Learning the alphabet

mei...@erols.com

Jul 18, 2005, 10:52:57 AM7/18/05

I have a 5-year old friend who didn't do well in pre-kindergarten, if
one can believe that is possible. He doesn't know his letters! (Why
do they call them "his" letters?)

His parents would like him to catch up to the other kids before the
fall. He doesn't write them all correctly, and I'm not positive he
can start with just a name and draw every one of them.

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions of video-tapes?

Any suggestions of what kind of store in the US would sell the
previous suggestions?

I'm just interested in buying an appropriate gift, hence the questions
above. But while I'm here, I'll mention these things:

I don't know about 5-year olds. He doesn't talk a lot and it's still
very hard to tell what he says much of the time, although he has
improved from last year. During this past year, he has had elocution
lessons or whatever they call them these days. His 12 year old sister
has been able to understand him for years.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

This post reflects the author's opinion; the moderators' opinions may differ.
Posters seeking medical or halachic information should consult competent
authorities in those fields.

ACKs are handled by an autoresponder. Munged From:/Reply-To: means no ACKs.
Use "X-Ack-To: address" to redirect ACKs; it won't show up in the final post.
Use "X-Ack-To: none" to suppress Acks. "X-Ack-To:" goes on a line by itself.
--
This forum discusses issues specific to childrearing in a Jewish context.
Submissions: scjp-...@scjp.jewish-usenet.org ** NEW ADDRESS **

fred

Jul 19, 2005, 9:46:02 AM7/19/05

mei...@erols.com wrote:
> I have a 5-year old friend who didn't do well in pre-kindergarten,

> if=3D20 one can believe that is possible. He doesn't know his
letters!

> (Why=3D20 do they call them "his" letters?)

> His parents would like him to catch up to the other kids before

the=3D20

> fall. He doesn't write them all correctly, and I'm not positive

he=3D20

> can start with just a name and draw every one of them.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Any suggestions of video-tapes?
>

> Any suggestions of what kind of store in the US would sell the=3D20

> previous suggestions?
>

> I'm just interested in buying an appropriate gift, hence the questions
> above. But while I'm here, I'll mention these things:
>
> I don't know about 5-year olds. He doesn't talk a lot and it's

> still=3D20 very hard to tell what he says much of the time, although
he
> has=3D20 improved from last year. During this past year, he has had
> elocution=3D20 lessons or whatever they call them these days. His 12
> year old sister

> has been able to understand him for years.
>
> Meirman

If he has other difficulties besides recognizing letters, maybe they're
related. Someone was concerned enough to get him "elocution lessons"
(speech therapy?). Maybe the speech therapist would have some insight
into the total situation, and be able to suggest supplementary
resources.

And maybe his sister is part of the problem. Why learn to enunciate
when he has a ready translator (and probably advocate)?

mei...@erols.com

Jul 21, 2005, 2:53:50 PM7/21/05
version=2.63

In soc.culture.jewish.parenting on 19 Jul 2005 13:46:02 GMT "fred"
<fre...@juno.com> posted:

>mei...@erols.com wrote:
>> I have a 5-year old friend who didn't do well in pre-kindergarten,
>> if=3D20 one can believe that is possible. He doesn't know his
>letters!
>
>> (Why=3D20 do they call them "his" letters?)
>>
>> His parents would like him to catch up to the other kids before

>the fall. He doesn't write them all correctly, and I'm not positive
>he can start with just a name and draw every one of them.

>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Any suggestions of video-tapes?
>>
>> Any suggestions of what kind of store in the US would sell the=3D20
>> previous suggestions?
>>

>> I'm just interested in buying an appropriate gift, hence the questions
>> above. But while I'm here, I'll mention these things:
>>
>> I don't know about 5-year olds. He doesn't talk a lot and it's
>> still=3D20 very hard to tell what he says much of the time, although
>> he has=3D20 improved from last year. During this past year, he has had
>> elocution=3D20 lessons or whatever they call them these days. His 12
>> year old sister
>
>> has been able to understand him for years.
>>
>> Meirman
>
>If he has other difficulties besides recognizing letters, maybe they're
>related. Someone was concerned enough to get him "elocution lessons"

Thanks for replying. His parents.

>(speech therapy?). Maybe the speech therapist would have some insight

I'm sure my friends have talked to the speech therapist.

>into the total situation, and be able to suggest supplementary
>resources.

Maybe so, but I'm out of town and can't contact the ST. I was looking
for something that *I* could get him. Any ideas?

>And maybe his sister is part of the problem. Why learn to enunciate
>when he has a ready translator (and probably advocate)?

They're only together less than half of the time. She's definitely
not a ready translator.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Kevin Karplus

Aug 22, 2005, 9:48:09 AM8/22/05

On 2005-07-21, mei...@erols.com <mei...@erols.com> wrote:
> In soc.culture.jewish.parenting on 19 Jul 2005 13:46:02 GMT "fred"
><fre...@juno.com> posted:
>
>>mei...@erols.com wrote:
>>> I have a 5-year old friend who didn't do well in pre-kindergarten,
>>> if=3D20 one can believe that is possible. He doesn't know his
>>>letters!
>>>

>>> His parents would like him to catch up to the other kids before
>>the fall. He doesn't write them all correctly, and I'm not positive
>>he can start with just a name and draw every one of them.

It is not necessary for a child to know all the letters before
kindergarten---that and numbers are the two main parts of the
kindergarten curriculum. It probably varies with school district, but
at the school my son went to something like 30% of the kids did not
know their letters at the beginning of the school year.

>>> Any suggestions?

Sit with the child and practice recognizing the letters the letters
out of favorite books. Read to the child with the book and the child
on your lap.

>>> Any suggestions of video-tapes?

No, videos are probably not the way to go. One-on-one attention to
the letters while reading is probably more productive.

>>> Any suggestions of what kind of store in the US would sell the=3D20
>>> previous suggestions?

I don't know any store that sells time with a caring adult.
Some preschools do.

>>> I'm just interested in buying an appropriate gift, hence the questions
>>> above. But while I'm here, I'll mention these things:
>>>
>>> I don't know about 5-year olds. He doesn't talk a lot and it's
>>> still=3D20 very hard to tell what he says much of the time, although
>>> he has=3D20 improved from last year. During this past year, he has had
>>> elocution=3D20 lessons or whatever they call them these days. His 12
>>> year old sister
>>> has been able to understand him for years.

Delayed or incomprehensible speech is a more serious problem for a
5-year-old than not knowing his letters, but they may be related.
There may be a general langauge deficit that requires more than just
speech therapy. I assume that his hearing has been tested and that he
has been evaluated by a child psychologist.

>>If he has other difficulties besides recognizing letters, maybe they're
>>related. Someone was concerned enough to get him "elocution lessons"
>
> Thanks for replying. His parents.
>
>>(speech therapy?). Maybe the speech therapist would have some insight
>
> I'm sure my friends have talked to the speech therapist.
>
>>into the total situation, and be able to suggest supplementary
>>resources.
>
> Maybe so, but I'm out of town and can't contact the ST. I was looking
> for something that *I* could get him. Any ideas?

I can't think of any physical objects that will substitute for
spending time with the child. Since you are not able to spend time
with him, you need to talk with his parents and find out what they are
willing to accept in the way of help (a good preschool sounds like the
best bet to me).

Kevin Karplus kar...@soe.ucsc.edu http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
(Senior member, IEEE) (Board of Directors, ISCB)
Affiliations for identification only.

Adelle

Aug 22, 2005, 9:56:10 AM8/22/05
version=2.63

Hey Meirman,

Nice to hear from you again.

To just plain learn the alphabet, there is a great floor puzzle that is a
train, Each car is a separate letter. An adult helps the child sing the
alphabet song and then find the letter. Since each letter is isolated, and
not cut up between two pieces, it's a very clear focus and easier to make
the association. The child learns through repetition. We got it at a toy
store (Kids and Kadoodle which was absorbed by Toys-R-Us).

The child may not be developmentally ready for writing. My son could
identify letters, but could not write them legibly until he turned 7. He
still has issues with 'directionality.' Every child has their own timetable,
no matter what we would like for them.

Given this child's speech issues (my son worked with a speech therapist,
too), having trouble learning and writing the alphabet may mean he needs
some Occupational Therapy or has something rooted in a learning disability
or something neurological (for my son, it is the latter. But it is so
borderline that we still haven't gotten it clearly diagnosed. We are still
working on it.)

Some developmental ways to teach letters is to make play-doh
snakes/logs/tubes and shape them into letters (first over an example, and
then parallel to it, and finally, without an example). Drawing them in
shaving cream or other substances (like sand, rice, pudding, finger paint,
or using pipe cleaners...). Trying to shape them using bodies, teaching ASL
finger spelling (for English).... We used these successfully in both the
preschool and the Hebrew School for both alphabet and aleph bet. Sometimes,
a child needs an explanation that letters are a symbol for a sound and if
you make 'this' drawing, it tells the brain that someone is trying to
represent 'that' sound.

There is also a program called Handwriting Without Tears which includes
writing readiness ideas and stuff for pre-schoolers and kindergarteners. You
can order it from their website. I ordered it and think it is great as a
concept. But my son is so negative about his fine motor issues that he won't
use the program.

There may also be similar kinds of things at teacher supply stores like
Hammersmith's and small toy stores that have an emphasis on developmental
toys.

Wishing you luck with your search.

Adelle Stavis