The origin of the Garza surname.

Steven Garza

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Well, I don't know if Garza is Basque, Sephardic, or just plain Spanish but
here is the origin:

Steven

NUEVO LEON APUNTES HISTORICOS
LIC. SANTIAGO ROEL
MONTERREY, NUEVO LEON MEXICO 1980
CHAPTER LXI
REVELACION DE LA ESTADISTICA
PAGE 322
EL APELLIDO GARZA
RESEARCH BY ISRAEL CAVAZOS GARZA

In the state of Nuevo Leon, especially in its capital, Monterrey, the most
frequent surnames on record, are in order: Garza, Gonzalez, Martinez,
Garcia, Trevino, and Villareal. Garza is the most abundant, and can be
affirmed and without exaggeration that there are very few people in Nuevo
Leon that have not been part of the Garza ancestry.
The Spanish origin of these surnames, just as the majority of surnames in
Mexico, with the exception of the Garza surname, has always been well
defined. The Garza surname has motivated doubts and diverse suspicions
because it is not found in encyclopedias, nor any Spanish publications, nor
in other Latin American countries not even in the other areas of Mexico. It
is exclusively of this northern region, as stated before. It is a curious
circumstance of being, notwithstanding the most numerous of surnames.
After very laborious investigations and extensive research, a young man of
this state and resident of Guadalupe, Israel Cavazos, also distinguished
paleographer and with a promising career and brilliant success in the
History discipline, finally accomplished the finding of the origin of the
Garza surname by locating the testimonies of some of the original Garzas in
this region.
>From these testimonies, his findings concluded that the first Garza that
came to Mexico, was Marcos Alonso Garza y del Arcon, originally from the
town of Lepe in the province of Huelva, Spain. He took up residence in the
capitol of the country, Mexico City and joined in matrimony with Dona Juana
de Trevino. Sometime in 1569 he moved his residence to the villa de
Guadiana, which is now known as Durango. There two sons were born, Alonso
and Joesph, whom in 1599 with him, moved to Nuevo Reyno de Leon. (Nuevo
Leon)
Marcos Alonso Garza y del Arcon remarried with a lady of the surname
Falcon. From this marriage, two other sons were born in el Real de Mapimi.
They were Pedro and Blas, whom moved to Monterrey in 1605.
Blas married in Saltillo, Coahuila, Beatriz Gonzalez Hidalgo and from this
union four sons and twelve daughters were born*. And this is precisely from
Blas de la Garza Falcon where the majority part of the Garzas evolved.
The four sons of this matrimony were:
Miguel, whom married Gertrudis Garcia Renteria, daughter of Jacinto Garcia
de Sepulveda (first mayor of Cerralvo, - first capitol of Nuevo Leon) and
Clara de Renteria.
Lazaro, first married Petronilla de Montemayor, daughter of Miguel
Montemayor and Monica Rodriquez.
He then married Ines de Saldivar Ayala y Sosa, daughter of Diego de Ayala
and Margarita Saldivar.
Francisco, married Leonor Garcia, sister of Gertrudis Garcia Renteria.
Juan married Margarita de Montemayor, sister of Petronila de Montemayor.
Miguel's matrimony produced eight sons and six daughters: Jacinto, Julian,
Antonio, Miguel, Felix, Juan, Pablo and Manual.
Lazaro's first marriage produced seven sons and four daughters: Miguel,
Fancisco, Pedro, Santiago, Jose, Isidro and Matias. From the second
marriage, he had Manual, Antonio, Marcos, Lucas, Juan and Lazaro and three
daughters.
Francisco had nine sons and six daughters: Jose, Eugenio, Teodoro, Blas,
Francisco, Clemente, Juan Antonio, Jose Alonso and Nicolas.
Juan and Margarita had Salvador, Juan, Jose and Blas plus two daughters.
*The twelve daughters of Blas and Beatriz were: Isabel, Margarita, Leonor,
Beatriz, Juana, Francisca, Melchora, Luisa, Antonia, Apolonia and Maria
whom was the only one to remain single.
Senior Blas managed to live ninety years and served as Monterrey's
councilman, magistrate, mayor, judicial judge and lieutenant governor.

A genealogical tree that exists in the castle of Tor, in the province of
Lugo, Spain, begins with Pedro Garza de Castillion, the "Old Man", who
lived in the XIV century. It is said that, since the VIII century, the
times of Ramiro I, there exist a Garza whom the King granted nobility of
Tor for bravely fighting against the Normands in one of their raids on
Galicia. As a code of arms for that Garza, there is a castle where an arm
extends in the position of defense.

Marcos Frid

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
Garza means "stork" in Spanish.

Regards,

Marcos Frid

Steven Garza

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
Well close, but not quite. Garza is a heron in Spanish. Or are storks
herons? Or vice versa?

Steven

adam...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2019, 10:22:43 PM2/6/19
Steven!

I know this post is dated, but I'm hoping I can still reach you.
How did you gain access to these references that you've cited? I just looked up

"Nuevo León Apuntes Históricos . Lic. Santiago Roel"

and it's being sold for $400.

My main question for you is if you can verify that Marcos Alonso Garza y del Arcon remarried with a lady of the surname Falcon. I'm having trouble finding this info.