" <Legen...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<sjhH9.232594$P31.93437@rwcrnsc53>...

> otdevien,
>
> I have nothing against sharing. Civilizations influence each other and
> people influence one another. If you copy someone elses work and claiming
> it to be your that is wrong.
>
> Sok Di

Legends, I do agree with you. However, I like to share with you what I
have learned. What has made Jack Welch the best CEO? Well, according
to what I have learned, he enjoys learning and listening to others. If
he had liked a person&#8217;s idea, then he would take and treated it
as his own.

Michael

Dec 4, 2002, 11:19:22 AM12/4/02
First of all, I have nothing against people sharing culture, religion,
food, etc. because this is part of human life and this has had
happened since the beginning of time. We all borrowed something from
different race at one time or others. I mean at home, my mom loves to
cook pho (fur) and spring rolls… I loved it. When I shared these foods
with my non-Asian friends they all think it was Lao, but I told them
it is Vietnamese origin. But what made me mad is the people who just
adapted other's culture did not give the originals' any credits or
they did not acknowledged it was others'. Even in America, we all know
pizza is Italian and Taco is Mexican origin. For example, at my
university we had an Asian month, all the Hmong students did a dance
called saravan, shared their food with others such as laarp, sticky
rice, and had a showcase featuring traditional items mainly Lao things
from Laos. But they told other race who happened to be non-Asian that
it was Hmong. They did not mention anything about Lao people or Laos.
These incidents caused anger and hatred among the Lao students toward
the Hmong students. As for me, I have nothing against Hmong people
because I have many Hmong friends myself and my parents never taught
us to hate them. My dad always told my siblings and I that Hmong are
one of the many ethnicities in Laos and that they are Lao too.

SmokeThis!

Dec 4, 2002, 4:26:04 PM12/4/02
many mainstream lao-loum have missed the boat here (IMHO). seems that
the people who against lao-hmong adopting some of lao-loum way of life
or foods have never been exposed to lao-hmong or lao-kmhmu and it's
very sad.

let the chips landed where it is and accepted it and see the positive
side of the fence here not the lost of your laoness but the gain of
laoness. if you disagree than you all should bark up the thai-tree
because thai have adopted so many things that arte laoness, for
example, sticky rice, larb (thank god they only know beef larb) to
name a few.

i see the same division within our own people and yes, that is sad.
when you divide your own people, vietnam conqure... digest this a
little longer.

Noiy

Dec 4, 2002, 9:02:29 PM12/4/02
Michael...@excite.com (Michael) wrote in message news:<e9e69b16.02120...@posting.google.com>...

Michael:

Most people know where Lao and Hmong came from. From Laos. You compare
Lao dishes and Vietnamese dishes, but that's OK because Laotians and
Vietnameses are from two different countries. On the other hand, Lao
and Hmong are two of many ethnics living in Laos for centuries.
Another fact is that Tum Mak Hung and Larp are not only enjoyed in
Laos by Laotians. Have you been lately in some of those famous Thai
restaurants in the US or Europe that serve really AUTHENTIC Thai
dishes to westerners and that include Som Tum, Larp, and Kai Yarng.
Yep, you can find these dishes not only in Isarn but also in BangKok
and elsewhere. They become more and more popular not only among Thai
people but also among westerners in Thailand. Now, in order for most
Laotians to open a "profitable" restaurant serving Lao food, they
usually have to borrow the name "Thai restaurant". People don't know
what is Lao food. Even the so-called Thai dishes themselves as served
in many Thai restaurants are not really Thai dishes, compared with
those enjoyed by Thai folk in Thailand. Also have you happened to be
in some of those very rare Lao restaurants in the US? If yes, you
would be surprised to see some of those so-called Lao-dishes they
serve there (what's at??? in response, the Lao cook just smiled at
you). So when you look at the bigger picture you will realize that the
issue of who's Tum Mak Hung or Larp (is it Lao or Hmong or Mien or
Thai Dum?) becomes ridiculous and can lead to a bad and even
destructive feeling among us Laotians? Don't you agree with me?

Hak Pheng

Noiy

Fraidy-Cat

Dec 5, 2002, 12:48:17 AM12/5/02
sm0k...@yahoo.com (SmokeThis!) wrote in message news:<b26dbc69.02120...@posting.google.com>...

That was my point Smokethis. Diversity is the best.

Legends

Dec 5, 2002, 1:20:28 AM12/5/02
Too many reply with something blowing out of proportion. I think most of
you missed the point I was trying to make. I already clarify my post. I will
do it again here.

This is not about being racist, or jealous, or greedy, or not understanding
the about the difference with other ethnic people, or not about influence
or incorporating something to be part of you or your culture. It is not
about food, politics, religions, or history. It is about giving credit,
making acknowledgement and about being true to oneself.

"Fraidy-Cat" <Frai...@volcanomail.com> wrote in message

casalao

Dec 5, 2002, 7:37:31 AM12/5/02

"Legends"

you'll have to forgive that hmong girl in the heat of cooking and showing
off to the camera crew for not 'giving' the proper credit where's its due.

have you tasted the two dishes? if they tasted 'good -->excellent' then just
let go meaning that the land of laos has done something pretty good: besides
spreading its smiles around she also knows how to share its foods to other
ethnics too.

casalao

laophouan

Dec 5, 2002, 2:30:16 PM12/5/02
Frai...@volcanomail.com (Fraidy-Cat) wrote in message news:<a2df5c09.02120...@posting.google.com>...
It's a small different between Laolooms and Laosoongs foods:
Laoloom's larb-seur=beef,
Laosoong Larb-seur=mountain lion?(real seur)
Laoloom's soup=chikens, fish soup
Laosoong's soup=plain water.
Oh! I think Mr. LaoChainoyXiengKhouang have better explain.
L/P